Post-Season 4 discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2013 Aug 20, 16:31:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

Spoiler: show
The whole time I was sure that Discord was just playing Tirek and that he was going to be revealed to still be loyal to Equestria, but I was wrong. :c

How does this bode for Discord's future? Tirek mentioned a few words of power and glory and suddenly Discord was willing to throw away his friendships. what does it say about him if he was still willing to just sell his loyalty to the highest bidder?

I still think Celestia was a urine-poor judge of character for ever thinking he could be trusted in the first place.  :/

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I can't see this being the last time he betrays Equestria.

Dawnstar

2014 May 11, 00:47:17 #481 Last Edit: 2014 May 11, 01:01:29 by Dawnstar
Episodes are over on the Hub's website for anyone who still hasn't seen them yet.

Spoiler: Massive Wall of Text Incoming • show
That's assuming Discord had any real loyalty to the ponies to begin with until now, and given Celestia's reaction I think she was being more hopeful that he could be trusted rather than actually giving him the benefit of the doubt. Throughout the season it felt more like he was playing along with them more than anything. Yes he was nice to Fluttershy, visited her a lot, and on some level probably did consider her a friend in his own weird way. But at the same time he still tried using his powers to keep them on their hooves to see just how far he could push them before hiding behind Fluttershy when he started to push too hard. The best example of this was in Three's a Crowd where he fully intended to drive a wedge between Twilight and Cadence and was obviously irritated that he failed.

Tirek offered Discord the chance to be the all-powerful god of chaos again. Even if it was veiled in betrayal, I knew Discord wasn't going to pass up that kind of chance. Though the choice did seem to give him pause at first.

That said...

The season finale did not disappoint in the slightest. Even though I did get spoiled on the villain I was still impressed by how they handled him as a character. He really was dangerous and powerful and grew ever moreso throughout the episodes.

On that note, I wonder how they're going to handle the "big bads" from now on because how do you really top a being that possesses all the pony magic in existence (and magic from the god of chaos)?

I was a little disappointed with the whole transfer of Alicorn magic though, but not for the reasons you'd probably think of first. I was disappointed because I was honestly hoping to see Celestia, Luna and Cadence as non-Alicorns (like how Cadence was a Pegasus before she became a princess). But oh well, made for an absolutely epic battle scene between Tirek and Twilight later, not to mention all the awkwardness with the sun and moon, as well as the uncontrolled teleporting/flying (I think we know what Twilight's mane will look like when it starts getting all wavy), so it wasn't that big of a deal.  :]

I think it's safe to say that Alicorns aren't all-powerful after this episode though. Yes they're powerful, but since they needed to hide their magic from Tirek there are definitely things out there that they are powerless against.

Interesting thought: the combined magic of four Alicorns is apparently equal to that of every pony in existence + a "reformed" god of chaos. Though since Celestia and Luna couldn't beat Discord in the past I'm going to assume that either his "reformed" nature had weakened his powers, or that the 1000 years Celestia has on everyone else makes up the difference.

You know, when I realized how the six were getting their keys, I remember wondering who exactly would be significant enough for twilight show the Magic of Friendship to in order to earn her key. In retrospect, it was hinted at a few times during the season with her interactions with Discord, especially in the aforementioned Three's a Crowd episode. Yes discord betrayed them, even at the expense of his friendship with Fluttershy, but Twilight did one of the hardest things you could do to a friend who has betrayed you, and who is very, genuinely sorry for betraying you, and that is to forgive them because they're still your friend (even if it's a really weird friendship between them and Discord).

As for the Rainbow Power. Eh, it's a brighter, flashier version of the Elements of Harmony. Functionally I seriously don't really think they're all that different, especially since they're from the same source. The big flowy manes are a bit obnoxious, but I think they tweaked the additional colors that we saw in the first images that were leaked of them, and they seemed to clash less so I'm thankful for that at least. But again, I think it's functionally the same as the Elements.

I will admit, with how much they were going back to the Everfree castle, I was expecting it to get fixed up at some point for Twilight. Though the big shiny tree is probably a bit more fitting. I do have to say, however, I really don't like the interior coloring. Too dark and gloomy and reminds me of some dungeons from really old RPGs rather than making me think of a castle meant to spread friendship and harmony. The exterior looks fine, though it looks heavily influenced by the crystal empire style (I think it was intended to mimic the Tree of Harmony). Plus there's totally a whole "knights of the round table" thing going with the six chairs.

I'm indifferent on the old library tree though. Knew it was only a matter of time before she got a new residence so it's destruction didn't really bother me. Plus I find it funny how some people have been freaking out about the tree, but completely forget that Twilight dove in and saved Owlowiscious a second before he was exploded with the library.

Totally called the Princess of Friendship title though. Knew that was going to be her title a long time ago.

I think I'm going to finish this wall o' text with the music and sounds. Firstly, I think the first song with all the princesses singing is officially my personal favorite for the season. We've heard Celestia and Cadence sing already, and I could've sworn I felt a part of the fandom implode when Luna got her first solo. Overall it was a nice song. The second song didn't really stand out though and had more of a reprise feel to it, but I liked the nice touch where they highlighted everyone that they had shared their elements with.

Also, I totally want all the sound effects from Twilight's battle with Tirek, just to listen to all the epic energy beams and explosions.

On a final note, I tried keeping track of how many easter eggs and nods to the fandom there were in these two episodes but I lost track pretty quickly.

AaronMk

Relevant post-finale Derpibooru exploitable samples:

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Night Pony

2014 May 11, 06:59:05 #483 Last Edit: 2014 May 11, 08:34:04 by Night Pony
I like the finale. It gave insight on alicorns and not completely destroyed Night's backstory.
Though I couldn't care less about Derpy being drained. I liked the rainbow power and I need to change a bit my OC's bg.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

DawnsEmbrace

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 May 11, 01:13:15

I'm pretty surprised no of those is him looking at Bane.

<br />

ManeFlame

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 May 11, 13:01:03

DawnsEmbrace

Quote from: ManeFlame on 2014 May 11, 15:01:34

[Spoiler]Mane, thank you.  You are a majestic masterpiece of a man.[/spoiler]
<br />

AaronMk

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 May 11, 16:39:32

That one's pretty new actually. The "old" one:

And also:

LostSanity

So... what was so controversial about that?

Here... let me answer that...

NOTHING.

That was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. That's all there is to it.

I certainly didn't expect an EPIC FIGHT like that. THAT was for sure!!

That fight reminded me of Dragon Ball Z. NO, NOT IN A BAD WAY. A GOOD WAY.

Dragon Ball Z has some pretty epic fights in that anime. That was a pretty epic fight.

There was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING controversial about that episodes. NOTHING.

BEST. SEASON. YET.

Yes, IMO, but that's honestly how I feel.

Now go celebrate by listening to this credit theme:

[spoiler]

:3[/spoiler]
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

ManeFlame

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 May 11, 17:49:27

And also:

Eh, I went with the one sitting on the front page, since I saw it right after I noticed his post. lol

Stardust Dragon

2014 May 12, 00:58:25 #490 Last Edit: 2014 May 12, 01:14:25 by Stardust Dragon
People have been saying this for a while already, but I feel it's worth sharing here:
The orbs around the transformation.  The stat bonuses.  The fabulous hair...by Luna, Rainbow Power IS Mega Evolution!  Now if we can just find out how they did 6 at once...

On a more serious note, I like how the mysterious box/seed/whatever kind of made me think of a prism the entire time I was looking at it, perfectly fitting how the Mane 6 enter it as normal (white light) and emerge rainbowfied. 

As much as I'll miss the old library, Twilight's new castle looks stellar.

And finally, I find it a bit fitting that the Rainbow Powered Mane 6 had an 80's hair vibe to them.  Considering they were taking on Tirek and using (essentially) the Rainbow of Light from way back in the 80's show.  Just a nice sort of "full circle" moment to me.

AaronMk

2014 May 12, 01:41:21 #491 Last Edit: 2014 May 12, 01:43:53 by AaronMk
Quote from: ManeFlame on 2014 May 11, 22:18:08
Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 May 11, 17:49:27

And also:

Eh, I went with the one sitting on the front page, since I saw it right after I noticed his post. lol

Fair enough.

Tiger

2014 May 12, 06:41:40 #492 Last Edit: 2014 May 12, 06:56:06 by Tiger
I literally JUST finished watching the whole season from episode 12 to episode 26 in two days (because the last episode I watched before that was episode 11).

All I can say is.. DAT ANIMATION!!  ovO

Also, incoming rant.

You know that episode where Fluttershy has stage fright?

HOW THEN

DO THEY

EXPLAIN ALL THE OTHER TIMES SHE SANG IN FRONT OF OTHERS

ESPECIALLY THE ONE DURING HEARTH'S WARMING'S EVE
SHE WAS ON STAGE
NO STAGE FRIGHT
SERIOUSLY

#endrant

#startnewrant

Rainbow Power.

Like, come on.

I know it's only for marketing purposes,

BUT YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER THAN THAT HASBRO
SERIOUSLY
I MEAN LOOK AT THIS

FUDGIN DIAMONDS ON HER HOOVES MAN
EMBEDDED
oh and her face too
AND HER HAIR
If you watched the actual episode again she had like THREE MANES OR SOMETHING
AHKJDHKHASJ

Although I must say the best part of Season 4 was Twilight raising the sun.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

GoldenTerrabyte

[spoiler]Oh man, that was great!
The Rainbow Power no doubt is the new Elements of Harmony. And did anyone else notice they never referred to Rainbow Power by name? And anyway, I'm guessing that it'll be invovled in the next Equestria Girls in some way! And yeah, sooner or later they're going to run out of villain ideas, Tirek was by far the most powerful one yet! Only one question... How will Rainbow Power be activated in the future?[/color]
I'm back

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 May 13, 21:51:11
Oh man, that was great!
The Rainbow Power no doubt is the new Elements of Harmony. And did anyone else notice they never referred to Rainbow Power by name? And anyway, I'm guessing that it'll be invovled in the next Equestria Girls in some way! And yeah, sooner or later they're going to run out of villain ideas, Tirek was by far the most powerful one yet! Only one question... How will Rainbow Power be activated in the future?[/color]
[/quote]
[spoiler]Considering the colored streaks in their hair in pretty much every advertisement for Rainbow Rocks or the Rainbow Rocks dolls? Plus "Rainbow" being in the title? I'm 99.999999999~% sure rainbow power will play a role in it.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Puynsi

You hate You Lose
Well... lets see... this finale got, a good villian (A G1 villian) an exploitable meme a rock on fight, and Discord still planning everything, yes, I was expecting all of this, after looking around through internet and saw the freaking box with the G1 ponies I just KNEW that those powers were inside, basically the rainbow powers are G1 Elements of Harmony.

Plus, SEVEN THRONES, SEVEN FREAKING THRONES I KNEW IT.

Still not accepting Megan over Mother... but shes on the right way... lets see if next season they dont drop the hammer on Spike.

AaronMk

Quote from: Puynsi on 2014 May 14, 03:19:47
You hate You Lose
Well... lets see... this finale got, a good villian (A G1 villian) an exploitable meme a rock on fight, and Discord still planning everything, yes, I was expecting all of this, after looking around through internet and saw the freaking box with the G1 ponies I just KNEW that those powers were inside, basically the rainbow powers are G1 Elements of Harmony.

Plus, SEVEN THRONES, SEVEN FREAKING THRONES I KNEW IT.

Still not accepting Megan over Mother... but shes on the right way... lets see if next season they dont drop the hammer on Spike.

Next season we got God King Larson back.

My body is ready.

DawnsEmbrace

Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 May 14, 13:32:06

....God-King M.A. Larson....
I approve of this.
<br />

ManeFlame

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 May 14, 17:14:17
Quote from: AaronMk on 2014 May 14, 13:32:06

....God-King M.A. Larson....
I approve of this.

What? No... He got bumped up to alicorn princess.

Mizuki

I'm so happy that

M.A. Larson is finally back

y'all don't even know *sniffs and wipes happy tear*

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Go Up