Post-Season 4 discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2013 Aug 20, 16:31:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Apr 30, 23:49:36
I'm still not entirely sure why this season keeps hyping the "Equestria Games" more so than the search for the "six keys".

I guess it's kinda like the time when season one kept hyping up the Grand Galloping Gala, but they had an excuse since there wasn't a real "goal" otherwise. (They defeated Nightmare Moon and there weren't any major threats at the time)

I know it's an annoying knit-pick by now, and I know we've gotten the blatantly obvious key episodes already, but I can't help but be bothered by it. :c

It's probably too much to hope for, but what if the Equestria Games episode has something in it that kind of leads up to the finale?

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Dawnstar

It is the last episode before the finale so I guess that is a possibility, however,  I honestly doubt it. I've been purposely avoiding spoilers to avoid ruining the episodes so I can't really speculate much though.

My personal opinion is that it's hyped so much because it was referred to in two episodes during season three and was made out to be this really big event for Equestria on a similar scale to the Summer Sun Festival and I think the fandom kind of took it from there. Especially after an episode was promised to have the Games in it. So Hasbro's effectively just building off the hype that already existed which, likely unintentionally, resulted in the overshadowing of the key arc.

alaina1229

When is the season finale of season 4? X3

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: alaina1229 on 2014 May 01, 18:43:54
When is the season finale of season 4? X3

May 10th. The Saturday after next.

Mizuki

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2014 May 01, 10:49:46
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Apr 30, 23:49:36
I'm still not entirely sure why this season keeps hyping the "Equestria Games" more so than the search for the "six keys".

I guess it's kinda like the time when season one kept hyping up the Grand Galloping Gala, but they had an excuse since there wasn't a real "goal" otherwise. (They defeated Nightmare Moon and there weren't any major threats at the time)

I know it's an annoying knit-pick by now, and I know we've gotten the blatantly obvious key episodes already, but I can't help but be bothered by it. :c

It's probably too much to hope for, but what if the Equestria Games episode has something in it that kind of leads up to the finale?

I sure do hope that's the case! *-*

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Dawnstar

I am calling it now that somepony will say the classic "let the games begin" line. If such a classic, cliche line isn't said I will be extremely surprised.

AaronMk

I'mma say it now, and say it early:

Spoiler: show
Pony Satan did nothing wrong.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Zhai

2014 May 03, 21:20:13 #447 Last Edit: 2014 May 03, 21:22:50 by Zhai
i liked this episode, but
i totally didnt expected to be an spike episode haha. it would be cool to have two equestria games episodes, this one and another focused on the games.

if not, why so so much focus on the games all this season if after all its just like this episode lol

and now ONE WEEK TILL SEASON FINALE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :D
Tropico, Tomato Max and Carrot

AaronMk

Quote from: Zhai on 2014 May 03, 21:20:13
i totally didnt expected to be an spike episode haha. it would be cool to have two equestria games episodes, this one and another focused on the games.

if not, why so so much focus on the games all this season if after all its just like this episode lol

They wrote themselves into this situation last season. It was bound to happen, and I imagine it's them saying, "Alright, it's coming."

Though what awaits now is if it'll be worth the hype if they tie it into the final.

Dawnstar

2014 May 03, 22:41:47 #449 Last Edit: 2014 May 03, 22:43:35 by Dawnstar

Honestly, I don't think this episode came anywhere close to matching the hype they seemed to be building up around it. Granted it was rather enjoyable, but I would rate it about average for the season rather than all that great.

I think they overdid it a bit on Spike's title too. I realize what he did for the Crystal Empire was a really big thing for them, but every time I heard that title I groaned a bit.

To tell the truth I was expecting an episode named the Equestria Games to actually focus a bit more on the actual games. I'm glad Spike got a bit of character development, but I guess I was expecting something a bit different.

Overall an OK episode that was still enjoyable to watch, but not worth the hype it was given.

Also, full episodes for the the entirety of season four are up on the HUB, so if you missed some of it or want to rewatch it now's your chance.

Mizuki

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 May 03, 22:41:47

Honestly, I don't think this episode came anywhere close to matching the hype they seemed to be building up around it. Granted it was rather enjoyable, but I would rate it about average for the season rather than all that great.

I think they overdid it a bit on Spike's title too. I realize what he did for the Crystal Empire was a really big thing for them, but every time I heard that title I groaned a bit.

To tell the truth I was expecting an episode named the Equestria Games to actually focus a bit more on the actual games. I'm glad Spike got a bit of character development, but I guess I was expecting something a bit different.

Overall an OK episode that was still enjoyable to watch, but not worth the hype it was given.

^You just described my feelings on the episode with 110% accuracy! O:

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 May 04, 04:21:41
Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 May 03, 22:41:47

^You just described my feelings on the episode with 110% accuracy! O:

I'm just glad to have gotten a nice Spike episode that was good 100% because of Spike, not because another character carried the plot or helped him carry the plot. Inspiration Manifestation was good only partially because of Spike. Rarity helped carry it and make it interesting.

Dawnstar

True, but I'm sure people would've preferred it happen in its own episode rather than one that was overly hyped and had completely different expectations.

I'm not saying it was a bad thing, it was nice that Spike got an episode like this. It's just, I think a lot of people were expecting something different.

LostSanity

There's nothing to say about this episode.

Because it was ANOTHER VERY AMAZING episode.

:D

Time to prepare for the Season Finale I guess...

*prepares to take on entire board Persona style*

8)
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Puynsi

2014 May 04, 22:19:04 #454 Last Edit: 2014 May 04, 22:31:11 by Puynsi
You rage, you lose.
The E games was just awesome, I was expecting something regardless Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash (AGAIN), so I was frustrated when started, but suddenly, SPIKE THE GREAT AND BRAVE OUT OF NOWHERE!, at this point I was "YEEESSSS FOR CELESTIA SAKE YEEEEEESSSS!", lets be honest, Spike is treated like a hero on the Crystal Empire and the Mane6 doesnt even care for him at this point, so Im personally satisfied. (with "no care" I mean, seriously.)
Then again, this keeps poking my head, Spike is really unsure of himself, and Twillight coming over for the occasional morale speech just doesnt do it anymore, Im just waiting for Spike to learn some real dragon-related stuff, he is a freaking dragon, not a pansy pony.
What I loved here, was the line that Un-made Twillight (If she was/is/or is considered) a Mary Sue, the sole dialogue when Spike says "You dont know how it feels to let somepony down, you never  let someopony down." and Twillight answers, "I've totally let ponies down." This just made me feel all warm and fuzzy, dunno why.

Topic change, Not enough Gryphons, I was waiting for an incredible race gather-up and I was kinda dissapointed, they make look Celestia as a racist overlord or something like it.
Maybe a speech between Spitfire and RD could have been good, loved the DERPY, NEEDS MORE DERPY!, maybe Hasbro its trying to redeem themselves with the fandom lol

And... Dat Rarity DERP, I watched it over and over again because it was just too funny, darn it Hasbro. lol

Buddy Minute

I can't help but be disappointed.

I wanted the Equestria Games! This episode focused on just what I didn't want to see. I wanted a series of cool animated scenes of ponies competing in sports events. I wanted to see culture, and how this affected the kingdom! I wanted more then two of the main characters to be in this thing--though to be fair that was kind of foreshadowed by "Rainbow Falls." It literally put into the background the parts I wanted to see the most. After watching this thing twice, I can't help but feel there was some kind of misunderstanding amongst the writers. Did they build up this events to lead to a Spike episode, or did they just create the Equestria Games to become the subject of like 4 episodes? It's confusing. Yeah, if I forget that, I could say it's a good episode on it's own. It would just be better if it wasn't foreshadowed for years. Spike has a good story, there's a good moral, and the setting of the Cyrstal Empire is epic and wonderful despite everything. The ponies present look like what I'd expect from Olympian attendants, and the stadium was glorious.  I just can't forget the potential we're missing out on. This episode focused on the main characters, and most of them where in their seats, watching the game that we couldn't see. The only events we did see were underwhelming. 

I'm in a funk now. Why couldn't this be an hour long episode? Could they do that, where the creators forced to fit this into a 1/2 hour or was this a conscious choice? This thing could have been great, and I feel like there's something working behind the scenes of this show to prevent us from ever getting that. I mean, even in the next seasons. The same force, whether it be writer or director or Hasbro, that made last seasons finale one episode is really holding back this series from being as good as it can be. I mean, sure, Pinkie's Pride was great, but why do we need 30-minute musicals in the first place? Make that a two-parter. Why does this show need to keep rushing it's stories and cramming in forced exposition?

I also wish they didn't introduce Pinkie Pie counting medals. We have Rainbow Dash who, for some reason, just came to the games to participate, so why introduce a subplot where Ponyville "wins" the games? That's not what this event is about! Why even have that. That should have been cut completely.

Weatherboy1

2014 May 06, 20:42:50 #456 Last Edit: 2014 May 06, 22:20:36 by Weatherboy1

MFW looking at the clips today

Post Merge

NOTICE: Starting May 17th, this thread will be closed down. Thank you for discussing Season 4! It has been a fantastic season

AaronMk

LORD TIREK DID NOTHING WRONG.

LostSanity

I'll just leave this here with the villain that was confirmed:

[spoiler]

*prepares for the final boss fight*

>:O[/spoiler]
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum