So... Cutie marks... I got a question about them.

Started by bauccgia0, 2013 Jun 27, 14:33:05

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bauccgia0

I was wondering if your cutie mark is set from the start, or if it can change depending on what you do with your life? I know the obvious answer is yes, but at the end of season three, it just complicates the matter. So, this can also be a discussion forum about these... things that are so important.

Cotton Ball

[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

bauccgia0

I meant the actual nature of the mark in the show. Like, is your mark set from birth? Was Fluttershy fated from her conception to take care of animals? This is what I mean.

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

bauccgia0

Actually, that's hilarious, because I'm watching that right now. I wanted to get a handle on how other people perceive it, not just that guy. It's something I haven't thought about before, so I wanted to see the collective opinion.

Chishio Kunrin

I think for most ponies, it depends on what talent they discover for themselves. You have to think, if there are people who have multiple talents, maybe there are ponies who have multiple talents. So those ponies would end up discovering one of their multiple talents and getting a cutie mark for that.

But with the mane six, it seems that they were fated to be where they were and do what they were doing at the time that they all got their cutie marks. It's as if the elements of harmony picked their next wielders and connected them.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Asterian Starfall

2013 Jun 27, 20:02:43 #6 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 27, 20:04:42 by Asterian
Cutie Marks are reflective on what you're "born" to do. I had no idea how to write, but when I opened wordpad, I couldn't stop typing. Cutie Marks also somewhat reflect one's destiny/fate, as we see in S3:E13.

I don't think they can change, as for everyone has a certain talent that they can do without any instruction on how to do, but they don't necessarily decide what that talent is. But I think if you're talented at something, you'd be passionate about it too, so...

I'll leave it at that. Not saying you don't have free will over choosing a Cutie Mark, you do. All I'm saying is everypony has some talent that they can do very well that they're likely born with.
"Luck is how you explain an overly-variabled scenario that went in your favor." - Asterian Élire Starfall

Mooncookie

Cutie Marks appear when a pony discovers her/his special talent. Obviously not ALL talents materialize when one is young, when the Cutie Mark generally appears. One can assume that it's a special talent that represents you, while not necessarily being the only talent you possess. For example, Rarity has three gems for her Cutie Mark because she has a special gift for finding gemstones, but she also has a great talent for dress making. If someone has a great smile that represents them to some, others my know a pony for other aspects of their personality. A Cutie Mark can be indicative of ONE talent, but not necessarily their ONLY talent.

WinterSnowDrop

Quote from: bauccgia0 on 2013 Jun 27, 14:58:22
I meant the actual nature of the mark in the show. Like, is your mark set from birth? Was Fluttershy fated from her conception to take care of animals? This is what I mean.

:l WEEEEELLLL if its ur talent its ur talent

P.S. the names of ponys slightly reveil wat their C.M. MIGHT be for ex: u know sweetie belle from the C.M.C. right? well shes also good at singing so thereforth hers will relate to music.  ex2: so u guys know ditzy (aka derpy) she got bubble C.M.
and shes clumsy so thereforth if ditzy did not have her bubble C.M. then it would relate to cluminess (like: BUBBLES)

do u now get my point???????

-WinterSnowDrop  :o :P :o :P (that's a brony xoxo!)  :P :o :P :o (ps if u not know who ditzy aka derpy shes this one  :P :o)
DERPY ME!                      :)
                 -  -
                  -

Jack_Daft

I understand cutie marks are made for ponies showing off what their natural talent is, what their destiny/fate is, or what describes them best! But...

I know I'm being overly analytical on a cartoon, but the whole concept of cutie marks gives me a whole caste system undertone to it all. As in "Well AppleJack, you have an apple cutie mark, you have to pick apples your whole life." Want to attempt playing music? Considering on picking up a paintbrush? Want to, heaven forbid sell oranges instead? Too bad Applejack, quit your whining and go buck some more apple trees. Praise Celestia.  :c

LoE: Bucky Geldin
Level 1 Sugarcane Farmer Earf Pony

bauccgia0

Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 10, 16:06:29
I understand cutie marks are made for ponies showing off what their natural talent is, what their destiny/fate is, or what describes them best! But...

I know I'm being overly analytical on a cartoon, but the whole concept of cutie marks gives me a whole caste system undertone to it all. As in "Well AppleJack, you have an apple cutie mark, you have to pick apples your whole life." Want to attempt playing music? Considering on picking up a paintbrush? Want to, heaven forbid sell oranges instead? Too bad Applejack, quit your whining and go buck some more apple trees. Praise Celestia.  :c

This is exactly what I mean! This actually submits a much more interesting idea.

Nala Valor

Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 10, 16:06:29

she could if she wanted. Think about rarity: her talent is not for the dress making. It's for finding gems. And guess what, we only saw her collect gems once in the show. Also, Derpy isnt seen doing bubbles all the time. She's a mail pony. There's a lot of other exemple but I think you get the idea.

ArtVeigar

Quote from: Nala Valor on 2013 Jul 11, 11:43:32
she could if she wanted. Think about rarity: her talent is not for the dress making. It's for finding gems. And guess what, we only saw her collect gems once in the show. Also, Derpy isnt seen doing bubbles all the time. She's a mail pony. There's a lot of other exemple but I think you get the idea.

But we know from Cheerilee that a cutie mark might represent a subjetive idea rather than the talent itself. She is not a gardener, she is a teacher, but her C.M. are flowers. It's not because she is good with gardening but choose to become a teacher, but her C.M. represents the idea of making foals bloom. Rarity's gems doesn't represents just gem finding, but the idea of beauty. Rarity is good at making dresses, decoration, and anything aesthetic-related.
In my opinion, a Cutie Mark doesn't represent only one talent, but a combination of all of your talents into a single figure, into an idea. It represents your set of skills, but what you do with it is for you to decide.

I really think BronyCurious' thoughts on this matter were flawless.

bauccgia0

I'm really glad this discussion thread took off the way it did. Everyone who keeps coming here has some pretty great ideas.

Tiger

Quote from: WinterSnowDrop on 2013 Jul 10, 08:47:41
Quote from: bauccgia0 on 2013 Jun 27, 14:58:22

:l WEEEEELLLL if its ur talent its ur talent

P.S. the names of ponys slightly reveil wat their C.M. MIGHT be for ex: u know sweetie belle from the C.M.C. right? well shes also good at singing so thereforth hers will relate to music.  ex2: so u guys know ditzy (aka derpy) she got bubble C.M.
and shes clumsy so thereforth if ditzy did not have her bubble C.M. then it would relate to cluminess (like: BUBBLES)

do u now get my point???????

-WinterSnowDrop

Well, not entirely true...

When ponies are born, they are named by their parents, like how Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake were named by Mr and Mrs Cake. They're not named by some mysterious force that knows their destiny. Names do NOT confirm, and should NEVER be related to, the cutie mark of the pony because the pony's parents will never know their child's cutie mark until they get it. And no parent is stupid enough to wait until their child gets a cutie mark before naming him/her, because that would take far too long.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

bauccgia0

Quote from: Tiger on 2013 Jul 12, 08:59:54
And no parent is stupid enough to wait until their child gets a cutie mark before naming him/her, because that would take far too long.

Actually, in some places, it might be a tribal thing to do exactly this. It would make for a good story. The Native Americans used to do something like this, I think, where they gave their children a temporary name, then would give them their permanent name that described them as a person, due to some feat they accomplished.

Tiger

In a modern society that Ponyville lives with, that's highly unlikely. And if any parent would decide to do that, other fillies/colts might tease the child about being "nameless" and such.

bauccgia0

I was thinking more different societies all together. You know, somewhere outside of Equestria, like where Zecora came from. It's just an idea, but it seems like it would be good world-building, you know?

Tiger

'Suppose so, but I still think it's weird to call a colt "Jon" for, like, 5 years and then change his name to "Rock Smasher" or something. Then everyone has to get used to his new name and stuff.

bauccgia0

But the thing is, in that culture, it wouldn't be weird, because it's what they were raised on. It would make perfect sense to that cultural group.

Go Up