What method does celestia and Luna use to raise the sun and moon

Started by narwhaliagames, 2013 Dec 16, 12:53:48

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

narwhaliagames

My theory is that it's not a super advanced spell that no other pony can use. I think it's a simple levitation spell and the reason not many other ponies can use it is shown in boast busters when twilight lifts the ursa minor and how she can't lift it like she Would a lighter object. So take the mass of the sun and the moon and then you can see how it works
ay i'm no longer using this site

McSleuthburger

Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

narwhaliagames

Puynsi

I think to put it simply, its a "Levitation Spell" Imbued with massive amounts of Magical energy, since there is no G on space you can "simply" push objects towards a direction.

What I wonder is if the sun and the moon were already "layed out" on their respectives orbits... because you know... apocalypse and all that.

Remember that Unicorns are able to Raise Sun and Moon, but its so hard that literally... exhaust them to an extremely dangerous point.

narwhaliagames

Quote from: Puynsi on 2013 Dec 17, 20:26:22
I think to put it simply, its a "Levitation Spell" Imbued with massive amounts of Magical energy, since there is no G on space you can "simply" push objects towards a direction.

What I wonder is if the sun and the moon were already "layed out" on their respectives orbits... because you know... apocalypse and all that.

Remember that Unicorns are able to Raise Sun and Moon, but its so hard that literally... exhaust them to an extremely dangerous point.
thats basicly what i said

Prismatic

I think more importantly how Discord can do it pretty much instantly and at will... :I

Coffee Rush

Throughout the show, the moon is either in a heliosynchronous orbit around the planet, which if the planet was like Earth, isn't possible. Or, it's in Lagrange 2, and the sisters are in charge of rotating the planet.
My OC can be found here!

Teal Turken

Who said they were raising the sun and the moon? I think they're rotating the planet.
Only the moon could be "raised" since it orbits the planet. The sun doesn't orbit the planet, it stays where it is.

Night Pony

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 Dec 19, 18:27:40
Who said they were raising the sun and the moon?

The show?  :P
Remember that many things that we take on Earth for granted are weird in Equestria.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Salnalus

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Dec 20, 04:25:49
Remember that many things that we take on Earth for granted are weird in Equestria.

And this is the logic we should all be following. And seriously, the show itself can prove it. We can explicitly see it in Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 1 when we see Princess Luna raise the moon, and both Princesses lower the moon and raise the sun simultaneously at the end of Part 2. If that isn't an extremely powerful advanced spell, I don't know what is.

Coffee Rush

What if the planet is rotating on two axises, is in an inclined orbit around the sun, and the moon also has one? That could be odd.
My OC can be found here!

Puynsi

What if the isnt THAT big as we think, and has an orbit along with the moon? But it has a different orbit and what Luna and Celestia do is forcing the orbit to be near Equestria and make life possible? This is just a crazy speculation thought.

alexandas

lol guys, isn't it obvious it's just a conspiracy theory!!!!  The Princesses haven't any power to move them! ;)

Actually, what I think is that they have a spell in which demands the sun and moon to keep their specifies orbits and they have to update it occasionally because the spell wares off and that is why they don't constantly move the sun and moon.  Discord simply intensifies this movement for his own fun and pleasure.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
I'm probably not here, but If I am, call me moon rabbits.
This is for you, guys: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=10581.msg878328#msg878328
:ajshifty::-3 (bloomberg)

dynamite

They are lying that they control the sun and moon to make ponies fear them.

Coffee Rush

If they don't do anything, that means that the moon doesn't orbit the planet.
My OC can be found here!

dynamite

I know it's just a cartoon but I always felt if they can control the weather, sun and the moon why wouldn't they just control them to grow the crops they want for the right seasons and other things?

ArtVeigar

Isn't that what they do? All seasons and wheater are important to maintain life in the planet, that's why they have it. The only place capable of growing and surviving without pony interference is the Everfree Forest.

I don't believe they move the Sun and Moon through a levitation spell, but through something with different principles. I think the Sun and Moon are not only a giant ball of gas and big piece of rock flying in the space, but objects full of magic power. They could even be only concentrated mana to begin with, and what makes me believe this is the season 4 premier. When they both are in the sky, they aren't just illuminating the planet, but bringing day and night together. A spell to be able to interact with these specific objects, not a simple advanced levitation spell, might be the way to raise and lower them.

dynamite

The sun and the moon are artificial Death Stars and are remote controlled. You can find their blueprints in the Canterlot Library.

Midnight Breeze

And I thought I'd never be able to use this video in a non-joking way...

Dawnstar

Honestly, I still don't think we know quite enough about Celestia and Luna's abilities to make a very accurate assessment of how the sun and moon work.

I'll list what I can remember about the different things involving the movement of the sun and moon:

- Before the sisters it took over, moving the sun and moon they were moved by large groups of unicorns which means a massive amount of magical power is needed.
- Discord can apparently move the sun and moon around at will which not only fits in well with his domain of chaos, but also shows just how powerful he really can be (the sisters did have to team up on him with the elements to boost their magic after all).
- Whether the planet orbits around the sun and their planet rotates like our own planet is arguable, but the moon at least does not follow any specific orbital rules. The series premier evidenced that enough by what what supposed to be the longest day of the year ended up having an unusually long night because Nightmare Moon was preventing the sun from rising. So that is at least some potential evidence towards the moon at least requiring ponies to move it.
- The sun and moon are also somehow tied to actual night and day rather than the lack of sun causing nightfall as shown in the season four premier. Both the sun and moon were in the sky and day and night were literally split between them which means the presence of the sun or moon is what actually causes day and night rather than the amount of light covering a particular part of the world like we have on our world.

Feel free to list anything I may have forgotten, but from my personal point of view, there is pretty strong cause to suggest the possibility that Equestria's solar system doesn't follow the same physical laws that ours does.

How the prior unicorns and the current sisters actually move them can only really be speculated until if/when it is explained in the show.

Go Up