Psychology of Bronies

Started by Iodine, 2012 Jul 05, 08:03:35

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Iodine

Very interesting stuff! This disproves a lot of labels people have been giving Bronies.

Lary

2012 Jul 05, 08:31:19 #1 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 05, 08:34:14 by Lary
I don't see the point to this. They're giving a speech by bronies, to bronies. I don't see any kind of special impact, especially because there still exists the dark side of the fandom.

If this was supposed to be geared towards the "haters", it probably should have been shorter.

Also, point 2 in the description is false.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 05, 08:31:19
Also, point 2 in the description is false.

Sorry, going to have to disagree with you on this one. We are more emotionally controlled, and I have a good reason why. Ever watch Jersey Shore or Real Housewives? They say and think they are, but they always end up fighting in the end, over something bizarre. We actually listen to each other when someone cries for help. We're more stable, simply for the fact that we look up to six ponies who are always there for each other when in trouble.

Iodine

They did a survey with Bronies and non-Bronies and compared them and there were very little differences, except that Bronies are more tolerable but also tend to be introverted. It's not directed towards haters, it's collected data to show facts. There's no more of a dark side of Bronies than any other group of anybody out there. They mentioned "hidden Bronies" and could not get much data on them, and that is probably the dark side of Bronies, which is only 5% of the whole fandom.

Lary

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 08:48:45
Sorry, going to have to disagree with you on this one. We are more emotionally controlled, and I have a good reason why. Ever watch Jersey Shore or Real Housewives? They say and think they are, but they always end up fighting in the end, over something bizarre. We actually listen to each other when someone cries for help. We're more stable, simply for the fact that we look up to six ponies who are always there for each other when in trouble.

Those are TV shows. They act like idiots for that particular reason; they're actors. And in Jersey Shore's particular case, they really are idiots.

Quote from: Iodine on 2012 Jul 05, 08:49:02
They did a survey with Bronies and non-Bronies and compared them and there were very little differences, except that Bronies are more tolerable but also tend to be introverted. It's not directed towards haters, it's collected data to show facts. There's no more of a dark side of Bronies than any other group of anybody out there. They mentioned "hidden Bronies" and could not get much data on them, and that is probably the dark side of Bronies, which is only 5% of the whole fandom.

How broad was the survey? And I can assure you the dark side is much, much bigger than just 5%.

Iodine

They said they had about 20,000 people take the survey.

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 05, 08:54:16
Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 08:48:45

Those are TV shows. They act like idiots for that particular reason; they're actors. And in Jersey Shore's particular case, they really are idiots.

Yes, but people watch them, and they think that's their everyday life. So what will happen if people start looking up to them and no one else? All I can say is, the end is near.

Lary

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 09:00:56
Yes, but people watch them, and they think that's their everyday life. So what will happen if people start looking up to them and no one else? All I can say is, the end is near.

That's their problem. You should not idolize yourself because of one stupid show, whether it's Jersey Shore, or My Little Pony, which is why this fanbase burns me up.

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 05, 09:01:30
Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 09:00:56

That's their problem. You should not idolize yourself because of one stupid show, whether it's Jersey Shore, or My Little Pony, which is why this fanbase burns me up.

Wait, this has nothing to with the fanbase though. Anyway, people don't know that you shouldn't look up to some ridiculous show, it's just how the mind works.

Iodine

It just sounds like you want to be a Negative Nancy and are content with wanting Bronies to look negative rather than embracing the positive aspects of why people watch the show.

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Iodine on 2012 Jul 05, 09:08:48
It just sounds like you want to be a Negative Nancy and are content with wanting Bronies to look negative rather than embracing the positive aspects of why people watch the show.

Oh no no no no, I'm not talking about My Little Pony, I'm talking about Jersey Shore and such.

Iodine

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 09:12:48

Oh no no no no, I'm not talking about My Little Pony, I'm talking about Jersey Shore and such.

I was referring to Lary, actually.

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Iodine on 2012 Jul 05, 09:14:19
Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 05, 09:12:48

I was referring to Lary, actually.

Oh. X3

Iodine

But yeah, a big reason why people love this cartoon is because of the morals and positive messages it gives, along with the colorful animation, great writing and music. I'm not sure why people watch FIM, say they like it, and still act pessimistic and negative about it, it doesn't make sense!

Ozzy

The entire notion of somone being judged in a way that is based around thier interests rather than thier essence of character anyway is ridiculus, I am not a brony myself, that is, I don't watch the show, but alot of my friends are, though I did meet many of these fantastic people through this fandom, heck, I even made a Herd for them. But this survay does raise and challenge some of the more negative labels bronies often receive.

And in response to some of the previous posts in this thread, every single trend/fandom/fashion has a dark side, that is not bronies, that is humanity you are seeing, it will always happen, but that doesn't mean you have to be a part of it, should you choose, besides, the good doctor said they are going to look at some of the darker aspects of the fandom in thier 3rd survay, so you can't deny they aren't deliberatly ignoring it, unlike certain other videos..this research is not biased one way or the other.

Iodine

Quote from: Ozzy on 2012 Jul 05, 09:49:19
The entire notion of somone being judged in a way that is based around thier interests rather than thier essence of character anyway is ridiculus, I am not a brony myself, that is, I don't watch the show, but alot of my friends are, though I did meet many of these fantastic people through this fandom, heck, I even made a Herd for them. But this survay does raise and challenge some of the more negative labels bronies often receive.

And in response to some of the previous posts in this thread, every single trend/fandom/fashion has a dark side, that is not bronies, that is humanity you are seeing, it will always happen, but that doesn't mean you have to be a part of it, should you choose, besides, the good doctor said they are going to look at some of the darker aspects of the fandom in thier 3rd survay, so you can't deny they aren't deliberatly ignoring it, unlike certain other videos..this research is not biased one way or the other.

I'm completely agree with you!

There's a reason why Rule 34 called a rule. Any fanbase that is recognizable will have http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules.. The Brony community is mostly filled with straight, adolescent males, and it's a cartoon about mostly female characters. Put two and two together and you'll understand why clop exists.

Mr.Darkling

For someone who frequently expresses their disliking to the Brony community I'm amazed you're still here.

Pointless pondering aside though.
As for point 2 in the description summary, it's a survey  :l
It may not cover every single person and considering it's a survey not completely based on quantitative research it can be considered bias by input.
However it's better than nothing and I would personally say 20,000 bronies worth of collective data is a nice number to have a comprehensive idea on the Brony Community.

If this is the final result of that large psychological survey that was mentioned multiples times on EQD I am happy to say I took it.
Was around 10-15 minutes to finish it and most of the questions were basic enough to reduce bias but important enough for general information.
"Man is a make-believe animal, he is never so truly himself as when he is acting the part"

Goldenrod

I personally find that the point of this survey is to give bronies statistics about themselves to show the haters they aren't messed up.
The whole panel seemed to be showing how the population is very close to average, and not the freak show some people want to call us.
I find it more to show that people don't have to feel ashamed about their likes and how they are just like everyone who doesn't like the show.

Iodine

I just don't understand the stigma of MLP. I guess it's just general misogyny and gender role stereotypes. I really wish our culture would get over it already.

thegrandfunkasaurus

Would everyone please lay off Lary? It's perfectly fine to make an observation that is less than flattering about Bronies.

More on topic, this survey is flawed in that its entirely possible to lie about your habits/personality. That said, I met Dr. Psych Ology back in January and he is just the coolest guy ever. I respect what he's trying to do, even tho I disagree with some of his conclusions.

Go Up