What are your thoughts on Twilight becoming an Alicorn?

Started by Julius, 2013 Jan 29, 14:06:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dawnstar

Yeah, I found that summary last night and I'm beginning to think the same thing. I will admit changing Twilight into an Alicorn permanently at this point in the series would be a questionable move, but not necessarily a bad one if it and everything following is done right, and I would continue to watch the show regardless because I love watching it.

Spoiler: show
But yeah, after reading that it sounds like the change is only going to be temporary for the course of the episode and sounds like it's more intended to be a "what if?" scenario. Plus the upcoming coronation I don't think will involve Twilight either as I've been seeing a lot of stuff for a new baby Alicorn showing up so something tells me it will likely be more for her instead.

Either way, I'd rather love something for what it is rather than dislike it for what it is not.

Blues-Music

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2013 Jan 30, 11:05:13
Yeah, I found that summary last night and I'm beginning to think the same thing. I will admit changing Twilight into an Alicorn permanently at this point in the series would be a questionable move, but not necessarily a bad one if it and everything following is done right, and I would continue to watch the show regardless because I love watching it.

But yeah, after reading that it sounds like the change is only going to be temporary for the course of the episode and sounds like it's more intended to be a "what if?" scenario. Plus the upcoming coronation I don't think will involve Twilight either as I've been seeing a lot of stuff for a new baby Alicorn showing up so something tells me it will likely be more for her instead.

Either way, I'd rather love something for what it is rather than dislike it for what it is not.
Denial at it's best.
Not trying to offend you , but you can't say "I'm going to watch the show because I liked watching it before it turned bad." The only way the whole thing isn't bad is that if it is temporary. Infact I think I have a theory on what might happen...

Skyla is born , and grows up. She is going to have a cutie mark that is affected by her being an alicorn. Twilight messes up her spell , and changes cutie marks with her turning Twilight into an alicorn. She also changes the rest of her friends cutie marks. She then fixes everything with magic.

Not exactly how it will go , but it is probably something among the lines of this.

Dawnstar

No offense taken, but it's not really denial either. I like the show because it is fun to watch. I have always been like this with everything I do to have fun long before I even knew the show existed. I'd rather put my enjoyment of something over over-thinking a change to the point where it really does change how I see something. To me, Twilight becoming an Alicorn is just a continuation of a long story that I enjoy, rather than a complete change in the story itself.

Heck, a temporary change for Twilight like this actually accomplishes a few things. There's the fact that it's temporary which keeps the fans who wouldn't accept the change happy by changing everything back to normal afterward. Then you have the "what if?" scenario I mentioned earlier giving us a look at how things might be if they were completely different from the MLP universe we have come to know. Lastly, there's the fact that even a temporary transformation gives Hasbro an excuse to make Twilight Alicorn toys, and regardless of how the fanbase feels the toys are the reason the show exists in the first place.

As for your thoughts on what will happen, that is certainly a possibility and I honestly can't wait to find out what really happens.

Blues-Music

I actually would only like it if it is temporary.
I am currently walking on a fandom cliff. The more the writers right I might stay where I am , I might go backwards , or I might go forwards towards the edge. Maintaining the balance of the show keeps me where I am. Safe from danger. Going backwards is a extra safety to make up for future flaws which only happens if the show makes an extremely good episode. Going towards the edge is dangerous. When the show makes a bad change I walk towards it. If I fall. I survive , but I can't get up back on the fandom.

If it was a permanent thing I would run towards the edge , and jump.

Night Pony

Okaaay. Why don't we all calm down,stop looking into this and enjoy the rest of season 3?

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Blues-Music

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Jan 30, 11:52:56
Okaaay. Why don't we all calm down,stop looking into this and enjoy the rest of season 3?
We can't.
This thread is about looking into this.  >:/

Night Pony

True but I doubt it's about posting the same thing over and over.

Dawnstar

Yeah, not sure what else can be said about it. At this point we're all just going to have to wait and see what happens.

Blues-Music

I make my posts because everyone repeats their post. If you haven't noticed 9 out of 10 of my posts were replies.  >:/

Night Pony

Replies that weren't towards you and explaining thoroughly why it's a bad idea and how you will leave the fandom if it's permanent. I do not know about the others but I got it that you do not like alicorns in general, the idea of Twi becoming an alicorn and messing with canon.

colinkochevar

So am I the only one that not only doesn't see why this will be bad, but thinks it's more likely to be good than bad?
They've planned this from AT LEAST as far back as when they were just starting to write this season's episodes, and likely before. Seriously though I think They planned this from as far back as the series premiere. Her name is Twilight, and they just happen to have Luna (moonlight) and Celestia (sunlight) as alicorn princesses???? Like it's some pure coincidence?? What's so bad about making her an alicorn anyway? People got upset with Cadence being an Alicorn but that didn't ruin anything. People got upset about Discord coming back and that turned out to be a pretty good episode, albeit a little rushed. People getting upset before they even see what's gonna happen is stupid. There's no evidence that suggests that this will change the format of the show a whole lot or that it will be bad. I'm hoping this means that the mane 6 will get to do a little more adventuring together starting next season. If you feel some reason to whine about this, this is the place to do it I guess, but quit going around the internet saying everywhere, "ALICORN TWILIGHT!!!!nOOOOO!!!1"

Also,
How can party rock be in the house tonight, if everybody's outside?

Chishio Kunrin

I kind of ended up with a theory different from Blue's, though his was interesting.
I started wondering...
if this will become a "What if?" episode in the sense that the mane six end up with the cutie marks they would've had if Rainbow Dash had never performed the sonic rainboom when she was a filly.

Though, I'm starting to wonder if that's a wrong theory. X3 What made me think of this theory?
Spoiler: Episode summary • show
"Twilight accidentally casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies of all her friends. The only way she can reverse the spell is by writing her own magic."

At first, I thought it meant maybe
literally switching cutie marks with each other. That would be weird.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Blues-Music

Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Jan 30, 12:07:45
Replies that weren't towards you and explaining thoroughly why it's a bad idea and how you will leave the fandom if it's permanent. I do not know about the others but I got it that you do not like alicorns in general, the idea of Twi becoming an alicorn and messing with canon.
I dislike alicorns. So what? I find them incredibly O.P. Considering Twilight is already O.P enough because of her magic. This will ruin the character. Also who wouldn't hate messing with cannon? It's wrong.

Also have you ever heard of "If someone asks the same question give them that same answer"? If people would stop repeating the same boring denial thing I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much.

McSleuthburger

pssttt, guys im sure it wont be permanent because of all the toys / apparel sold with twilight (aka main pony) on it
think of it even just on a business level (becauseit at the end of the day it is all about money)
you cant take your main character and change the anatomy because it wont work long term because then certain items will devalue because of the changes and the hatred - dislike towards the hate or love of the change

im sure if they do make her an alicorn temporarily they will have a quick funny scene with her trying to fly and crashing
but that is besides the point
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

colinkochevar

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2013 Jan 30, 12:26:26
Quote from: Night Pony on 2013 Jan 30, 12:07:45
I dislike alicorns. So what? I find them incredibly O.P. Considering Twilight is already O.P enough because of her magic. This will ruin the character. Also who wouldn't hate messing with cannon? It's wrong.

Also have you ever heard of "If someone asks the same question give them that same answer"? If people would stop repeating the same boring denial thing I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much.

So you arbitrarily just dislike alicorns. You find them "O.P." I'm sorry but this isn't a freaking video game this a magical land of talking ponies. "This will ruin the character." What are you basing that on? "who wouldn't hate messing with canon? It's wrong." It's called character development. It's something that happens in a lot of shows. Doctor Who for instance. If I wanted to watch a show that got old and stale and was the same thing forever I'd watch the Simpsons.

Rad Thunder

Dawnstar

I never really saw Alicorns as overpowerd. Powerful, yes. No question there, but the ones we've seen so far have really only had enough ability to rule over nations. They aren't able to rule the whole world near as we can tell, they aren't unbeatable, they even have things that they're afraid of and, for all their power, they can't overcome.

Also, denial is only accurate if the person in question refuses to acknowledge something even if they know it's true. Some people genuinely think it's a good idea, others genuinely don't care, while others genuinely believe it would be a bad thing. We all have different opinions on it and that's alright, and we really should just wait until whatever happens, happens.

colinkochevar

Well fine I'll just shut my mouth then and not say anything. Whatever.

Julius

Ok guys, chill. This is getting out of hoof and is exactly what I didn't want when creating the post.

Blues, we get that you don't like it and that's fine, but don't go ahead and offend Colin. And I think Colin's doing a pretty good job of not saying anything if there's nothing nice to say.

So let's just drop this and get back to the topic, alright? Don't make me get a mod please... :/
Purr~

Blues-Music

Quote from: Julius on 2013 Jan 30, 13:07:58
Ok guys, chill. This is getting out of hoof and is exactly what I didn't want when creating the post.

Blues, we get that you don't like it and that's fine, but don't go ahead and offend Colin. And I think Colin's doing a pretty good job of not saying anything if there's nothing nice to say.

So let's just drop this and get back to the topic, alright? Don't make me get a mod please... :/
Alright , but one final thing. How was I the one to attack colin?He attacks me , and I defend myself because that wasn't allowed , and got me called a jerk before. It happened too many times , and I couldn't let someone walk free from insulting me again. I didn't like it , and to me it wasn't a big deal. What gets me so hooked up on it is the fact that everyone is going off against me. I have to reiterate my point a billion times because apparently having a different opinion makes me a jerk. I stood up for myself , and I am in no way attacking anyone. Also are you sure you didn't have it the other way around? If he found something nice he decided not to say it. Every post I saw him make was an attack.

Again I won't continue this dumb fight. Don't worry about it. There is no reason to get this thread closed.

Go Up