What are your thoughts on Twilight becoming an Alicorn?

Started by Julius, 2013 Jan 29, 14:06:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

PrincessParfait

Here's my honest opinion. If anyone should care ^^ :
Spoiler: show
The only way I'd be happy with this is if.
1. They keep Twilight as princess and Celestia's right hand mare. Just take off the wings. I haven't seen the episode yet but already they seem out of place? Are they really necessary? So far the only reason they're there is to sell toys and it backfires on the whole "anyone can be a princess" idea since this is a show for little girls. I think it would be much sweeter and heartwarming if Twilight rose to the top with how she is already without having to change herself into an alicorn ^^
Or
2. They make the other 6 princesses too? I doubt this would happen. With Twilight an alicorn it overshadows the rest and the balance of the characters are out of balance. You've got two of each races when before all ponies shared the spotlight. Now you've one pony seriously standing out but not in a good way but in a rather forced way.

But in the end we should take My Little Pony as it was meant to be. Nothing special other than a show for little girls about talking rainbow ponies. So let's all be civil and give it a chance for sure before jumping ship ^^
And there is my thoughts :3 I'm taking this rather neutral for now. But I agree with Itty. This seems a bit too early.

Sea Foam

Quote from: Itty Bit on 2013 Jan 29, 16:14:22
I figured Twilight was gonna become a princess eventually. I mean, Rarity already achieved her dream of becoming popular in Canterlot, and Rainbow Dash is pretty much on her way to being a Wonderbolt now.
Only problem is that it just feels a little too early. It should have been a series finale, not a season finale. Oh well.~

This is something I've noticed as well. Many of the character's aspirations are resolving. Even the Cutie Mark Crusaders are progressing.

Quote from: PrincessParfait on 2013 Jan 29, 16:23:28
But in the end we should take My Little Pony as it was meant to be. Nothing special other than a show for little girls about talking rainbow ponies. So let's all be civil and give it a chance for sure before jumping ship ^^

I feel precisely the same.
I think too many people want to see the show differently; mature and more adult oriented. But, it's a children's show, and this just isn't going to happen. This is where I think most of people's disappointment stems from because they don't see the show for what it is and refuse to let go of what they want to see from it.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes;
they call me on and on across the universe.
Thank you, Durpy, for the banner!

Vertigo

I'm ok with Twilight being a alicorn. She has something good going for her. She's still going to be the same Twilight we love.

PrincessParfait

Twilight is perfect the way she is ^^ She doesn't need to change herself into another species to be a princess. I think this would be better.

Julius

Quote from: PrincessParfait on 2013 Jan 29, 17:26:44
Twilight is perfect the way she is ^^ She doesn't need to change herself into another species to be a princess. I think this would be better.

I agree with this...

I mean, this is Twilight.

Not this... :s

THESE MIXED FEELINGS MAN! :l
Purr~

LostSanity

I'm listening to TWEWY music to restrain my RAGE MODE.

ovO
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

leafy

I actually like the whole idea a lot; I don't understand why people get so upset by the mere thought of the idea.  o.O I guess opinions differ. But some of the creations by the fandom could be pretty neat. 
http://prntscr.com/qw9z4

Vertigo

I think shes perfect to but the wings upgrade her magic in some weird way.

Perteks

Ignore my grammar or PM me with correct version (it will help me to learn)

Book Smarts

2013 Jan 29, 19:48:42 #30 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 29, 19:54:36 by Book Smarts
I was always neutral on this debate, if the writers want to create an Alicorn Twilight, they should know it's a risky move. It could be bad, but there's also a chance for great new episodes.

Examples
Twilight could start experiencing random magic surges everytime Pinkie Pie surprises her
Flight Training with Rainbow Dash

While watching the new Brony101 video, it brings up a good point, Twilight's already overpowered, what more would wings change? She can already technically create magical wings.

Gracie Sky

I did hear something about cutie marks and destinies changing, so I'm imagining what we'll see is a glimpse of what Twilight's destiny could have been. After all... I'm betting my wings that Discord's chaotic magic is going to play a role in whatever happens, since Princess Celestia for some reason needed that instead of Alicorn magic. I think we need to stop taking things for face value and look at all the underlining factors that the developers have gone out of their way to build upon.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm going to seriously need to rethink the direction my fanfiction is going. :P
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Chishio Kunrin

2013 Jan 29, 22:00:35 #32 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 29, 22:04:48 by Chishio Kunrin
I don't like it, but I can warm up to the thought if they do it right.

When Canterlot Wedding was going to air, I made the mistake in doubting the writers and deciding I wasn't going to watch it, until I saw the commercial for it. I'm not gonna lose faith in the writers before even seeing an episode again. So I guess we'll see how it goes.

I think it's kind of funny that, this whole time, a lot of us thought "Twilight is becoming an alicorn" was just a troll. Instead, it's just the writers doing the unexpected. It almost feels like the writers are the ones who trolled us.

I guess when Tara said Twilight would not become an alicorn, she was just trying to cover a spoiler because it was too soon.

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jan 29, 20:12:42
I did hear something about cutie marks and destinies changing, so I'm imagining what we'll see is a glimpse of what Twilight's destiny could have been. After all... I'm betting my wings that Discord's chaotic magic is going to play a role in whatever happens, since Princess Celestia for some reason needed that instead of Alicorn magic. I think we need to stop taking things for face value and look at all the underlining factors that the developers have gone out of their way to build upon.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm going to seriously need to rethink the direction my fanfiction is going. :P

True. Which is why I shan't lose faith in them before seeing the episode. They might have an interesting twist going on.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

I'm going to watch it myself at least as well, it might end up good though it will still feel odd seeing Twilight with wings and only having one Unicorn in the Mane 6 now. But it could also lead to a few funny episodes. I just hope the writers know what they are doing with the story from this point on.

Chishio Kunrin

Still not completely sure where the "Alternate destiny" info is coming from, but I kind of hope that will be the case. Not because it means Twilight will probably not permanently be an alicorn, but because that would actually make a really interesting story. One of those "What if" moments.

The Silent Wolf

My thoughts on it? She looks pretty with wings, thats my thoughts  :3
If The Silent Wolf is to long, just call me Kake

Skype if you happen to want to talk to me: Pokemonvskirby
I'm a little seal nerd, short and stout, here is my flipper, here is my snout~

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: The Silent Wolf on 2013 Jan 29, 22:30:11
My thoughts on it? She looks pretty with wings, thats my thoughts  :3

Fanart of alicorn mane six characters are pretty. ;) I'll admit, I like alicorn fanart of pretty much any pony. A pony actually becoming an alicorn is... strange, though.

Gracie Sky

Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Jan 29, 22:37:12
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Mystery_Cure

I hope this is a reliable enough source.

We saw screenshots from that before season 3 started. :I I wonder why they showed us those so early.

Dawnstar

Honestly, as long as the episode is well-written, fun to watch and make sense I don't really mind if Twilight becomes an Alicorn.

At first I will admit I was a bit skeptical about the possibility as I felt that Alicorns were a bit too unique and powerful to be just thrown around like that. However, as I thought more about it I realized that Alicorns weren't really as powerful as people seem to think they are.

Starting off with episode one Celestia directed Twilight and her soon-to-be friends to find the Elements of Harmony because, as stated when Discord returns, she no longer can use their power. Add in her disappearance once Nightmare Moon returned and I get the feeling that she was no match for her sister without the Elements.

Same thing when Discord returns, she states that she can no longer wield the Elements as Twilight and her friends do and for the most part during that episode all she is able to do is sit back and hope the six can succeed. Indirectly helping when she sends the letters back to Twilight. She didn't even catch the subtle hint in Discord's riddle that was meant to completely throw them off (granted none of them stuck around to think very hard on it to understand the riddle in its entirety so that part may be forgiven).

With Hearth's Warming Eve came the realization that the special talents of Celestia and Luna are pretty much what groups of Unicorns had been doing for centuries, but instead of requiring multiple ponies only two (and later one) were capable of doing so. Add in the statement elsewhere in the series that a Unicorn's magic is usually very generic and only tends to excel at whatever the Pony's special talent is, which is something I would assume extends to Alicorns as well (in other words, very standard magic made strong primarily through their longevity).

Then comes the Canterlot Wedding where she is beaten most soundly by Chrysalis (granted who's magic was boosted at the time), but the fact that she was not only beaten but, near as I could tell, injured and later incapacitated in a cocoon shows that she is not all-powerful. Coupled with the addition of Aging spells a few episodes later makes me think that while Alicorns may be immortal due to being unaging, they are certainly not invulnerable.

Lastly, with the addition of the Cyrstal Empire and Celestia's attempt at making Discord an ally of Equestria I see a case more of building a base of power. Something tells me Celestia has seen something on the future horizon that is making her want to build up very powerful allies which means, whatever is coming, it is something that she doesn't feel Equestria could handle on its own.

The culmination of all those realizations in retrospect makes me realize that, while having Twilight Sparkle become an Alicorn would be a little weird at first, it's not so much a jump in power as it is a jump in status. I honestly don't think she will become any more powerful than she already is (which she very much is), the addition of wings is just an aesthetic change to denote a higher status in my mind. Kind of like all those fancy clothes and pointless trinkets aristocrats used to wear. Nowhere close to the deification people seem to think they achieve.

Go Up