Royal Academy of Magic (Jump-In!) - IMF&M ended; Current Class: Dragonology

Started by The Wandering Magus, 2012 Aug 30, 16:37:00

previous topic - next topic

IMF&M ended, current class: Dragonology.  Please vote for the next class!

Inter-Magical Forces and Magitronics
0 (0%)
Dragonology and Other Beasts
3 (7.5%)
Summoning
4 (10%)
Biology
1 (2.5%)
Swimming
0 (0%)
Space and Flying Studies
1 (2.5%)
Music
1 (2.5%)
Practical Applications of Magic
0 (0%)
Magical Items
2 (5%)
Runeology
4 (10%)
Magic Glyphs
1 (2.5%)
Magic Drawings
0 (0%)
Shadow Magic
8 (20%)
Healing Magic and Herbology, Potions
4 (10%)
Elemental Magic
9 (22.5%)
Ancient Magic
2 (5%)
Other (please suggest in OOC or PM me)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Go Down

Nala Valor

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Nov 15, 17:18:01
"Still I'm used to magic all my life. Being unable to perform, would be strange."
she said "don't worry, you'll still be able to use magic, It'll just be used differently, that's all."

The Wandering Magus

2013 Nov 15, 19:08:30 #4481 Last Edit: 2013 Nov 15, 23:06:58 by The Wandering Magus
Quote from: blobking156 on 2013 Nov 15, 17:45:00
Bacon took the waivers, and watever else, and sat down. she pulled a pen, something not many ponies had, out of her saddlebag. it was sort of like a quill, but with the push of a button, new ink came out onto the tip. she started writing in the information onto the papers. onceshe was done, she handed the papers back to the secretary.
The scrolls vanished in a puff of smoke as soon as she was finished, sailing through a pipe in the wall.  A moment later some papers appeared, alongside a map.  The secretary smiled politely.  "Welcome to the Academy, Professor Bacon.  Your schedule and roster are there, along with a map of the grounds and various other helpful information sheets.  Your room..."

The map unfolded itself in impossible ways until it was a nearly perfect three-dimensional replica of the Academy, with one of the rooms in the towers highlighted, along with the most convenient path from the mare's current location.

"...and you won't be needing keys here, the magic doors are security enough.  Nothing to accidentally misplace somewhere.  Your uniform for formal events, and other useful items, will be in your lecture hall.  Oh, and of course identification forms for transportation and community event discounts."
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

blobking156

Thank you, i'll be on my way, then. Bacon started on her way to the highlighted area. magic locks, eh? well, I hope I don't have to use magic.

Bravo 658

This was the point where Wavelength started taking notes, writing down possibilities and new theories erupting in his head.  Most of them were probably already solved, but he nonetheless looked forward to looking up their answers.  Still an experimental field... over at GPARC, they didn't conduct tests on organisms, but the mechanical and chemical tests that would doubtless follow Wavelength's debriefing might serve to help the endeavor.  He made a mental note to ask Feather what fields are in the greatest need of experimentation after class.

Bane Emural

Bane opens his eyes and gets up. "That is enough resting for now. I should head back to my classroom and start unpacking." Bane goes back into the tower and into the assigned classroom. He throws a small sphere on the ground. "Alen Des Ven Das." The sphere transforms into a mechanical golem of Ancient magic and starts working on the classroom to fit the subject of which Bane will be teaching, Ancient Magic and old spells.
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

LostSanity

Mage and Flare continued to furiously write down as many notes as they can, in an attempt to write down everything the professor was saying to all of the questions he was answering.

Flare looked at Mage with a look that seemed to suggest that she was confused. Mage was confused as well. They both nodded to one another.

Mage raised his right hoof and waited to be called on.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

The Wandering Magus

2013 Nov 15, 22:59:44 #4486 Last Edit: 2013 Nov 18, 14:51:20 by The Wandering Magus
The professor motioned to Mage and Flare.  "Yes, what is your question?"
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Night Pony

The mares still looked unconvinced about the rings and unwilling to ever put them on. Thought they didn't say anything they started to look around the rest of the room.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Bane Emural

The golem finishes its duty transforms back into a small sphere. Bane picks up the sphere and puts into his bag. He looks at the place and smiles. "Much better."
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

LostSanity

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Nov 15, 22:59:44

"Yes... um... is everything you're going over right now, you know, like all of the answers to the questions you're answering right now everypony has asked, in the book for this class as well?" asked Mage

Nala Valor

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Nov 16, 04:07:00
The mares still looked unconvinced about the rings and unwilling to ever put them on. Thought they didn't say anything they started to look around the rest of the room.
the class didn't have much. There was a few old artefact of at least 100 years old. They was a strange statue that seemed way older then the rest, some sort of rock that was slightly reflective, an old picture of a bird and some pony and there was an old suitcase, locked.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: LostSanity on 2013 Nov 16, 10:24:41

"Yes... um... is everything you're going over right now, you know, like all of the answers to the questions you're answering right now everypony has asked, in the book for this class as well?" asked Mage
The professor nodded.  "'Modern Applications Of Magitronics' is covered in the 'For Your Information' boxes spaced intermittently throughout the chapters.  Check the index and appendices to find more information about the medical advances and such, if you wish, or feel free to ask me after class.  Any other questions?"

Night Pony

Night wlaked to the statue to take a closer look whole Moon looked at some other artefacts.
"What is this statue?"

Nala Valor

She looked at it and said "oh that? That's an ember statue. One of my very old friends found it in a ruin about 150 years ago or so. According to the writings he found in the ruins he got it, it's supposed to bring heat when in need. I put it there so that no one freezes the whole classroom."

Grizzly

Blue made herself more confortable in her chair and held back a yawn. She was tired from her trip and from all the writting, never the less she wanted to stay until the end of the class.

((page 300, yay :D))
The most common accident is the one noone expects.

Night Pony

Bravo 658

Wavelength contently made no motion to raise a hoof.  He glanced over a relevant text book page, then returned his eyes to the front and waited for Feather to continue.

Nala Valor

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Nov 16, 16:56:49
"So it's a big heater?"
"... I guess we could say that... But it will work only if its way cold enough to be dangerous"

LostSanity

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Nov 16, 15:36:17
Quote from: LostSanity on 2013 Nov 16, 10:24:41

The professor nodded.  "'Modern Applications Of Magitronics' is covered in the 'For Your Information' boxes spaced intermittently throughout the chapters.  Check the index and appendices to find more information about the medical advances and such, if you wish, or feel free to ask me after class.  Any other questions?"

Mage lowered his hoof and nodded to acknowledge that he understood. He and Flare would have to vigorously study this textbook for sure.

The Wandering Magus

Feather waited a bit longer, then continued his lecture.

"Now, before we get to amplification, let's first discuss efficiency.  The process of converting magical energy to physical effect is not always entirely efficient.  In fact, it has been discovered that it is impossible within the limits of our world to have 100% efficiency.  I say 'within the limits of our world' because beyond our world there exist entities which do in fact have 100% efficiency or greater..."

He coughed, somewhat embarrassed.

"...but the study of such creatures is both beyond the scope of this course and currently prohibited by Equestrian law to anypony not bearing a research licence.  Returning to the subject at hoof, however, the result of this inefficiency is the conversion of some of the magical energy into physical energy, whether that be in the form of heat, light, or a force pushing a unicorn into the ground."

He lifted a pen with telekinesis to demonstrate the light and sound surrounding his horn, then replaced it on the table and brought up an image of a spell matrix.

"You may be wondering what any of this has to do with magitronics.  In fact, Spell Matrices were originally designed specifically to attempt to increase the efficiency of spells to the known limit.  It has long been known that imbuing certain materials, such as jade or onyx, with magical energy, generates a flow of mana.  It was also known that then placing said materials in specific patterns could create effects on spells.  I'm sure many of you are quite familiar with geometric magic of this form.  What was not known was that when placed together in specific patterns predicted by the Third Scroll Equation, these "runestones" were actually capable of changing the state of the moving magitrons.  By very carefully connecting or placing these runestones in specific formations, then, it was theoretically possible to convert one type of magic to another, generate spells, or, most importantly, amplify the power of spells."

The Third Scroll Equation, a complex formula involving gradients, partial derivatives and various preexisting constants, came to the front and glowed clearly.

"As you can all see, it turns out that the preciseness, efficiency, power and complexity of a spell matrix are all directly related to each other as well.  This should not be surprising, since more complex matrices will have more points at which energy loss is possible, an imprecise matrix is prone to be inefficient, and inefficient matrices tend not to be as powerful as efficient ones."

To illustrate, an image of a simple spell matrix appeared, then separated into several alternatives, each demonstrating the relationships between the variables denoting efficiency, preciseness, power and complexity, as well as planes which measured the gradient of the three-dimensional surfaces of the matrix to denote the locations of runestones.

"One interesting phenomenon that has been observed during the development of Magitronic research was the fact that Magic Fields themselves were capable of a sort of 'resonance' similar to that of Spell Fields.  This discovery led directly to the modern understanding of Magitronics, whereby actual Inter-Magical Forces, or effects of particular Magic, Spell and Resonance Fields on each other and on the state of magitrons, are utilized to create powerful macroscopic effects.  Thus, it is indeed possible to amplify the power of an original spell or create a similar effect many more times as powerful with the same amount of mana.  It is, of course, possible to leech power from other sources... but that is another topic entirely, probably related to Binding or Summoning magic, I would assume.  As for manipulating magitrons from a distance, the first two equations show the relationship between field strength and distance."

He pointed to the distance variable in the First and Second Scroll Equations.

"Any questions about all this before I move on?  The last part of the lecture concerns the relation between Spell Matrices and other fields of magic, and a little more history."

Go Up