Why so much love for voice actors? What about the animators?

Started by dynamite, 2014 Jan 11, 00:54:19

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

dynamite

I mean seriously. I also want to know why whenever I look for the names of the animators in anime or cartoons you it's so hard to find them? Is the top executives keeping underpaid artist students out of the credits so they can't get any sort of credit for their work and that it all belongs to the executives?

In MLP this is just one of the things that puzzled me. Isn't it the animation that really matters? Without them you have no cartoon.

Midnight Breeze

2014 Jan 11, 08:48:02 #1 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 14, 21:57:45 by Midnight Breeze
Are conspiracy theories really neccessary?

The answer is simple: the job of the voice actors is much more personal to us; the viewers, than the job of the animators.

It's hardly a phenomenon unique to MLP. EVERY cartoon and TV show sees the actors getting much more fame and publicity than those who work behind the scenes because we can put a face and personality to them. Contrarily, the animators are just faceless entities.

Aerial Perspective

sibsy gets her due credit, I know she mostly storyboards but that goes to show that "behind the scenes people" can get quite famous if they go for it.  I think a lot of animators are quite happy making quality work and are less focused on fame than actors tend to be. 0:) I know personally I set animation as my career path because I actually ENJOY staying behind the scenes and working in teams of people.  X3Animation is NOT a stable job at all. So just being on a very stable big ticket show like MLP is what all of us hope for, and its more than enough of a reward in itself.  :3

dynamite

Strange because manga artists that hit it big gain fame, wealth and recognition as truly the face behind their work. That's not so much in the U.S apparently.

Night Pony

Manga artists do not need VAs to bring their characters to life while in animations you need one. Also you can have a great animator but if the VA isn't good the character falls flat. And also you can have multiple animators animating one character but you can't have many VAs voicing one character (I'm talking about speech not talking-singing).

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

dynamite

They still own the rights to the anime when they're brought out into the screen

Night Pony

Um...what rights?  o.O Even the creator of MLP:FiM does not have any rights over it. It belongs entirely to the company and it just hires people to work on the show. The people agree to give their work in return for payment.

dynamite

I'm talking about the politics and how the animators aren't as glorified here which I find http://forum.legendsofequestria.com/index.php?topic=2470.0">Read the forum rules.ed up. That is the case for all the cartoons on the U.S.

Night Pony

Fame is not something you have a right to. If they really wanted to be famous or something, they can always announce that they animate for X show. If the fandom of said show was interested in animators they will find them. It all boils down in what people are interested.

dynamite

Fame is important to be recruited and hired for other studios. And animators deserve some ego they earned it.

Night Pony

No, skill is required. If you hire someone only on good feedback instead of checking what his skills are, you can be in for a nasty surprise.
Maybe they have but the world doesn't work like that.

dynamite

Of course there would be a thorough check on their skills. They ask for samples and your accomplishments. And when your name is known for what you have animated, they will have a whole plethora of proof. I feel like you're not getting the point of what I'm concerned about. It's how animators are not given the recognition that is due.

Night Pony

In that line of thought, why the Concept artists famous?  o.O They sketch the entire thing that animators work off. And why the writers aren't famous too? They write the story, the dialogue, everything that happens is a product what they've written. I'm sure that those people also deserve fame and would benefit from being well known.

Midnight Breeze

2014 Jan 12, 08:28:30 #13 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 12, 11:45:18 by Midnight Breeze
Quote from: dynamite on 2014 Jan 12, 06:02:45
Of course there would be a thorough check on their skills. They ask for samples and your accomplishments. And when your name is known for what you have animated, they will have a whole plethora of proof. I feel like you're not getting the point of what I'm concerned about. It's how animators are not given the recognition that is due.

There's these things called resumes.

Your insistence that animators deserve fame is pretty weak. There are plenty of people who do much more important things that get less fame.

Quick, name one scientist currently researching AIDS vaccines. Can you name one engineer trying to invent a flying car? Or one evolutionary biologist trying to discover how life began?

dynamite

How is it weak? Scientists and other technicians get into big fusses over their names not put into a line of research they have been a part of. I know I've seen it happen before. Having your name put into what you collaborated in is very important for your career. Otherwise what proof do you have that you have done it?

No one that knows about animation would immediately name Tara Strong as a voice actor. I didn't know who that was until I got into MLP to began with. What kind of question was that?

And how I knew Tara Strong over any of the animators is because she is raised up by Bronies on a pedestal. I have nothing against that but that's why I'm here to ask why animators aren't given some kind of recognition by the Brony community?

Quote from: Night Pony on 2014 Jan 12, 06:13:34
In that line of thought, why the Concept artists famous?  o.O They sketch the entire thing that animators work off. And why the writers aren't famous too? They write the story, the dialogue, everything that happens is a product what they've written. I'm sure that those people also deserve fame and would benefit from being well known.

I would agree but then again writers are more noticed when we're talking about books. In a cartoon the animation would be an important feature right?

Night Pony

A cartoon is not just animating stuff. You first have to create them, create a rough visual, create the final puppet, animate said puppet and voice it. You're asking why the guys animating aren't getting fame, which is very different from getting credit for their work. Nobody is saying that they haven't worked on MLP. They will/have the work in their resumes and I very much doubt Hasbro would deny that they ever worked.

If you go on the MLP:FiM wikia you can check the credits for the different production spans. You will see that you have tons of animators,animator directors, BG artist, colour artist and etc. This whole discussion is about why the animators don't get more fame instead of the others.

In summary: Why the animators don't get fame for animating a show?
Because people aren't interested in animating. Good animation is appreciated but roles such as Voicing a character can make or brake the entire thing.

dynamite

Why is voice acting making or breaking it? Bronies are always pointing out animation/art errors with such zeal, I would say animation is something Bronies care a whole deal about. In fact I have a belief that Bronies loved the art of the show because it was a nice template to start to expand their art skills.

Night Pony

Because shows could have basic animation but if it's interesting and believable it's enjoyable. I'm not talking about MLP but cartoons in general.
Some are interested in animation and point out the errors. Some are interested in the story and make reviews or write. Some like voice acting and focus how believable they sound. Some are into art and would love to see CA but they don't post it.
You can't go into something and expect everyone to be the same and like everything the equally.

GoldenTerrabyte

More than either of those, I think more about the writers. They're the ones who come up with all the great stories.
I'm back

Dragnmastralex

a more direct explanation is that the voice actors as in all acting embody the very characters we know and love and thus get more attention.  They bring the characters to life and bring a bit of their own personality to the role. Just as in any movie or tv series its always the actors that get the most attention over the rest of the cast and crew.  They bring the stories to life by becoming the characters that we love and hate. if it was done with puppets and subtitles without voices it wouldn't be as special now would it?
[/center]

Go Up