Thinking about building a gaming computer..

Started by Science Woona, 2013 Mar 30, 02:35:18

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Science Woona

Yep.
I put some stuff together on newegg and ended with something that cost like $3000 >A<

So..
Yeah, if anypony has any idea's regarding building a computer, I'd love it and you.
My price range is under $1500 (+100)

:D
I is a scientist

(Everypony that helps gets a snuggle :3)
Click the picture for my blog!

Check out my art thread!

Midnight Breeze

2013 Mar 30, 02:42:46 #1 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 30, 22:45:01 by Midnight Breeze
For 3000 you've gotta be overdoing it.

Are you trying to build totally from scratch? Case, monitor, everything?

The Stars

Eh, you can try some of the few stuff Razer has up for sale at their website.

Razer Blade is about $500 or more out of your price range, but if you want a gaming tablet (With windows 8, sadly), you can check out the Razer Edge

There's also several Alienware appliances you can check out, starting at $999

Or, you can check out one of these PCs that Madness ordered called ORIGIN. Starts at $961

Well now, I think I've done as much help as I can :U
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Seriack

I "upgraded" mine for 1k, add an extra 90 for a new monitor. All from Newegg as well. 'Cept the monitor, it came from Best Buy.
[move][/move]
Thanks Soriku for the Pixel Poneh!
My OC's((Only one so far))
"Let me carry your burdens"

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: The Stars on 2013 Mar 30, 02:50:34
Alienware

Nopenopenopenopenopenope

Alienware is an insanely overpriced scam Dell uses to sell old parts to people who don't know about computer specs. Stay away from them, please. You're paying for the name, nothing more.

BTW Woona, when you say you want a gaming computer, what do you mean by that? Do you mean one that can run games smoothly on max graphics settings?

The Stars

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Mar 30, 02:57:07
Quote from: The Stars on 2013 Mar 30, 02:50:34
Alienware

Nopenopenopenopenopenope

Alienware is an insanely overpriced scam Dell uses to sell old parts to people who don't know about computer specs. Stay away from them, please. You're paying for the name, nothing more.

BTW Woona, when you say you want a gaming computer, what do you mean by that? Do you mean one that can run games smoothly on max graphics settings?

Ah. Well, suppose stick with Origin and Razer as open options then XD.
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Midnight Breeze

Razor doesn't actually sell computer parts, but gaming input devices. If you are looking for a mouse then I would definitely suggest the Razor Deathadder. I bought one 5 years ago and I'm still using it today. I've never met a single gamer who doesn't like it.

I'm also a huge Nostromo fanboy. I can't game without one.

Science Woona

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Mar 30, 03:01:22
Are you trying to build totally from scratch? Case, monitor, everything?

I'm also a huge Nostromo fanboy. I can't game without one.

Nostromo is my god. lol
But yes, from scratch. CPU, Motherboard, Case, Power Supply, GPU, etc. etc. And by gaming I mean something that can run todays games (BF2, BO2, ETC.) on max. As well as be able to stream and export music/video's, so a powerful CPU. (Or would that run off RAM?)

Check out my art thread!

Julius

You should also keep in mind (In order to accurately provide assistance for Woona) that he wants six monitors. Seriously. lol
Purr~

CyanideInsanity

$3k, huh? Try ibuypower, I made a PC that costs about $8600. 3 gtx titans and an i7 extreme! lol thats 4k right there.

Anyway, on topic, I'd suggest you search up some benchmarks on the gtx 660 and above, as well as the radeon equivalents. See which would be better for you for its price. You may also want to look into setting up sli or crossfire, multiple GPUs can make a difference sometimes.

Now, for a multi-display setup, what will you be doing? Using it as a work station(editing and rendering videos) or gaming across all? If you're going to be doing multi-display gaming sli/crossfire may be necessary for a smooth experience.

As for the processor, I don't know if an i7's hyperthreading would make a difference for streaming. But I would recommend and i5 or i7 as they seem to have slightly better performance in games over AMD processors. Also for gaming and livestreaming, it'll likely be in your best interest to get better cooling for the cpu. Either liquid cooling, or high quality air cooling so you can overclock and keep optimal temperatures.

The PSU depends on what you have, and should likely be the last thing you completely decide on. I'm not sure how accurate this is, http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, but I've seen it referred to several times while looking around tech forums. Though I'd say you'd likely need 650w or more for your desired system.

You'll probably be fine with 8gb of ram, but if you're going to have a lot of programs up and just sitting idle in the background while gaming you may want to think about more.

Now, any motherboard is fine so long as it has what you need, but I'd suggest you get one with PCIe x16 gen 3. A bit more bandwidth for the video card over gen 2. And always make sure the mobo supports your CPU's socket.

I'd also suggest thinking about an SSD for the OS. Faster boot times makes everyone happy!

For the case, it depends on personal preferences. Do you want one that looks amazing, one that has  a lot of fans, one that has large fans for larger radiators for liquid cooling? Also the size, a mid or full size? I'd recommend full unless you only have a small amount of space for it. A full size will run from $100-300.

And yeah, I'd suggest newegg for your hardware as well.
Sugarcup, I thank thee for the AWESOME avatar!
I like my weapons, how I like my music: Heavy and Metal!
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/CyanideInsanity

Book Smarts

Look around Newegg and try to start making wishlists, at the moment, their running a crazy deal for AMD processors and motherboard combos.

Nitrouspony

I built my computer recently and I wish my $650 budget was $1500.

He's a little awkward but he knows what he's talking about. Also the video is pretty old, so a lot of the things are outdated.

I don't know much about AMD, so if you only want to play games, get an Intel i5 because usually games only will use 4 cores in your cpu, and the cpu doesn't do much of the heavy lifting in games anyway. If you wan to do something like live streaming, you'd want to go with an i7 because hyper threading will give you plenty of threads to stream and play games at the same time.

If you do get an intel LGA 1155 CPU, be sure it's unlocked with a K at the end of its name and your motherboard has the Z77 chipset so you can overclock your CPU, RAM and some other third thing.

If you want SLI or CrossFire, don't do it. You'd get more performance for less money and power if you get a single high end card rather than 2 lower end cards. Unless of course you want 2 680s, but with your budget, I don't think that's possible. Although getting a motherboard that supports SLI is a good idea because rather than buying a whole new gpu in the future, you can just add on another card and you will be ok for the next million years. Even if you get a AMD card, get a motherboard that supports SLI because in general the motherboards that only support CrossFire will have much lower bandwidth on the lower PCIe slot.

But if you know you'll never do SLI or CrossFire ever, mini-ITX motherboard like this one are tiny and awesome, and let you get cool cases like this one.

RAM is cheap as noodles compared to your budget, so get all the RAM. 16 or 32, but 8 will be ok if you're budget becomes tight.

If you want a quiet computer, make sure to buy some PWM fans, because, like the motherboard I bought, I only have PWM fan headers with no voltage control. Chances are, your case will only have 3 pin fans like mine did.

And if you do do water cooling, I've seen that Thermaltake's closed loop coolers have better performance than the water coolers from corsair. The water2.0 pro I like because it can fit in the case's exhaust fan slot (which is pretty much every case) and it controls the fan and pump speed through the motherboard without Windows software intervention.

Final thought, get an SSD.

Rissian

2013 Mar 30, 12:24:18 #12 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 30, 12:35:28 by Trege
If you're on a tight budget you can get away with a pretty good PC fir under $900, also a lot of newegg products are over priced from what I've seen, you can get better deals sometimes on Amazon if they have the stock even in new parts which helps even more on saving money. The PC me and my cousin built was only like $800 and it turned into a monster PC, But he also didn't plan to overclock it. He either got an i5 or an i7 I can't remember. He runs skyrim on max settings with those high quality graphics mods at 720p to 1080p while recording at stock speeds. You can get 8GB of RAM for around $40 last I checked on Amazon.

Science Woona

2013 Mar 30, 16:29:02 #13 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 30, 16:40:45 by Science Woona
I'll be streaming, rendering, and gaming. Probably at the same time. Exporting music/video's form AE and FL studio. Streaming games and such. As well as gaming. :3

I've been messing around with some of the configurations you guys are giving me, thanks :D

Also:
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73970X
$1,049
lol

Check out my art thread!

Seriack

If you want the specs for my comp, I can send them to you. Don't know if they'll run games at the highest setting, but I can stream and all that pretty well... And I bet the stuff I got is a lot cheaper now the. It was about a year ago.
[move][/move]
Thanks Soriku for the Pixel Poneh!
My OC's((Only one so far))
"Let me carry your burdens"

Lord of Madness

Build it! So that you can have one like I do and we can do awesome things together online :U

McSleuthburger

if I would have more time I would build up a nice new desktop but Im thinking of buying a new desktop over the holiday season because that is usually when computers are at their cheapest
hoping to find a nice desktop for around a grand when the holidays come around
so that and a hopefully a ps4 during the holidays and I will be all up to date on technology  lol
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Go Up