Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Itty Bit on 2015 May 20, 13:14:16
School in general is no fun.

Yes, I would love to go to college and get a nice job, but what's the point if I'm going to be in debt forever for paying for the classes I wanna take? What if I finish, and then realize it's not what I wanna do? What if I finish, and then can't find a job because of how hard people are making it out to be to find good jobs nowadays, and I'll still be working those minimum wage jobs, but now with a giant debt hanging above my head?

And also, thank you high school for giving me the mindset of "You have to do college immediately after high school, and if you don't know what you wanna do by the end of high school, you will fail in life." That certainly helps me feel more confident in myself. Especially 4 years later.

Even worse, college in most other countries costs much, much, MUCH less than it does in the USA. If you tell someone from Europe how much college tuition alone costs here, they'll be absolutely shocked!

So many older people here in the US are like "I had a part time job while I was in college, and I was just fine."
Yeah, well, the price of college has skyrocketed to, like... 4 to 5 times what it was in the 80s.
We're not complaining about a 5%, 10%, or 20% increase. We're complaining about a 400-500% or more increase. It's just not worth it anymore. I don't even understand why college has gotten so expensive!

And some people are putting down the people who want to dramatically lower those costs! Some people are putting down the people who want situations where college can be free! Free college works! There are countries that have free college! Why don't we?!

Oh, right, because America has this stupid mentality of "If you can't take care of it yourself and pay for things yourself, you're just a worthless, stupid, lazy bum who doesn't deserve help." Education shouldn't be limited to those who are much better off and more fortunate than everyone else.

And things like food and shelter should be guaranteed to everyone, by the way. Some people are homeless by no fault of their own, and some people have very little food by no fault of their own. Don't punish them just because you think every single person who's going to be on benefits is just a lazy bum abusing the system. And for goodness' sake, get rid of the absolutely idiotic stigma that disability = laziness! We, as a country, have some of the stupidest mentalities, considering that said mentalities cause people to suffer.

Anyone remember my post about the spikes that some cities install to keep homeless people from sleeping in certain places? People would rather pay a bunch of money to install spikes on the ground than to build a shelter and fund a program that helps these people get on their feet. They would rather put the problem out of sight, than actually make an effort to solve the problem. Homelessness has a negative stigma attached to it that you're just the scum of society, and you're homeless by your own fault.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Itty Bit on 2015 May 20, 13:14:16
School in general is no fun.

Yes, I would love to go to college and get a nice job, but what's the point if I'm going to be in debt forever for paying for the classes I wanna take? What if I finish, and then realize it's not what I wanna do? What if I finish, and then can't find a job because of how hard people are making it out to be to find good jobs nowadays, and I'll still be working those minimum wage jobs, but now with a giant debt hanging above my head?

And also, thank you high school for giving me the mindset of "You have to do college immediately after high school, and if you don't know what you wanna do by the end of high school, you will fail in life." That certainly helps me feel more confident in myself. Especially 4 years later.

If you have a pulse you can get a job with the USPS that pays middle-class wages right out of the gate with no debt required. You have to put up with a lot of bureaucracy and incompetence, though. The only reason such a menial job has relatively high pay is because if it paid any lower nobody in their right mind would do it. But what can I say, I'm a working-classman. Putting up incompetent management and unrealistic expectations is what I get paid to do.

Bad thing is manual labor is getting mechanized at an alarming rate. I'm planning to stay where I am for a decade or so and see if higher-education prices drop. Maybe then I could get training for a tech job with the same employer. It's not something I really want to do, I'm a worker, labor is my life calling. But when a robot can do my job better than me for free I don't have much of a choice but to find another calling. It's so scary having an uncertain future.

Sweet Brew

I just dropped out, easiest way to solve school.
Not the best way though, probably the worst! lol

PrincessButton

2015 May 21, 17:08:24 #16183 Last Edit: 2015 May 21, 17:10:43 by PrincessButton
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 20, 14:23:03
Even worse, college in most other countries costs much, much, MUCH less than it does in the USA. If you tell someone from Europe how much college tuition alone costs here, they'll be absolutely shocked!

So many older people here in the US are like "I had a part time job while I was in college, and I was just fine."
Yeah, well, the price of college has skyrocketed to, like... 4 to 5 times what it was in the 80s.
We're not complaining about a 5%, 10%, or 20% increase. We're complaining about a 400-500% or more increase. It's just not worth it anymore. I don't even understand why college has gotten so expensive!

And some people are putting down the people who want to dramatically lower those costs! Some people are putting down the people who want situations where college can be free! Free college works! There are countries that have free college! Why don't we?!

Oh, right, because America has this stupid mentality of "If you can't take care of it yourself and pay for things yourself, you're just a worthless, stupid, lazy bum who doesn't deserve help." Education shouldn't be limited to those who are much better off and more fortunate than everyone else.

And things like food and shelter should be guaranteed to everyone, by the way. Some people are homeless by no fault of their own, and some people have very little food by no fault of their own. Don't punish them just because you think every single person who's going to be on benefits is just a lazy bum abusing the system. And for goodness' sake, get rid of the absolutely idiotic stigma that disability = laziness! We, as a country, have some of the stupidest mentalities, considering that said mentalities cause people to suffer.

Anyone remember my post about the spikes that some cities install to keep homeless people from sleeping in certain places? People would rather pay a bunch of money to install spikes on the ground than to build a shelter and fund a program that helps these people get on their feet. They would rather put the problem out of sight, than actually make an effort to solve the problem. Homelessness has a negative stigma attached to it that you're just the scum of society, and you're homeless by your own fault.
I completely agree with all of this, Chishio. Also, don't get me started on those spikes and the way that this country treats its homeless people. Luckily there are kind people like Miley Cyrus out there who just started her own  movement to save the homeless youth.
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Chishio Kunrin

We just found out that we can't run the microwave and toaster at the same time, or it'll flip a breaker, which takes out the toaster, microwave, and fridge. :\
Ah, the quirks of an old house... *Sigh*

Sweet Brew

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 21, 20:24:36
We just found out that we can't run the microwave and toaster at the same time, or it'll flip a breaker, which takes out the toaster, microwave, and fridge. :\
Ah, the quirks of an old house... *Sigh*
We can have basically everything on at once...
Our house is also so darn small...it's literally 7 rooms including the kitchen and bathroom, and only 4 doors. lol
Oh wait, there is a basement, but it's basically a concrete square.

Greyscaleisme

Long story short, I didn't get the job at the sawmill. The people already had enough employees. But the lady hiring said if someone quits, I can start. Now I just have to go through the newspapers for jobs. Joy...
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Midnight Breeze

2015 May 21, 20:40:42 #16187 Last Edit: 2015 May 21, 20:45:18 by Midnight Breeze
Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2015 May 21, 20:30:16
Our house is also so darn small...it's literally 7 rooms including the kitchen and bathroom, and only 4 doors. lol

That's small?! My mom and stepdad's house is a 3 bedroom doublewide and it's 6 rooms. Me, I prefer to live in a nice tight space. 3 rooms is plenty. Come December I'm wanting to move into a nicer but smaller apartment. I'd certainly love to have a garage but I'm not sure it's worth shelling about 1000 a month in rent for it.

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2015 May 21, 20:34:48
Long story short, I didn't get the job at the sawmill. The people already had enough employees. But the lady hiring said if someone quits, I can start. Now I just have to go through the newspapers for jobs. Joy...

A 15 year old girl working in manual labor? Is that even legal?

Greyscaleisme

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 May 21, 20:40:42
A 15 year old girl working in manual labor? Is that even legal?

It is, in my state. Besides, its part time work anyway.
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2015 May 21, 20:30:16

It kinda messed up due to the house's age. Our toilets are from the 1950s. :s Our oven and stove? At least the 70s, possibly even earlier, which explains why they're dying on us.

Our house is a fairly nice middle class home.
We technically have 6 rooms, not including the hall closet which we use as our pantry.
The kitchen is really big, since it's supposed to be used as a kitchen dining room combo room. Our living room is fairly sizeable, though we have a large dining table we rarely use at one end of it. Right across the hall from the pantry is a spare bedroom, which we're using for storage. At the end of the hall, we have a bathroom. If you turn right, there's my bedroom, and if you turn left, there's my parents' bedroom, which is the master bedroom, and it has its own little bathroom with a shower in it.

English/European people: For us, the bathroom is where we have the toilet, sink, and bathtub/shower. We put all that together in one room because efficiency.

Annoying: We have to babysit my grandma's dogs and cat until next Saturday. So... they're here for, like, a week.
So, right now, we have literally 8 animals running around the house - our four cats, and my grandma's three dogs and one cat. Ugh.

GoldenTerrabyte

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 May 22, 00:54:32
English/European people: For us, the bathroom is where we have the toilet, sink, and bathtub/shower. We put all that together in one room because efficiency.
Is it not that way in all countries? Because that's how it is for me and I'm in America. I thought having all those in one room was standard.
I'm back

Chromastone64

Quote from: GoldenTerrabyte on 2015 May 22, 01:05:49
Is it not that way in all countries? Because that's how it is for me and I'm in America. I thought having all those in one room was standard.

We have that over here! Unless it's a resturant or something, all the houses I've ever been to have had all of it in one room.

A bit similer to that, I hate the fact that we British are ALWAYS associated with fish and chips. Chips I'll take, but I'm not a huge fan of fish, and I don't really see many "chip shops" around.
Oh, and I can't take two steps on Facebook without seeing someone blow up about the election we just had. But then again, the people who won ARE now trying to legalize fox hunting again...politic psychos...
A self-proclaimed "jack-of-all-media-types". I tend to say "freaking" a lot.<br />My OCs: http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=13316.0

Chishio Kunrin

2015 May 22, 02:43:03 #16192 Last Edit: 2015 May 22, 02:47:31 by Chishio Kunrin
Quote from: GoldenTerrabyte on 2015 May 22, 01:05:49

I heard that some places have a room for the bathtub/shower and a room for the toilet. o_o

So, the entire week that my grandma's dogs and cat are here is going to be pretty much us yelling at animals for growling at each other. :/

My cat Callie is really angry about my grandma's cat Sylvester being here, so she's taking it out on all the cats in the house by growling and hissing at them. When she's being angry at someone, if I try to intervene by moving her (because she'll root herself to the spot, glaring and growling), she growls and hisses at me. She hasn't tried to hurt me, but it's still uncomfortable to have a growling hissing cat in my hands.

My mom's cat Abby hates dogs and doesn't really like strange cats who come too close to her. She has already smacked both of the chihuahuas for coming too close, and they just got here today!

Sylvester is kind of afraid from being in a new environment with new people without his owner, so he's been hiding. He tried to make friends with my mom's cat Junior, but Junior hissed at him so he hid. But then he came back out and jumped on Junior's back, which started some trouble.

This is all a mess, I swear. This is hopefully the very last time we'll be babysitting them.

Post Merge

Apparently, Microsoft is never, ever going to email me the code to verify my identity on my laptop.
Oh well. At least not being verified hasn't caused any problems so far.

Seriously, Windows 8 is dead stupid.

Elphyda

When you keep forgetting to take your medication.

Night Pony

My friends have different rooms for the toilet and shower but in my house they are in one room. So it's different for each person.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Sweet Brew

Well, we do have 4 people living here.
But I am thankful, right before I was a brony I lived in the attic of someone elses house with my two brothers and my Dad, thankfully we got a house of our own, though I'm living with my Mom now.
AND I'm very thankful for the place even though I just said it's small.

I'd say I'm thankful for it, but I'm supposed to be complaining in this thread, lol. JK

Sakura_Blossom

Chishio Kunrin

Why do the people across the street have to have work done right now, while we have my grandma's dogs?!!! >:(
These dogs flip out at the sound of a car door closing or anything that sounds similar to a car door closing or someone knocking! And the people across the street have people who keep closing car doors over and over and loudly putting things in a pickup truck!!! >:O

This is one of the things I hate about babysitting these dogs! They start barking as loudly as they can when they hear knocking or a car door shut or something that sounds similar because they think "Intruder, intruder!" or "Is that mom?!!! Do we get to go home yet?!!!"

As soon as they do go home, I'm filled with a feeling of "YES! I can make loud knocking noises as much as I want, and no one will YELL ABOUT IT!!! *Knocks on table, knocks on wall, knocks on door* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ovO"

They also bark when someone rings the door bell, and unfortunately, they're smart enough to know that doorbell means someone is at the door, rather than barking at the box in the hallway that plays the sound. I knew someone whose chihuahua ran to the hall to bark at the speaker box, which got him out of the way when someone was at the door. Also, it took a while for these dogs to finally learn to tell the difference between someone ringing a door bell on the TV and someone ringing the door bell in real life.

Midnight Breeze

I hate big pickup trucks. In my part of the country it seems like 60+ percent of the population drives them and it drives me nuts. Using a huge pickup truck for general commute makes zero sense. Compare to cars; especially compacts and pony cars, they're expensive and guzzle gas like nobodies business. Why on Earth would you want to drive one unless you need it for work or hauling? I can only assume it's because they're your stereotypical bros and wannabe tough guys, feeling the need to show what a big strong man they are with their jacked up trucks.

My general experience with big jacked up 4x4 trucks is that they tailgate, right-lane the heck out of you at red lights, take up two parking spaces for no good reason, swerve between lanes without signaling, and would sooner run you off the road slow down or go around. I've been driving for 10 years, just a general observation based on my experiences, which may have more to do with where I live. Arklatex drivers in general are abysmal, but somehow the big pickups manage to stand out to me.

Aria BIaze

It annoys me when people say they have OCD or ADHD like they're cute little quirks you can just have if you like being neat or don't like paying attention in school>:/
There are people who actually have been diagnosed with the disease and it has a huge impact on their lives.

Go Up