Most horrific things you've encountered in video games.

Started by Jenzy, 2013 Feb 04, 02:12:58

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FlameandIce

the path.. just the path I don't know why but that game disturbs me on a very psychological level
now let's all agree to never be creative again thank you Sugercup
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=8674.msg666435#new
RP idea give me feedback

AlDeezy

I felt the buildup to the spiders, and the enemies in general, in "Penumbra: Overture" was one of the creepiest things I've ever experienced in gaming.
Spoiler: "Spoilers, and warning: may cause queezy stomachs" • show

You hadn't been put into much danger before you get to the area in the game that builds up how creepy these things are. You enter the room and find a locked door on the opposite wall, with some sort of muttering and murmuring coming from the other side. You try to get the person on the other side to unlock the door, but to no avail. You look around a bit more and find some... journal pages. Upon reading them, you learn about the person behind the locked door- about his excavation, about the disappearances of his group, and his dwindling food supply. He outlines that he had resorted to eating small spiders... and although at first he hates them, he slowly turns to liking them. Sure, he's slipping into insanity, and that's creepy and all, but what REALLY stood out was one of the lines he wrote down: "It's strange, these spiders seem to be getting bigger."

After a bit you have to crawl under some floorboards, and crouch-walk though these MASSIVE burrowed holes. Burrowed holes with mysterious eggs and spiderwebs everywhere.
Upon exiting, you here a loud bang and a scream. When you investigate the room you had come from, the locked door is wide open and blood is EVERYWHERE.

That all being said, the spiders didn't come in until you had a weapon, thus erasing and fear you had of them up to that point.

TL;DR - Buildup was scary, yo. Spiders weren't actually scary, yo.

Book Smarts

Quote from: FlameandIce on 2013 Jun 27, 16:57:25
the path.. just the path I don't know why but that game disturbs me on a very psychological level

Kind of reminds me of the part of the Fable III main questline where you attempt to escape a desert while getting harassed by the main antagonist.  >.<

Teal Turken

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Jun 29, 01:28:41
Quote from: FlameandIce on 2013 Jun 27, 16:57:25

Kind of reminds me of the part of the Fable III main questline where you attempt to escape a desert while getting harassed by the main antagonist.  >.<

That villain sucked. I wanted to dual my brother, not fight a "darkness incarnate" :l

Chishio Kunrin

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Book Smarts

TwilightNight

Any sort of monster, both invisible and visible, in Amnesia: The Dark Decent.

Chishio Kunrin

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Blues-Music

PownyTail

Some of my favorite creepy monsters are from the Silent hill series such as the human centipede boss from Homecoming, or the 2 headed baby from SH 4 (yea, tought it'd be better to leave the images out) :P

Enstramentall

I'm actually a very sensitive person, so the zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 nearly scared me have to death.  >.<
[move][/move] Hi! Hello! Hola! Benvenidos! Bonjour! Gutentag! :P I think you get the idea.

Weatherboy1

Quote from: Teal Turken on 2013 Jun 25, 13:54:25
Quote from: Book Smarts on 2013 Jun 25, 13:29:09
So far, the final bosses of both Mass Effect 1 and 2

Haven't seen the second one but the one if ME1 is horrifying. :I

The second one is, sort of terrifying...1st one holy crap, 3rd one laughable.

Flamestriker

Quote from: Weatherboy1 on 2013 Jul 01, 19:34:40

The final boss from ME1 gave me a nightmare.... the final boss of ME2 is pretty scary too, considering what it is.
[move][/move]

Teal Turken

Quote from: Flamestriker on 2013 Jul 02, 00:30:43
Quote from: Weatherboy1 on 2013 Jul 01, 19:34:40

The final boss from ME1 gave me a nightmare.... the final boss of ME2 is pretty scary too, considering what it is.

I've seen it now. The final boss of ME2, to me, is not scary or disturbing. It's cool, but the fight itself...
It's pretty weak. Common enemies are far harder. I'm sick of games that try to have giant epic bosses that end up being lame.
Third person shooters just aren't compatible with giant bosses with weakpoints, they just aren't.

Zygrograxgra

Meat Circus from Psychonauts
The Flood from Halo

Titanium Mushrooms
Are you happy yet?!

Lord Illidan

To me, what scares me more are the resident evil in the darkness  ono

Azure

The final level of R-Type Final.
You've saved the galaxy from weird mechanical-biological uglies.
How do you end it?
By travelling through a weird tunnel, being bombarded by spiky things that stare at you.
You save the universe by launching your main weapon at the final boss, losing it, and then charging your beam while avoiding an onslaught of dead enemies.
After firing it, you get treated to a lovely scene of your dead ship just floating out to nowhere.
That is the end.

Then there's the other end where you become the enemy and destroy your own side without knowing it.

I suppose it's better than the ending in one of the other games where you get trapped in a fleshy forest for all of eternity.

Oh, and I almost forgot the boss fight against a giant mass of flesh that fires its heart at you for a last resort.
3DS Friend Code: 1091-8504-5380
BE THERE AND BE SQUARE
Spoiler: show

this'll have ponies one day
Skype in the off chance that you'd like to talk to me: AzureLancet

FlameandIce

my heaven the theme of the final boss (either Alessa or the god) in the first Silent hill I thought my TV was messing up since I was playing for hours on end
now let's all agree to never be creative again thank you Sugercup
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=8674.msg666435#new
RP idea give me feedback

Kolth

More of a fridge horror thing than anything else, but the holotapes/terminal entries/etc. left from before/during the Great War that you can find in the Fallout games. There is one holotape in Operation: Anchorage that records an extremely terrified American soldier hiding in a closet, whimpering that he just wants to return home to his family and his dog. Out of all of the times I've played O:A, I've listened to that tape once.

Another horrific thing in Fallout is the entire premise of the Vault system. Forcing citizens to sacrifice themselves, turning them into mutants, etc...just terrible.

More overt would be Ravenholm in Half Life 2. I didn't know that ammo was scarce in there my first time through...it got hairy towards the end. But WOW that place gives me the creeps.
So I can just put anything here?

Mr. Gency

Headcrabs and headcrab zombies. The normal ones aren't that bad, but the poison and fast variants make my skin crawl.
The best part of a stealth game is sitting in a dark corner, listening to some guards talk about mundane things.

Go Up