Times the Mane 6 have gone against their own element?

Started by Midnight Breeze, 2012 Jul 08, 15:05:36

previous topic - next topic

Which pony is the WORST representation of her element?

Twilight Sparkle
2 (4.3%)
Applejack
3 (6.4%)
Pinkie Pie
0 (0%)
Fluttershy
0 (0%)
Rarity
34 (72.3%)
Rainbow Dash
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Go Down

Midnight Breeze

2012 Jul 08, 15:05:36 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 08, 23:20:35 by Midnight Breeze
So, not counting when they were corrupted by Discord, can we name all the times that the ponies have acted against the element that they are supposed to embody near-perfectly?

Anyone see some times that I missed?

Twilight Sparkle

She's difficult because it's hard to define something as 'going against' the element of magic, but..

-Is very closed-minded. Refusing to even consider anything that she can't see or understand. Despite representing the element of magic which is, by definition, an enigma.

Applejack

-Lied to Pinkie about why she and the others were avoiding her.
-Lied about why she wouldn't come back to Ponyville in The Last Roundup.
-Broke a Pinkie promise.

Fluttershy

-Was mean to several ponies and animals throughout Putting Your Hoof Down.
-Beat up Rainbow Dash in Dragon Quest.

Rainbow Dash

-Abandoned two of her best friends in the desert in The Last Roundup, then just got on the train and went home like everything was cool.

Rarity

Oh God, Rarity, where to begin.

-Made Spike dig for gems all day and then gave him ONE for himself.
-Guilt tripped Spike into giving her the fire ruby he'd been nurturing for months.
-Neglected working on Twilight's birthday dress to pursue her own interests.
-Refused to babysit for the cakes for no reason other than she just didn't want to.
-Shamelessly stole the show from Rainbow Dash at The Best Young Flyers Competition.

Pinkie Pie

-Turned into a curmudgeon when Gummy's afterbirthday party didn't go as planned.

Crystal Chaos

2012 Jul 08, 15:09:39 #1 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 08, 15:27:14 by Crystal Chaos
Rarity goes against her element most. Applejack did not break the Pinkie promise, though. She said she'd tell them at breakfast, but not attending does not mean that the promise was broke, merely avoided.

Actually, I don't think AJ ever lied. In Party of One, they were doing construction. They were constructing Pinkie's party! And RD was bringing supplies. Also in Party of One, I think that could be under Pinkie against her element.

Lary

I'm going to have to deny your accusations on Applejack breaking her element.

-In Party of One, she was indeed handling apples. The "construction" was for the decorations. She never lied; she only bended the truth in her favor.
-In The Last Roundup, she did not lie about what she said in the letter; she was going to work another job to produce the money she thought she was going to win in the contest. She just didn't tell them anything about the contest.
-Later on, she said she would tell them everything at breakfast; she did not go to that breakfast and therefore did not have to hold her end of the deal. She even said this to Pinkie's face.

The closest she got to lying was a deleted scene in MMMystery on the Friendship Express, where Applejack DID take a part of the cake; she was just more cautious about it. Unless you are counting that, Applejack did not lie at all throughout the series. She is the only one that truly sticks to her element.

... Which is why she is the most boring of the mane six.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Book Smarts

I would would have to say Applejack, she's lied to her friends a couple times

Rissian

If Pinkie is the element of laughter and or happiness I assumed party of one is her going against her element, but yeah seeing Rarity's list is funny, I'd probably vote on her.

On the other hand Rarity did make clothes for all her friends and didn't deny any of the changes they wanted despite them being bad changes.

Despite Applejack not going against her element often she still has a few other flaws even though they were worked out some in episode 4 with her issues of not accepting help from others when she actually needed help from others, and being straight up stubborn when they wanted to help or tell her she needed help.

Lary

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Jul 08, 15:26:46
Despite Applejack not going against her element often she still has a few other flaws even though they were worked out some in episode 4 with her issues of not accepting help from others when she actually needed help from others, and being straight up stubborn when they wanted to help or tell her she needed help.

It's not a lie if she thinks it's right. She genuinely believed she could do it all by herself. Stubborn, yes. Dishonest? Far from it.
Yes, she has flaws, but they have nothing to do with her element, which is what this topic is about.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Rissian

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 08, 15:47:29
It's not a lie if she thinks it's right. She genuinely believed she could do it all by herself. Stubborn, yes. Dishonest? Far from it.
Yes, she has flaws, but they have nothing to do with her element, which is what this topic is about.

I'd have to watch some of the Applejack episodes again, she gets pretty close to breaking her element in some of them if I recall but fixing it before it ends up that way.

And this is pretty close to lying considering she is actually working on the surprise party in the afternoon.
&feature=player_detailpage#t=301s

Whether she actually picked apples or not in the afternoon is unknown though since she already had multiple carts full, and she was off screen the rest of the episode until pinkie attacks her with the glare of doom.

lurk852

Telling ponies intentionally deceptive half-truths != honesty.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Night Pony

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Iron Girella

it's rarity for sure, because she is the generosity, but her personality makes her go against that, it's unavoidable S:  DD:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dota2bronycommunity]Dota2 Brony Community Steam[/URL]         

Sign by Ritux ~ | Steam | You Tube

Blues-Music

You actually think that they have to live up to their element in the fullest?It would be really boring ,and girly if they did elements to the letter they would also have to live a terrible life due to it honesty will say anything bad as long as its true ,and laughter would laugh at anything even if its a problem with friends the show will also be:
Please take a gift
Thank you you are generous ,and kind there is nopony better than you
with all honesty I like this gift.
And so on also all of them were wrong.
Twilight sparkle
Twilight is only close minded in one episode ,and that is because the pinkie sense is impossible ,and even though pinkie still does it its physically ,and boilogicaly impossible also in future twilight episode twilight looked at every single possibility the bridge ,and cerberus even the dam.

Apple jack
As Lary said she just works her way around lies saying the truth ,but not all of it also imagine if she just spat out everything you asked her?The episode would go like this:
Pinkie:Watcha doing in there?
Applejack:I can't lie we are making you're birthday party.
Pinkie:Really?
Applejack:Yes
Pinkie:yay.
We wouldn't have been able to see pinkies breakdown.

Fluttershy

Mean to several other animals ,and people because of IRON WILL its not her fault thus she never actually went against her element she was just listening to advice.
She beat up rainbowdash?All she did was push her then run from the window((She pushes rainbowdash ,but opens the window gently  lol))

Rainbowdash.
Well duh she had to go get applejack who was about to leave ponyville for a long time.
She had to pick between save a friend from leaving town for a long time or just giving two of her friends rides back home.

Rarity
Spike only wanted one he was also in it to impress rarity he couldn't care less about the gems she was also doing it to make a living.

She saved the day with it she also mentioned how she wanted it twice spike liked rarity so much the gem was worthless.

She tried her best to work on it she HAD to go to those places she could have become popular ponies would have bought more dresses so she can afford average day life.

She doesn't like babysitting so?Babysitting is usually just done for the money ,and the babysitter usually just sits on the phone there is no reason that babysitting is generous.

Showing off has nothing to do with generousity all she did was show her wings off if her element was modesty i'd agree.

Pinkie pie
How is turning insane the opposite of laughter?

Rissian

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jul 09, 02:01:21
Pinkie pie
How is turning insane the opposite of laughter?

You do make a good point insanity isn't really the opposite of laughter, but if you see her corrupted form in season 2, the story writers seem to think her opposite element is anger, which is what I was pointing at though I didn't explain myself correctly, anyways she was pretty angry at the entire group in party of one after she thought they were lying, you would think though that her opposite element would be fear or sadness, but it only seems like anger in season 2's discord episode but I could have examined it wrong.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]t=895s

(PS I don't mind them going against their elements it does make the show more interesting and funny.  :D )

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Jul 08, 15:26:03
I would would have to say Applejack, she's lied to her friends a couple times

Read Lary's post quoted below. Applejack technically has not lied.

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 08, 15:25:26
I'm going to have to deny your accusations on Applejack breaking her element.

-In Party of One, she was indeed handling apples. The "construction" was for the decorations. She never lied; she only bended the truth in her favor.
-In The Last Roundup, she did not lie about what she said in the letter; she was going to work another job to produce the money she thought she was going to win in the contest. She just didn't tell them anything about the contest.
-Later on, she said she would tell them everything at breakfast; she did not go to that breakfast and therefore did not have to hold her end of the deal. She even said this to Pinkie's face.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

SOWTOJ

Rarity is the one to break out of her element the most, and I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows this. Her greed for shiny objects, especially gems, always gets the best of her in any situation. She also isn't outwardly generous very often. In fact, it is seldom. I like Rarity, but she suits her element like a square suits a circular hole.

On the other hand, Applejack and Pinkie Pie keep to their elements pretty much all the time. The only time Applejack lied was when she absolutely had no other choice, and it was to surprise Pinkie Pie. Even then, she had a hard time lying, making it obvious that she really is true to being honest. And aside from not lying, she always gives honest input.  As for Pinkie Pie, she only really broke out of her element once and that was due to a misunderstanding, and her being heartbroken and very saddened by what she thought was the truth. Oddly enough, all in the same episode that AJ had to lie once.

Since I'm babbling, I feel like toss in another pony, Twilight. She's my number 1, but she has failed to utilize her element in so many situations that could have otherwise been easily hurdled. However, the show does seem to be doing a good job of showing her using magic more and more in every situation, so it could just be that she's learning and doesn't always trust the magic herself.

Blues-Music

If Rarity had to uphold her element to the fullest she would give away her life ,her sister ,and everything she owns you guys know they could pretty much kill themselves if they don't break their elements right?The elements aren't that important any its just a season starter hopefully season 3 forgets about them it started boring me >:/

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jul 09, 08:17:28
If Rarity had to uphold her element to the fullest she would give away her life ,her sister ,and everything she owns you guys know they could pretty much kill themselves if they don't break their elements right?The elements aren't that important any its just a season starter hopefully season 3 forgets about them it started boring me >:/

True. I once wrote a thing about how the seven deadly sins are necessary for humans, as long as we commit them in moderation. So, I guess going against their Elements of Harmony is a necessary thing at times, too.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Night Pony

Nopony said that they have to uphold their element all the time.That would be a different discussion.This thread is to see who breaks her element the most.

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Blues-Music

Its not rarity.
Taking items isn't the opposite of generousity.
Hoarding items is the opposite.
All she did was get stuff when somepony wanted something from her she does it if she could.

SOWTOJ

Quote from: Blues-Music on 2012 Jul 09, 08:17:28

I would assume the elements are important, but of course the ones who represent the elements can't possibly be perfect.  I won't say that Rarity does not deserve her element, but this discussion is merely about the times they have broken/gone against their elements. Of the mane 6, Rarity does it the most. I don't believe anyone expects her to give away everything, that would no longer be generous, but foolish.

Still, there are times when she COULD be more generous than what she is, and then of course there are times when she goes beyond what others might do.

Blues-Music

May I remind you all rarity risked her life trying out the high level spell to get to cloudsdale?
QuoteIf its for rainbowdash I will go first.

She was also the one that was persistent to go chear for her.

Go Up