Aurora Flare, here to serve! (Nidking's OC)

Started by Nidking, 2012 Oct 02, 18:47:32

previous topic - next topic

Please rate Aurora and give tips on how to help me improve!

A great, well thought-out character!
4 (80%)
A decent character with potential improvements!
1 (20%)
About average.
0 (0%)
'Tis not great...
0 (0%)
What is this rubbish!?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

Nidking

"Behold, ponies, a God among mere mortals! This pony's hoofsteps echo around the cosmos! The very ground this pony walks becomes sacred! Nopony, not one single pony does not know this pony's name!"

"Aurora Flare?"

"Wait, what!? No, Celestia!"

"But I wanted Aurora's bio! Everypony knows Celestia!"

"A...are you serious? You want to know about the silly pegasus colt who runs around here pretending he's a hero or something? Have you got nothing better to do? Ahhh...fine. Give me a moment..."

~Aurora Flare~
~Age: 15~

~Gender: Male~

~Species: Pegasus~

~Fur Colour: Light blue~

~Mane Colour: Cyan~

~Eye Colour: Lilac~

~Cutie Mark: White wing covered in aurorae~

~Clothing:
          Distinct dark blue goggles w/ dark red strap and black fastenings;
          Red/black leather boots w/ dark blue padding & tongue, black straps, grey soles and dark red fastenings;
          Black saddlebags with a simple strap;
          Occasionally seen wearing dark red headphones with a dark blue and black wave motif.~

~Special Talent: The dury's out as to what his Cutie Mark actually represents. Some argue the wing is important, and symbolises his rather impressive combat prowess. Others argue that the aurorae are important, and represents his rather unusual, glowing flight trail- his special talent being a form of art. The general consensus is that it's both and he's some kind of "dance fighter" who wows the audience with equal parts martial arts and a light show from his flight trail. Either way, in a world where peace is the dominant factor, his special talent is absolutely useless. Well... unless he goes into performing, maybe.~

~Occupation: Hero. No, we aren't kidding you, this is honestly what he says from his own mouth. Yes, it's ridiculous. It's also kinda cute. Just... just leave him be. He's a nice colt at heart, if a little silly.~

~Personality: Aurora is what you get when you combine a pony with a high-power battery: he's loud, excitable and an extremely quick talker. On a bad day, it's hard to make out what he's trying to say, and he can be quite the headache-inducer. On a good day, he talks at an about average speed, but he's still got limitless enthusiasm and can be quite a handful. Getting a word in edgeways often feels like a tiring and difficult quest, especially when he's set his heart on a topic. The benefits do outweigh the negatives often, however. He is absurdly friendly to all. The lesson "don't talk to strangers" must've got lost in the post because he is a social butterfly that cannot be contained by any boundaries. This is an interesting case where "highly sociable" doesn't walk hand in hand with "absurd arrogance". More on that in a moment.

Despite what he would have you try to believe, he is in no way a brave pony. Well, it all depends on your interpretation, but he is easily frightened and often runs away from escalating situations (of which he is mostly responsible for instigating). He is also massively intimidated by older ponies and, as several can attest, ponies of the opposite sex also frighten him. Mares with a somewhat headstrong personality have been known to scare him back indoors with just a greeting, much to the confusion of the town. However, he is known to be a colt who regularly leaves town on some wild adventure, and it's no rumour that he's gone foaling around in the Everfree, of all places! He goes on dangerous journeys which other ponies would possibly shy away from, leaving him in a weird contradiction in personality. So, is he a brave young colt with an adventurous streak, or is he a coward who can be scared indoors by an old stallion or particularly dominant mare?

For somepony who's supposed to be a brash, hot-headed heroic figure, Aurora seems to be lacking all of these traits. He's actually quite a sensible, smart young pony who does not act before he's assessed the situation...mostly. There are always anomalies with ponies that young. With that said, it's possibly quite necessary that he be sensible and cautious... he is a fragile pony and reckless behaviour would have him end up in a hospital bed...
...well, more often than he usually is, anyway...
...In general, he's a thoughtful young pony who is explicitly not prone to reckless and stupid behaviour, so long as good friends aren't involved/in danger.

In terms of mannerisms, for a youngster he is surprisingly well-mannered and courteous towards everypony he meets. In fact, one might say he goes a little overboard... his mannerisms are quite antiquated, preferring the bow to the hoofshake, kissing a mare's hoof (when he isn't running away), et cetera. This might be to add some spice to his hero profile... every mare out there would love a handsome medieval stallion. Trouble is, he doesn't really fit the "handsome" or "stallion" side of things. He doesn't really even fit the "medieval" side of things, because historians aren't actually certain he's following proper ancient behaviour... so yeah, pony in a dream world. This does not detract from the fact that he is, on the whole, refreshingly polite, respectful, and courteous.

Also refreshing is the fact he is in no way arrogant. Sadly, he's actually also on the very destructive opposite end. His self esteem needs a little improving. By little, we mean his self esteem is to others what a single-cell battery is to a nuclear power plant, so it is under no circumstances easy to improve. He always thinks he's failing somepony, be it his family, or his friends, or just anypony in particular. What's even worse is that he'll try as hard as he can to bottle up this hurt, until he can't take any more and completely shuts down. This is a dangerous side to his personality and the side his friends are most concerned about. He needs some serious ego stroking because this pony could seriously self-destruct if this goes on. No, we are not still using the nuclear power comparison, stop thinking in metaphors!

Make of young Aurora what you will. He's quite..odd.~

~Backstory: Aurora was born in an average pegasus home. He had a loving father, Starbreaker, and a kind mother, Crystal Lily- both of whom were pegasi. He also had two adoptive brothers, Comet Screw and Marble Heart. Of the two, Aurora only managed to become friendly with Marble- Comet was lost at sea when Aurora was young and has mysteriously never returned since the event. Most ponies hint to him making a new life elsewhere, either out of choice or through becoming lost and giving up. Aurora was told stories about Comet and longs to see him  once again, though he has absolutely nothing to identify him with.

Life went well for Aurora throughout his early school years. He made friends, avoided the local bullies, the usual business a colt must go through. In the years leading up to the present day, he started training in several martial arts and also found himself a new hobby- dancing! In time, he would go on to fuse the two, successfully bringing about his Cutie Mark while also confusing what his special talent actually was... did he get it for the combat? Did he get it for the dancing? Was it both? It was also at this point that his self esteem began to plummet, interestingly. Several friends started leaving school soon after this event; his innocent mind attributed the absences to the earning of his Mark. With those completely distinct events combined through chance, his mind joined false dots and came to the conclusion he was responsible. A small, almost instantaneous event in his life started a spiralling motion into a pit for his strength of character. His young age and inexperience is most likely what caused this.

Time carried ever onwards and he had finally learned how to fly, starting off slowly and gradually increasing in skill, though he was never exactly graceful. Being the inventive young pony he was, as soon as he learned to fly he adapted the flying into his dance combat routines. It was about this time he discovered that his mane produces a very strange flight trail... for one thing, it glows. His parents knew this and named him after the aurora glow that he produces, though it was only at this time that he actually realised he had it, another drawback to never sitting still and appreciating things. He finally started showing off his exceptional dance battler routines to crowds, though it would not be until much later... almost present day, in fact, that he would show his combat routine mid-flight. This can be attributed to him receiving stage fright from a failed show on a cold winter's evening later that year.

He developed his attachment to heroism sometime after the passing of his mother. His father became increasingly distant as time went on, but Aurora had become self-sufficient long before. He started having urges to help other ponies, and from there his desire to be an adventurer and hero developed. He donned his trademark red boots and goggles early on in his "career", becoming easily identifiable through them. It was not until later that he started using sensible adventuring gear like saddlebags to contain items he needs for the journey, and later still that he developed a love for wearing headphones... or possibly earmuffs. We can't really tell. Either way, he had become very noticeable, deciding on a predominantly red and black colour scheme for his outfit in order to contrast with his bright blue colour scheme.

He never truly separated from his father, as Starbreaker eventually stopped isolating himself from the world and became increasingly dependant on both Aurora and Marble. They were what he had left, his legacy, and as time went on he became very protective and doting. Marble, being very much a stay-at-home pony, loved his father's new-found protectiveness, but Aurora found it smothering and unbearable. Their relations are in no way soured... but Aurora rarely comes home any more, having become too attracted to the outside world. When Aurora does come back, he showers his father with attention to make up for the time alone. Aurora tends to be a night pony, loving the darkness and danger. A dark sky also helps his glowing flight trail stand out.~

~Pictures: None as of yet! Come back later!~
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=5017.0]Come say hi to Aurora Flare, a silly young pegasus![/url]

Gracie Sky

This is one of the rare occasions that wearing excessive clothes is justified. He's a self-proclaimed super hero.

His personality kind of contradicts itself in some places, namely I can't tell if he's introverted or extroverted. He shows signs of both, which indicates signs of being bipolar. I mean... he's a chatterbox, but only to younger colts? He pretends that he's a "hero", but is known to lack self-esteem? He flees from mares, but not before kissing their hoof?

I do enjoy the narrative style you presented the character's profile in. It has a lot (almost too much) material to read and adding narrative opinion is a nice break from the usual profiles that I read.

If he's as talkative as you say, he and Pinkie Pie may very well take over Equestria someday.  ovO
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Nidking

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Oct 05, 00:04:15
This is one of the rare occasions that wearing excessive clothes is justified. He's a self-proclaimed super hero.

Haha, he's got to look stylish and have a signature appearance to him! ^^

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Oct 05, 00:04:15His personality kind of contradicts itself in some places, namely I can't tell if he's introverted or extroverted. He shows signs of both, which indicates signs of being bipolar. I mean... he's a chatterbox, but only to younger colts? He pretends that he's a "hero", but is known to lack self-esteem? He flees from mares, but not before kissing their hoof?

His personality is absurdly complex and I've alluded to that within the bio itself.

His ordinary day-to-day personality is generally calm, but still on the overly talkative side of things compared to ordinary ponies. This is where his antiquated mannerisms present themselves, he carries himself with a bit of charm and acts relatively normal. He will greet anypony, older colts and mares included, without running away, but if they become loud, overpowering or just plain intimidating, he'll generally become frightened of them. I hope that's cleared up the confusion on his coward side. He'll kiss the mare's hoof whenever it seems an appropriate greeting, whereas his coward side kicks in only if certain triggers are met.

He really, really goes into overdrive when talking about adventure, heroism, or some of the things that truly interest him manifest in the conversation. It's at that point he goes firmly into chatterbox territory, and shutting him up becomes quite the task. Again, this personality trait isn't always there, a trigger sets it off. Once it is activated, though, it doesn't matter what age the other pony is, they aren't safe from his motor mouth!

His self-esteem is indeed terribly lacking at all times, and there are subtle hints to this whenever I roleplay as him. In his usually cheerful conversations there's always some hint of melancholy. It manifests itself whenever ponies shout at him, upset him or become angry with him. He feels it was his fault whether he was responsible or not and naturally this side of his personality can complicate things if it really presents itself. His lack of self-esteem can legitimately be used as a horrible weapon against him; you can utterly destroy him emotionally if you target it (and are mean enough to do so, because that's a terrible way to hurt somepony).

He can, however, lack self-esteem and still perform heroics- he's one of the occasions where the two traits actually compliment each other. He's a massive defeatist, but you wouldn't know that from the effort he puts into rescuing ponies and adventure. He's genuinely very talented and when things get serious, he will work himself up and out of the pit in order to succeed, even if he thinks he's going to fail the whole time. After a dangerous event has passed, the stress from these two conflicting personalities can cause him to blow out for a while, but he'll generally be okay afterwards. In a nutshell: Lack of self esteem -> Believes he'll fail -> Tries as hard as possible -> Generally succeeds, sometimes overdoes it -> Self esteem slowly builds!

Or he actually does fail and then, depending on the importance of the event, things can turn very, very bad.

I do hope that's explained it all, but please feel free to ask more :3

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Oct 05, 00:04:15I do enjoy the narrative style you presented the character's profile in. It has a lot (almost too much) material to read and adding narrative opinion is a nice break from the usual profiles that I read.

I like to spice things up a bit, though I avoided employing a narrative bias. Otherwise Aurora's real personality would be affected by the bias, and these bio's really need to be as accurate as possible.

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2012 Oct 05, 00:04:15If he's as talkative as you say, he and Pinkie Pie may very well take over Equestria someday.  ovO

Yeah, when he gets his chatterbox on he can be more than a hoof-full.

I'm also sorry about the lack of a picture, my drawing is taking a very long time to finish ^^;
http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=5017.0]Come say hi to Aurora Flare, a silly young pegasus![/url]

Little Star

grrrrrrr my second OC's name is Aurora....

Nidking

Quote from: StarSong on 2012 Oct 05, 08:14:36
grrrrrrr my second OC's name is Aurora....

I'm sorry for the coincidence, but I have no intention of changing his name.

Gracie Sky

I'm sure half the forum has an OC named Aurora. Even I have one with that word in its name.

I must admit I really enjoy your vast choice of words and your line of logic. Your character also has enough spunk to stand out in the myriad of pony OCs without being overpowered. I do appreciate the complexity as well, although I hope there's room for development on him.

The only thing I ever thought disagreeable on him was his fighting talent. However, you've deteriorated that by a large margin by coupling it up with dancing and having already acknowledged the fact that combat in Equestria is heavily sedated. I trust you know what you're doing in regards to that.

I hope you have more OCs, I look forward to seeing your works, although my expectations from you will be high(er).
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Nidking

Well, thank you very much for coming by to comment on him, I'm glad that my OC is of a decent enough standard to attract attention!

There will always be room for Aurora to grow and evolve, part of his bio's development phase was to highlight points with which his character could potentially change and adapt. I have a lot of things planned for Aurora, each one could potentially take his entire character down a different path, but I'd like it to seem like a realistic change. It's for that reason I slow down and let the stories do the talking- He'll develop from experiences, not from me scribbling parts into his bio :3 Suffice to say, he won't be a static character :3

His status as a dance battler allows him to be very flexible, which is one of the reasons I chose it (though at the time I just liked the idea of a character turning dance moves into a martial art, so I wasn't really thinking practically.) The two talents combined help him in a lot of situations. For light-hearted settings he could easily fit in as just an exotic dancer wowing crowds with a bit of silliness on the side. For fantasy adventures and other, slightly more serious works, his combat side performs a practical function while having the uniqueness brought about from the dance side of things. You will never see him in truly dark works because I don't ever take part in them, and only ever watch them in moderation. Not really my thing. Overall, I'm not sure his talent will serve much use anyway, rarely do I enter a roleplay that actively makes use of Cutie Marks or the talents associated with them.

I did have one other OC, but she would not be suitable, and I'd never be able to adapt her into a roleplay-worthy setting. She's a little too unique.

Thank you for showing interest in Aurora ^^

Lord of Madness

Nidking

Wow, I even got attention from LoM ^^ Thank you sir for coming to see my OC!  Oh, and thank you for the votes everypony :3 Three so far, all on the positive end, I must be doing something right :3

*still* no picture. It's taking me forever to get that art done... Sorry everypony, I'm trying my best to get it done.

Go Up