Dumb things that annoy you

Started by Zaner-Boy, 2012 Jun 01, 14:30:22

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Greyscaleisme

1. Writers block. It sucks.

2. Artists Block. It also sucks.

3. My mom is making this ridiculous new rule in our house where we have to read for one hour to get thirty mins of phone/computer time. She says she's doing it to make sure we read this summer, but she seems to forget that practically all I do in summer is read. So, to recap, my mom has taken the one untainted thing that I can enjoy, and turn it into something I absolutely loath.. Nice going mom...
'Cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2015 Jun 05, 23:04:37
1. Writers block. It sucks.

2. Artists Block. It also sucks.

3. My mom is making this ridiculous new rule in our house where we have to read for one hour to get thirty mins of phone/computer time. She says she's doing it to make sure we read this summer, but she seems to forget that practically all I do in summer is read. So, to recap, my mom has taken the one untainted thing that I can enjoy, and turn it into something I absolutely loath.. Nice going mom...

"I don't pay attention to what you do, so I think you're not doing it! ovO"
And why do so many adults not realize that forcing kids to read is what makes them hate reading? I liked reading when I was a kid, but then elementary and middle school were like "If you don't wanna fail your class, you have to read." It went from being a fun activity where I could experience a cool story with interesting characters, to being work. When you turn something fun into work, people don't wanna do it anymore.

When I got to the end of middle school, there were two things that made me excited to start high school:
1. That I would finallyyyy get to wear what I wanted!! No more "Choose from these three colors of collared shirts and these two colors for slacks, shorts, or skirts. Tuck your shirt in and wear a black or brown belt. Your shirt and jacket can't have a symbol larger than a quarter coin. Shirts have to be a solid color, not striped, blablablablah"
2. No more Accelerated Reading program! Finally, no one would be forcing me to read! Freedom after all those years!

I haven't read books in a while, and my mom has come up and started trying to get me into books that she likes that I have zero interest in. :l Look, if you want me to read so badly, fine, but stop shoving your books at me. I'll read our Charlie Bone books. Okay? At least I know those are actually interesting.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Sweet Brew

Spoiler: A rather long rant from me... hehe • show
[quote author=Greyscaleisme link=topic=2523.msg921479#msg921479 date=1433559877]My mom is making this ridiculous new rule in our house where we have to read for one hour to get thirty mins of phone/computer time. She says she's doing it to make sure we read this summer, but she seems to forget that practically all I do in summer is read. So, to recap, my mom has taken the one untainted thing that I can enjoy, and turn it into something I absolutely loath.. Nice going mom...
[/quote][quote author=Chishio Kunrin link=topic=2523.msg921482#msg921482 date=1433563476]
"I don't pay attention to what you do, so I think you're not doing it! ovO"
And why do so many adults not realize that forcing kids to read is what makes them hate reading? I liked reading when I was a kid[/quote]
Oh gosh yes!
I used to love reading, but I'd end up reading through a whole book series...then my Mom says "I'm going to take your nintendo away, you're not reading enough!"
For one...it's called a DS/3DS, not a 'Nintendo'.
Secondly, you don't ever see me read 'cause of reasons! >:O

I'm not going to go into detail as to why due to personal stuff, but this just really gets me angry and hurts me when people do this to me.

"Could you at least acknowledge that I did something?"

I mean, I went from a kid who wants to read through the whole Chronicles of Narnia (I know it's pretty shout, but whatever) to someone who barely keeps up with his Skype now...

It breaks my heart to see something I love get turned to work...
My Mom almost did that with my art, but I cut the rope there and just stopped showing her my stuff 'cause she'd turn it into work.

It's why I don't do requests, it turns something relaxing and fun into work...
Though if I say I'll do a request I get it done, sometimes it takes time to get inspiration though...not exactly fair to the person, but it's better than giving them a half flanked piece of work.

Just please... can the world just give me a break? I know it's said to be a cold cruel place...but this is ridiculous , and I haven't even gotten a job or moved out yet...
I just hope it's better than this... *Sigh*

Midnight Breeze

Why is GTA online full of prepubescent children? It's an M rated game, for God's sake!

Part of me loathes the fact that it's so impossible to get a heist together with a group of adults, but the other part of me reminds myself that I played GTA 3 when I was 12, so I haven't much room to talk.

Nightshade Star

Quote from: Greyscaleisme on 2015 Jun 05, 23:04:37
My mom is making this ridiculous new rule in our house where we have to read for one hour to get thirty mins of phone/computer time. She says she's doing it to make sure we read this summer, but she seems to forget that practically all I do in summer is read. So, to recap, my mom has taken the one untainted thing that I can enjoy, and turn it into something I absolutely loath.. Nice going mom...

That is the same for me. that's why I wake up in the morning without anyone noticing.

Julius

Yesterday was horrible. I was able to make myself feel better though, but I had to stay up until five in the morning to achieve that and now I'm super tired... X3
Purr~

Stardust Dragon

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Jun 06, 00:04:36
And why do so many adults not realize that forcing kids to read is what makes them hate reading? I liked reading when I was a kid, but then elementary and middle school were like "If you don't wanna fail your class, you have to read." It went from being a fun activity where I could experience a cool story with interesting characters, to being work. When you turn something fun into work, people don't wanna do it anymore.

And this is why I'm considering rereading a few books from high school: reading for comprehension was a chore, something I hated to do, but reading to hear the story is so much better.  It's the same logic that is making my viola call to me again...though not loud enough just yet, since I still have yet to pick it up.   X3

The usual idea is to turn work into something that is fun: that is how to get kids interested in something.  Has no one seen Mary Poppins?  :s

Randam Saiko

How the only way to shut some people up is to take the topic and catapulting it far beyond the fence of "ok" and have it land in the wastelands of "Inhumanely disturbing."

Emit, you mischievous little...
My OCs

MarshyMellow

I wanted to get Pianitchi on my Tamagotchi Friends, but I got Coffretchi instead..  >:O

Birds don't just fly they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Midnight Breeze

I've ranted about deregulated energy before, but while shopping for a new energy provider I found TXU has a plan that includes free energy between the hours of 7PM-7AM every night. The base price for the free-nights plan is 13.9 cents per KWH, as compared to the standard plan at 10.1 cents per KWH. So the free nights sounds like a great deal, right? If you're a night owl and spend half your time awake between the free hours then that would cut the price down to about 7cents per KWH?

WRONG! Because that price of 13.9cents per KWH is the projected price you'll pay WITH your free energy already factored into the equation! I'm not sure that's even legal. If it is then it certainly shouldn't be, it's bold-faced deceptive marketing.

You see, this is why I favored centralized utilities. No shopping around, no contracts to worry about, just call the city power company and tell them to turn it on, and pay a flat rate of 11 cents per kilowatt hour with no surprise spikes or hidden fees.

Oh, and that whole 'we charge you extra if you don't use enough energy', yeah, that's some garbage. I can't find a single Texan energy provide that doesn't charge that. I'm one person living in a 700 square-foot apartment. If I use 1000 KWH a month then I'm doing something seriously wrong. I shouldn't be getting punished for being responsible with energy.

Ryo_D_Disk

I just wanted a cat in minecraft why do you hate me mod packs...*cough* wrong rant

Yea people at work are getting stressed out over some major misscomunication about 3 events going on and just because im the one sitting next to the person who is now "dealing with it " im just a target of being shouted at. Fun probaly just as well its me though considering some background tech stuff did have to be done to get things working

Peace Keeper

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jun 07, 23:13:09
Oh, and that whole 'we charge you extra if you don't use enough energy', yeah, that's some garbage.

WHAT THE [what]!? You get hit with a fine for conserving too much? Okay... I thought here in Cali a city was tripping for making you conserve water but doesn't allow you to install Easy turf cause of foundations. This one is even more trippin, dumb, and... I don't know what else to say. Might as well install incadescent light bulbs.
Representing the Element of Peace, my name is Peacekeeper, and I am an Evershade Crusader. I am also a proud member of Chat-o-Landia. My talent is preventing conflict and maintaining order.

MarshyMellow

Whenever I see something that I'd like to buy but I don't have enough money..

If only I had 10 bucks lying around I'd actually get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316263893/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d9_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-3&pf_rd_r=0KX389JBW76R4RD4ESXM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2084660942&pf_rd_i=desktop

Not only that, It'd be nice if I could afford to buy a Tamagotchi again, to.  >.<

Why must I only have like a dollar when the stuff I wanna get cost $20?  :l

So unfair.. >:/

Chishio Kunrin

The fact that some people honestly don't understand why so many of us found the RWBY volume 2 finale to be such a disappointment.
They're like "Hey, it was entertaining and action-y. Why does everyone hate it so much?"

Because they sacrificed plot and logic for cool action that had worse animation quality than the rest of the volume! >:(

I hated it! It was so underwhelming! I've never been so underwhelmed by an awesome action scene! Chapter 11 had left me so hyped and feeling some dread for what was going to happen in the finale, and then the finale just fell flat as a pancake because they decided "Everything is perfectly okay because rule of cool!" Really?!!
Spoiler: Spoilers. Also, a rant. • show
You can't end chapter 11 being all "Oh no, the city is doomed, everyone's in danger, this is scary and doomsday!" and then follow it up with "Nah, everything's cool."

Not to mention that this was their chance!!! This was the crew's chance to actually make the grimm look as dangerous as they keep saying they are! This is what we mean when we say they're doing too much telling and not enough showing! They keep saying "Oh, yes, the grimm, those dangerous, fiendish, soulless monsters that keep humanity trapped behind the walls of four kingdoms" and then when grimm actually show up, a bunch of first-year students take care of the problem like it's a walk in the park!

So, then they have this whole "Grimm are invading the city!" thing and we're like "Awww yeahhh, there's no way RWBY and JNPR can handle this!" But then it has a disappointing lack of tension, which they could've easily remedied by showing civilians in danger out of RWBY and JNPR's reach, due to the massive number of grimm. That would've been alright, if it weren't for the fact that *Starts playing the song Caffeine from the Volume 2 Soundtrack* Team CFVY jumps out of an airship and easily gets rid of the grimm with no problem whatsoever!! Wow! WOWWWW! Maybe I'd be more understanding if Team CFVY are fourth-years, but we don't know what year they're in! And Atlas' army helps take care of the rest.

Atlas' army, I can dismiss. Team CFVY, I cannot. Because there's a big difference between the two:
One is literally an army with armed airships and tons of robots...
the other is a group of four students.

Coco defeated a giant Nevermore and a giant Death Stalker in seconds, whereas it took two teams of four and very specific environmental set-ups to defeat a giant Nevermore and a giant Death Stalker during the initiation in volume 1! I mean, really, what would Team RWBY have done if there weren't pillars to use to make a slingshot, and if there wasn't a cliff to drag the Nevermore up? What would Ruby's plan have been then? And Team JNPR had the advantage of the Death Stalker being unable to reach them, plus the fact that they threw it into a canyon when they were done with it. It took entire teamwork-filled scenes to take those two down in volume 1, and then Coco just effortlessly wins in seconds. Disgusting.

I would call Coco OP if it weren't for her blatant weakness: She has to stand still and she can't turn very fast.

Either way, this display made it look like the kingdom actually would not be in trouble if the grimm invaded. Ever. At all. I am sorely disappointed. They threw everything away for "Let's make a cool action scene and make Team CFVY look totally boss!"

Not to mention the stupid thing they did with the after-credits scene.
Spoiler: More spoilers • show
You can't introduce a mysterious masked woman in chapter 11, and then unmask her in the after-credits scene of chapter 12! What were they thinking?!!

Whether or not I forgive them for this depends on how they'll handle it in volume 3.

But that's beside the point.

The most mind-boggling thing is how we all still love RWBY despite its writing problems. But I dunno how long we'll hold on if they don't improve their writing.

It's like how Sword Art Online started out pretty awesome, but then its bad writing caught up to it, and it went kinda bleh.

Midnight Breeze

I had hoped that summer would be milder in the great plains than the gulf coast.

I was disappointed.

Chishio Kunrin

Just ran into someone who's apparently unfamiliar with the concept of a forum thread and the idea of checking the date on the thread before replying in case it's really old. Like... two years old.

They replied to a thread from 2013, saying that they agree, then replied again stating information that was revealed in 2014, and then proceeded to reply once again saying "Hello??????" and then replied again quoting their second post. It's a forum, dear, not a chat. o.O You're not always going to get an immediate reply.

Midnight Breeze

The idiotic indoctrination of telling kids that the world is theirs for the taking and that anything can be achieved with hard work and dedication has got to stop. It's killing the souls of our youth.

I'm a millennial, like many in my generation I grew up being told that I could be anything I want to be, that I can do anything I set my mind to. It doesn't take long in the real world to realize what an utter fairy tale that worldview is. I had that figured out before I even finished high school. That's why I didn't go to college - I knew that; contrary to what my parents, teachers, and politicians were telling me, an overpriced piece of paper does not guarantee success in life. And I was right. Oh, was I right! Any number of unemployed college grads can tell you that.

Of course, today the very people who instilled this fantasy in our kin have done a complete foot-in-mouth 180. Take my mother for example, her response to the staggering percentage of recent college grads unemployed, or working for minimum wage? "It's their own fault they can't find a job, they should have majored in something more practical. I majored in nursing because I knew this country has a nursing shortage and I would get a job. They should have looked before they leaped."

Oh really, mom? What ever happened to "You can do anything."? What happened to "Follow your dreams."? They were just doing what their parents told them to and pursing a career in what interests them. Weren't you the one who told me "Never let money rule you, do what you love and don't worry about getting rich."? At what point did that turn into "You should have gone into a more lucrative field."? By telling grads they chose the wrong field, you're admitting that what you told us while we were growing - that we can do anything we set our minds to - was a bold-faced lie.

The problem is poor parenting. It's a parent's job to prepare their children for the real world, not set them up for disappointment by keep them in a feel-good fantasy land. And boomer parents totally failed in that department.

Rissian

2015 Jun 10, 06:12:18 #16337 Last Edit: 2015 Jun 10, 06:30:19 by Rissian
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2015 Jun 09, 13:30:19
Spoiler: show
The idiotic indoctrination of telling kids that the world is theirs for the taking and that anything can be achieved with hard work and dedication has got to stop. It's killing the souls of our youth.

I'm a millennial, like many in my generation I grew up being told that I could be anything I want to be, that I can do anything I set my mind to. It doesn't take long in the real world to realize what an utter fairy tale that worldview is. I had that figured out before I even finished high school. That's why I didn't go to college - I knew that; contrary to what my parents, teachers, and politicians were telling me, an overpriced piece of paper does not guarantee success in life. And I was right. Oh, was I right! Any number of unemployed college grads can tell you that.

Of course, today the very people who instilled this fantasy in our kin have done a complete foot-in-mouth 180. Take my mother for example, her response to the staggering percentage of recent college grads unemployed, or working for minimum wage? "It's their own fault they can't find a job, they should have majored in something more practical. I majored in nursing because I knew this country has a nursing shortage and I would get a job. They should have looked before they leaped."

Oh really, mom? What ever happened to "You can do anything."? What happened to "Follow your dreams."? They were just doing what their parents told them to and pursing a career in what interests them. Weren't you the one who told me "Never let money rule you, do what you love and don't worry about getting rich."? At what point did that turn into "You should have gone into a more lucrative field."? By telling grads they chose the wrong field, you're admitting that what you told us while we were growing - that we can do anything we set our minds to - was a bold-faced lie.

The problem is poor parenting. It's a parent's job to prepare their children for the real world, not set them up for disappointment by keep them in a feel-good fantasy land. And boomer parents totally failed in that department.

Midnight I honestly believe that if people want something they shouldn't complain about what it takes to get it and just try and get it, if they're constantly complaining and degrading their view on others it's not going to help them get what they want at all, usually when I see others talk about these kinds of things it's about a job,  their pay, or something else when honestly you can live just fine with a $12-21 an hour job with enough research on what you need. Sure you may not be able to be anything you want but you sure as heck can set proper realistic goals that are in range. Towns and cities are not cheap places to live in, the cost comes from convenience.

People need to research how to get the type of things they want the only thing stopping them is not knowing how to go about it. For instance I'm choosing to buy a place rather than to rent it once I work out what I need to be able to do that, you'll spend far more money on renting than you will on buying. I was taught the same as other kids you can be whatever you want. The thing I applied to that teaching was within realism the only types of things I allow myself to want to be I know are actually possible for me myself to be in this day and age.

Many people believe it's impossible to own land and a house these days so they rent instead, this is just from my perspective as I have no idea what you want to be or do in life. But for me I just want to have a job I can live on, I'm not really picky about it either. Where I live it's possible to buy a house and a small amount of land(About 4-8 acres) with payments of only around $256-300 a month on a loan, that's because I researched the different counties of Missouri and the money per acre required I also researched the cost of the bills I'd likely have and what I need to do to be able to get that loan. The good thing about the areas I researched they're not in the city so I don't have to worry about other issues that can occur from living in the city or renting. You know what my eldest sister pays for rent? $600-700 a month. But she chose the convenience of the city and to rent rather than to own because she's still searching for a specific style of house that she wants she also has a better job than I will have starting out so that option was good for her.

The average cost per acre in central Missouri is $2000 an acre. If I want to get a better price down in southern Missouri it's only $1000 an acre (Depends on the county). That's quite the big change and would knock the loan payment even lower granted it'd be a 10-15 year loan. any less years would cost too much for what my predicted monthly income could handle if I get the job I'm going for since the utility bills would have to be handled carefully. Granted these lands are all determined by the average of the county, one county to another can have vastly different prices.

Now one thing that does annoy me though is parents should not say "If you find a job you love you'll never work a day in your life." Even jobs you love will eventually cause you stress. If a job was meant to be fun it wouldn't be called a job.

This sounds really cliche and cheesey, but Knowing really is half the battle for a lot of things in life. The problem is figuring out what things you need to know then applying them to what you want in life.

MarshyMellow

TFW you're mentally scarred. :-)

Rissian

Freaking spiders man, all of this rain has made them want to enter houses, I just hit one with a 10 pound weight because it was one of the more dangerous ones from the look of it. I don't mind normal ones but I can't stand the venomous ones. :l

Go Up