Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ramisha

Quote from: Chromastone64 on 2014 Oct 19, 07:10:34
So, now that I'm going to college, I'm retaking maths, even though I hate it. (I got grade D, and that was the best I was hoping for)
The course I'm on is called "Functional Maths"; maths I will need to know for the future; no algebra or anything like that.
...so why was it I had to LEARN AND FAIL ALL THAT POINTLESS ALGEBRA CRUD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!

I have a feeling we're learning too much useless things, why can't we learn the essentials and then focus on what we are going to need for our choice of profession!? Honestly I don't think knowing how many mounted soldiers some king had, all the places australopithecs have been found or what an idiophone is is going to improve my life.

Nuserame

There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

- Algebra, geometry, etc. teach you abstract thinking which is something that can most certainly come of use.

- History and social studies help you understand people around you, as well as what happens in the world as a whole.

- Chemistry and physics help you understand why stuff does what it does and some means of predicting what it will do.

- Learning is something you need to practice, your brain will not develop if you don't exercise it in variety of tasks.

- By a low estimate, 99% of you will at some point be doing something completely different then you think you will be doing now.

- General knowledge completes a well rounded individual. It just wont do for an adult in the information age to not know why rain falls or be unable to point out India on a map.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Ramisha

But this what we are being taught is no longer general knowledge - it's something scientists of those fields need to know. And it's useless if we forget it by the next year, anyway... the problem is grades are more important than knowing something.

Nuserame

As someone who has been to university, I can safely say scientist stuff is on whole different scale of difficult than high-school material. High-school is just the kiddie pool version of different fields to prepare and acquaint you for a variety of more specialized studies.

Of course it wont all work perfectly. Some schools do teach utterly useless rubbish (creationism? oh cmon!) while failing to pass on say, basic maths which is used in about every technical field, from accounting to carpentry. Grades do not perfectly reflect how well you spend your time in school, they are there because we don't have a better quantifiable (=can turn it into numbers) measure for it. Its ultimately your own responsibility to come out of school with a good shot at the rest of life, which is a crappy thing to heap on young people but well its all we got.
Slate Grey, my OC! Awesome profile picture by Bakasan94

Ramisha

2014 Oct 19, 12:10:38 #14404 Last Edit: 2014 Oct 19, 14:53:31 by Ramisha
I know it's not a lot, and my mum says it's common knowledge, but I don't think knowing all the Roman emperors, when they ruled, and what is significant about their reign is common knowledge.

Oh well...too bad they have to teach so many things to kids who don't understand them and/or will forget most of them...
Edit: I thought about it, and although it is really hard to learn all that information, it would be nice if that really was considered common knowledge. I'm gonna try contribute to that and go study.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Ramisha on 2014 Oct 19, 12:10:38
I know it's not a lot, and my mum says it's common knowledge, but I don't think knowing all the Roman emperors, when they ruled, and what is significant about their reign is common knowledge.

o.O Okay, that... Yeah, I don't understand that.

I understand learning things like... basically the timeline of history throughout the world, the names of big players who influenced history, why certain things in history happened and how they were resolved, etc.

It's good to have an understanding of how the world came to be the way it is, and it's definitely good to know and understand the mistakes, failures, and successes of the past. For those of us in the US, it's especially good to learn and understand why the founding fathers wrote down a lot of the rights that are given to us by the Constitution, so that we know our rights, know how important they are, and don't someday in the future think they're useless.

Knowing all the Roman emperors and when they ruled is kind of a weird thing to teach.
But learning basically about early civilizations, what happened to Julius Caesar, stuff like that is normal.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Little Star

When people think it's funny/ a joke to make fun of bronies.

Everywhere I always see hate and rudeness to bronies and it really hurts..

Randam Saiko

Quote from: StarSong on 2014 Oct 19, 21:59:59

I do agree that making fun of any group you're not in, in general is just plain rude and disrespectful. But hey, you can't idiots from being one step closer to misfortune right?
Whenever I hear something directed towards me from some stranger, I always think, "I care about your prejudicial opinion why?" Yes, there are times where a I feel like some bodily harm would definitely be pleasurable, but just remember that idiots are idiots.   

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

dr.induction

having a guilty conscious for anything and everything.

GoldenTerrabyte

They ain't the only targets! Now let me tell you about the Terraria fandom(a.k.a. Terrarians)

Generally they're well receieved. But the Minecraft Fandom for SOME reason relentlessly hates Terraria and all it's fans. I hate that. BOTH games are freakin' awesome, why is there such a huge war between them? Because like I said the Minecrfters seem to hate the Terrarians, the Terrarians have no problem with Minecrafters but they frequently hate on Minecraft itself. I hate fandom wars.
I'm back

Peace Keeper

Quote from: Yellowpikmin476 on 2014 Oct 20, 17:42:29

They ain't the only targets! Now let me tell you about the Terraria fandom(a.k.a. Terrarians)

Generally they're well receieved. But the Minecraft Fandom for SOME reason relentlessly hates Terraria and all it's fans. I hate that. BOTH games are freakin' awesome, why is there such a huge war between them? Because like I said the Minecrfters seem to hate the Terrarians, the Terrarians have no problem with Minecrafters but they frequently hate on Minecraft itself. I hate fandom wars.

There's a flame war between Minecraft and Terraria? And to think in the title of Minecraft, the caption reads "Also try Terraria!". I know some hate to see that.

What really drives me so nuts as to really tell every user to shut up, is the PS4/Xbox One fanboys and trolls. Hands down THE absolute worst flame war in my existence, probably worst than the racial superiority flame war in my brother's school years.
Representing the Element of Peace, my name is Peacekeeper, and I am an Evershade Crusader. I am also a proud member of Chat-o-Landia. My talent is preventing conflict and maintaining order.

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: Peace Keeper on 2014 Oct 20, 18:05:21
Spoiler: Quote trees are a dumb thing that annoys me • show
[quote author=Yellowpikmin476 link=topic=2523.msg862724#msg862724 date=1413841349]
[quote author=StarSong link=topic=2523.msg862605#msg862605 date=1413770399]

[/quote][/spoiler]

There's a flame war between Minecraft and Terraria? And to think in the title of Minecraft, the caption reads "Also try Terraria!". I know some hate to see that.
[/quote]And Terraria says "Also try Minecraft!" in the top of the window sometimes if it's the computer version.
I'm back

Chromastone64

When you go shopping, and you just happen to get THAT trolley.
You know which one I mean: the one with the ONE ODD WHEEL THAT KEEPS JAMMING THE WHOLE TROLLY EVERY FIVE SECONDS!!! >:O
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Midnight Breeze

People think I'm weird because I never use drive thrus. Any time I get fast food I park and go inside to order. I don't know, I'm just more comfortable doing that. It makes it easier to make sure you go the right order, or cancel an order if it turns out to cost too much. Plus, well, I just don't like sitting in my car. I use it as little as I can. Heck, I wouldn't even own a car if I lived in a place where public transit was an option. My town has a population of nearly 20,000 but NO public transpiration at all. Owning a car is a bar-none requirement.

If I could sell my car I'd get about 12k and save 900 bucks a year in insurance...

MarshyMellow

Does anyone have that dumb moment when you play a video game, and then you get frustrated because you kept losing? That is a moment I can agree with.  :nod:

Birds don't just fly they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

MrEmu

2014 Oct 20, 22:57:07 #14415 Last Edit: 2014 Oct 21, 04:06:41 by MrEmu
Forgetting you don't have a feather falling IV enchantment...
*splat!*

Spoiler: stuff... • show
I'd love to go on a vacation or something...
It's so stressful here and there's never a brake...I just want to relax but I never can...
I hate life sometimes...and by sometimes I mean all the time.

LostSanity

I'm done. I've had it.

The jerks on the other MLP:FiM forum that can't stop bashing my opinion have crossed the line for the FINAL time as far as I'm concerned.

I quit that place for good.

>:O

So I joined the everypony.com forums instead.

:s
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Midnight Breeze

Elphyda

Single core processor on my computer... and it's acting like it's running Windows 3.1 and trying to run World of Warcraft on the highest settings.

The entire computer - Desktop background and the taskbar included - completely froze for the twenty-third time today.  Yes, I counted.

...I need to build a new computer.  I'm so tired of this one.

Randam Saiko

At Work: Thinking about going home and sleeping.

Sleeping: Dreaming that you're working.

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

Go Up