Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Ramisha on 2015 Jan 06, 15:55:14
I joined a facebook group full of amazing painters and now I feel I have the drawing skill of a piece of cardboard.
And also if my dad doesn't get a job we'll have to shut down our internet connection. yay....

I had a costume design class last semester when I had literally no artistic drawing experience beforehand.  Trust me, I know what you mean about feeling like your skills are awful, but if you've put time and emotion into it your work is a lot better than you think.  Chances are you are your own worst critic.

Best of luck to your father about getting a job.

Midnight Breeze

So this whole installing games on consoles thing. Is that pretty new or am I just that far behind the times on console gaming? Haven't console gamed much since the PS2 era.

Midnight Breeze

I thought it was for specs. PC games have historically performed better with better graphics in part because of installation, which is advantageous over the more limited storage capacity of a compact disk. The current generation of consoles has finally caught up with the PC in terms of graphics by ditching the read-from-disk style.

Nuserame

Consoles need to install games as they simply got too large to be loaded from disk in a reasonable amount of time. Optical disks don't have the best of read speeds.

It's a not so much a design choice as it is a technical necessity. It comes at the cost instant 'insert disk and play', but otherwise games would remain very restricted in the amount of graphical fancy stuff, sounds, etc. they can use.

Consoles have become a kind of PC which MS, Sony or Nintendo manages for you.

... Also, my PC installs most games in under a minute :3

Heheh couldn't resist bragging.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Midnight Breeze

Why is it GTA 5 has such terrible controls on console? I played GTA 4 on PC and controls were way smoother and easier to manage, for both driving and shooting. I can't aim for crap on XBox, took me 5+ tries to get past the the first shootout at the very beginning of the game. And whose idea was it to make all the driving controls be done with the triggers and bumpers?

Maybe I should have waited for the game to come to PC.

Rissian

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jan 06, 22:16:51
I thought it was for specs. PC games have historically performed better with better graphics in part because of installation, which is advantageous over the more limited storage capacity of a compact disk. The current generation of consoles has finally caught up with the PC in terms of graphics by ditching the read-from-disk style.

It's generally consoles that still hold PC's back. Unless a game was specifically designed for all platforms or only PC then usually the PC version could have been much better but the game had to be lowered to fit the hardware of the current consoles. PC's can handle much more than consoles ever could, which is understandable it's starting to become a standard for PC's to have at least 8-16GB of RAM now much more than most consoles ever get. Xbox360 has had the install disc feature for awhile I can't remember when they first implemented it. Anyways I love my consoles regardless of the PC's speed. Consoles are still easier to just start up and play even if their hardware isn't as strong, and you can easily move them around. It's kinda crazy though we can fit whole PS2 games into RAM now. The average PS2 game is 2-4GB average Xbox360 game 4-8GB PS3 games could be anywhere from 5GB-50GB thanks to blue ray same for PS4.

I think the first install console game was Final Fantasy 11 you had an HDD for your PS2 you'd install the game on. That game did tend to load fast I think which was nice.

Getting my body's internal clock back to normal is really annoying. I'm annoyed at being tired during the day despite having slept 6-8 hours. Thankfully once I stick to my schedule my internal clock will finally return to normal and I'll be tired at night again.

Greyscaleisme

'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

That, for some reason, we're not all educated very well on pets we intend to own, and this can lead to us causing our pets health problems or worse.

Examples:
- Do not bathe rabbits. If you bathe your rabbit, you risk it dying.
- Carrots are actually not a large part of a rabbit's diet. Rabbits mainly eat hay. Foods like carrots and apples are high in sugar and should only be an occasional treat. Iceberg lettuce can be dangerous for them. They can eat dark greens like kale, cabbage, and broccoli.
- Do not paint a turtle's shell. This blocks it from absorbing light and the important nutrients it can get from sunlight. It can also absorb some of the paint into its blood stream, which badly affects its health. Paint fumes can also cause respiratory problems.
- Do not give a dog a rawhide bone. A lot of dogs tend to swallow the pieces, and they cannot properly digest rawhide. It's bad for them. Good alternatives are antlers, hooves, and those tooth-cleaning treats. The antlers and hooves thing makes sense, considering that's what wolves chew on.

There are also foods other than just chocolate that dogs cannot handle. Grapes and raisins can make dogs sick. Garlic, onions, and everything else in the family of garlic and onions can make a dog sick. Refrain from feeding your dog a bunch of animal fat. This is more than just "If you feed your dog a lot of fat, they'll get fat." No, fat can have seriously horrible effects on your dog's health. There are also apparently plants you should keep away from dogs. I think poinsettia is one of those plants?

Oh, and don't give chicken bones to dogs. They're too brittle, and they splinter. The splinters can hurt the dog.
Cats can get sick from a lot of the same foods that dogs can get sick from.
Be careful with pills around dogs because the coating on some pills can cause a dog to think it's something good to eat.

All these things, and a lot of people who intend to own such pets have no idea.

That, and if you intend to get a specific breed of dog (or even a mixbreed), you should do research about that breed. Although every dog is an individual with its own personality, all breeds have their own needs that should be acknowledged. Things like energy level (pent up energy leads a dog to act out and be destructive), common health problems in that breed (be on the lookout for these health problems and be prepared to take care of it), grooming (some shed a lot, dogs with hair instead of fur require haircuts, some require special grooming, etc), and behavior problems common to the breed (Nip these problems in the bud by raising and training the dog properly).
So many people don't do that research.

And the best thing you can do for a puppy is to socialize it. Introduce it to all sorts of people, dogs, and things, so that it becomes familiar with people, dogs, and things. You don't want your dog freaking out over every stranger, panicking at bicycles, and being filled with anxiety or over-excitement every time they see another dog. This is why you socialize them when they're young. Have them experience these things from a young age, so they learn that it's no big deal.
But a lot of people don't do this!

*Sigh* There's so much for some people to learn.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Nuserame

Spoiler: stuff • show
[quote author=Chishio Kunrin link=topic=2523.msg883316#msg883316 date=1420621526]
That, for some reason, we're not all educated very well on pets we intend to own, and this can lead to us causing our pets health problems or worse.

Examples:
- Do not bathe rabbits. If you bathe your rabbit, you risk it dying.
- Carrots are actually not a large part of a rabbit's diet. Rabbits mainly eat hay. Foods like carrots and apples are high in sugar and should only be an occasional treat. Iceberg lettuce can be dangerous for them. They can eat dark greens like kale, cabbage, and broccoli.
- Do not paint a turtle's shell. This blocks it from absorbing light and the important nutrients it can get from sunlight. It can also absorb some of the paint into its blood stream, which badly affects its health. Paint fumes can also cause respiratory problems.
- Do not give a dog a rawhide bone. A lot of dogs tend to swallow the pieces, and they cannot properly digest rawhide. It's bad for them. Good alternatives are antlers, hooves, and those tooth-cleaning treats. The antlers and hooves thing makes sense, considering that's what wolves chew on.

There are also foods other than just chocolate that dogs cannot handle. Grapes and raisins can make dogs sick. Garlic, onions, and everything else in the family of garlic and onions can make a dog sick. Refrain from feeding your dog a bunch of animal fat. This is more than just "If you feed your dog a lot of fat, they'll get fat." No, fat can have seriously horrible effects on your dog's health. There are also apparently plants you should keep away from dogs. I think poinsettia is one of those plants?

Oh, and don't give chicken bones to dogs. They're too brittle, and they splinter. The splinters can hurt the dog.
Cats can get sick from a lot of the same foods that dogs can get sick from.
Be careful with pills around dogs because the coating on some pills can cause a dog to think it's something good to eat.

All these things, and a lot of people who intend to own such pets have no idea.

That, and if you intend to get a specific breed of dog (or even a mixbreed), you should do research about that breed. Although every dog is an individual with its own personality, all breeds have their own needs that should be acknowledged. Things like energy level (pent up energy leads a dog to act out and be destructive), common health problems in that breed (be on the lookout for these health problems and be prepared to take care of it), grooming (some shed a lot, dogs with hair instead of fur require haircuts, some require special grooming, etc), and behavior problems common to the breed (Nip these problems in the bud by raising and training the dog properly).
So many people don't do that research.

And the best thing you can do for a puppy is to socialize it. Introduce it to all sorts of people, dogs, and things, so that it becomes familiar with people, dogs, and things. You don't want your dog freaking out over every stranger, panicking at bicycles, and being filled with anxiety or over-excitement every time they see another dog. This is why you socialize them when they're young. Have them experience these things from a young age, so they learn that it's no big deal.
But a lot of people don't do this!

*Sigh* There's so much for some people to learn.
[/quote]

And this is why all pets should come with a manual. One with plenty of pictures, bright colors and big letters.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Chromastone64

Jack Thompson.
Just...just Jack Thompson (the game-hating guy).
Seriously, there's a line between being against violent games, and being completely ridiculous. Not to mention he keeps insulting all gamers out there (When a gaming site disagreed with him, and later asked him to explain his feeling about one case he said quote-on-quote that gamers are  "too brain-impaired to get it."
And then there's this:
QuoteIn October 2006, Thompson sent a letter to Midway Games, demanding they cease and desist selling the latest game in the Mortal Kombat series, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, claiming that the game was illegally profiting on his likeness, because gamers could use the Kreate a Fighter option to make a character who looked like Thompson.

I know, freedom of speech and all, but this guy seriously ticks me off.
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

LeviathanTS

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jan 06, 22:58:43
Why is it GTA 5 has such terrible controls on console? I played GTA 4 on PC and controls were way smoother and easier to manage, for both driving and shooting. I can't aim for crap on XBox, took me 5+ tries to get past the the first shootout at the very beginning of the game. And whose idea was it to make all the driving controls be done with the triggers and bumpers?

Maybe I should have waited for the game to come to PC.

Just need practice, you haven't played a console game since the PlayStation 2,

The driving controls have been like that for a while, in most games this allows you to pan the camera and steer with different elements of the controller, before, steering would also centre the camera, which was irritating in my opinion.

I remember the first time Battlefield 3 came out on Xbox 360, (I jumped online straight away) everyone wanted to try piloting a helicopter, the controls were not what you expected them to be, whenever someone attempted to pilot one, there would became helicopter carcass about 5 seconds later lol

I like the controls for the helicopters in Bf3 now (and the veteran control scheme in Bf4), although you still get people who are new crashing them the moment they attempt to pilot....
br /><br />Alastor created the amazing banner of the Chat-O-Landians! 8)
(Peace Keeper originally created my pfp, but it has since broken :( Hi, I'm Frost Burn, I like to help if I can! if you need me, I'm here :D

Ramisha

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2015 Jan 07, 11:45:05
profiting on his likeness, because gamers could use the Kreate a Fighter option to make a character who looked like Thompson.

Spoiler: show

byndbored

When people act like them being right is required, and that just the idea of them being wrong is not allowed to make any sense no matter what happens.
Said no to being given a Lucario Pokemon X.
My oc board is in my Signature
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2268.0

Night Pony

Quote from: byndbored on 2015 Jan 07, 16:25:56
When people act like them being right is required, and that just the idea of them being wrong is not allowed to make any sense no matter what happens.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Midnight Breeze

I'm getting worked into the ground. I'm working every Sunday for at least the next month! Fat chance I'll get any days off during the week. I don't get their logic - union rules require them to pay us very generous overtime, logically wouldn't it be cheaper to hire more carriers than to work us into the ground?

Whatever, I get paid like $32 dollars an hour for every hour a week over 55, I just wish I had some free time to spend it.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2015 Jan 07, 11:45:05
Jack Thompson.
Just...just Jack Thompson (the game-hating guy).
Seriously, there's a line between being against violent games, and being completely ridiculous. Not to mention he keeps insulting all gamers out there (When a gaming site disagreed with him, and later asked him to explain his feeling about one case he said quote-on-quote that gamers are  "too brain-impaired to get it."
And then there's this:
I know, freedom of speech and all, but this guy seriously ticks me off.

Nah, Freedom of Speech just means he can't be arrested for saying things that people in charge don't like. It doesn't mean he has the full right to go on spouting all sorts of rude nonsense without being criticized for it.

A lot of people are like "Hey, you can't get mad at me for my opinion! I have freedom of speech!" That's not what "Freedom of Speech" means. It just means I can't arrest you for your opinion, but I certainly can get mad at you for it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Randam Saiko

2015 Jan 07, 22:04:45 #14957 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 07, 22:51:29 by LaptopBrony
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jan 07, 21:55:36
A lot of people are like "Hey, you can't get mad at me for my opinion! I have freedom of speech!" That's not what "Freedom of Speech" means. It just means I can't arrest you for your opinion, but I certainly can get mad at you for it.

This. So much this.

Extremism of any kind. Whether it's over a controversial topic or something stupid like:

Person A: Excuse me waitress, I asked for no broccoli on my entree. I'm horribly allergic.
Person B: *Triggered* I for one love broccoli and I have the right to state that you are an oppressing piece of garbage. Just because you agree with it, does not make me any less human because I have a differing opinion. One day, when we get your oppression lifted, we you will rue the day that you messed with MY people!
Person A: ........the heck.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

DawnsEmbrace

2015 Jan 07, 22:08:43 #14958 Last Edit: 2015 Jan 07, 22:51:42 by LaptopBrony
Quote from: Randam Saiko on 2015 Jan 07, 22:04:45
Extremism of any kind. Whether it's over a controversial topic or something stupid like:

Person A: Excuse me waitress, I asked for no broccoli on my entree. I'm horribly allergic.
Person B: *Triggered* I for one love broccoli and I have the right to state that you are an oppressing piece of garbage. Just because you agree with it, does not make me any less human because I have a differing opinion. One day, when we get your oppression lifted, we you will rue the day that you messed with MY people!
Person A: ........the heck.

Randam, I love you.  (Jk of course)

Thank you for saying this beautiful, beautiful thing.
You have made my night.

When I have to choose between video games, or something else less fun, but more productive.
<br />

Chack

It's finally getting cold. It's been in the 70s and 60s F and suddenly it's dropping into the teens tonight.
I hate cold weather.
Wait for it...

Go Up