Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nala Valor

When all the busses in my region (yes, all. Almost no exception) are late by an HOUR AND AN HALF! Especially with intence hail. I was frozen to death  >A< and half my school was late too.

Midnight Breeze

Meanwhile in America...

Yes, this is the actual commercial as it appears on TV.

Tell me, what would have been wrong with just having the message from 0:16-0:26 a leaving out all the nonsense?

hyper drive [HD]

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Nov 27, 20:49:30
Meanwhile in America...

Tell me, what would have been wrong with just having the message from 0:16-0:26 a leaving out all the nonsense?
this hold the title for most annoying commercial, it plays all the time. its actually in my hate list.......its in....my.....hate.....liiiiiissssttt!
but thats just me

Bravo 658

Midnight Breeze

I'm often asked by non-Americans why the USA is such a monolingual country. Well, as a monolingual American myself I can tell you it's for two reasons:

1. We don't freaking care. Simple as that. Unless we travel abroad we have little reason to learn a second language because English is so universal.

2. Our educational system is no help. At least in my experience.

You see, in high school I took two years of Spanish, which turned out to be more about South American culture than anything else. By the time it was over I wasn't even halfway fluent, and I'm still not. What a waste of time.

Want to know just how absolutely horrible the class was? Okay...

Early on in my first year, we were given an assignment in which we were all assigned a country in South or Central America to do a short presentation on with a poster board. I don't even remember which country I had, to be honest, but I do remember quite clearly that another girl had Colombia.

Simple enough project, right? Do a little research, fill up a poster board with pictures and facts. No problem. So what does Colombia girl do? She spends all of five minutes looking up the climate of Colombia and a few odd facts.

Now, as I'm sure all of you know, the United States uses the Fahrenheit scale, while the rest of the world uses the Celsius scale. Most Americans have at least rudimentary understanding of the Celsius scale, but apparently not this girl, when reading that Colombia has a typical climate of 20-30 degrees, she assumed that was Fahrenheit temperatures...really. For those not familiar with the Fahrenheit scale, 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit is below freezing.

So, in her infinite wisdom, Colombia girl glues two pictures of a frozen, snowy tundra to her poster board with the phrase "Mucho Frio!" in big black letters over the Colombian flag....really. Even if you are completely ignorant of the Celsius scale, anyone with even the slightest grasp of reality knows there is nothing 'mucho frio' about a country that's almost right on the equator.

So surely the bubble-head failed the project miserably, right?

Nope, she got a B for 'effort'.

You know, telling this story makes me wonder: does that Spanish teacher still have her job today? God I hope not.

Lucien

:l

That's pretty stupid. Right now the only thing I'm annoyed with is how the buck I'm going to arrange this song for 5-part orchestra  lol

It's something I'm doing on my own time, and the difficulty level seems to perfectly match my school's top orchestra exactly.
Starting anew. I am a musician. My past here means nothing.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: hyper drive [HD] on 2013 Nov 27, 22:24:35
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Nov 27, 20:49:30
Meanwhile in America...

Spoiler: show

this hold the title for most annoying commercial, it plays all the time. its actually in my hate list.......its in....my.....hate.....liiiiiissssttt!
but thats just me

A lot of companies think that a stupid commercial will be memorable, but they never think about the fact that, if the commercial is too stupid, it'll make people extremely tempted to just boycott the store or the item until they make a less annoying commercial.

Seriously, there have been times where I was like "I'm not going to buy that because their commercials are always so.. annoyingly... stupid!!"
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Nov 28, 00:10:05
I'm often asked by non-Americans why the USA is such a monolingual country. Well, as a monolingual American myself I can tell you it's for two reasons:

1. We don't freaking care. Simple as that. Unless we travel abroad we have little reason to learn a second language because English is so universal.

2. Our educational system is no help. At least in my experience.

You see, in high school I took two years of Spanish, which turned out to be more about South American culture than anything else. By the time it was over I wasn't even halfway fluent, and I'm still not. What a waste of time.

Want to know just how absolutely horrible the class was? Okay...

Early on in my first year, we were given an assignment in which we were all assigned a country in South or Central America to do a short presentation on with a poster board. I don't even remember which country I had, to be honest, but I do remember quite clearly that another girl had Colombia.

Simple enough project, right? Do a little research, fill up a poster board with pictures and facts. No problem. So what does Colombia girl do? She spends all of five minutes looking up the climate of Colombia and a few odd facts.

Now, as I'm sure all of you know, the United States uses the Fahrenheit scale, while the rest of the world uses the Celsius scale. Most Americans have at least rudimentary understanding of the Celsius scale, but apparently not this girl, when reading that Colombia has a typical climate of 20-30 degrees, she assumed that was Fahrenheit temperatures...really. For those not familiar with the Fahrenheit scale, 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit is below freezing.

So, in her infinite wisdom, Colombia girl glues two pictures of a frozen, snowy tundra to her poster board with the phrase "Mucho Frio!" in big black letters over the Colombian flag....really. Even if you are completely ignorant of the Celsius scale, anyone with even the slightest grasp of reality knows there is nothing 'mucho frio' about a country that's almost right on the equator.

So surely the bubble-head failed the project miserably, right?

Nope, she got a B for 'effort'.

You know, telling this story makes me wonder: does that Spanish teacher still have her job today? God I hope not.

1. The attitude of "Don't give Billy an F! It'll lower his self-esteem!" Well, maybe Billy should pay more attention in class, and if he's genuinely struggling, go to tutorials for more one-on-one with the teacher, so he can get a better understanding of the lesson. Your boss isn't going to just not fire you simply because it'll hurt your self-esteem or your feelings, you know.
2. A bit of an off-to-the-side note, but it reminded me: Teachers who do nothing but hand out packets and sit at their desk! The school isn't paying the teacher to do nothing. If pieces of paper are doing your job, maybe you shouldn't have the job in the first place.
3. I can't speak a lick of Spanish, despite taking it in high school too, but it seems that I had better luck than you. :I I graduated high school equipped with the tools to learn and properly pronounce Spanish phrases in the Mexican dialect, should I need to.

Artist's block! >.< I'm seriously considering entering the RWBY design contest, even though I'm pretty sure I probably won't win. The only problem is, I can't think of anything good. It's slowly coming along in my mind, but it's not good enough. So, I think I'm just gonna start sketching ideas on paper and see where it goes from there.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Lucien

Writer's block is definitely awful, artist's block must be 10 times worse. You can just start writing random words on paper and begin to make something (stream of consciousness), but that doesn't work with art. For art, it seems as though you have to know what and where everything is and goes.

Of course, I'm only an artist in that I write music. And writer's block for music is REALLY bad. Music writer's block is a wall. To fix it, I listen to my favorite songs and stuff I've never heard before for inspiration.
Starting anew. I am a musician. My past here means nothing.

The Wandering Magus

trying to teach someone how to type and use a laptop at the same time... >:O
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Lucien on 2013 Nov 28, 00:43:37
Writer's block is definitely awful, artist's block must be 10 times worse. You can just start writing random words on paper and begin to make something (stream of consciousness), but that doesn't work with art. For art, it seems as though you have to know what and where everything is and goes.

Of course, I'm only an artist in that I write music. And writer's block for music is REALLY bad. Music writer's block is a wall. To fix it, I listen to my favorite songs and stuff I've never heard before for inspiration.

Indeed. :c
Though, it helps that the contest has some specifics for what the outfit should be like. So, I had to just sit here and think on that over and over:
She's a mage. She's agile and light on her feet. She likes modern, modest clothing.

Then, I started sketching an outfit. I've made a few changes to it as I've drawn it, and I think I've got the basic outfit set.
Now the problem is...
thinking of designs to go on the clothes, so they won't be so plain! >A< Agh, this is soooo much worse! And I won't even think about colors until I hit the digital stage!

The only things easing my mind right now are
1. You can submit up to 5 entries. Yay! Though, this makes me want to make a second outfit, as well, because I don't want all of my entries to be the same outfit with different colors.
2. I can show my friends the different outfits that I make and ask them which ones they like best. ^-^

Night Pony

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Nov 28, 11:28:37

Though, it helps that the contest has some specifics for what the outfit should be like. So, I had to just sit here and think on that over and over:
She's a mage. She's agile and light on her feet. She likes modern, modest clothing.

Then, I started sketching an outfit. I've made a few changes to it as I've drawn it, and I think I've got the basic outfit set.
Now the problem is...
thinking of designs to go on the clothes, so they won't be so plain! >A< Agh, this is soooo much worse! And I won't even think about colors until I hit the digital stage!

1. You can submit up to 5 entries. Yay! Though, this makes me want to make a second outfit, as well, because I don't want all of my entries to be the same outfit with different colors.
2. I can show my friends the different outfits that I make and ask them which ones they like best. ^-^

Be sure to post them here when you're done. :D

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Nov 28, 11:30:24
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Nov 28, 11:28:37

Now the problem is...

Be sure to post them here when you're done. :D

I will. ;) I'll post the ones that I submit.

The Wandering Magus

I'm at a relative's house... so I can't record for Ryo's contest until Sunday night...

then again, that's kinda my fault, since I probably should have done it sooner
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Sea Foam

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 Nov 28, 00:10:05

Oh God, that's funny.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Randam Saiko

Monopoly, ruining family relations everyday.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Midnight Breeze

Can Americans please stop saying the POTUS is the most powerful man in the world? He's not you know; never has been and probably never will be. No matter how powerful the USA as a nation becomes the president as a person is not that powerful. The United States has a system of checks and balances to ensure that one person can never hold too much power. Leaders of other powerful countries aren't nearly as check as the POTUS, sometimes not at all. Off the top of my head I can guarantee you that Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, and Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud all individually hold more power than Barrack Obama.

Randam Saiko

When a show ends with a cliff hanger that gives you more than 1 possible ending.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Jenzy

Ooh, what a lucky page number! :3

Anyway... ya. Cliffhangers. Especially on Season Finales. Unless, you know how the show goes. It's usually a good ending anyway. But, the suspense... It really builds up on that final cliffhanger.

It's freaky! :I

GoldenTerrabyte

When you ask a simple question, and they answer with a link to a Wikipedia page.
I'm back

Little Star

I miss him... So much </3

5 days in total without him.... How do I do this? Ugh. Only getting to see him for about an hour every day just pains me.
Why can't I live in the city instead of the country?   :c

The worst thing is I can't sleep at night while thinking about and missing him. I miss him more than anything.  D:

Go Up