OC: Laserbolt

Started by bauccgia0, 2013 Jun 05, 09:08:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bauccgia0

2013 Jun 05, 09:08:58 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 22, 21:30:02 by bauccgia0
Alright, I guess I should finally share myself with the world. Pay attention, foals. There will be a quiz.

Laserbolt.
Race: Unicorn
Place of Birth: Manehattan
Mother: Nuts 'n Bolt
Father: Lightning Bolt
Dislikes:Being Interrupted, The royal guard, Incessant noises, Slendermane's cult, TWILIGHT SPARKLE

The Face Behind the Science
Spoiler: show

(OOC: Thanks so much to Skysketch for this amazing picture!)
Personality:
Laserbolt isn't a mad genius. He's more of a slightly unhinged egghead. He's the type to "borrow" something, and then make it an integral part of his magical digging machine. He gets mad easily, but cools down just as quickly. He enjoys being around other ponies, but prefers solitude. He does enjoy a good party, though. He can be kind of arrogant, usually after inventing something. He's not big on fighting, and usually stays out of trouble. Unless somepony has something he needs...
Talent:
He is skilled in the art of magic and science, but mostly in the area of trial and error. He is also a skilled teacher.
Teaches Magical Tinkering at the Canterlot University for Adepts.
History:
As a foal, Laserbolt was fairly regular. Definitely smarter than most, but other than that, there wasn't much to indicate the genius that would emerge. In school, Laserbolt did quite well, and had a one-sided rivalry with one young unicorn. Actually it was more of a... Okay, he hated her, & she didn't even know him. She was a ticking time bomb, and almost destroyed the school in her last test! She wouldn't even have been considered if it hadn't been for that explosion. It was purely a coincidence. For some reason, not only did she pass, but she actually became a student under Celestia! CELESTIA, I TELL YOU! There is no respect for protocol these days... And to add insult to injury, the sudden surge of mana in the air completely ruined Laserbolt's test! It took him one more year to sort out the paper work to take the test again. Not like he's bitter or anything. But, he finally graduated with flying colors, and was able to leave to explore the world of magic himself.

Criminal Record:
Soooo... The Celestial Guard says I gotta include this in here... Yup. But don't freak out or anything! It's not like I murdered anypony. Just... a couple... grand larcenies under my saddle. So, here are some... "crimes" I sorta looked over the first time I typed this up. ((Will add more later))

The Zap-Apple Incident
Official Record:
Laserbolt charged with the theft of one (1) Zap-Apple Tree from Sweet Apple Acres
Sentence: 1 year community service under close watch with the Apple Family

What Happened:
So, the record never really tells my story. Yeah, it says I stole a tree. But it doesn't say why, or what for. I was on this rampage of knowledge, where I was compiling a book on plants. I was really into herbology at the time. I had most of the plants around Equestria recorded, either from personal field experience, or from books. but there was one special fruit that hadn't been recorded in any field guide. The Zap-Apple. A miracle fruit that only grew under very specific conditions. And there was only one place that it grew. Right next to the Everfee forest. At... well, you can figure out where. Luckily for me, it was just about time for them to come into season. Unluckily for me, the Apple family wouldn't let me have a tree. I needed an entire tree, so I could figure out how the leaf, blossom, unripe and ripe apples could be used. And of course, the bark was just as important! It took me forever, but I found a way to reproduce the magic that pegasi use to move clouds, and created a chamber that contained a perpetual thunderstorm to keep the tree alive. I put it over the tree, and levitated it right out of the orchard. I guess if I had done it at night, I wouldn't have been caught by Applejack. Little mare's perceptive! I was forced into indentured servitude, but it turned out, the Apples weren't actually mad at me. They were mad at me for taking the tree, but not at me in general. So, it worked pretty well.

(OOC:alright, folks, tell me what you think. I think it's pretty thorough. More later. Anything I'm missing?Also, if anyone wants to redraw this fella, I would be most grateful. Maybe something Science-y. Thanks, Art Guys!)

Stories from the Threads
I'm going to put stories from RP Threads that define my character in this section. That way I don't have to write it all over again.

From the Cherry Buck Season Thread.
QuoteWhen I was young, my parents sent me to the Canterlot School of Magic, because apparently, I showed a strange affinity for magic. I quickly became friends with a young filly named Twilight. We studied together, and grew from each other's company. However, after a while, she started studying alone, and she wouldn't talk to me for a while. This made me... more than a little bit bitter. I used it as my motivation that I would become better at magic than her. Every day, I studied, harder and harder. But she never even noticed me. I always found that weird. Then, on the day of the final test- where we have to complete some gargantuan task, to prove what we have learned- she was right in front of me. I saw her entire test. This does relate to me. Her test was to hatch a dragon egg, and she seemed pretty confident she could do it. My test was to start up a magical rune engine. It may seem like it's unfair, but hatching a dragon egg is really hard, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. But when she went to do it... Here, Laserbolt relays the story as we've all seen it in the show.

When it was all over, it was finally my turn. I was definitely angry, but I knew I could pass my test. But, of course, something wasn't right. When the planets aligned for Little Miss Twilight Sparkle, it supplied her with insane amounts of power, which had to come from somewhere. Guess where it came from? As soon as I tried to start up the engine, I blacked out. When I woke up, they told me I had failed, and would have to try next year. I was livid. I practically stormed up to Celestia and demanded a retest. I think that's when she started to dislike me. One long, agony-filled year later, I finally took the test. It had been changed to having to, instead of starting something up, to disabling something. An old, 6th Era Battle Golem. I had to shut it down. Yeah. It almost killed me. I think they were trying to make up for the extra year I got, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that Celestia had something to do with it. When I finally did it, I was told that I passed. But no princess came to congratulate me. I didn't get any special recognition, just a "You passed." I left, more than a little jaded. Then, after a decade, I had almost forgotten about it. I had started working at the same academy that I learned at. It was nice pay, but I knew I could do better. One fateful night, my life completely changed. Princess Luna was in my dreams. I know that sounds creepy, but it wasn't that kind of dream. She walked up and told me to meet her in the Canterlot maze that night. Of course, I knew about the kind of dream magic she used, and knew it wasn't just a dream. I woke up, and ran to the maze. It turned out, she was secretly watching my test, and knew how I felt. She told me that she could use an assistant to help attend to her matters, as she wasn't exactly the best at dealing with ponies. And she said she wanted to be a therapist of some sort, to help me with all the pent up anger towards Celestia and Twilight. It was still in there, simmering, and I knew one day, I'd have to face it. I accepted, gratefully, and excitedly. So, from that day forward, I was Luna's faithful assistant and right hoof. Then, some pretty normal stuff happened. I quit my job at the School of Magic, and started a new job at the Royal Academy. It's where I work now. I've been able to use time travel to work there and here, and that's when I met Cherry, Angel, and you.

Shadow Mare

Why do I get this "Dr. Insaneno" vibe from him...

bauccgia0

*looks up*
Well, yeah, kinda. More subdued, less evil, but you've got it about right.

Tiger

Backstory sir, backstory. He's quite shallow at the moment. What happened to him in the past? How did he get his cutie mark, and what was his earlier childhood like?

OCs are a lot more than coming up with a random design and giving the pony a cutie mark. A lot goes into the writing of a backstory, which can take a long time to perfect.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

bauccgia0

Well, okay. I'll think about that. Thanks!

Chirp

As has been said before. Very shallow and empty.

But what I'm about to talk about..

wat

just wat

Occupation. Look at it again. Just what is wrong with it?

Shadow Mare

Chirp

Fine, enough guessing. He's 15, he's a teacher, but not just any teacher, a teacher at a university! And not just any university, the university of canterlot! And not just any field at the university of canterlot, but for adepts! At age 15?!

wat

wat

How? I demand the most detailed and convincing backstory ever!

bauccgia0

2013 Jun 05, 19:53:12 #8 Last Edit: 2013 Jun 05, 19:55:39 by bauccgia0
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I put my age on accident. Hurr durr. Sorry folks. I'll fix that. Although it could be that he's just that smart.
No?
Okay.
This is actually the very first time I've committed to LITERALLY ANYTHING LIKE THIS. So, I'm really happy that you guys are helping me out. Thanks so much.

Chirp

Better. As for missing anything, not really, but more is better. A list of spells he can do, family names, list of likes & dislikes & fears maybe? Whatever, that's up to you.

bauccgia0

Um... is there some kind of resource listing FiM Spells? I don't think I know the specific names, or if most of the things I want him to do are even possible. X3

GoldenTerrabyte

I like younger characters. My oldest OC is 20, but I'm nowhere near that old.
I'm back

bauccgia0

OH MY GAAAWD I'M SO POPULAR.
Pikminbro, you're just arguing logistics now.

GoldenTerrabyte

I'm back

bauccgia0

For me, no. BUT if you're building a rocket, logistics are incredibly important.

GoldenTerrabyte

So, that was a compliment for me? And wait... that filly he hates... is that... TWILIGHT?!
I'm back

bauccgia0

IUNNO I JUST KNOW SHE'S PURPLE AND BREAKS RULES.
((Yes. It's Twilight))
That one-> X3

GoldenTerrabyte

Right, but I'm just not sure to be complimented or insulted.
I'm back

bauccgia0

Neither, it was just unnecessary for the situation.

GoldenTerrabyte

Okay. Good. I bet you'd like my OCs! Would you be so kind as to meet them? And critique them?
I'm back

Go Up