Royal Academy of Magic (Jump-In!) - IMF&M ended; Current Class: Dragonology

Started by The Wandering Magus, 2012 Aug 30, 16:37:00

previous topic - next topic

IMF&M ended, current class: Dragonology.  Please vote for the next class!

Inter-Magical Forces and Magitronics
0 (0%)
Dragonology and Other Beasts
3 (7.5%)
Summoning
4 (10%)
Biology
1 (2.5%)
Swimming
0 (0%)
Space and Flying Studies
1 (2.5%)
Music
1 (2.5%)
Practical Applications of Magic
0 (0%)
Magical Items
2 (5%)
Runeology
4 (10%)
Magic Glyphs
1 (2.5%)
Magic Drawings
0 (0%)
Shadow Magic
8 (20%)
Healing Magic and Herbology, Potions
4 (10%)
Elemental Magic
9 (22.5%)
Ancient Magic
2 (5%)
Other (please suggest in OOC or PM me)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Go Down

Voidwalker

"Should I produce a calibration curve for the thaumerimeter to compare the readings against?" Cloudy asks.

Maybe a little more ionization on the wings... Aaack!
Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 11, 22:21:15
"Should I produce a calibration curve for the thaumerimeter to compare the readings against?" Cloudy asks.
The professor smiled and nodded.  "For the rest of the class, calibration can be simplified as simply two or three readings for different inputs; the instructions should be on the white card in the bin in front of you.  However, Cloudy is correct; for more precise measurements it is always good standard procedure to produce as accurate a standard as possible to compare future readings against."
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

LostSanity

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Feb 12, 01:10:21
Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 11, 22:21:15
The professor smiled and nodded.  "For the rest of the class, calibration can be simplified as simply two or three readings for different inputs; the instructions should be on the white card in the bin in front of you.  However, Cloudy is correct; for more precise measurements it is always good standard procedure to produce as accurate a standard as possible to compare future readings against."

Mage and Flare sweatdropped.

They began to start over from scratch. They didn't want to be the ponies to cause an explosion to occur.
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Voidwalker

Cloudy began taking readings with several readings with fire rubies of varying calibrations. After obtaining enough points of data to produce a reasonable line of best fit (around 7 readings) she began to measure the strength of the field, moving the thaumerimeter away from the center of the field in 2cm steps.
((I'm taking some liberties with the instructions on the assumption that the field's power is inversely proportional to distance from the source. Assuming it isn't a directional source it would be at the center of the field.))

Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Feather smiles as Cloudy's matrix begins to glow correctly, the thaumerimeter giving accurate data in a rather nice-looking graph, with power being inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

"Now remember, class, that the equations you'll need are right up here on the board.  If you need a spare abacus, there should be one in the bin.  Later, we'll be creating matrices ourselves that can generate complex graphs and calculate all the components automatically, but for the moment it's good practice to do it once yourself to get a good understanding of how it works.  As my father taught me, just watching somepony do something doesn't grant you a skill; the only way to learn is through practice."
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636

LostSanity

Mage and Flare attempted to try to do this to the best of their ability...

They placed the ruby and began testing it to make sure everything was correct. They tested it twice to be absolutely safe.

They attempted to have the magic flow through it and sort of became tense.

Nothing happened. But that was a good thing they thought. Nothing exploded. Perhaps they were doing it right?

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: LostSanity on 2013 Feb 14, 18:37:36
Mage and Flare attempted to try to do this to the best of their ability...

They placed the ruby and began testing it to make sure everything was correct. They tested it twice to be absolutely safe.

They attempted to have the magic flow through it and sort of became tense.

Nothing happened. But that was a good thing they thought. Nothing exploded. Perhaps they were doing it right?
The professor looked at their matrix with a slightly pursed lip.  He thinks for a second, then smiles as he looks away.  A single line of chalk shifts slightly, and suddenly the matrix begins glowing brightly, and the thaumerimeter began spitting out excellent data.  He kept smiling as he walked to the next lab group.

PPBG

Shard followed the instructions of the teacher. He hooked up the thaumerimeter and set it to twenty-four Swirls. Shard checked it with the Fire Ruby, and it was correctly calibrated.

(( And, after that, I understand none of Professor Scroll's instructions.  lol Sorry about my clueless-ness.))
My time here has measured much change, and I fear one of those changes might soon be my departure.

Voidwalker

((Does a reading of 101.2 Thaum at 0cm, 96.8 at 2cm, 84.1 at 4cm, etc seem like suitable data?
The field would read 0 Thaum at around 10cm.))

Cloudy places the pendulum at the center of the field, the plum-bob on the same horizontal plane as the source.
She note the length of the string then releases the bob, which drifts away from the source. Cloudy measures the angle of the string at the with the protractor, with the center on the pivot and the 0oat the string's position during equilibrium.

Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: PPBG on 2013 Feb 14, 19:58:20
Shard followed the instructions of the teacher. He hooked up the thaumerimeter and set it to twenty-four Swirls. Shard checked it with the Fire Ruby, and it was correctly calibrated.

(( And, after that, I understand none of Professor Scroll's instructions.  lol Sorry about my clueless-ness.))
Feather stopped by and smiled.  "Looks like you're doing a good job!  All you need to do to measure the flow now is to use the thaumerimeter that you calibrated and put this tip at increasing increments of distance from the matrix, and record the numbers on the display.  You should have about ten or so readings minimum if you want a good trendline to analyze for the write-up.  And don't worry about finishing the analysis and conlcusion today, you've got plenty of time and you can turn in the report next session."

Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 14, 22:54:35
((Does a reading of 101.2 Thaum at 0cm, 96.8 at 2cm, 84.1 at 4cm, etc seem like suitable data?
The field would read 0 Thaum at around 10cm.))

Cloudy places the pendulum at the center of the field, the plum-bob on the same horizontal plane as the source.
She note the length of the string then releases the bob, which drifts away from the source. Cloudy measures the angle of the string at the with the protractor, with the center on the pivot and the 0oat the string's position during equilibrium.
((Magic Flow equals the enclosed integral of the Magic Field dotted with the area of the surface through which the field passes, and is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center; at 0cm the distance would be zero and therefore the equation explodes; the Flow is also equal to the amount of Magic inside divided by Clover's Constant))

The professor looks at Cloudy, and chuckles; the mare is almost finished with the lab already, while most of the others are still stuck trying to get enough readings.  She certainly seemed to have a talent in this field.

LostSanity

Mage and Flare now attempted to begin getting their readings of the magical energies with the abacus they had at their station.

Voidwalker

((Oh good, I can use that data set then I'll just have the 0cm value read too high for the Thaumerimeter and extrapolate the line of best fit to meet the origin.))

With the measurements of the field completed, Cloudy moves on to the Poison Joke potion. She struggles with the cork and when it comes free the bottle is jolted slightly, spilling some potion. Cloudy gets some disposable paper towel and wipes up the spill, disposing of the contaminated paper in the magical waste box. She then returns to her experiment. She reads the text-book to check the next step.

((I assume we place the potion within the field in a vessel with no magical influence?))

Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: LostSanity on 2013 Feb 15, 22:54:16
Mage and Flare now attempted to begin getting their readings of the magical energies with the abacus they had at their station.
Feather smiles and nods approvingly at the good readings and the graph.
Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 16, 04:20:05
((Oh good, I can use that data set then I'll just have the 0cm value read too high for the Thaumerimeter and extrapolate the line of best fit to meet the origin.))

With the measurements of the field completed, Cloudy moves on to the Poison Joke potion. She struggles with the cork and when it comes free the bottle is jolted slightly, spilling some potion. Cloudy gets some disposable paper towel and wipes up the spill, disposing of the contaminated paper in the magical waste box. She then returns to her experiment. She reads the text-book to check the next step.

((I assume we place the potion within the field in a vessel with no magical influence?))
((yes, in order to test the reactivity properly))

The professor helped mop up the mess, along with other messes.  The students, careful as they were, occasionally made mistakes, as was to be expected.

LostSanity

Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Feb 16, 19:24:21
The professor helped mop up the mess, along with other messes.  The students, careful as they were, occasionally made mistakes, as was to be expected.

One of the "messes" came from Mage and Flare. Nothing too awful happened. Just a small explosion leaving Mage and Flare with "soot faces."

They both just sweatdropped and blushed briefly before shaking it off and continuing the measurements.

((This is just to indicate that I still don't really understand this. But oh well. It's fun though.  X3 ))

Voidwalker

Cloudy poured the potion into a magically-inactive beaker and places in the center of the field.
She begins taking readings with the thaumerimeter again, starting at 2cm from the field's source after the last set of results showed the reading at the center to be too high for the instrument. The explosion made her jump a bit, focused as she was in her work and she knocked over the pendulum setup. Fortunately it was undamaged in its fall and hadn't disturbed the current experiment, so Cloudy righted it and returned to gathering her final set of data.

Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: LostSanity on 2013 Feb 16, 22:50:42
Quote from: The Wandering Magus on 2013 Feb 16, 19:24:21

One of the "messes" came from Mage and Flare. Nothing too awful happened. Just a small explosion leaving Mage and Flare with "soot faces."

They both just sweatdropped and blushed briefly before shaking it off and continuing the measurements.

((This is just to indicate that I still don't really understand this. But oh well. It's fun though.  X3 ))
Other, less attentive students began chuckling at the explosion, until their own matrix blew up in their faces as well, making the professor sigh as somepony in the corner muttered about geniuses skipping grades.  "Everypony, PLEASE be careful about the equipment, this IS rather expensive stuff here..."
Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 17, 03:32:01
Cloudy poured the potion into a magically-inactive beaker and places in the center of the field.
She begins taking readings with the thaumerimeter again, starting at 2cm from the field's source after the last set of results showed the reading at the center to be too high for the instrument. The explosion made her jump a bit, focused as she was in her work and she knocked over the pendulum setup. Fortunately it was undamaged in its fall and hadn't disturbed the current experiment, so Cloudy righted it and returned to gathering her final set of data.
As expected, given the amount of care the student had given to the experiment, data was very satisfactory, though there was a particular blip in the trendline which reflected the small distraction.  Besides explaining that particular procedural error, the rest of the write-up and analysis should be quite simple for the gifted mare.

Voidwalker

With the necessary data gathered, Cloudy begins cleaning up her bench.
Once all the equipment had been returned to its default state, she raises a hoof to ask a question.

Here are my OCs

The Wandering Magus

Quote from: Voidwalker on 2013 Feb 18, 21:13:25
With the necessary data gathered, Cloudy begins cleaning up her bench.
Once all the equipment had been returned to its default state, she raises a hoof to ask a question.
When the various messes and accidental-on-purpose craters repaired, the professor turned a slightly-more-stressed-than-before smile to the bright student.  "Yes, Cloudy, you have a question?"

LostSanity

Mage and Flare were beginning to get the rest of the readings, being extra careful to not allow anymore explosions.

Voidwalker

"How should we dispose of the poison joke potion?" Cloudy asks the professor.

Here are my OCs

Go Up