The lowdown on Earth pony OCs

Started by pulse, 2012 Aug 17, 06:42:16

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Firefly

2012 Aug 17, 22:09:51 #20 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 18, 10:27:40 by Firefly
Quote from: Fudgemuffin on 2012 Aug 17, 12:25:22
Well, my one and only OC is a earth pony.
Spoiler: Fudgemuffin • show

I'm hoping to have three OCs before LoE comes out, one of each race. ^-^

oh man I though you were a pegasus XDD sry about it >_>

Here's another Earth Pony OC that I never really bothered to show XD (same with my Unicorn OC :P )

Her name is Calligraphy and she is very skilled at public speaking (with a knowledge of many languages and the capability of speaking in a whole lot of different accents) as well as Language Arts (especially Calligraphy)
Her amazingly long tail (not shown very clearly in this picture though XD) is often tied up at the end, making its whole thing seem like a brush. She usually uses her tail not only to write, but to complete traditional paintings as well.

If I write anymore I'll be writing  her whole biography here  lol  so there you go, a simple picture of her

EDITED:
[move=6][/move]Thanks Skardan (signature) and Fudgemuffin (avatar) :D
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

LarryMcLie

Lets see, I have Boompast Theforth, Moolo Milkyilk, Rattle Ing Eagle, Jorden Longneck, Vealo Fashion, Flameyarn Hoof, and one more.
So I have 7 earth ponies out of 25 Ocs. 5 unicorns. 8 peguseas. 1 anicorn. 1 dragon pony. 3 seaponies.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 17, 22:09:51

Here's another Earth Pony OC that I never really bothered to show XD (same with my Unicorn OC :P )

Her name is Calligraphy and she is very skilled at public speaking (with a knowledge of many languages and the capability of speaking in a whole lot of different accents) as well as Language Arts (especially Calligraphy)
Her amazingly long tail (not shown very clearly in this picture though XD) is often tied up at the end, making its whole thing seem like a brush. She usually uses her tail not only to write, but to complete traditional paintings as well.

If I write anymore I'll be writing  her whole biography here  lol  so there you go, a simple picture of her

Spoiler: show

Uses her tail to write?
O:

Sorry, that little tidbit really reminds me of Amaterasu from the game Okami. ovO She uses the tip of her tail to paint, which lets her use special abilities.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Fudgemuffin

2012 Aug 18, 06:00:15 #23 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 18, 06:03:47 by Fudgemuffin
Well, Fudge used to be a Pegasus. After realising that there's not enough Earth Ponies and that Fudge never uses her wings, I changed her to a Earth Pony. I like Fudge better as a Earth Pony, suits her more. :3

Ozzy

Do Zebras count?

I am a big fan of Zebras, theres even less of them  :c

pulse

Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2012 Aug 17, 21:12:28
I am an Earth Pony, and one of my two OCs is a Earth Pony as well! Earth ponies are best~

You said it!  ^-^
I really like your mane!
What's up? I'm Loud Speaker! I love Dubstep!

pulse

Quote from: LarryMcLie on 2012 Aug 17, 22:24:12
Lets see, I have Boompast Theforth, Moolo Milkyilk, Rattle Ing Eagle, Jorden Longneck, Vealo Fashion, Flameyarn Hoof, and one more.
So I have 7 earth ponies out of 25 Ocs. 5 unicorns. 8 peguseas. 1 anicorn. 1 dragon pony. 3 seaponies.

That sure is a lot of OCs! I have 5, 2 unicorns, 3 earth.
I really like your mane!

pulse

Quote from: Fudgemuffin on 2012 Aug 18, 06:00:15
Well, Fudge used to be a Pegasus. After realising that there's not enough Earth Ponies and that Fudge never uses her wings, I changed her to a Earth Pony. I like Fudge better as a Earth Pony, suits her more. :3

Nice! Although I think that situation is kinda like Fluttershy. I think she'd be better as Earth!  >.<
I really like your mane!

Firefly

Quote from: pulse on 2012 Aug 18, 09:25:26

Nice! Although I think that situation is kinda like Fluttershy. I think she'd be better as Earth!  >.<

I sort of agree to Fudge's idea of changing her OC's race, sounds reasonable to me XD
Fluttershy is better as Earth as well, but then she will not be able to find/care for pets that have to stretch their wings up among he clouds every once in a while, so there goes, I guess  ovO
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

Firefly

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 18, 05:49:23

Uses her tail to write?
O:

Sorry, that little tidbit really reminds me of Amaterasu from the game Okami. ovO She uses the tip of her tail to paint, which lets her use special abilities.

really??  O: O: I've never gotten to know the game well, but it seems pretty popular to me XD
I just got the OC idea fiddling with a brush one day  lol Sagwa, an old cartoon about a Siamese cat who lived in a palace and bore talent in calligraphy (a family tradition for her), played a role in inspiring this OC idea as well  lol
Now I really want her to have a pet dog that can write with its tail as well  ovO

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 18, 10:25:56
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 18, 05:49:23

Uses her tail to write?
O:

really??  O: O: I've never gotten to know the game well, but it seems pretty popular to me XD
I just got the OC idea fiddling with a brush one day  lol Sagwa, an old cartoon about a Siamese cat who lived in a palace and bore talent in calligraphy (a family tradition for her), played a role in inspiring this OC idea as well  lol
Now I really want her to have a pet dog that can write with its tail as well  ovO

Ah, Sagwa too. :3 I loved that show. There really are plenty of places to get inspiration for spectacular earthponies. People just have to look and think!

Fudgemuffin

Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 18, 10:21:55
Quote from: pulse on 2012 Aug 18, 09:25:26

I sort of agree to Fudge's idea of changing her OC's race, sounds reasonable to me XD
Fluttershy is better as Earth as well, but then she will not be able to find/care for pets that have to stretch their wings up among he clouds every once in a while, so there goes, I guess  ovO

There's a reason for everything. :]

Cutiebone

My main OC and Ponysona is an earth pony, and I say there are plenty ^-^
Moved to Fluffy Ribbon. FR is universal. Rather than CB, which refers to an OC that isn't used anymore, it's better to use a name I'd actually like to be identified with... >.<

pulse

Quote from: Cutiebone on 2012 Aug 18, 10:59:28
My main OC and Ponysona is an earth pony, and I say there are plenty ^-^

Well there's enough! :P
I really like your mane!

Morgan Sententia

I have posted a bio of my earth pony a week ago, Amtrack. Just nopony is commenting him or anything.:c

This is him.

Gracie Sky

I look at almost every OC that are posted on the forums. A lot of them I won't reply to, though; the main reason generally being they are unbelievable. I don't really have the courage to tell an author their OC is unbelievable, especially if a lot of work was done on it.

As for Amtrack, the only thing I could think of to say was how he is named after a railroad company. I didn't really think that was the right thing to say, though.  :c

As for Earth Ponies, I have one still under development named Fletchessa. She works with wood, yay.  ovO
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

pulse

Quote from: Morgan Sententia on 2012 Aug 19, 15:13:05
I have posted a bio of my earth pony a week ago, Amtrack. Just nopony is commenting him or anything.:c

This is him.

He's nicee!
I really like your mane!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Aug 20, 21:52:16
I look at almost every OC that are posted on the forums. A lot of them I won't reply to, though; the main reason generally being they are unbelievable. I don't really have the courage to tell an author their OC is unbelievable, especially if a lot of work was done on it.

As for Amtrack, the only thing I could think of to say was how he is named after a railroad company. I didn't really think that was the right thing to say, though.  :c

As for Earth Ponies, I have one still under development named Fletchessa. She works with wood, yay.  ovO

I have a feeling I shouldn't look into people's OCs, then. I get a little twitchy and touchy about it, probably because I have a whooooole looooot of OCs in another fandom, each of whom I tried my hardest not to make them very ridiculous. If I feel their power is too strong and they could be OP, I put some kind of weakness and/or limit on them to make sure they're not bad OCs. That kind of stuff. So, after all that, I've become rather disciplined in making good/quality OCs.

But unfortunately, I cannot shy away from Mary Sues because I still don't completely understand what a Mary Sue is, and no one will explain it to me. :c

Gracie Sky

I don't want to discourage you from looking at other peoples' OCs. There are some very good, high quality OCs! You just need to know what a good OC looks like from a far, the trick is to trust the initial impression from your first glace. But must also be willing to give them a chance to impress you; looks can deceive, both for better or for worse.

And when trying to "balance" special powers, adding a weakness whose only purpose is to compensate for something that may be OP is somewhat of a cop out. If it were me, I would tone down powers I might believe to be OP, or limit the means by which it can be used to the best of its potential or used at all. Still, it's dangerous water to tread on.

Lastly, a Mary Sue is a character archetype that typically encompasses an over idealized character, more often female. We all know people and ponies aren't perfect, so when trying to identify a Mary Sue, ask yourself "Is this character perfect?". Symptoms include being loved by everyone, being exceptionally beautiful or cute (less prominent with ponies, who are all cute >~<), unrealistically excelling at important things, being the chosen one and/or being the last of a race and/or having dormant superpowers. The list goes on.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Aug 22, 15:37:26 #39 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 22, 17:26:38 by Chishio Kunrin
Ah, I see. It's so much clearer what a Mary Sue is now. Thanks.

And yeah, I've been trying to mostly limit powers and such, especially within logic. Like, I have a character whose weapon is gauntlets that let him reach through things and can let him become intangible. However, it doesn't really work against energy like lightning, fire, a lot of spells, stuff like that. That character's probably not that good.

One of my scientist characters has different vision modes, and one of them lets his eyes and brain take in much more info, so he can see details better and be better at detecting things moving at high speeds. But he can't use it for too long, or he'll get migraines. After all, our brains don't really take in every detail. We're not meant too. It'd be too much strain on our brains.

Huh. Actually, I just went through my list of characters, and most of the others aren't anything that other people's characters can't manage. Most of them have abilities that I never really felt like needed some kind of limit or weakness.

[Edit]: Also, I refrain from ever making an OC who is a "relative" of a canon character of whatever I'm basing the character on. I've seen some people do that. Would that count as a Mary Sue?
(Though, I admit I once toyed with the idea of Ichigo from Bleach having a cousin named Kiichigo. I found the rhyming words funny.)

Go Up