Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: BlazeyE on 2014 Mar 05, 19:19:38
Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 Mar 05, 17:17:57
Mathematics.

When am I going to use anything beyond percentages?
It just feels like wasted time to me at this point.

Any form of engineering. 'Nuff said.

Or physics.

Or astronomy.

Or chemistry.

The whole universe is governed by mathematics. Calling it useless is just silly.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: DawnsEmbrace on 2014 Mar 05, 17:17:57
Mathematics.

When am I going to use anything beyond percentages?
It just feels like wasted time to me at this point.

What I don't understand is imaginary numbers. Why do I need to know about imaginary numbers? Shouldn't that be something you learn in a college course about whatever career you're going into that, for some reason, uses imaginary numbers? :c

Quote from: MrSpyro on 2014 Mar 05, 17:47:57
And people who complain about easy stuff, like math.

Not everyone finds math easy. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm fairly good at math, but it takes me longer to master Algebra.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 05, 20:17:30
What I don't understand is imaginary numbers. Why do I need to know about imaginary numbers? Shouldn't that be something you learn in a college course about whatever career you're going into that, for some reason, uses imaginary numbers? :c

Why do people think we should only have to learn what we will use in our planned careers?

By that logic we should completely throw out history altogether. Who cares what happened in the past, right? Unless we work as historians or museum curators we won't need to know history for our career.

Oh, and civics as well. Unless we plan to be a politician who cares if we have a clue how the country works?

And don't forget science! Who cares about the very universe around us? I don't plan to be a scientist, why do I need to learn it? Wait, are you telling me THE EARTH IS ROUND!? Kewl! I never knew that!

The list goes on. How many people use geography in their careers? Psychology? Economics?

My point is the purpose of high school is not to train you for a career, it's to educate you on a wide range of topics in order to achieve an educated populace as a whole. Do you want grow up to be a mindless robot who doesn't know jack about the world outside your job?

If so, you might find a better home in central Africa. That's how they're raised there and boy, Africa's a paradise, amirite?

Julius

Every day that goes by, I'm getting more depressed and scared... >.<

As of right now, we're essentially trapped in the hill we live on... >A<
Purr~

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Mar 05, 21:50:55
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 05, 20:17:30

Why do people think we should only have to learn what we will use in our planned careers?

By that logic we should completely throw out history altogether. Who cares what happened in the past, right? Unless we work as historians or museum curators we won't need to know history for our career.

Oh, and civics as well. Unless we plan to be a politician who cares if we have a clue how the country works?

And don't forget science! Who cares about the very universe around us? I don't plan to be a scientist, why do I need to learn it? Wait, are you telling me THE EARTH IS ROUND!? Kewl! I never knew that!

The list goes on. How many people use geography in their careers? Psychology? Economics?

My point is the purpose of high school is not to train you for a career, it's to educate you on a wide range of topics in order to achieve an educated populace as a whole. Do you want grow up to be a mindless robot who doesn't know jack about the world outside your job?

If so, you might find a better home in central Africa. That's how they're raised there and boy, Africa's a paradise, amirite?

That wasn't really my point. o_O I don't see using imaginary numbers in very many situations.
And I'm a strong believer in the phrase "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

I don't think we should only learn what we're going to use in our careers. I just never understood the point of imaginary numbers.

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 06, 00:18:35
That wasn't really my point. o_O I don't see using imaginary numbers in very many situations.
And I'm a strong believer in the phrase "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

I don't think we should only learn what we're going to use in our careers. I just never understood the point of imaginary numbers.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, education is a bit of an emotional issue for me.  >.<

As for 'imaginary numbers'. Well, a lot of mathematics is not meant to be practical, but it's useful because it strengthens your mind and increases your general logic and intelligence.

Think of your brain as a muscle like any other. Exercise makes your muscles stronger, right? Well, mathematics is like exercise for your brain. Things like memory, problem solving, pattern recognition and the like are controlled by the neurons in your brain and how fast they are able to transmit information from one another. The more you exercise your brain the faster information is processed in your mind - I.E, you are smarter.

That's the purpose of mathematics on a high-school level. I would argue it's the single most important subject, because it increases your mental capacity for everything else.

Night Pony

It's one thing to learn basic knowledge but another you learn in depth something that you will know only for the exam and will never remember is ever again. That's my opinion anyway.

Bad teachers and teachers that assume we have the textbooks.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

BlazeyE

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 06, 00:18:35
"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

*Points at Ukraine.*
I sell PR and PR accessories.

Ramisha

the teacher: "Ramisha was on this competition"
"Ramisha did this"
"Ramisha come solve this problem"
"Ramisha you should be more active in class"
"Ramisha blahblablah"
"Ramisha tell us what you did at the competition"
"Ramisha was the competition hard"
me: *oh god just leave me alone*

LostSanity

When this forum goes down and no one gives an explanation as to why or how it happened.

:l
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Link

Quote from: BlazeyE on 2014 Mar 10, 21:36:07
Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 Mar 10, 18:08:28
When this forum goes down and no one gives an explanation as to why or how it happened.

:l

The website server support we had was bad. Just. Bad. We needed time to switch over to a new company. Simple.

Ooo, server migration, fun.

Sarcasm self-test complete.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Julius

Not sure if I should post a smile or wait for the website to go down again... :I
Purr~

Midnight Breeze

Sometimes I wonder if my entire life is just one big hallucination and the real me is sitting in a padded cell somewhere talking to himself and miming everything I do.

Something to ponder...

Well, if my life isn't real, then this pile of dirty dishes isn't real, so there's the silver lining of that scenario.

Randam Saiko

Whenever I'm watching one of my childhood movies with my critical friend. He always takes pauses in the movie to criticize any minuscule flaws in it.

Spoiler: When we were watching the Lion King • show

Mufasa just died and Scar told Simba to run away.

Friend: Why didn't Scar just send the hyenas to kill Simba right there. Why did he tell him, "Run?" I mean, if he had ordered them to get Simba right there and not give him a heads start, Simba would already be dead."

Me: Shut up. You're killing the movie, mood, and my childhood.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Pipkin

Honestly....when I try to type
Code Select
lol and the emote pops up....
Why isn't the code for that emote like
Code Select
:lol: like on most forums so that doesn't happen?  I usually have to use a zero instead of an o just to bypass the emote and it's annoying....

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Pipkin on 2014 Mar 16, 23:57:30
Honestly....when I try to type
Code Select
lol and the emote pops up....
Why isn't the code for that emote like
Code Select
:lol: like on most forums so that doesn't happen?  I usually have to use a zero instead of an o just to bypass the emote and it's annoying....

I usually capitalize the first L.

How hard it is to get a 7-year-old to understand things like why she can't have a Facebook account. Also, how hard it is to get a 7-year-old to listen to you, her sister, and her mom, when you all tell her that Legend of Zelda is too hard for her.

Julius

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 17, 07:56:13Also, how hard it is to get a 7-year-old to listen to you, her sister, and her mom, when you all tell her that Legend of Zelda is too hard for her.

Really? You disappoint me. :l

It may be hard, but she can do it if you let her. I beat Ocarina Of Time without knowing how to speak English at an early age. It was hard, but I did it. You're not giving her a chance!

I wanted to go to bed early because I had to wake up early but I couldn't sleep... At all. It's eight in the morning now... >.<
Purr~

Chishio Kunrin

2014 Mar 17, 09:22:06 #12397 Last Edit: 2014 Mar 17, 09:23:53 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: Julius on 2014 Mar 17, 08:31:31
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 Mar 17, 07:56:13Also, how hard it is to get a 7-year-old to listen to you, her sister, and her mom, when you all tell her that Legend of Zelda is too hard for her.

Really? You disappoint me. :l

It may be hard, but she can do it if you let her. I beat Ocarina Of Time without knowing how to speak English at an early age. It was hard, but I did it. You're not giving her a chance!

She has already shown that she doesn't have good enough hand-eye coordination and problem solving skills to get very far, she can barely read, and she gets mad very easily. The other day, when we went to Walmart, she started yelling at all of us and throwing a fit because she couldn't get anything out of the claw machine.

Her sister and I pretty much ended up agreeing that if she does get to play LoZ, neither of us are going to help her. If we do help her, we'll end up practically playing 75%-80% of the game for her, while having to deal with her yelling commands at us like "JUMP!" "HIT IT!" "KILL IT!"

I'm gonna venture a guess and say it'd take her a really, really long time to get through the first visit to the Forsaken Fortress. (The game we've been talking about is Wind Waker, btw.)

There's also the problem that she doesn't completely understand video games yet. It took us about a dozen times of teaching her to get her to finally understand the concept of saving her game. She kept just shutting off the console and then, when she'd start her game back up, she would be like "I have to do all of this AGAIN?! I ALREADY DID ALL THIS! WHY DO I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN?!!! DD:"

Midnight Breeze

I beat Ocarina Of Time without knowing how to speak English at an early age. It was hard, but I did it.

It has a Spanish translation, you know. >.>

Little Star

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2014 Mar 17, 09:25:41
I beat Ocarina Of Time without knowing how to speak English at an early age. It was hard, but I did it.

It has a Spanish translation, you know. >.>

Julius is too cool for that.
Purr?

I keep getting distracted so easily! I'll be memorizing piano stuff then forget what I was doing, sit on the computer and browse LoE...
Wait a minute... What was I doing?

Go Up