previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Ahaut on 2012 Nov 09, 00:19:53

What if that's rephrased to:
When Celestia drops the sun
I drop the bass

lol

Anyway I believe the original purpose of this thread was to discuss Twilight (possibly) being related to Celestia.

Well, she's somewhat related.  It's not uncommon for royalty/nobility/aristocracy to be related to each other, although the relations can be quite distant.  In this case, I'm not sure whether "aunt" means "parent's sibiling" or whether it means a more complex relationship neatly summed up in that title.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Book Smarts

She would be the goddess of music  lol

Ahaut

Yeahhh that's what I'm talking about 8-|

Meteor

Evidence against Twilight becoming an alicorn. This time, not only does Tara Strong deny the tweet, she says Twilight does not.

http://twitter.com/HubTVNetwork/status/267014805901172736

The Wandering Magus

wait... TS IS the Hub?! O:

also: I guess I'm really, really, REALLY slow on this, but I JUST noticed that Tara Strong and Twilight Sparkle have the same initials x3  I iz sily pone
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

Moonkiss

Book Smarts

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Nov 09, 22:24:17
wait... TS IS the Hub?! O:

also: I guess I'm really, really, REALLY slow on this, but I JUST noticed that Tara Strong and Twilight Sparkle have the same initials x3  I iz sily pone

Dawnstar

You know, having watched the season 3 premiere a couple times to catch stuff I may have missed, I'm pretty sure that Cadence isn't as directly related to Celestia as people think. It's pretty obvious at this point, of course, that Cadence is of the Crystal Empire's royal bloodline, but they haven't said how exactly she is related to Celestia.

What I think happened is when the Empire disappeared Celestia probably took in Cadence's parents or she was orphaned by Sombra. Considering the age she was when she foalsat for Twilight I'd bet she was more than likely raised by Celestia and that's why she calls her "aunt," but I don't think she's actually Celestia's blood related niece.

Darckwar

I don't see why people hate Twilight be coming a alicorn so much to the point of getting out of the show and not coming back.  o_O :o

Tiger

Quote from: Darckwar on 2012 Nov 27, 01:23:01
I don't see why people hate Twilight be coming a alicor so much to the point of getting out of the show and not coming back.  o_O :o

Because average ponies being completely overpowered alicorns are terrible.

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Chishio Kunrin

I don't see why people hate Twilight be coming a alicor so much to the point of getting out of the show and not coming back.  o_O :o

Alicorn = All-powerful like a deity or goddess
Alicorn with superior mastery over magic to the point where it's her cutie mark and element = Overpowered, and probably putting Twilight over the Mary Sue line.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 27, 01:24:59

Alicorn with superior mastery over magic to the point where it's her cutie mark and element = Overpowered, and probably putting Twilight over the Mary Sue line.
it's happened before with other shows, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Kung Fu Panda, etc.

Dawnstar

While Twilight permanently becoming an Alicorn would be a bit disappointing for me I wouldn't quite say that it would put her over the Mary Sue line, close, but not quite.

Between personality flaws and general poor judgement under certain situations I see her having that much potential power to be dangerous and likely to cause just as many problems as it could fix (remember the chaos caused by the want it, need it spell with just her normal magic?).

I can actually imagine a possible episode they could do where she does become an Alicorn temporarily, but due to a series of mishaps with good intentions at the end she ends up realizing that it's too much power and responsibility for her to handle (because let's face it, that much power requires a level head and a lot of wisdom to wield responsibly) and she returns to being just a Unicorn.

Cobalt ZERO

2012 Dec 19, 16:09:28 #93 Last Edit: 2012 Dec 19, 16:26:30 by Cobalt ZERO
Quote from: Dawnstar on 2012 Nov 27, 15:48:08
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Nov 27, 14:28:19
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 27, 01:24:59

it's happened before with other shows, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Kung Fu Panda, etc.

While Twilight permanently becoming an Alicorn would be a bit disappointing for me I wouldn't quite say that it would put her over the Mary Sue line, close, but not quite.

Between personality flaws and general poor judgement under certain situations I see her having that much potential power to be dangerous and likely to cause just as many problems as it could fix (remember the chaos caused by the want it, need it spell with just her normal magic?).

I can actually imagine a possible episode they could do where she does become an Alicorn temporarily, but due to a series of mishaps with good intentions at the end she ends up realizing that it's too much power and responsibility for her to handle (because let's face it, that much power requires a level head and a lot of wisdom to wield responsibly) and she returns to being just a Unicorn.

eh.. i still dont see what the big deal is..i like alicorns.. not because theyre over powered or anything tho. i mean.. you dont see cadance do anything overpowered. the most she did was the shield spell that shining has. to keep sombra out..also as a team theyre powerful but otherwise not OP

also celestia got her butt kicked by chrysalis. so yeah.. and shes not even a real pony shes some shapeshifting bug alien pony race  :I

OH AND ONE LAST THING..pinkie pie is the overpowered one..especially when you combine her with twilight.. for example

this and dashies rain-nuke on AJ barn is my fave parts
SPEAKETH WITH THE ROYAL CAPSLOCK!

Dawnstar

I think the problem people have with it is due to the statement in Boast Busters that most unicorns only have a little magic that tends to favor their special talent.

Even the princesses fall under this statement as, while they may be powerful due to their Alicorn status, their magic isn't all-powerful. Celestia and Luna are capable of raising the sun, moon and stars with the former having done so alone for 1000 years and the latter being able to enter dreams as well. Cadence is capable of spreading "love and light" across a small kingdom which can be boosted for a while by Shining. These abilities match very well to their special talents, but their other magical abilities are notably less powerful.

As you mentioned, Celestia was beaten by the changeling queen. Celestia and Luna only managed to defeat their past foes with help from the Elements so my wager is that they couldn't do it on their own power. Cadence was beaten by Chrysalis even more easily than Celestia, and she looked horrible after having held off Sombra for so long.

But, then comes Twilight who's special talent -is- magic. She has learned more magic more quickly than most unicorns could probably ever hope to. She can learn spells just by watching other ponies perform them, first the dark magic Celestia showed her and then the age spell that she almost casts successfully after watching Trixie cast it. Twilight and her friends were also able to do something Celestia couldn't: return Luna back to being Luna. Now, give her the Alicorn's superior magic strength compounded with her own natural ability, and Twilight could potentially be far more powerful than any of the other princesses.

ComputerDeathglare

Then we should stop freaking out about alicorn OCs and more over Twilight OCs. lol
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Cobalt ZERO

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2012 Dec 19, 18:00:19
I think the problem people have with it is due to the statement in Boast Busters that most unicorns only have a little magic that tends to favor their special talent.

Even the princesses fall under this statement as, while they may be powerful due to their Alicorn status, their magic isn't all-powerful. Celestia and Luna are capable of raising the sun, moon and stars with the former having done so alone for 1000 years and the latter being able to enter dreams as well. Cadence is capable of spreading "love and light" across a small kingdom which can be boosted for a while by Shining. These abilities match very well to their special talents, but their other magical abilities are notably less powerful.

As you mentioned, Celestia was beaten by the changeling queen. Celestia and Luna only managed to defeat their past foes with help from the Elements so my wager is that they couldn't do it on their own power. Cadence was beaten by Chrysalis even more easily than Celestia, and she looked horrible after having held off Sombra for so long.

But, then comes Twilight who's special talent -is- magic. She has learned more magic more quickly than most unicorns could probably ever hope to. She can learn spells just by watching other ponies perform them, first the dark magic Celestia showed her and then the age spell that she almost casts successfully after watching Trixie cast it. Twilight and her friends were also able to do something Celestia couldn't: return Luna back to being Luna. Now, give her the Alicorn's superior magic strength compounded with her own natural ability, and Twilight could potentially be far more powerful than any of the other princesses.

yeah twilight is awesome. shes tied as second along with the whole mane 6..luna is still my fave.. im just a nighttime person. and ive loved the name luna long before G4 came out
SPEAKETH WITH THE ROYAL CAPSLOCK!

Cutiebone

I'm with the many others in saying Twilight shouldn't be an alicorn because it would make her insanely OP, and that's no fun...I also wonder what Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow would think of that :\

I also think Cadence is related to Princess Celestia in some way since Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are are the only other ones who are canon alicorns, right? Because of that, everything else would have to be a theory anyway, unless another alicorn were to become canon... And not because she called her Aunt, in fact, I don't even remember hearing that...

Also, am I the only one around here who thinks Celestia is best Princess? ono Yay sunshine...
Moved to Fluffy Ribbon. FR is universal. Rather than CB, which refers to an OC that isn't used anymore, it's better to use a name I'd actually like to be identified with... >.<

Dawnstar

Honestly, I'd be ok with a temporary Alicorn transformation for Twilight. In any case her friends would be very happy for her at first, but then something happens and something goes wrong and Twilight realizes she may not be ready for such ability yet and returns to being a Unicorn until she is. At least that's how I wouldn't mind seeing it, if it's permanent I'd say it'd be far more appropriate for a big movie or the end of the series.

For Cadence, after the Crystal Empire episodes, it's pretty obvious (in my opinion anyway) that she is a direct descendant of the Crystal Empire's first queen and subsequent lineage. Whether they were related to Celestia and Luna in some way is unknown of course. However, considering how long the Crystal Empire's been gone and how young Cadence actually is I'd wager the likelihood that she was raised by Celestia and that's where the "Aunt Celestia" comes from.

Lastly, I like all three princesses equally. Celestia because she's benevolent, knows to make the hard decisions for the benefit of her subjects, but is not so above them to mingle amongst them and she always knows just how to nudge events in just the right way to make everything come out alright. Luna is more mysterious and a bit forceful, as a lot of events happen in the day and she isn't seen much, but from Sleepless we were shown that she actually has a very active role at night, even while most ponies are asleep. Cadence isn't as powerful or forceful as the other two, but she is kind, true and will push herself to her limits to protect those she cares about.

Midnight Star

If one looks more logically and genetically on the Twilight-as-an-Alicorn, it doesn't make sense.. Rarity getting her butterfly wings is fair, it was an extremely hard spell to work, and the wings were made of actual components, morning dew and, what-was-it-again? For a unicorn to grow pegasus wings all of a sudden, wouldn't that have to change her entire body structure? Pegasi are a lot lighter than earth-bound ponies, seeing as they can work their wings and walk on clouds, that makes me think they might have hollow bones, like birds do.. Aaaaanypony, sorry to go all science here, I can't help to be really into the science of MLP, so much fun... But to make it simple, I don't think it's possible to change the entire species of a pony, not even for an Alicorn, I think that would be leading to a lot of newborn foals to have their features changed to match their parents, no?  O: (I'm thinking the Cake twins here  lol )... But that's just my two bits..

Also, about the season premiere of s.3, I can't help but think, that maybe Celstia and Luna were referring to Cadence, when they mentioned about 'her being ready to go to the next level', I.E, getting her ready to rule a kingdom, maybe her going to rebuild the Crystal Empire with Shining? The Crystal ponies did point Cadence out to be 'The Crystal Princess', when the crystal heart took effect, so the idea of her being daughter of the royal crystal family isn't that farfetched to me.

Go Up