Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Mar 14, 20:14:11
Windows 8 thought my laptop was a cell phone and refused to let Windows Update download any updates for a pretty long while. Now that Trege has helped me correct that, I have to sit here and have my laptop download over 50 updates.

Yay me... :l

I just wish it'd actually tell me the progress it has. I managed to download and install 5 updates earlier, though the download never told me the progress. I tried to stop the download, and it froze up, and when I went back to the thing, it said it was installing. It installed, I restarted, now for the other 51 updates. *SIGH*

Installing #31 of 51.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Nuserame

Heheh windows update blues. 51 is hardly the worst I have seen though, I had one with some 150 once and when that was done there was another 80 MS office updates. Fun times indeed.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Nuserame on 2015 Mar 14, 23:27:33
Heheh windows update blues. 51 is hardly the worst I have seen though, I had one with some 150 once and when that was done there was another 80 MS office updates. Fun times indeed.

:I
Euh...
Well, at least the updates are all done.

Sunshine Smash

The fact that I don't even use my own computer.

I haven't really used it for the past two months. I only open it up to update the system.

I get all my information and accesses websites like these from my phone, and I mainly game from my 3DS.

I really want a reason to start that thing up.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Howitzer

That awkward feeling of listening to your friends over Xbox Live debating over how awful bronies are and comparing them to other god-awful fandoms. 
LoE not working as it should? Submit bugs here: http://phabricator.legendsofequestria.com/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/
------->  Jurassic Systems <-----------

Chishio Kunrin

When one of our cats causes me to do something stupid! >:(

I was listening to my iPod while washing dishes. The music made having to hand-wash dishes tolerable. And then Junior decided to be whiny and wanted to go out into the garage, so he stood up and started jiggling the door knob like he usually does. Though, the way he was jiggling it was REALLY LOUD. I could hear it over my music, and I kept yelling "No" at him, but he ignored me, until I finally lost my temper, yelled "NO!!! >:O" and hit what I was holding on the bottom of the left sink hard enough to make a sound and get his attention.

It wasn't until I put it on the drying rack and went to rinse something else that I realized what I had just done.

The thing I was holding? My mom's favorite coffee mug. :s
What I did? Chipped it... :'(

I paused my music and put my headphones and iPod aside because I didn't feel like listening to music anymore. I was too mad and upset. It just completely ruined my mood, and the music sounded annoying. Yeah, it's not like I actually broke her mug, just chipped a couple pieces off the surface, but still, I damaged my mom's favorite mug! I wish I hadn't done that. I wish I had been thinking enough to realize I shouldn't try to make loud noises with a frigging coffee mug! All I was thinking was "Stop it, Junior, that's really annoying, it's making me angry, and you're not going out right now!!" That, and I had completely forgotten what I was even holding, especially since I'm tired and it wasn't in my field of vision.

Rissian

The ants have returned to curse the house. I swear they always invade even though there's nothing for them here.  :l

Randam Saiko

Quote from: Trege on 2015 Mar 16, 17:16:24
The ants have returned to curse the house. I swear they always invade even though there's nothing for them here.  :l

The flies have returned to once again invade my home. Time to test my reflexes again...
Oh winter, how I already miss you and your pest-free conditions.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Greyscaleisme

2015 Mar 17, 18:09:26 #15748 Last Edit: 2015 Mar 17, 18:26:44 by Greyscaleisme
Honestly? Alicorn OCs. They're OP, often black and red, overused because everyone wants to be related to, or more powerful than, or an enemy to the princesses. It is extremely cliché that people make Alicorn OCs, because people want their OC to be memorable, here's a tip! Make a pony that doesn't rely on it's race to be memorable! Make an OC stands out because of their personality or talents, not because they're royalty! Most, if not all, Alicorn OCs are overused trope, very few Alicorns make it to the point where people like them. For example, Twilight, Luna, Celestia, and Cadence. They are written well enough, designed well enough, and interesting enough to be liked by the fandom (liked being a relative term). I get so sick and tired of new people posting their OCs and they're like "This is Aurora! She is a black and red alicorn princess! She rules over the north and makes the northern lights!" (a, an alicorn OC. b, a black and red oc with no originality. And c, an OC that completely disregards the show entirely.) That. Really. Really. Irks. Me. I mean, honestly, if someone found me real evidence that some fanmade Alicorn OCs were good, I'd like them more, but none of the creators think outside the box. An OC needs a good back story and a reason they're an Alicorn. Neither Twilight or Cadence were Alicorns at first, so there needs to be reason that your OC became an alicorn. They couldn't just have randomly woken up one morning and *poof!* alicorn! It just doesn't make sense! Heck, some RPs don't even allow Alicorns because of how often they are badly written, and for how OP they are. I just really wish people would use more tack when writing an Alicorn OC. As a writer, and as a fan of MLP, I implore those reading. Write well! Please!
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Night Pony

2015 Mar 17, 18:19:11 #15749 Last Edit: 2015 Mar 17, 18:21:22 by Night Pony
The fact that everybody thinks alicorn oc = bad oc. Sure it has merit but doesn't mean that every such OC falls into the stereotype. Next thing you'll tell me is that people outside little girls like MLP....oh wait.

Fun Fact: Most people hated when Cadence was revealed as alicorn. Why? Solely because of the race and not because of the character and it destroyed most people's headcanon. Even after Cadence was revealed to be well designed and good people still hated Twilight's ascencion because Alicorn. Honestly you people should stop being so narrow minded.  :/

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

Still, they should at least look at other options, rather than just jumping to "My OC is an alicorn!!! ovO" And if they still want to make an alicorn, okay, but first, think about whether or not there's actually a reason for the OC to be an alicorn.

You can make an OC special without giving them a special race.
I have an earth pony OC who's deaf. Her talent is glass crafting because she can focus more intently on the glass without anything like sound distracting her.

You just need a little creativity. ;)
And please don't make a zebra crystal bat pony alicorn. :I Making a super hybrid doesn't make your OC more special. It just makes them a jumbled mess. It's like those werewolf vampire angel demon OCs. Though, not as bad, considering being an angel/demon hybrid is kind of contradictory. o.O

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Mar 17, 18:39:00
Still, they should at least look at other options, rather than just jumping to "My OC is an alicorn!!! ovO" And if they still want to make an alicorn, okay, but first, think about whether or not there's actually a reason for the OC to be an alicorn.

I have an earth pony OC who's deaf. Her talent is glass crafting because she can focus more intently on the glass without anything like sound distracting her.

And please don't make a zebra crystal bat pony alicorn. :I Making a super hybrid doesn't make your OC more special. It just makes them a jumbled mess. It's like those werewolf vampire angel demon OCs. Though, not as bad, considering being an angel/demon hybrid is kind of contradictory. o.O

Thank you!!
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Night Pony

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Mar 17, 18:39:00

What if I told you I made the OC for fun without regards for the pony fandom? Or do you say  should change her because X amount of people are prejudice against alicorns?
Maybe I didn't make her that race because I've known for a fact that it was 100% powerful, mary sue and all that jazz. It was on the same field as the other races, completely normal hybrid. I didn't know the fandom which encouraged at the time to accept people regardless of age, gender, taste would get so over worked up about a horn and a pair of wings.
Are you saying that people with Alicorn OCs didn't put creativity when making their OCs and/or incapable of doing so if the character in question is an alicorn?

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Night Pony on 2015 Mar 17, 18:51:09
Are you saying that people with Alicorn OCs didn't put creativity when making their OCs and/or incapable of doing so if the character in question is an alicorn?

Yes.

Chrisgotjar

That moment when you write up a big ole post on a forum, click preview and it's all gone.
You appear to be reading a signature my good sir/madam.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Pony on 2015 Mar 17, 18:51:09
What if I told you I made the OC for fun without regards for the pony fandom? Or do you say  should change her because X amount of people are prejudice against alicorns?
Maybe I didn't make her that race because I've known for a fact that it was 100% powerful, mary sue and all that jazz. It was on the same field as the other races, completely normal hybrid. I didn't know the fandom which encouraged at the time to accept people regardless of age, gender, taste would get so over worked up about a horn and a pair of wings.

I meant if someone's trying to make a really special OC. They need not rely on a special race to make their pony special. :\

On the other hand, some people make alicorn OCs just for aesthetic, for a fun beautiful pony to draw. In that case, it doesn't really matter. They're not saying "I want my OC to be super special, so I'm making them an alicorn." They're saying "Alicorns are beautiful. Lookit her flowing mane. :3"

Urgh, this discussion is becoming kind of a mess. :s I'm trying to figure out a good way to say what I mean, and it's not working.

My throat feels and tastes like it's full of flavored perfume! DD: I don't know how this happened, and I can't get it to go away!!

Rissian

2015 Mar 17, 20:28:06 #15756 Last Edit: 2015 Mar 17, 20:36:16 by Trege
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Mar 17, 18:54:22
Yes.

You've just judged every alicorn OC in existence without knowing anything about all of them or if their design was artistically chosen or not, or whether they made them some all powerful being or not.  o.O

Anywho.

Just because someone makes an alicorn OC it doesn't mean their OC is overpowered or a Mary Sue, by definition a Mary Sue is a character perfect in every way and aspect. Just because somepony has flying and magic that does not make them OP or perfect. The simple reason being it's all in the character development. For instance what if that alicorn OC was never special with their magic what if their magic just consisted of levitation and basic unicorn ability while their real talent was flying or some other skill unrelated to their race.

Twilight wasn't already powerful she had to train and take classes so that her magic would improve it took her being scared to even go into super nova mode because she had no ability to control it until she took lessons and trained. A Mary Sue is a character who never fails and succeeds at everything where even the villains and good guys all fall in love with them.

And some people choose an alicorn because it looks nice, the ones who make the red and black all powerful OC's are usually just kids who don't know how to design characters yet, it happens in every fandom from DBZ to Mario to Sonic to Megaman.

Characterization is more important than how the character looks, character development is more important than how the character looks, background story is more important than how the character looks. Looks are secondary when making good characters. The dislike for alicorn OC's in this fandom gets kinda old after awhile.

But if the journal of the two sisters is any merit its history on alicorns is that they're a race with very few members left Luna and Celestia were some of the few natural born alicorns according to that not some ascended all powerful beings the fandom likes to make them out to be. Granted the journal of the two sisters was officially written by the writers of the show but they have neither claimed it to be non canon or canon. In the diary Luna and Celestia also had to train their magic. They didn't start as an all powerful character even they had trouble. They also had to win over the 3 races so that they would be willing to accept them as guardians of their nation. Natural born alicorns are long lived according to that book which is why Celestia and Luna are still young after all those years.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Trege on 2015 Mar 17, 20:28:06
You've just judged every alicorn OC in existence without knowing anything about all of them or if their design was artistically chosen or not, or whether they made them some all powerful being or not.  o.O

Yes.

Stardust Dragon

The fact that I'm laughing at the bad Irish stereotypes/caricatures used in Star Trek: Next Gen's season 2 episode, "Up the Long Ladder".  I'm not Irish myself, but just reading a little about how off that kind of portrayal is from a real person makes it really uncomfortable to watch such a misrepresentation.  But the episode is just so funny, and the actors are at least putting in an effort to make it hilarious and over-the-top.  I guess I ought to just listen to Picard and "bow to the absurd."

Pipkin

I took my truck in for an oil change at my dealership on Monday, and asked them to also inspect my u-joints because i've been having issues with road vibrations since I drove to Baltimore last year.  The mechanic was kind enough to tell me which joint had to be replaced.  I went to the auto parts store to order what I needed to replace but I was missing critical information so I called the dealership to acquire it.  Naturally the sales department answered instantaneously, but when I asked for service I was transferred to an answering machine....I was never called back.

So now I have to try again tomorrow, calling them from work, and rushing to order the part after work, further prolonging the issues i'm having with my truck

Go Up