Go Down

Ebony Inkwell

2013 Jul 12, 09:47:00 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 12, 12:44:12 by Ebony Inkwell
Name:
Little Inkwell

Race:
Pegasus

Appearance:
Little Inkwell is a male pegasus pony with a dark red coat, almost maroon. He has a slightly spiky mane and tail that are fawn brown in color. His eyes are darker brown. His cutie mark is a feather, which represents his skill in writing, the same color as his mane. Little Inkwell never goes anywhere without his hoodie, which is white with golden yellow trim.
Spoiler: show

Personality:
Little Inkwell loves to write. He can write almost anything you ask him to  - if he's in the right mood. He can write excellent prose, but that doesn't mean he always does. Often he gets lazy and makes stupid mistakes or just doesn't try. Little Inkwell can be judgmental if he doesn't like you or know you very well, but is always willing to get to know a pony before he forms a final opinion about them. Unfortunately, some of those opinions remain judgmental. Little Inkwell can also be very sarcastic and argumentative, especially with teachers. If you're Little Inkwell's friend, however, he'll be loyal to the end and always find a way to keep everypony happy. When you get on his bad side, though, he'll more likely give you the cold shoulder than hurt you in other ways. He's not gutsy enough to do that. He's not gusty enough to do a lot of things - like talk to the new kid or try new foods. He doesn't have a problem with shouting random things during quiet moments.

History:
Little Inkwell was born into a family with five children in a small town. His mother was a unicorn named Proper Grammar, and his father, a pegasus called Bad Joke. Little Inkwell's siblings, in order from youngest to oldest, were Sun Spectrum, a male pegasus; Bright Idea, a male unicorn; Broken Link, a male unicorn, and Candy Walker, a female pegasus. Little Inkwell was born between Bright Idea and Broken Link, making him the middle child. He had a relatively average childhood, with no huge tragedies or anything. The only funeral he had ever attended by the time he turned 13 was that of his Great Grandmother, whom he barely knew. The only significant thing that makes him different from other ponies his age is that he didn't earn his cutie mark until he was twelve, when he earned a high place in a Canterlot writing contest.
Hey, everypony! I'm Ebony Inkwell, but you can call me Inkwell!

Gracie Sky

Your writing is pretty good, although I have a few concerns about some of your content placement and relevancy.

Two key things that I noticed were:

1) In his personality, you state things such as he is good at writing and then expound on that thought. My issue is that it doesn't technically have anything to do with his personality more so than it would be about his talents. You probably should make a section about his talent, since you do a good job covering it. You do eventually move on to things about his personality, but by that time, there's about a sentence or two to describe it.

2) More importantly, his history is an introduction to his family. While I have quarrel with learning about his family, it has nothing to do with him and his experiences that have molded him into what he is today. And as a general rule, it's not required to name family members unless they actively participate in the character's present day life. Examples of named family members would be Applebloom and Shining Armor and examples of non-named ones would be Rarity's and Twilight's parents.

Other than those things, it's a promising OC. Just needs some more of the right details.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Go Up