What are your thoughts on Twilight becoming an Alicorn?

Started by Julius, 2013 Jan 29, 14:06:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Book Smarts

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Jan 30, 14:52:51
can we just close the thread?  Having such a controversial subject as a topic is bound to just result in a flamewar, and from what I've seen there's one that already happened here.  It's asking for trouble.  Plus, things like this drive away and drive apart otherwise friendly and well-mannered individuals.

Blues, I apologize for the negative reactions and the foolish, singleminded responses you have gotten for your honest opinion.  Please don't take any of it to heart, I'm sure much of what was said was not thought through before it was posted.

Everypony else, I also apologize for the backlash and the arguments that sprang up as a result of honest questions and opinions you may have posted.  I'm sure much of that is also the result of simple misunderstanding or not thinking things through.

Personally, I'm not going to be stating opinions or comments, to keep from feeding potential flamers and trolls, if there are any.  I would highly recommend closing and retiring the thread, at least until the episode in question airs, and permanently if it does bring about the expected fandom war.

Couldn't agree more  :l

DragonFire

Quote from: Julius on 2013 Jan 29, 14:06:45
I don't intend to create arguments, I just wonder what your thoughts on the situation are, so please try to keep things civil alright? ^-^

As for my opinion... Well... Hay, I don't know. I have so many mixed feelings about this possibly happening.

To me, it doesn't seem fair to the other ponies you know? And being a princess... What would that mean for Twilight? How much would her life change? Would she have to move to Canterlot, for example? :s

At the same time the writers are amazing and they continue to amaze me each week with glorious pony, so I'm sure they can pull it off but... :c

For Luna's sake, I just can't imagine Twilight flying with her own wings dang it. lol

To end this off, I'm guessing that somepony will say that it's not happening because Tara already denied this (I'm looking at you, dear Tiger)... But... This doesn't feel right to me. :/

That link contains spoilers guys, you've been warned. Thanks to Night Pony for reminding me. X3

First and foremost, I'll warn that my comment may or may not contain spoilers to those who have yet to realize this new "situation."

Anyway, I literally just heard about this something like 10 mins ago, and I was shocked. Honestly though, I'm not going to give up on the MLP team just cuz of this. If they can pull this off well, more power to them. HOWEVER, I believe that is going to be a feat in and of itself. Idk how the younger generation of fans will react to it, but from what I can see, a good sized percentage of the Brony/Pegasister fandom is extremely peeved about this. I'm personally going to withhold any opinion on how I feel about Twilight becoming an alicorn until I see how they have her fill in that role. I've read a large amount of fanfictions, including those that show Twilight/Rainbow Dash becoming alicorns, and honestly I didn't mind them because the characters didn't lose the feel of who they were. If the MLP team can turn Twilight into an alicorn but still have her be as much herself as possible considering the situation, then I'll continue to support them. :s

The only part about this that I've heard (may be just rumor, though it makes sense) that really peevs me off though is that it sounds like Hasbro pulled this just for the money... I understand that first and foremost, Hasbro is a corporation that is in the business to make money, but they should be more aware of how we as the fans feel about stuff like this. I mean really, look at the whole Derpy incident. I know that the fandom didn't really decline over it, but compared to altering Twilight's species, that was a very minor change. Like I said before, I feel a lot of the fallout of this is really gonna be based on how it turns out in the episode and in the future, but if they pull this stunt and it doesn't go over well, they'll be kicking themselves very hard.  :l

I guess all I have to say is that I really and truly hope that this turns out for the best that it can. I'll continue to love and tolerate MLP:FIM even if they do a poor job of Twilight's changeover, but it will definitely be an unfortunate experience. Anyway, that's my two bits worth. I hope you all can continue to love MLP no matter the outcome of this "interesting" predicament  ^-^
"Promise me you'll always remember... You're BRAVER than you BELIEVE, STRONGER than you SEEM, and SMARTER than you THINK." ~Christoper Robin

I'm Dragon Fire, and I believe every1, including myself should live by this quote...

OC link: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=6394.0

Blues-Music

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Jan 31, 00:18:10
can we just close the thread?  Having such a controversial subject as a topic is bound to just result in a flamewar, and from what I've seen there's one that already happened here.  It's asking for trouble.  Plus, things like this drive away and drive apart otherwise friendly and well-mannered individuals.

Blues, I apologize for the negative reactions and the foolish, singleminded responses you have gotten for your honest opinion.  Please don't take any of it to heart, I'm sure much of what was said was not thought through before it was posted.

Everypony else, I also apologize for the backlash and the arguments that sprang up as a result of honest questions and opinions you may have posted.  I'm sure much of that is also the result of simple misunderstanding or not thinking things through.

Personally, I'm not going to be stating opinions or comments, to keep from feeding potential flamers and trolls, if there are any.  I would highly recommend closing and retiring the thread, at least until the episode in question airs, and permanently if it does bring about the expected fandom war.

One has a small argument , and he never hears the end of it  :l .
Do not close this thread! The only reason The argument happened was because I was attacked. Which probably will not happen again. I really hate it when there is one small argument , and then everyone breaks about closing threads.

McSleuthburger

Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Rad Thunder

Will this be on topic if I mention this little sentence from the Wiki:

Spoiler: show
When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies

The keyword in there is 'the', not 'her'. So who else is getting switched in this finale?

Sea Foam

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jan 29, 22:37:12
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Mystery_Cure

I hope this is a reliable enough source.

So the title of this episode is a Beatles reference?

I don't even care if the episode is just a picture of a real horse with wings and a horn glued onto it. This is my new favorite episode evar.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Book Smarts

2013 Jan 31, 13:23:43 #106 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 31, 13:29:07 by Book Smarts
Quote from: Blues-Music on 2013 Jan 31, 05:20:24

Do not close this thread! The only reason The argument happened was because I was attacked. Which probably will not happen again. I really hate it when there is one small argument , and then everyone breaks about closing threads.

The problem is that your not being civil about it, you also showed a fallacy in one of your earlier posts. You assumed that people who enjoys an alicorn Twilight, must also have overpowered alicorn OC. That's a conjunction Fallacy

Little Judas

Quote from: Sea Foam on 2013 Jan 31, 12:44:05

I don't even care if the episode is just a picture of a real horse with wings and a horn glued onto it. This is my new favorite episode evar.

Let me guess, it's because of the Beatles reference.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Night Pony

Quote from: Little Judas on 2013 Jan 31, 13:53:41

No Judas. It's because of the horse with wings and a horn glued onto it.  lol

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Little Judas

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Jan 31, 13:55:29
Quote from: Little Judas on 2013 Jan 31, 13:53:41

No Judas. It's because of the horse with wings and a horn glued onto it.  lol

Well I can't be right every time.
That's how I learn new things.
Thanks to Julius for my OC. (see the avatar)

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees, Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

CyanideInsanity

Honestly, I don't care. I'd rather not see it happen, but its not like we, bronies, actually had/have any say whatsoever. They have a product that their marketing towards one group, while another ground outside the demographic enjoys it.

Its like pures, well not all of them, in runescape. They not playing the game the way it was designed, and a lot of them constantly complain because jagex doesn't cater to them. Its just like this situation, hasbro and the FiM team could have just shunned us from the start. They didn't, instead the embraced us. I feel that them just communicating with our community is enough.

In the end its a product intended for young girls, but with subtle nods toward us. Just because we like something doesn't mean it has to be made completely for us.

Although there is one thing I would love to see come because of this is the following -

Twilight having to face problems with immortality, etc. I swear its not because I've been playing persona 4 for the last couple of days, and would like twilight to face her true self and overcome her shadow or anything...
Sugarcup, I thank thee for the AWESOME avatar!
I like my weapons, how I like my music: Heavy and Metal!
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/CyanideInsanity

Iodine

I'm surprised at how much denial people are about Twilight becoming and alicorn. There's been hints at it, but there's a whole toyline for it and the Hub even showed some pictures of her as a princess alicorn. What more proof do you want??

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Iodine on 2013 Feb 01, 02:43:46
I'm surprised at how much denial people are about Twilight becoming and alicorn. There's been hints at it, but there's a whole toyline for it and the Hub even showed some pictures of her as a princess alicorn. What more proof do you want??

The only things I saw before were some little hints that people brushed off as being photoshopped. There's a toyline for it?!! :o

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Chishio Kunrin

I wonder who ultimately decided for her to become an alicorn - the show's producers or the toy producers.

Iodine

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Feb 01, 03:10:06
I wonder who ultimately decided for her to become an alicorn - the show's producers or the toy producers.

They are the same department, they merged them earlier so they can have the show and toyline match better.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Iodine on 2013 Feb 01, 03:11:54
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Feb 01, 03:10:06

They are the same department, they merged them earlier so they can have the show and toyline match better.

:/ .... Match better, eh? Hmmm... :]
Well, that may turn out to be good and bad. Bittersweet, even.

Iodine

Well if you want to blame somebody for the alicorn thing, it's Stephen Davis! http://tbivision.com/news/2012/12/hasbro-to-integrate-film-and-tv-units/20580/

MLP is all about selling the toys, and princess stuff sells really well. Put more princesses into the show and little girls will want to buy more ponies.

Chishio Kunrin

Makes sense. In fact, it makes a lot more sense than "Pink ponies sell, so let's make the Celestia toys pink!"

Blues-Music

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Jan 31, 13:23:43
Quote from: Blues-Music on 2013 Jan 31, 05:20:24

The problem is that your not being civil about it, you also showed a fallacy in one of your earlier posts. You assumed that people who enjoys an alicorn Twilight, must also have overpowered alicorn OC. That's a conjunction Fallacy

I was saying that was what I thought of MOST of the ponies who are defending alicorn Twilight.

Go Up