Where do I start on making games?

Started by dynamite, 2014 Jan 04, 06:43:12

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

dynamite

So I have zero knowledge in making games. I took a CS course once before but I don't remember a thing about it at all. :O

I have fiddled with RPG Maker for a long time but I want to try a slightly more professional way of developing games. I'm aware that I will be faced with lots of failures but if I can simply make something where you move a pony from one side of a screen to the other side that can be something.

Anyone know where I should start? A program or something to fiddle around with?

Midnight Breeze

You have to learn a coding programming language like C++.

CidThePony

You should start with C, it's the best language for starters and if you really want to develop a game learn C++ after C.

Prismatic

Before jumping into any programming I would learn the basics of loops, conditionals and sequentials.  Once you get that down all that matters are the different syntax of the languages.

Besides RPG Maker I do believe programs exist for different styles of games (I used to use one for platformers but that was many years ago) if the end product isn't an RPG.

dynamite

Does graphical designing have relevance to programming? I might want to try a hand on graphical designing as well.

CidThePony

Yes it does, you need the sprites and backgrounds for the game after all, and Prismatic is right before you start programming you need to develop the logic otherwise you won't know how to do it, and if you ask me the easiest way is using flowcharts.

dynamite

I am a little more interested in making animations more than a simple game now. Is there a free software or do I have to buy something like Photoshop CS?

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Jan 06, 22:07:15
I am a little more interested in making animations more than a simple game now.

>.>

Making a whole game is more complex than animating.

There is a ton of software available for animating just like anything else. You just need to search for it.

Go Up