Dramatic Song Challenge!

Started by Fudgemuffin, 2012 Jun 05, 10:31:41

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GalvinRoe

2012 Jun 20, 23:40:33 #20 Last Edit: 2012 Jun 20, 23:44:15 by GalvinRoe
Hahah!  lol. I'm so desperate for something to sing I sort of want to try this challange  lol! But I KNOW I wouldn't be able to stop from bursting out laughing during parts of the song, so sorry friends no Dramatic SOng from GalvinROe  lol!

Legulus

I'll.... I'll attempt this tomorrow  :s
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those that don't ;)
Thanks to Jenzy for mah avatar.

Tekner

I made a quick instrumental that can back any vocals you guys make ...if anyone else is actually going to try their hoof at this, that is.
Here it is. Hope you like it!

PrincessButton

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Jun 22, 21:23:53
I made a quick instrumental that can back any vocals you guys make ...if anyone else is actually going to try their hoof at this, that is.
Oh Tekner, you so nice.
I might do it, if I have some free time, but I think it'd sound weird in a voice like mine.  lol
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Tekner

Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2012 Jun 22, 21:27:14
Oh Tekner, you so nice.
I might do it, if I have some free time, but I think it'd sound weird in a voice like mine.  lol
You're Pinkie Pie. You'll make it work. And if it doesn't work, it'll still work.

PrincessButton

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Jun 22, 21:31:36
Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2012 Jun 22, 21:27:14
Oh Tekner, you so nice.
You're Pinkie Pie. You'll make it work. And if it doesn't work, it'll still work.
:D Then I'll probably do it..
Eventually...

Legulus

So I finally mastered the art of overlaying MP3 files! :D

.... I just have to sing louder next time. But I don't care for now, because I am so happy to have Audacity now  :')

Anyway, here's my cover:

http://soundcloud.com/legulus/dramatic-song-vocal-cover
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those that don't ;)

PrincessButton

Quote from: Legulus on 2012 Jun 24, 08:48:02

.... I just have to sing louder next time. But I don't care for now, because I am so happy to have Audacity now  :')

Anyway, here's my cover:

"THIS PARTS INTENSE."
I started cracking up. lol
Fantastic job Legulus. :D

Legulus

I made Pinkie laugh! Success! :D

But yeah, I think I overdid it there. Thank you  x3

PrincessButton

Quote from: Legulus on 2012 Jun 24, 11:12:35
I made Pinkie laugh! Success! :D

But yeah, I think I overdid it there. Thank you  x3
It was great. :D You're welcome.

Sonic Heart

Nice!  :D Also nice cover of Taking Flight!

Tekner

Quote from: Legulus on 2012 Jun 24, 08:48:02

Anyway, here's my cover:

Yay! Someone used my instrumental ^-^
Nice cover. I love how much passion you put into it.
I would suggest, however, that you watch your tempo. It sounds like you think about what you need to sing and belt it out without listening to when it needs to be sung.

If you have audacity working, then do this to help you practice singing a song on key and on tempo: open up what song you're singing in audacity, make sure in your settings you have it set to play audio while you're recording, and hit record! I'd recommend you use earphones, not external speakers, and keep it at a volume where you can hear yourself clearly, but the music is loud enough to hear the background instruments. Over time you get a sense of what pitch to sing at to match the song. Also when you're done, you can play it back and hear how you match up to the singer of your song. Good luck!

P.S. The other advantage of this strategy is it helps sync your voice to the background music. If you choose to phase cancel your music, then you have all the timing done for you. If you import another instrumental to work off of, just mute your voice and make sure the actual song and the instrumental are synced, then unmute your voice and mute the actual music.

Legulus

It's funny, people always comment on how "passionate" I sound when really, it's just the way my voice naturally comes out xP

But yes, tempo is one thing I need to work on. Your observation of how I think about what I need to sing, then just go ahead without listening is true. Although that's hard to do when I record using an iPod and not a built-in/connectable microphone on my laptop. I assure you that once I do get a mic, things'll be much better.

Thank you for the tips :)

Tekner

Quote from: Legulus on 2012 Jun 25, 08:47:25
It's funny, people always comment on how "passionate" I sound when really, it's just the way my voice naturally comes out xP

But yes, tempo is one thing I need to work on. Your observation of how I think about what I need to sing, then just go ahead without listening is true. Although that's hard to do when I record using an iPod and not a built-in/connectable microphone on my laptop. I assure you that once I do get a mic, things'll be much better.

Thank you for the tips :)
Any time :)
I'd recommend you go to your nearest Game Stop, Best Buy, or some electronics store and pick up a $20-$30 headset. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. It makes recording a lot easier for the reasons I mentioned above too. The only downside is the microphones on them are sometimes very sensitive and you have to get real close to them in order to be loud. Don't get close to them however, to get louder. People hearing your breathing and cringing every time you make a breathy sound like "S" or "Th" is not a good thing. Record it with the mic a few inches away from your mouth, not directly in front of your mouth or under your nose. Later on you can always increase the volume of your recording and remove static in the background.

Little Star

I'm thinking of uploading one...

Fudgemuffin

That's awesome if you want to upload your cover. I think this challenge is dead though. lol

Julius

Legulus, thinking about what Tekner said, i thought i'd share how i record.

Usually i put on my Skullcandy Headphones (You know, big headphones), but only on one ear. Basically i leave the left side on and i push the right side back so it's not covering my ear. Hope that makes sense.  :P

Then, i play the song i want to sing on, let's say, YouTube and sing along to it. That way i get a perfect sync with the music. Then all that's left to do is adding the instrumentals on your audio editing program. Easy!

I sometimes record myself singing with the instrumental playing on GarageBand while listening to the original song on my iPhone. An example of that is my Sweet Apple Acres cover.  :]

I'll see if i cover this song for you guys. Not sure. Don't think so.  :/
Purr~

LaptopCommandStation

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Sep 02, 00:20:34
Legulus, thinking about what Tekner said, i thought i'd share how i record.

Usually i put on my Skullcandy Headphones (You know, big headphones), but only on one ear. Basically i leave the left side on and i push the right side back so it's not covering my ear. Hope that makes sense.  :P

Then, i play the song i want to sing on, let's say, YouTube and sing along to it. That way i get a perfect sync with the music. Then all that's left to do is adding the instrumentals on your audio editing program. Easy!

I sometimes record myself singing with the instrumental playing on GarageBand while listening to the original song on my iPhone. An example of that is my Sweet Apple Acres cover.  :]

I'll see if i cover this song for you guys. Not sure. Don't think so.  :/

I do basically the same thing, but I download both a normal version and an instrumental of the song i'm doing, import them both into Audacity(the sound-editing program I use), sync the 2 versions, mute the instrumental and record my voice while playing the normal version(with audacity if you hit record it'll record while also playing any tracks in your project, so you can sing in sync with your music).  Then you unmute the instrumental and mute the original, voila.

I find my music quality improves if I use my karaoke mic instead of my headset mic, while also using my headset to listen, one ear in-one out, but do what sounds the best to you.

Tekner

See! That's exactly what I said to do!

LaptopCommandStation

2012 Sep 03, 14:39:04 #39 Last Edit: 2012 Sep 03, 22:39:14 by LaptopCommandStation
No challenge is ever dead if it hasn't been covered by the Station.

^Click me^

It also seems I failed to read Tekner's post at the top of this thread that I basically repeated.

Oops  X3

Go Up