Pathfinder Pony! OOC and Building thread -Closed-

Started by GalvinRoe, 2012 Jun 16, 21:16:10

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 16, 21:16:10 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 06, 04:37:56 by GalvinRoe
The beginning of the GUIDE for Pathfinder Ponies: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2918.0

Sign-up: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2927.0

Pathfinder Pony RP:  http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2929.0

Allright my pony pals, I'm going to place this up because we've touched on this subject before . . . but we haven't dove into it.

Have any of you Ponyfolk ever delt in some serious structured games like Pathfinder, when roleplaying?

I'm wondering if anypony would be interested in doing a Pony Pathfinder campaign with me, won't start for at least another two weeks but we can see who is interested.

Check this site out:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Can't tell you WHAT the scenario would be, just yet as I won't begin work on it till I have more time on my hooves but here you are!

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Rad Thunder

I'm kind of lost in all those choices. Care for a little more explaination? :\

GalvinRoe

Pathfinder is a structured role-play setup for a world. Based on a levling system and a great deal of it is combat . . . but the structure itself is helpful and the magic system is excellent.  We would be having a few scuffles because too much fun to avoid, but pony style! No blood, no gore, no killing.

As for explaining the system  :x! You might need to do a little browsing while I setup a "begginers guide to Pathfinder"  ovO.

Lusterless Nova

I would like to try it. But it looks too complicated to be rp-ed in a forum. How about a test run with 3 or 4 players instead of 8 or more for the first time?
I'm usually very active and recommend myself :P

Rad Thunder

Well, I'll bite. But if it get's too tricky I won't go very far with it. :\

GalvinRoe

I agree, it'll have to be 4-6 players probably but if you guys get into it, oh it'll be a blast I promise.

And can get a little tricky at times Rad but you might like the structure it brings . . . Like I said I'll get to work on the Introductory Guide to pathfinder. Might take a bit though . . . .

The Wandering Magus

only if you don't get too hung up on the rules to actually PLAY the game. and others don't try munchkining their way through.

In fact, if this becomes a munchkin game... I'll bring in the Wanderer.  And it ain't gonna be pretty.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

GalvinRoe

Rules are made to be followed  :l.

HAHAHA  lol! Magus you KNOW I don't get hung up on rules, I hope  ovO! At least that is how I think I've been GMing my other RPs  lol!

I don't know what muchkining is though . . .

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2012 Jun 16, 22:03:26
Rules are made to be followed  :l.

HAHAHA  lol! Magus you KNOW I don't get hung up on rules, I hope  ovO! At least that is how I think I've been GMing my other RPs  lol!

I don't know what muchkining is though . . .
lol i know, just making sure :]  some ponies start getting OCD about rules once there's an actual rule system and all.  Rolling dice, etc etc.

A "munchkin" is, in tabletop RP terms, a min-maxer.  So for instance, a typical munchkin:

Strengths: power +100, agility +99, magic +3000, speed +254
Weaknesses: charisma -33, stature 1, beauty -3024, speech -14

Taking the stats and messing with them to create a "legally overpowered" character.  So for the above, a mute ugly rude midget that can lift mountains and run faster than a bullet.  Totally within game rules, "legally balanced", "doesn't have any more xp than other players", etc etc.
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

GalvinRoe

AH! Gotcha! Well we shall do our best to make the game fun for everypony. I think I'lll be posting up the guide over the first post, just to let everypony know. I'll place something at the bottom saying it's up though.

As for dice, we'll leave THAT off for the first time at least  lol! Might impliment them a little later, I may be doing a little dice throwing on this side so some of the outcomes turn out randomly, not everything is an unhappy ending and not every punch knocks out giants after all  lol!

But the point of an RP is to create something with friends, at least that is how I see it!

Lusterless Nova

If you want to use dices how about http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ ?
You could just copy the text.

GalvinRoe

I'm always down for a little dice rolling, specially since this is a FOURM game which gives everypony LOTS of time to figure out what is going on. But of course it is your guys choice. Want to use dice?

The Wandering Magus

you know, stats and dice never really caught my attention.  too mechanical, not organic enough.  Makes the story seem too... not-real.  not immersive.

When you forum roleplay, it always seems more "real", like the NPCs you're interacting with are actual individuals you could meet on the street.  Not just randomly statted characters.

And when you start statting too many chars, things start getting rediculous.  There was a campaign where a load of munchkins ended up having a one-on-one with the killer GM playing Call of Cthulhu and ended up summoning Hastur, killing Cthulhu, destroying Dagon, and nuking Nyarlathotep if I recall correctly.  All because the GM actually bothered to STAT the gods and there were a bunch of min-maxing rules lawyers.

GalvinRoe

Hahaha! Well we won't be using dice to stat, I'll put up that method later and there is a SEVERE limitation to min-maxing  lol! As for NPCs I would insult myself if they were not original in every aspect. I promise to take care of any concerns as best I can.

The main point of the dice would be for portions where "luck" or "chance" (if you prefer) would play out. Because who knows? You might be throwing your punch and a meteor might be headed straight for ya at that very moment  ovO! (but of course that won't happen, just an exagerated example  lol!)

But whatever the case you can be assured I'll take the same care in crafting my NPCs as I always do. So what do you say Magus? Will you be swayed to play with the dice? ovO

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2012 Jun 16, 22:44:36
Hahaha! Well we won't be using dice to stat, I'll put up that method later and there is a SEVERE limitation to min-maxing  lol! As for NPCs I would insult myself if they were not original in every aspect. I promise to take care of any concerns as best I can.

The main point of the dice would be for portions where "luck" or "chance" (if you prefer) would play out. Because who knows? You might be throwing your punch and a meteor might be headed straight for ya at that very moment  ovO! (but of course that won't happen, just an exagerated example  lol!)

But whatever the case you can be assured I'll take the same care in crafting my NPCs as I always do. So what do you say Magus? Will you be swayed to play with the dice? ovO
with the promise that there will NOT be out-of-character random events, I might be.  and HEAVY moderation.  Paragraph posts a must, one to two line posts should be ignored.  It also must LIVE, not die in three posts.  There must be a storyline, but you must not railroad too much or too little.  Each and every location should be fleshed out, mapped, planned, each NPC planned and statted, down to the random foal you might encounter on the street and the pony standing in line.  Weather must be predictable and logical.  There must be a logical reason for each NPC's presence; an NPC cannot randomly appear in twenty places at once, nor can they randomly appear in another city and "just so happen to be there".  Remember that there IS a Royal Guard force keeping the peace, and they WILL act swiftly.  Death is a no-no, violence of any sort is generally a no-no.  Criminal organizations likely do not exist.  Equestria is ruled by two Goddesses, so OP evil should not exist.  Walls, tiles and cobblestones, any scenery, should have stats as well just in case a player decides to use it.  Realistic injury system, not "I can withstand my HP getting whittled down to 1 and still fight".  Food and rest requirement.  Explicit passage of time.  Figure out how long it takes to walk from the general store to the bank.  An organized economy that actually is reasonable.  Consistent inventories, no "oh it happened to be there i just didn't list it".

I'm listing the things I've seen in the past when others use dice.  I hope you know what you're getting into.

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 16, 23:39:41 #15 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 16, 23:45:18 by GalvinRoe
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2012 Jun 16, 23:06:39
Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2012 Jun 16, 22:44:36

with the promise that there will NOT be out-of-character random events, I might be.  and HEAVY moderation.  Paragraph posts a must, one to two line posts should be ignored.  It also must LIVE, not die in three posts.  There must be a storyline, but you must not railroad too much or too little.  Each and every location should be fleshed out, mapped, planned, each NPC planned and statted, down to the random foal you might encounter on the street and the pony standing in line.  Weather must be predictable and logical.  There must be a logical reason for each NPC's presence; an NPC cannot randomly appear in twenty places at once, nor can they randomly appear in another city and "just so happen to be there".  Remember that there IS a Royal Guard force keeping the peace, and they WILL act swiftly.  Death is a no-no, violence of any sort is generally a no-no.  Criminal organizations likely do not exist.  Equestria is ruled by two Goddesses, so OP evil should not exist.  Walls, tiles and cobblestones, any scenery, should have stats as well just in case a player decides to use it.  Realistic injury system, not "I can withstand my HP getting whittled down to 1 and still fight".  Food and rest requirement.  Explicit passage of time.  Figure out how long it takes to walk from the general store to the bank.  An organized economy that actually is reasonable.  Consistent inventories, no "oh it happened to be there i just didn't list it".

I'm listing the things I've seen in the past when others use dice.  I hope you know what you're getting into.

Oh my friend i can completly understand your pause but some of those things occur! As for MOST of those events, I agree!

I've been a GM for Pathfinder for a couple years now and I (for one) like to have everything in its place but I'm not OCD as  I've said. Weather isn't going to be an issue AT ALL the first go around. We shall need to LEAVE Equestria for our journeying soon enough because there won't be anything consistently challangeing enough there (Goddesses after all) and always with the "inventory" glitch.

I promise a solid story line when we get down to playing, won't have any namby pamby, "oh were doing it because . . . because well we wanted to." I want some actual characters. Fighting system that is a legitamate and "believable" I know we both are kinda obsessed with that (if this needs explanation I'll PM)

NPCs are taken care of . . . Although every NPC is not a logical continuation to the story line. They might be a little unrealistic at times but only at times. NPCs are people too afterall and not everyone deals with knights and mages. I'll need to be doing some serious posting and I HOPE others will too but I cannot play for other characters and in this first go I think it will be a very large practice round. So that might need to be waved  :c.

As for Out-of character random events, you'll have to explain. I intend for everything I do to affect the characters in some way and advance the plot . . .

I DO NOT promise to map out every area in EXTREME detail. ALthough I like to go into details on psychology and terrain, I do NOT promise to show a picture of the area every time or even most the time. I will describe the area as best as I am able and answer your questions to their greatest extent. The reason for this is although maps are nice ofttimes they are a large waste of my time. The players will use the idea a little, A LITTLE but most times it's press ahead or turn left and press ahead! I'll explain the enviorns as much as you need and if you want more tell me and I'll see what there is.

Yes to food and rest, yes to time passage and other restrictions for magic, made apparent as soon as I can finish this bloody guide.

I have almost never found a need for rail-roading. I heard a saying once that a good GM can influence everything into the plot and I plan on doing just that. There WILL be side quests and encounters you can seek out. Unless you start to push off in a completely opposite direction. (starting to enslave foals, for example) I think we should have a fanatastic time. A GM must be as good at improvisation as planning because sometimes (or more then sometimes) the players might want to do something else. I plan on giving as much freedom as possible but you might have to deal with some consequences on those "free" actions of yours  lol

The Wandering Magus

Ah, and just to add, inventory and slotted tools restrictions.  One does not simply lug two thousand pounds of equipment over three hundred miles.  If you are carrying something heavy, you will need to rest more often.  If you are clothed heavily, you will need to drink more water and will run a risk of heat stroke.  You will be taken aside by a royal guard if you carry a weapon in public.  You cannot simply kill animals indiscriminately, there are hunting laws and animal rights activists such as Fluttershy.  You cannot go looting every single box in existence, you will be committing larceny.  You cannot just walk into any home, you will be committing trespassing.  You cannot swallow the key, you would lacerate your esophagus.  You cannot kick down the door, you will break your leg (believe me, I've tried, it is a LOT harder than it looks on film).  You cannot jump through a glass window (yes I tried this too) it will simply hold like a stone wall and you will get bruised.  If it breaks, you will die of lacerations from the shards of VERY sharp glass.  You cannot knock down the wall, you will be arrested for property damage and you will likely cause major injury to yourself if you do not destabilize the building's internal structure.

No, you cannot simply set it on fire by throwing a match, especially not rubber, unless you first douse it in combustive materials such as gasoline.  No, you cannot sue the shop owner unless you already have two hundred thousand bits on hoof for the attorney fees and legal paperwork.  No, yelling in court does NOT win you the case.  No, emotional arguments do NOT win you the case either.  No you cannot simply "learn to drive as I go along", you will crash and likely sustain critical injury.  Yes you WILL contract diseases if you drink that.  Yes, emergency medical services DOES cost money.  Yes, the National Revenue Service WILL visit you if you do not pay your taxes.

Yes there ARE taxes in Equestria.  Yes, you DO need a job in order to pay them.  No, you cannot simply sell your loot, that is committing the crime of selling stolen goods.  No, you do NOT legally own the possessions of the pony you just beat.  No, haggling does NOT work in most modern stores and will get you thrown out.  No you may NOT threaten the store owner with ANYTHING.

so many rules, so little time...

GalvinRoe

Most of these situations apply to games BESIDES dice games too  =P! I could debate some of these but I won't  lol!

I'm just going to say this, the world isn't just physical, it is ALSO magical and in a magical world the rules apply in a slightly different sense.  ovO. We'll stick to the rules as much as we can but if some of the rules start bending the fun levels, well we'll just need to bend, or SNAP those rules  ovO.

I hope you'll still join though  :D! Because I can promise a ball to anypony whos willing to commit themselves to a slightly stricter form of Roleplaying and perhapse a little stricter if we can pull this off.

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: GalvinRoe on 2012 Jun 17, 00:45:57
Most of these situations apply to games BESIDES dice games too  =P! I could debate some of these but I won't  lol!

I'm just going to say this, the world isn't just physical, it is ALSO magical and in a magical world the rules apply in a slightly different sense.  ovO. We'll stick to the rules as much as we can but if some of the rules start bending the fun levels, well we'll just need to bend, or SNAP those rules  ovO.

I hope you'll still join though  :D! Because I can promise a ball to anypony whos willing to commit themselves to a slightly stricter form of Roleplaying and perhapse a little stricter if we can pull this off.
well, hope you won't snap the more reasonable rules :]  And remember that Equestria is like any other nation, needing laws to maintain the peace and comfort of its citizens.

I will probably join, but it will depend on who else decides to join :]  I believe I have a pretty firm grasp on who is and who isn't going to be a reliable poster/player :]

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 17, 17:25:32 #19 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 17, 17:57:46 by GalvinRoe
Well peaches and cream  :x! No-pony else is particularly interested in Pathfinder pony? It is a little of work at the beginning but a worthwhile experience once you get going. Just like any "video game" right? Gotta learn the rules of the game before you get particularly good at it . . 

Difference here is because the game is partially made on the spot (since your characters have a limitless ammount of options before them . . .) the game is really tailored to the individual more  . . .

No more takers huh  :c

Go Up