The lowdown on Earth pony OCs

Started by pulse, 2012 Aug 17, 06:42:16

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Firefly

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 22, 15:37:26
Ah, I see. It's so much clearer what a Mary Sue is now. Thanks.

And yeah, I've been trying to mostly limit powers and such, especially within logic. Like, I have a character whose weapon is gauntlets that let him reach through things and can let him become intangible. However, it doesn't really work against energy like lightning, fire, a lot of spells, stuff like that. That character's probably not that good.

One of my scientist characters has different vision modes, and one of them lets his eyes and brain take in much more info, so he can see details better and be better at detecting things moving at high speeds. But he can't use it for too long, or he'll get migraines. After all, our brains don't really take in every detail. We're not meant too. It'd be too much strain on our brains.

Huh. Actually, I just went through my list of characters, and most of the others aren't anything that other people's characters can't manage. Most of them have abilities that I never really felt like needed some kind of limit or weakness.

[Edit]: Also, I refrain from ever making an OC who is a "relative" of a canon character of whatever I'm basing the character on. I've seen some people do that. Would that count as a Mary Sue?
(Though, I admit I once toyed with the idea of Ichigo from Bleach having a cousin named Kiichigo. I found the rhyming words funny.)

I don't think that counts actually, unless if you say that you are related to almost every important character in the show like:

the niece Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, was babysitted by Cadance before, knew Shining Armour in Magic Kindergarten, is related to Starswirl the Bearded, were best friends with Fancy Pants when young, is the descendant of a legendary Alicorn who once saved the world from destruction

That is a true (as exaggerated as it is) Mary Sue e_e
[move=6][/move]Thanks Skardan (signature) and Fudgemuffin (avatar) :D
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 23, 06:11:21
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 22, 15:37:26
Ah, I see. It's so much clearer what a Mary Sue is now. Thanks.

And yeah, I've been trying to mostly limit powers and such, especially within logic. Like, I have a character whose weapon is gauntlets that let him reach through things and can let him become intangible. However, it doesn't really work against energy like lightning, fire, a lot of spells, stuff like that. That character's probably not that good.

One of my scientist characters has different vision modes, and one of them lets his eyes and brain take in much more info, so he can see details better and be better at detecting things moving at high speeds. But he can't use it for too long, or he'll get migraines. After all, our brains don't really take in every detail. We're not meant too. It'd be too much strain on our brains.

Huh. Actually, I just went through my list of characters, and most of the others aren't anything that other people's characters can't manage. Most of them have abilities that I never really felt like needed some kind of limit or weakness.

[Edit]: Also, I refrain from ever making an OC who is a "relative" of a canon character of whatever I'm basing the character on. I've seen some people do that. Would that count as a Mary Sue?
(Though, I admit I once toyed with the idea of Ichigo from Bleach having a cousin named Kiichigo. I found the rhyming words funny.)

I don't think that counts actually, unless if you say that you are related to almost every important character in the show like:

the niece Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, was babysitted by Cadance before, knew Shining Armour in Magic Kindergarten, is related to Starswirl the Bearded, were best friends with Fancy Pants when young, is the descendant of a legendary Alicorn who once saved the world from destruction

That is a true (as exaggerated as it is) Mary Sue e_e

What if it's like "I'm Fluttershy's sister you never heard of."? If it's something like that, it makes it kinda weird.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

2012 Aug 23, 16:47:26 #42 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 23, 16:49:23 by Trege
I actually wish more people would provide constructive criticism on OC's the author won't get better unless you help them get better or they mass study about how to make an original character and even then constructive criticism is still needed, I would want to provide some myself on some OC's but I'm not experienced enough at making characters to do so, I still have trouble trying to always make sure my OC's are non Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu like. (I'm glad a criticism topic was made in the OC board as it helped me a lot but it seems to be dead now.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue ;  

This kind of explains in detail what a Mary Sue character is.

Gracie Sky

I was thinking about starting a critique topic where Mr. Mustang left off, since he doesn't appear to currently be active, or at least until he returns. I would like authors to get better with their OCs, since there has recently been a lot of characters I find to be unrealistic (at least parts of them) by the model of pony established by the show. I won't claim to be an OC expert, although I would like to believe I'm better than average and my advice would be helpful.

As for relatives of canon characters, I would avoid it, if possible. Canon characters are typically developed enough that all their family members have been made clear, especially after 2 seasons. (still waiting to see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's parents, though)

If you must, there's nothing "wrong" with it, as long as you keep it contained within your story and try not pretending that it's the truth in canon. You'll also have to explain why they weren't brought up until now, hopefully not using the excuse that nopony has never heard of me. If they never heard of you, it's probably meant to stay that way.

In any event, no, being a relative of a canon character is not make one a Mary Sue automatically.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

PrincessButton

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Aug 23, 17:41:59
I was thinking about starting a critique topic where Mr. Mustang left off, since he doesn't appear to currently be active, or at least until he returns. I would like authors to get better with their OCs, since there has recently been a lot of characters I find to be unrealistic (at least parts of them) by the model of pony established by the show. I won't claim to be an OC expert, although I would like to believe I'm better than average and my advice would be helpful.

As for relatives of canon characters, I would avoid it, if possible. Canon characters are typically developed enough that all their family members have been made clear, especially after 2 seasons. (still waiting to see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's parents, though)

If you must, there's nothing "wrong" with it, as long as you keep it contained within your story and try not pretending that it's the truth in canon. You'll also have to explain why they weren't brought up until now, hopefully not using the excuse that nopony has never heard of me. If they never heard of you, it's probably meant to stay that way.

In any event, no, being a relative of a canon character is not make one a Mary Sue automatically.
Well Banana already reviewed my OC but if you do start reviewing, I would love it if you could take a look at mine sometime.  ^-^
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Lary

I don't see why people don't see my characters as the typical Sue. Seriously, I'm terrible at this.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

pulse

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Aug 23, 21:41:58
I don't see why people don't see my characters as the typical Sue. Seriously, I'm terrible at this.

This is more 'Sue than any OC you'll ever make.
I really like your mane!
What's up? I'm Loud Speaker! I love Dubstep!

Lary

Quote from: pulse on 2012 Aug 24, 09:01:38

I'll be honest. That seems intentionally sue.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Firefly

2012 Aug 24, 10:12:00 #48 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 24, 10:27:52 by Firefly
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 23, 15:41:54

What if it's like "I'm Fluttershy's sister you never heard of."? If it's something like that, it makes it kinda weird.

I am guessing that, in the case of 'you never heard of', it really once again points back to whether the character itself is ridiculous or not. As for the 'weirdness', I think it is totally reliant on whether the OC has a good, stable background story to go by or not  >:/ After all, any relationship between an OC and a canon character will have to be unknown if not that OC would be in the show already  lol

Quote from: pulse on 2012 Aug 24, 09:01:38
Quote from: Lary on 2012 Aug 23, 21:41:58

I wouldn't count that as a Mary Sue... In my opinion, Mary Sues are more of character and personality. As for the looks, Mary Sues can be such ponies of 'great beauty, elegance, the high position that of a regal Queen, and exceptionally stunning mane and tail' (excluding Anya :P )

This character only bear alot of accessories, but that doesn't mean that they will go looking nice with each other, and neither does it mean that the pony will look amazingly perfect when she puts them on.

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Aug 23, 17:41:59

I've had the critique idea in mind for some time too  lol It began when I started giving feedback on some artwork in the arts section, and I think that it'd be really helpful if we could just make a thread containing the usernames of anyone who would like to take their time to help give cricticism to those ponies who need them on the forum. Ponies can then pm these people (if they would like some criticism but have not yet received any) if they want some feedback on their work or OCs

Or we could also start a thread where we can feature a certain user or OC for a period of time with everyone involved in commenting on the same piece of biography or work, then summing it up and sending it as a pm to the owner of the OC or work discussed, and help ponies one by one in this manner  lol

I don't know to be sure, these are just some suggestions  ^-^
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

Gracie Sky

Hmm... well, you may have some experience with art, but what about with OCs? If you think you have a keen eye for quality, I would really enjoy having some help with critiquing OCs, and I'm sure everypony would like receiving two points of view. I also see no problem with having a sort of "pony of the week" spotlight for exceptional pony OCs. I'm sure authors would appreciate the extra attention for their hard work.

I'll have to give it some thought, although the idea intrigues me.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Ninkon

Cedar Woods, My Earth pony OC.
He's an introvert to the extreme. Preferring solitude in wild natural settings (Everfree) he never bothered to learn regular pony manners and customs making himself very awkward is social encounters. Cedar also lacks a Cutie Mark, this causes him to avoid contact and is really embarrassing for him. Cedar wishes he could know what it's like to have real friendship but he makes the task really hard for himself.

Everfree forest is starting to get a bit crowded with OC's don't you think?

_____Cedar Woods____________Chilly Breeze_____________Bronze Kettle_____
http://forum.legendsofequestr

Chishio Kunrin

Ah, right. My OC Silent Scream grew up in Everfree Forest. X3 But he ended up leaving it and wandering into Ponyville. He still lives somewhat near the forest, but not in it. He can't stand the sound of howling, so he tries not to go in there too much, for fear of hearing or running into any timberwolves.

Firefly

Quote from: Ninkon on 2012 Aug 26, 03:26:18

Cedar Woods, My Earth pony OC.
He's an introvert to the extreme. Preferring solitude in wild natural settings (Everfree) he never bothered to learn regular pony manners and customs making himself very awkward is social encounters. Cedar also lacks a Cutie Mark, this causes him to avoid contact and is really embarrassing for him. Cedar wishes he could know what it's like to have real friendship but he makes the task really hard for himself.

Everfree forest is starting to get a bit crowded with OC's don't you think?

You OC is very defined, I like that XD Every piece of background information links back to his 'introverted' character
However, the relationship between his shyness and his cutiemark is a little confusing; is it because of his shyness that he's got no cutiemark or is it because of the lack of a cutiemark that he tends to avoid contact?  o.O

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 26, 04:35:45
Ah, right. My OC Silent Scream grew up in Everfree Forest. X3 But he ended up leaving it and wandering into Ponyville. He still lives somewhat near the forest, but not in it. He can't stand the sound of howling, so he tries not to go in there too much, for fear of hearing or running into any timberwolves.

You've got a lot to reason and explain there  :P

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 26, 09:56:19

He had a bad experience with timberwolves when he was a colt. See, when he was born, his parents noticed that his ears were weird. They felt there was something wrong with him, and it kind of scared them, so they decided to leave him in Everfree where the other scary things were. He ended up having to run and hide from timberwolves a lot. They scared him more than the other creatures, mostly because he had to avoid an entire pack of them instead of just one.
Spoiler: show

He has scars from his time in Everfree, and his mane and tail are often messy.

To tell the truth, I actually never really intended to make him an OC. I was just messing around with The Hub's pony creator, thought he looked cool, and saved a picture. I ended up deciding to name him.

Firefly

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 26, 16:10:49

He had a bad experience with timberwolves when he was a colt. See, when he was born, his parents noticed that his ears were weird. They felt there was something wrong with him, and it kind of scared them, so they decided to leave him in Everfree where the other scary things were. He ended up having to run and hide from timberwolves a lot. They scared him more than the other creatures, mostly because he had to avoid an entire pack of them instead of just one.

To tell the truth, I actually never really intended to make him an OC. I was just messing around with The Hub's pony creator, thought he looked cool, and saved a picture. I ended up deciding to name him.

ohhh I see :DD I've noticed lately that all of your characters have sort of a Japanese taste to them (the design reminds me of Japanese Pop somehow... are they some what related to Japanese stuff?

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Sep 01, 09:25:48
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 26, 16:10:49

ohhh I see :DD I've noticed lately that all of your characters have sort of a Japanese taste to them (the design reminds me of Japanese Pop somehow... are they some what related to Japanese stuff?

Oh. If they do have kind of a Japanese taste to them, that's completely on accident and subconscious. lol I love anime, I'm really interested in Japanese culture, and up until now, most OCs that I've made have been based on anime.

BlackVortex

I'v got Moonstone... She's an Earthpony!
I will be gone until the pony drought is over... so find me on Feral Heart if you want me :P

Morning Glory

I love this thread! Finally some earth-pony love! I got a pile of em!

First, I have an entire fan-made town of earth ponies being chronicled in my Silverdale Saga here.

Featured in the Silverdale Saga is my personal favorite, Coppershine:

Character Sheet

Second, but not nearly so well explored is Nightingale:

Character Sheet

And two that are still under construction, Meadow Breeze and Clovercurl:

Character Sheet

Sugarcup

Rissian

It's nice to see so many Earth Pony OC's now.

Go Up