My OC! :D

Started by NightWish, 2013 Aug 08, 01:54:33

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

NightWish

2013 Aug 08, 01:54:33 Last Edit: 2013 Aug 08, 02:19:35 by NightWish
Well at least, the only one that's well developed. >w<; Her name's Night Wish and she's Luna's best friend / personal guard. She goes out into town to run errands and stuff for the Princess and junk. :u She's blind as a bat (no pun intended) but she can use sonar and she has really good hearing. A lot of ponies are scared of her because she looks kinda scary but she's actually really nice and actually kind of shy. ;u;
Spoiler: show

Name: Night Wish
Race: Pegasus Batpony
Skills: Extremely sensitive hearing, deadly in combat, can use sonar
Cutie mark: Shield with the New Lunar Republic insignia superimposed on it

Bio: Born blind in both eyes, she was the daughter of a prestigious family that has been serving the Princess for generations. Ever since she was a little filly she was trained to be a royal night guard. She didn't really enjoy it, but her parents weren't very strict either. They let her decide her own life. She didn't know where to go in her life, though, and so kept jumping from one random interest to another. She never made friends in school for that specific reason, and got in a lot of fights -- which, predictably, she would win. One day, however, the princess herself visited, and took an immediate interest in Night Wish -- even though she didn't particularly like politics or fighting, and was in fact blind, she still knew how to put up a fight. This led the princess to visit her more often, and eventually they formed a friendship. Through this, Night Wish became interested in Luna, not as princess, but as a friend. So now, she's not defending Luna the princess of the Night, but Luna her best and only friend. Luna acts as an anchor for Night Wish, which really helped her calm down during her rebellious years as a teenager.

Personality: Nice, calm, generally nice person to hang around. Being a batpony with creepy eyes has made a lot of ponies think she's some kind of delinquent, but she couldn't be further from it. Smart and open-minded, but kind of shy when approached by a stranger. She's a bit self-conscious of her disability. When asked about her past, she generally sidesteps the question and steers it somewhere else.

Favorite quote: "There is something haunting in the light of the moon. It has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and some of its inconceivable mystery."

Favorite pastime: Night flying and "listening to the stars". Also loves to whittle the time away with Luna. Tried learning to play a lap steel once, but Luna put a stop to that. Ponies don't play lap steels, that's just silly.
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

0jackie0

Normally, I'm not interested in OC's that have such a close relationship with a canon character (especially a princess), but she's actually fun to read about. Kudos to actually knowing good grammar and nice profile layout, something that is not very common with these types of profiles. Also, I'm glad to see some custom art. :3 I'm a bit of an art whore myself, so I like seeing that around.

My one BIG issue with her is the sudden interest that Luna displays, which isn't really explained all that well, other than putting up a fight. Some of the smaller things would be her being trained to join the night guard, despite her obvious disability. For that, sensitive hearing and sonar only works so well, so I can't imagine that her enlisting was a realistic goal for her parents.

Also, was she trained from birth? Her fighting ability seems to be a bit too much, especially since she didn't like training and even quit for an while to pursue other interests, yet she would 'predictably' win her fights. Did she train while pursuing those interests? If not, she would get a bit rusty, one would think.

Overall, very nice, just a few opinion-based minor flaws. Easy to read and flows nicely.

NightWish

It's actually a part of my head canon that the royal guards are bred by wealthy pony families to be bigger and better warhorses, which explains why they all look similar -- they come from the same gene pool. But yeah that's kinda the sort of family Night Wish comes from, so fighting is in her blood.

The Luna thing wasn't explained well either. >3<; She's more interested in the fact that she's blind and can still kick ass than she is just the ass-kicking itself. :u And yeah, it wasn't a realistic goal. That's why they let her go out and do her own thing.

Yeah she was trained from birth, most of the kids are. She didn't go blind until a while after birth though; she has congenital amaurosis, which causes blindness about a year after birth. She continued training even while doing other things, if only because that was a family thing and they wouldn't let her not. o3o

Yeah I generally don't like OCs with relationships to canon characters for the most part either, but I think I did pretty good with Night Wish! cx And yeah, I got the profile picture from Pony A Day on Tumblr, and the trotting .gif from Soriku here on LoE. I also have one of her diving into a box from my friend Bloo. :D
Spoiler: show

[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

Gracie Sky

Speaking of gene pools... we are dealing with a batpony and I can't help but be curious how this came to be. I'm fine with being blind and using sonar, but I have yet to see evidence suggesting that half breeds of ponies exist. Of course, there is nothing saying that half breeds don't exist, but I think this circumstance merits a brief explanation, especially considering how this pony becomes a personal guard of Princess Luna.

The only other thing that bothers me is how good at fighting she is. One running theme in the show is violence doesn't solve anything. Yes, ponies have kicked bad guys (but never other ponies) every now and then, but every time it didn't work out in the end. This is supposed to encourage alternative methods of settling differences and disputes. I'm skeptical about how quickly she (or the other ponies) resorts to violence. Furthermore, she is deadly in combat; this disturbs me. Even as a guard, I don't like the idea that a pony excels at fighting.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

NightWish

Well again, I don't think batponies are so much half breeds as much as they are ponies bred specifically for serving the Princess of the Night, and so adopted characteristics of bats. :u Also the bit about violence is personal preference. Lauren Faust actually confirmed that in her original idea for Scootaloo, she was being bullied at school and got in playground fights. So bullying is something that Faust herself believed to exist in the world, but again, it's really up to personal preference. I for one believe that violence is unavoidable, but in Equestria they do their best to only resort to it in desperate times. Night Wish hates fighting, but if she has to to protect Luna, then she would.
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

0jackie0

I was gonna say, bat ponies do indeed exist in the show.

Well, that all does explain it much better. :3 and for the canon character bit, if you can make it sound good, then obviously you're doing something right.

I wish I had a desktop pony gif, but I made up for it by hoarding too much art. xD

NightWish

Quote from: 0jackie0 on 2013 Aug 08, 19:51:40

Well, that all does explain it much better. :3 and for the canon character bit, if you can make it sound good, then obviously you're doing something right.

I wish I had a desktop pony gif, but I made up for it by hoarding too much art. xD

I'm not sure if Soriku is taking more requests, but I can link you to the thread I got it from! :o It only took him about a month and a half, which isn't much a pixel pony gif.
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

0jackie0

Quote from: NightWish on 2013 Aug 08, 20:00:29
Quote from: 0jackie0 on 2013 Aug 08, 19:51:40

I'm not sure if Soriku is taking more requests, but I can link you to the thread I got it from! :o It only took him about a month and a half, which isn't much a pixel pony gif.

That'd be nice of you, though I doubt I'd have the gall to ask some stranger for that kind of thing. I'll live. xD

NightWish

Quote from: 0jackie0 on 2013 Aug 10, 01:07:57
That'd be nice of you, though I doubt I'd have the gall to ask some stranger for that kind of thing. I'll live. xD

Are you trying to start a fight? >:u

Jk I love you. ;u;
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

Bane Emural

You make it sound like the Royal Lunar Guards are nothing more than knights because knights are typically from royal families supporting whoever is in charge of the kingdom. However, the whole bat-pony thing being shown in the show, I don't really much see that much. Only the Royal Lunar Guards looking like they have dragon wings but smaller, like a half-dragon, half-pony breed. Even a blog I follow says they have dragon wings and eyes given to them by Luna as a sign of their allegiance to Princess Luna. But their wings do almost look bat-like since they are in much smaller size to fit that of a pony.
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

NightWish

Quote from: Bane Emural on 2013 Aug 10, 14:16:18
You make it sound like the Royal Lunar Guards are nothing more than knights because knights are typically from royal families supporting whoever is in charge of the kingdom. However, the whole bat-pony thing being shown in the show, I don't really much see that much. Only the Royal Lunar Guards looking like they have dragon wings but smaller, like a half-dragon, half-pony breed. Even a blog I follow says they have dragon wings and eyes given to them by Luna as a sign of their allegiance to Princess Luna. But their wings do almost look bat-like since they are in much smaller size to fit that of a pony.
Isn't all of that head canon? >:u
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

Shadow Mare

Lot of fire around this thread.

Bane Emural

Quote from: NightWish on 2013 Aug 10, 15:13:42
Quote from: Bane Emural on 2013 Aug 10, 14:16:18
Isn't all of that head canon? >:u

Maybe, but not all of it. Remember what I said, some of this information I got out of a blog and just on how I look into a background character, especially on how I noticed the lizard-like eyes of a few Lunar Guards and their somewhat look-a-like of dragon wings.
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

0jackie0

Quote from: NightWish on 2013 Aug 10, 02:01:06
Quote from: 0jackie0 on 2013 Aug 10, 01:07:57

Are you trying to start a fight? >:u

Jk I love you. ;u;

Nah, I meant me as the stranger. xDD I assumed you knew them. <3

And for that other discussion, looks can be deceiving. Unless it is put out by the show and its staff, it is head canon.

NightWish

Quote from: 0jackie0 on 2013 Aug 10, 21:35:44
Nah, I meant me as the stranger. xDD I assumed you knew them. <3

And for that other discussion, looks can be deceiving. Unless it is put out by the show and its staff, it is head canon.
Well I know Bloo! :o Don't know Soriku, but he's nice from what I've seen. c:

Post Merge

Quote from: Bane Emural on 2013 Aug 10, 19:20:11
Maybe, but not all of it. Remember what I said, some of this information I got out of a blog and just on how I look into a background character, especially on how I noticed the lizard-like eyes of a few Lunar Guards and their somewhat look-a-like of dragon wings.
Yyyeah. That's head canon, friend. o3o

Post Merge

Quote from: Shadow Mare on 2013 Aug 10, 15:39:30
Lot of fire around this thread.
No fire! Just discussions! x3
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

The Stars

Ello There Nighty :U How's it been wanka?

Jokes aside, That's quite an interesting head-canon you have there; It would make a lot more sense that their genetically "Cloned" , and by that meaning basically just similar traits and genetics that resembled their parents. Would make up for the fact that they're static copies of one another, but that leaves the question of Shining Armor; Now, would he be the character that proves genetics don't entirely define you as a soldier? He does look a bit different from the standard unicorn guards... Could this be a hidden Gattaca reference we've all been missing? XD

Yay, I just BLEW my mind wiiiide open :U
Heads up!

// Thanks a lot Tiger! :D

Bane Emural

well like I said, I most of me information are from a blog, I can't tell if those wings are bat or dragon. They all look a like. But the lizard-like eyes that are shown a bit in the shown are a bit freaky.

Shadow Mare

QuoteWell at least, the only one that's well developed.

What does that mean? Just noticed this...

NightWish

2013 Aug 12, 00:46:54 #18 Last Edit: 2013 Aug 12, 00:49:17 by NightWish
Quote from: Shadow Mare on 2013 Aug 11, 22:37:35
QuoteWell at least, the only one that's well developed.

What does that mean? Just noticed this...
Well I have several other OCs, but none that have a fleshed out backstory or anything. Hell, I only have one other OC with any art made, Albino, but she's not even valid anymore since we know where alicorns come from (I swear to Celestia she's not as bad as the usual Mary Sue types that are associated with alicorns D:). I have two earth ponies, two unicorn, and.... Well I guess I could turn Albino into a pegasus....

Post Merge

Quote from: The Stars on 2013 Aug 11, 00:00:56
Ello There Nighty :U How's it been wanka?

Jokes aside, That's quite an interesting head-canon you have there; It would make a lot more sense that their genetically "Cloned" , and by that meaning basically just similar traits and genetics that resembled their parents. Would make up for the fact that they're static copies of one another, but that leaves the question of Shining Armor; Now, would he be the character that proves genetics don't entirely define you as a soldier? He does look a bit different from the standard unicorn guards... Could this be a hidden Gattaca reference we've all been missing? XD

Yay, I just BLEW my mind wiiiide open :U
Yeah, not all the guards are from rich families. Anyone can enlist, but they have to prove their mettle before joining so usually the ones bred for combat come out on top. Shining got in though cuz he's cool like that, in my head canon. Yeah it's weird, but I like it. =w=
[move][/move]
Haters gonna hate.

0jackie0

I'd like to see the other OC's you have, even if they're not fleshed out. Looking at this one makes me interested in the others.
Obviously, when you get a chance and feel comfortable posting them. <3

Go Up