Most annoying things in video games

Started by Lord of Madness, 2012 Oct 11, 03:03:12

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Darkangel

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Oct 26, 03:29:35
The gobul in Monster Hunter Tri I'm at the point where I dislike all water bosses. One of these days I'll learn to fight better in the water.  :l

Crazy fish thing with sharp teeth.
Spoiler: show

That's a weird looking angler fish. :P
Don't know what to put here.
So I just am typing these words, not knowing what to type here.
Maybe later I'll figure out.

Book Smarts

Games that don't give you stealth factors and when trying to sneak up on enemies with their backs facing you. They just turn around once your near and start attacking  :c

lurk852

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Oct 26, 10:31:21
Games that don't give you stealth factors and when trying to sneak up on enemies with their backs facing you. They just turn around once your near and start attacking  :c

Like Persona 4 (again) - and it's even worse because different enemies have the same model but are different sizes. Why is that a problem? Because it means that with the camera behind your character, it's near-impossible to judge how close you are. Thus, you often end up coming up too short with your sneak attack and getting whacked in the face, or getting too close and getting whacked in the face, which can be disastrous on high difficulties.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

stealthunicorn

Quote from: Darkangel on 2012 Oct 26, 01:09:02
Quote from: Nala Valor on 2012 Oct 26, 00:18:01
I don't know if it has been mentioned but... Sand-attack in pokemon stadium 1 and 2. After 2 sand attack, your pokemon cannot land one single hit. :I I can't hit anyone and then I get defeated.

Any accuracy lowering move in general really.

Heh... you two should never battle me then. I always have an emergency umbreon with double team, toxic, and moonlight lol
I imagine the game to go like this:
Me: "Enough already! you scare it awa..."
Someone else: "Leeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrooooooyyyy Jenkins!"
Me: ".... Dang it."

Lord of Madness

Quote from: stealthunicorn on 2012 Oct 26, 15:41:36
Quote from: Darkangel on 2012 Oct 26, 01:09:02
Quote from: Nala Valor on 2012 Oct 26, 00:18:01
I don't know if it has been mentioned but... Sand-attack in pokemon stadium 1 and 2. After 2 sand attack, your pokemon cannot land one single hit. :I I can't hit anyone and then I get defeated.

Any accuracy lowering move in general really.

Heh... you two should never battle me then. I always have an emergency umbreon with double team, toxic, and moonlight lol

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! evil!!!

Julius

Games with several endings. I try to get the best ending always, and when I don't it makes me angry because I usually don't go through a game more than once. So annoying. >:/

Depending on the game and the requirements to get a good ending, I may try to get the good ending if I don't get it the first time.

If I don't like the game enough, I just watch it on YouTube.
Purr~

Book Smarts

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Oct 27, 00:26:52
Games with several endings. I try to get the best ending always, and when I don't it makes me angry because I usually don't go through a game more than once. So annoying. >:/

Depending on the game and the requirements to get a good ending, I may try to get the good ending if I don't get it the first time.

Star Fox Command annoyed me with the multiple endings  >:/

lurk852

...Okay, I know I keep citing Persona 4, but people keep bringing up relative things. P4 is terrible about its endings. To get the good ending (and see the final boss) you have to give an extremely specific and non-intuitive series of answers in a certain dialogue. >:( Getting to the "true" ending and the "true" final boss is arguably even more ridiculous, but that's a bit harder to describe without spoilers.

Flamestriker

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Oct 27, 01:15:11

...Okay, I know I keep citing Persona 4, but people keep bringing up relative things. P4 is terrible about its endings. To get the good ending (and see the final boss) you have to give an extremely specific and non-intuitive series of answers in a certain dialogue. >:( Getting to the "true" ending and the "true" final boss is arguably even more ridiculous, but that's a bit harder to describe without spoilers.

Some games with multiple endings are okay... but not when there are over 5 endings, or the 'true' ending is almost impossible to see...
[move][/move]

Chishio Kunrin

Disgaea 2 kind of gives you a spoiler hint if you use an infinite HP cheatcode in one of the boss battles because you're supposed to lose the battle.

The story is that a demon overlord cursed your town, turning everyone except the main character into demons. Your family tries to do a summoning to get to him and break the curse, but they accidentally summon his daughter. :o So you have her with you through the story, taking her back to her home.
One of the early boss fights is Etna, from the first game, though they changed her voice actress to some annoying chick. Ugh...
If you use an infinite HP cheatcode and defeat her, you get a little alternate scene where you have taken her title.
Spoiler: The actual spoiler bit • show
Everyone else is like "Wait, wouldn't that make you a demon?"
[/spoiler]
After the scene finishes, you start back at the part of the game before that boss battle, so you can't continue with the story unless you turn the infinite HP cheat off and lose to her like you're supposed to.

An annoying thing in games is when they change the voice actor for a character, especially when the new voice is terrible. DD:

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Julius

Different voice actors... Yes.

Must say I've only noticed on Heavy Rain (Thanks Pewd's), but it is really bad and annoying.

Oh... Well they changed Twilight's voice in Latin MLP from episode... 14 onward I think. Now that doesn't count as a video game but... The first voice was perfect.

Off-Topic: I LOVE how Applejack says Sugarcube in Spanish. :3
Purr~

Thetracker3

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Oct 27, 06:05:01

Disgaea 2 kind of gives you a spoiler hint if you use an infinite HP cheatcode in one of the boss battles because you're supposed to lose the battle.

The story is that a demon overlord cursed your town, turning everyone except the main character into demons. Your family tries to do a summoning to get to him and break the curse, but they accidentally summon his daughter. :o So you have her with you through the story, taking her back to her home.
One of the early boss fights is Etna, from the first game, though they changed her voice actress to some annoying chick. Ugh...
[spoiler]If you use an infinite HP cheatcode and defeat her, you get a little alternate scene where you have taken her title.
[/spoiler]
After the scene finishes, you start back at the part of the game before that boss battle, so you can't continue with the story unless you turn the infinite HP cheat off and lose to her like you're supposed to.

An annoying thing in games is when they change the voice actor for a character, especially when the new voice is terrible. DD:
[/quote][/spoiler]
     I swear to Luna (no I don't, swearing is bad) that I have played that game... I wanted to say it was a GBA game, but after a quick Google search... I was wrong. I cannot seem to remember the game I was thinking of! And that is annoying...
     But back to the topic at hand. I don't mind games with multiple endings, or even multiple stories. It makes the game have GREAT replay value. What's the fun in playing a game that only has one ending? "Oh hey, in this room there is a monster that attacks you with poison." "Turn right here and get a special item that gives you a boost to your health" I'd rather play a game that is like this: "Oh hey, in this room the monster will attack you if you are good, and give you a magic sword if you are evil." Or "Turn right here and get a special item that gives you a damage boost if you saved that little girl back there, or it gives you the ability to get health from damage dealt if you let that vampire kill her." It makes the game WAY more interesting.
What I dislike, is games that don't let you backtrack after you reach a certain point. It makes collecting all the items impossible, and I hate when I can't collect everything.
Pity Anti-bronies, for they don't know the love of The Herd.

Pet's name: Fëanáro
Ultimate brony survey: http://derpy.me/UBS2012

Chishio Kunrin

Sometimes, in some games, I don't like for my choices to have too much weight. I've been hesitant to play Fable 3 because of what they've said, that my choices as a ruler in the second half will have quite some weight to them. I tend to be completely evil in the Fable games. I felt kinda bad in Fable 2 when I accidentally ruined that farm town with the monks. I didn't know choosing the evil side of the quest about the Temple of Light would ruin the town, but then again, I should've thought about that, as it makes sense that it would.

lurk852

If you use an infinite HP cheatcode and defeat her, you get a little alternate scene where you have taken her title.
[/spoiler]

You're talking about Michelle Ruff. She's not actually a terrible VA, she just... can't do comedy. At all.  :c

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: lurk852 on 2012 Oct 27, 15:48:37

[spoiler]If you use an infinite HP cheatcode and defeat her, you get a little alternate scene where you have taken her title.
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

You're talking about Michelle Ruff. She's not actually a terrible VA, she just... can't do comedy. At all.  :c
[/quote]
Etna didn't used to sound so... preppy and princessy in the first game. That's what I don't like about her voice in the second game. :c She sounded cool in the first game, and then the second game comes along, and she's suddenly a princessy prep. I haven't heard her in the third game since I haven't played it yet, though.

Book Smarts

When the main character loses all of their power ups gained in the first game; in the sequel

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Oct 27, 22:22:30
When the main character loses all of their power ups gained in the first game; in the sequel

It sucks, but it has to happen. At least in Assassin's Creed, with Ezio, they made some pretty good reasons.
In Brotherhood,
The villa ends up under attack while Ezio's asleep. He wakes up and has to rush out of there, only managing to grab a sword and a hidden blade, thus leaving behind his other weapons, second hidden blade, and awesome epic super boss armor. Why does he leave it behind? He gets shot and ends up losing consciousness while trying to escape. Why did the epic assassin get shot? He was distracted by the jerk who took the Apple from his uncle.

In Revelations,
Well, the official trailer actually shows you what happens at the very beginning of Revelations. He gets captured and one of his hidden blades gets broken, so he ends up with only one hidden blade, a sword, and I think no armor, or at least no proper armor. The broken hidden blade opens the way for him to get a hookblade from the local assassins.

Wandering Star

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Oct 27, 22:22:30

Sometimes, they give a proper explanation about that. However, for the sake of gaming, it isn't bad if the character starts again at level one, if at least he got something learned from the last game.

Teal Turken

VS the AI:
~AI enemies shooting at impossible ranges. What the heck....Arma 2 is the worst defender of this. The enemy bots can see AND shoot you from miles away, and I mean miles. This game is real scale, replica local of a Russian area. It's a good game, but you'll be taking sniper rifles more than any other gun in the game.

~Enemies capabilities exceed your own when they aren't programed to OR shouldn't be programed to. A good example of this is in Dark Souls. Some of the enemies have the capability to attack you through walls. Another good example is in Rainbow Six Vegas 2, where the enemies "FPS screen" moves faster than their character model, commonly resulting in being shot by a guy who isn't facing you. Note-You die fast in Rainbow Six Vegas.

~Physic AI. I'm pretty sure we all know this one, where the AI seem to know everything your doing or plan to do. (TES) Oblivion guards tend to just know you stole something or killed someone and in fighter games your opponent often counters every attack you throw at them.

~Retarded AI allies. This urks me to death. If we can have insanely OP enemy AIs, why can't our allies be the same? We've got AI who just walk into hazzards, AI who can't shoot straight, AI who don't do what they are supposed to do, AI who don't heal you, AI who do something stupid like use pills and then a med kit (Left for Dead >:/)...come on Vid Game companies, it's 2012, give us better AI!

Rissian

2012 Oct 29, 00:12:34 #159 Last Edit: 2012 Oct 29, 00:16:59 by Trege
I can say Left 4 deads AI has saved me numerous times but they tend to not be smart when you want them to get in the safe house or sometimes they just act stupid, I think they also suck at avoiding car alarms.  DD:

Bosses like Sephiroth in KH2 who require insane amounts of reaction and memorization to beat, or for you to mass stock up on high potions but I think you can only hold like 5 items maybe a little more in the battle menu. (Nothing ever seems to block his crazy limit break when he gets 3 or 4 bars left except reflectga I think that's what it's called and you can only use that around 5 times then have to wait for the animation to end, and by that time you're low on MP in the battle from his crazy harvest attacks.)

The final boss on Shadow of Colossus was kind of crazy as well at least I sucked at reaching it's head.

Go Up