Royal Academy of Magic (Jump-In!) - IMF&M ended; Current Class: Dragonology

Started by The Wandering Magus, 2012 Aug 30, 16:37:00

previous topic - next topic

IMF&M ended, current class: Dragonology.  Please vote for the next class!

Inter-Magical Forces and Magitronics
0 (0%)
Dragonology and Other Beasts
3 (7.5%)
Summoning
4 (10%)
Biology
1 (2.5%)
Swimming
0 (0%)
Space and Flying Studies
1 (2.5%)
Music
1 (2.5%)
Practical Applications of Magic
0 (0%)
Magical Items
2 (5%)
Runeology
4 (10%)
Magic Glyphs
1 (2.5%)
Magic Drawings
0 (0%)
Shadow Magic
8 (20%)
Healing Magic and Herbology, Potions
4 (10%)
Elemental Magic
9 (22.5%)
Ancient Magic
2 (5%)
Other (please suggest in OOC or PM me)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Go Down

Bane Emural

"I am not doubting your potential but there are certain rules that must be followed, including formulas. You could probably make a million of formulas, but the Ancients are a different matter. There is a certain rule that must be followed in order to rewrite or make these kinds of formulas. It was set up by the first Ancients who created the devices, to ensure that the formulas wouldn't be copied or rewritten so easily. It was then reinforced by the Emperor or Empress, then the next one after that. There were at least 9 of them before the Empire fell. So now that restriction will never fall unless you beat at it for 10 years straight. So unless you are a living battery or carry a formula tool, you can't rewrite the Ancient formulas."

Bane sighs. "Look, you have a great potential and everything. Your power is amazing as well as your knowledge, but you must learn that not everything can be what you wanted, you may learn everything you can but that doesn't mean you can do it. And not every pony will understand you or how you felt for most of your life. I doubt any pony could understand mine."

Bane looks at Nightstar's angry expression. He then closes the cube and gives it back to Nighstar. "I'm sorry for what I may have said to you, that seemed offensive. But there are times when one must learn, that is how a pony can truly grow up. You have a great potential and a great future ahead of you, but you must learn to control yourself. And I don't mean your powers. Now how about we go back to the classroom, it will be better there to research the formulas than in here. Because I know teachers will barge in here and may start a conversation with you while you work."
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

PPBG

Kyslu was surprisingly relaxed with the crowd of ponies around him. Until the filly who had been so friendly earlier started badmouthing what he was willing to do, and more specifically, his friend. His little piece of home turned around and insulted him, with hardly a reason in his opinion. The dragon tensed, but kept still. It wouldn't to to be banned from campus for freezing a filly solid, even if she opposed the practices here.

Shard gave a warning glance to his draconic friend before turning back to Cloudy. He kept an ear on how his fellow teacher and the newcomer were doing, but the majority of his focus remained on the class. Err, he tried to keep it that way at least. The unicorn answered Cloudy's question after a moment of thought. "Uh, futhorc would be pronounced roughly same as the equestrian counterpart, because you aren't actually translating into a language, only an alphabet system. It doesn't really matter which you choose to do. You could do both if you'd like. But wait until most have collected their measurements." Shard looks pointedly at the tape measure Cloudy was holding. "I'll tell you when."

Shard looked over his pupils who were, for the most part, studiously collecting measurements. As expected, most went after the easy measurements. He did hope that a few would try for some more difficult measurements, specifically height related things. He had a several spools of thread and a ball of yarn in his bag, if anypony got creative. But he mostly expected claw size, total and tail length measurements.

(( NightlyMoon: Yeees? Erm, read the OOC thread for more detail on that.
Heheh... Note to dragonology students: it may be wise to check the OOC. There's a bit more information on measurements there...
Also, some information for Shard's students if you haven't seen it already in the OOC. Here is an image of Kyslu. Happy measuring! ovO  ))
My time here has measured much change, and I fear one of those changes might soon be my departure.

Voidwalker

"Okay, I should probably get on with making measurements myself." Cloudy replied to Shard before heading back to Kyslu.
She begins to measure Kyslu's tail, starting by measuring the total length then taking a length and width measurement of the feathered portion (which she noted down in her book as the tip for comparison to the size and style of Equestrian dragon tail tips).

Maybe a little more ionization on the wings... Aaack!
Here are my OCs

Bravo 658

Wavelength took a small camera-like device out of his satchel.  He stood directly ahead of the dragon, about 3 meters away, and held it level for several seconds before moving to repeat the action from the dragon's left side.  He kept it up until he finished on the dragon's right side, then simply dropped the object back in his satchel and continued jotting down notes on the ways the dragon moved.

Winds

"Hmph. How can you say such things when you don't even know me." She started, and looked to the side with an angry expression. "I suppose you also have some sort of mind reading device or spell, considering what you said you basically read all my thoughts of that moment." The young pony then faced the older one again, standing firm both on her legs and words, not waiting for his answer. "Yeah okay I'll go. I don't know if I'll handle another teacher bothering my research." She was being serious, not making any jokes. But got everything ready to follow the professor, perhaps she could continue there. Her research was all she had.
The sky is our friend. We need but to learn. ~Whispering Winds

My knowledge surpasses yours tenfold. ~Nightstar Dreams

Bane Emural

"Good, and as for that. I have been alive for 50,000 years, and while living for that long, I have been watching ponies from either close by or from a distance. You could say I have developed a sense, but I can only tell from your emotions and attitude. I am no mind reader." Bane heads out of the teacher's lounge and towards the classroom. He enters the classroom and sits down at his teacher's desk. There is another desk next to his.
As Time passes by, so does the winds of the Storms, the water of the Seas, and the rock of the Earth. As all things go, from Life to Death, the sands of Time passes by. ~ Bane Emural

PPBG

Quote from: Winds on 2013 Dec 18, 18:22:31
Whispering Winds watched as the younger pony left the area with the teacher she had met before she came to class, right after arriving at the academy. She felt like they didn't want her presence so she didn't follow them. And besides, she was still in class. What was professor Shard doing again? The light green pegasus averted her gaze to the dragonology professor and tried speaking with him. Anything to bring the class back on track. "Err... so is there anything else you can tell us that you consider worth telling...?" She finally landed on her hooves, near Shard, after spending quite a while on air. She thought it would be better if she did.

Shard looked up at the pegasus. "Uh, for now, just note the physical features of the dragon. You'll need three measurements, although other comparisons, like horn shape and such, are recommended." He tilted his head over to the measuring tapes. "I'll answer questions about what you should be doing now, but others will have to wait until you have what I've asked for."
My time here has measured much change, and I fear one of those changes might soon be my departure.

LostSanity

Quote from: PPBG on 2013 Dec 19, 19:39:11
Quote from: Winds on 2013 Dec 18, 18:22:31
Whispering Winds watched as the younger pony left the area with the teacher she had met before she came to class, right after arriving at the academy. She felt like they didn't want her presence so she didn't follow them. And besides, she was still in class. What was professor Shard doing again? The light green pegasus averted her gaze to the dragonology professor and tried speaking with him. Anything to bring the class back on track. "Err... so is there anything else you can tell us that you consider worth telling...?" She finally landed on her hooves, near Shard, after spending quite a while on air. She thought it would be better if she did.

Shard looked up at the pegasus. "Uh, for now, just note the physical features of the dragon. You'll need three measurements, although other comparisons, like horn shape and such, are recommended." He tilted his head over to the measuring tapes. "I'll answer questions about what you should be doing now, but others will have to wait until you have what I've asked for."

Mage approached Shard and showed him the measurements he and Flare recorded into Mage's notebook.

"Um... so... are these right?" asked Mage

((We... really don't have to post actual measurements... do we...?  :I ))
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Bravo 658

Wavelength paused.  "Oh, we need the measurements now?  ...Er, mind if I go get something?  I'll be but a minute," he asked Shard, giving Mage an apologetic glance for the brief interruption.

Voidwalker

After finishing her measurements of Kyslu's tail, Cloudy move on to his talons.
She takes a measurement of their length from joint to tip, then decides to remeasure them.
This time she measures the inner and outer lengths, following the talon curvature.

Here are my OCs

Winds

Quote from: Bane Emural on 2013 Dec 19, 05:45:00
"Good, and as for that. I have been alive for 50,000 years, and while living for that long, I have been watching ponies from either close by or from a distance. You could say I have developed a sense, but I can only tell from your emotions and attitude. I am no mind reader." Bane heads out of the teacher's lounge and towards the classroom. He enters the classroom and sits down at his teacher's desk. There is another desk next to his.

Nightstar shaked her head in disagreement, but didn't say a word while she walked to the Ancient Magic classroom; her classroom.
She reached her desk and sat on the chair. For some reason the young pony started to think about herself. How many years has it been now? Fifteen...? It always feels like ages...

Dreams shoved the thought to the back of her mind, cursing herself for thinking about those things. She hit herself on the muzzle lightly to snap out of it too. She didn't want to continue with the small cube, not yet. Instead, she took her unique book from its container and placed it on her desk. The book was not giant but not small either. It had a red cover and the title was unclear. Nightstar opened the book and started reading. That made her feel a little comfortable.

PPBG

"They look about right." Turning to Wavelength, Shard asked, "What do you need to get?"

((I'd like you to.  ovO But ... you don't have to.))

Bane Emural

Bane looked at Nightstar and smiles, then looks at his work. He opens up his cube and pulls out a medium sized disk-shaped object. It, too, radiates with magical energy like that of the cube and guard bot. Bane places it on his desk. He then looks at the time, then back at the disk.

LostSanity

Quote from: PPBG on 2013 Dec 20, 17:55:58
"They look about right." Turning to Wavelength, Shard asked, "What do you need to get?"

((I'd like you to.  ovO But ... you don't have to.))

((I would but I'm kind of really stressed IRL at the moment so I'm not changing it. Sorry.  ono ))

Mage simply nodded and reported back to Flare. They simply began to converse with one another as they continued to wait for either the class to end or for their chance to converse with the dragon themselves.

Voidwalker

After measuring Kyslu's talons, Cloudy walks up in front of the dragon.
"Please could you lower your head so I could measure your horns and fangs?" She asks him.
((Actual measurements eh? I'm going to consult my copy of Ernest Drake's Dragonology (or perhaps the species guide) then.))

Here are my OCs

Bravo 658

Wavelength started to answer, but paused.  "Er... you wouldn't be familiar with its actual name... I'll just say it's a translator of sorts, and I have the measurements recorded in another... erm... language?"  He gave the professor an awkward smile, hoping he wasn't due for a total explanation of non-magic-based technology, since he really wasn't an expert in the field.  He just knew how to operate the equipment he was assigned.

Winds

Quote from: Bane Emural on 2013 Dec 20, 18:09:03
Bane looked at Nightstar and smiles, then looks at his work. He opens up his cube and pulls out a medium sized disk-shaped object. It, too, radiates with magical energy like that of the cube and guard bot. Bane places it on his desk. He then looks at the time, then back at the disk.

It was the 16th time she was reading that book. She never got bored of it and it could prove valuable to other fields of her research.

After some time reading the young pony closes the book, on its red cover two final words of the title could be seen in black color: Pony Combustion. Her hoof was covering the rest.

As soon as the book was closed Nightstar's head fell on the desk right next to it. Exhaustion from lack of sleep finally catching up to her. It had been days since she last slept, her research and will to study keeping her awake. Her eyes were closed and she was finally getting some rest. As much as she did not want to sleep and continue her research, her body thanked Celestia for that moment of rest.

She didn't even have the chance to ask...

PPBG

"Ah, I'd prefer if you just used a tape measure. If you're incapable of that though, feel free to get whatever this thing is. I'd just prefer to not introduce Ky to unknown objects," Shard replied.

The dragon lowered his head and opened his mouth, complying with Cloudy's requests. ((I'll figure out fang measurements shortly. I currently do not have any images that you can glean fang measurements from.))

((It's fine if you don't feel like measuring. I will give you the measurements once you need them.
But you can use this image of Kyslu to determine measurements if you wish.))

Bravo 658

Wavelength shook his head, definitely not wanting the teacher to think he was incapable of using a tape measure.  "The object wouldn't actually be interacting with Ky, but I'll go ahead and use the tape measure.  My entire point was to make him more comfortable by a lack of physical contact, but I suppose he's getting plenty enough of that already," he chuckled as Cloudy measured the dragon's teeth.  He set to work following suit.

LostSanity

((I feel better now that I have my issue resolved...  ^-^ ))

Mage and Flare began to simply observe the other students do their measurements, since it wasn't like they had anything else better to do right now anyway.

Go Up