Pirates of the Mareibbean

Started by Gracie Sky, 2013 Jan 29, 20:45:16

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Gracie Sky

Today, I thought I should do something different and open the doors of Pirate Ponies! So far, Pipsqueak is all alone as the only pony we think of when pirates are mentioned. But no more! Here come the Pirates of the Mareibbean!

However, an entire pirate crew is too much of an endeavor for just a single author, so I thought it would be better to get help from all on the forums who are willing to give their most piratey sounding pony names so they can be added to the crew until we got a whole fleet of pirates ready to set their sails for adventure and treasure!

Just like human pirates, there are roles that must be performed by a crew of pirate ponies. These roles should be of great help with figuring out what name you'd like to suggest. The roles include:
-Captain - Leads the crew
-Navigator - Navigates the boat
-Quartermaster - Oversee Captain's orders
-Boatswain - Maintains the boat
-Cooper - Maintains the storage
-Carpenter - Fixes broken stuff
-Doctor - Fixes broken ponies
-Cannonmaster - Fires the Pie Cannons

Note: With the exception of Captain, more than one pony of a role can exist on a ship.

There you have it! Think about the best pirate pony names you can think of and post them down; around 5 would be perfect! If you see that somepony else has taken your idea(s) or you really liked somepony else's idea(s), you can just suggest it again! In fact, the more popular a name is, the more likely they'll be recruited! Try to avoid "ship names" (like Jolly Roger or Black Pearl), since our ships need those names!

Spoiler: My examples • show

Starboard (Navigator)
Salty (Quartermaster)
Swash Buckle (Boatswain)
Peg Leg (Carpenter)
Pinkie Pie (Cannonmaster)
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Bravo 658

Crumbs, the cook!  Keeps the pie cannons (and rightfully ungrateful) crew fueled with his awful cooking! lol

Morning Glory

2013 Jan 29, 21:18:35 #2 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 30, 14:26:07 by Morning Glory
Delightfully unconventional female Sea Scout reporting for duty! In the name and honor of the SSS Vixen I shall supply any and all intel I have.

Spinnaker (by far the coolest kind of sail, and it gets a lot of speed sailing downwind. As a all girl ship the SSS Vixen of course, had a rainbow one)

Scuttlebutt (not actually a rude word, but sailor-speak for gossip or rumors)

Marlinspike (A nifty too used for undoing knots)

Sheep shank (a variety of knot, and a very funny word)

Clipper, Schooner, Sloop, Cutter, and Dinghy are all kinds of boats, Dinghy being my favorite

Shanty Tune (What's a sailor without her shanties!)

Oarlock (Does exactly what you might expect)

Carronade (a small, rail-mounted cannon)

Bilgewater (The bilge is an area where water builds up at the bottom of the boat- famous for being disgusting)

Starboard (obvious, but it still sounds like a good pony name to me- "Right" on a boat [that's right as opposed to left, not "correct"])

That's all that comes off the top of my head. I'll build up more later.

It would be really cute if there was a pair of pirates named Block & Tackle. (That's boat language for pulleys and rope) Twins or something

Gracie Sky

:I How did I forget about the cook!

Well... now that I think about, not too sure if pirates had stoves, or could make fires to cook stuff with...
But somepony has to make those pies! ovO

Morning Glory

A ship without a galley is a sad ship indeed...

Bravo 658

On the bright side, the mass of growling tummies might drive sea monsters away... X3

The Wandering Magus

2013 Jan 30, 14:09:08 #6 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 30, 14:31:23 by The Wandering Magus
Captain Blackhoof, with a black-iron right hoof after it was chopped off in a raid.  Greedy and swarthy and filthy, but looks out for his fellow pirates and can be quite brave, even-tempered and level-headed when the situation calls for it.  Was the bastard son of a pirate from the backwaters of a wretched hive of a port town, but stole himself his first ship as a colt and gained a loyal crew in the following years.  He's not exactly "The Leader", letting the crew decide for themselves what to do or who to raid, but he IS essentially an adopted father to his crew, giving advice and discipline and care to the rag-tag bunch of misfits who probably never had a decent father themselves.

Ghedi "Traveling Geddy" Nadif "Born-between-seasons", Helms-zebra (or Boson) from the southern lands who is very quiet and obeys the Captain but can enter a berserk rage when provoked.  He wields a long scimitar and a dagger with a gem-encrusted hilt: the last remnants of his past life as an outcast noble whose tribe was driven out of their homeland by the Equestrian "East Bhairata Trading Company".  He holds a deep grudge against most well-to-do or "proper" ponies, assuming that they are somehow responsible for his tribe's homelessness.  Overseeing the junior members of the crew as well as steering the ship, he usually only needs a single word in broken Equestrian to keep them in line if there's squabbling.

Qiang "Baggy-Pants" Dao, Cook goat from the far eastern lands and the son of a restaurant-owner whose home and establishment were both taken over by the local Shadow Dragons warlord, who was also working for the "East Bhairata Trading Company".  Became a thief and a swindling congoat, but was still able to earn a decent living with his cooking, and got into the smuggling business when he realized how useful his opaque and heavy vegetable buns could be used to hide illegal goods.  His ship was caught blockade-running when the Equestrian Navy imposed trade sanctions and a blockade on the surrounding area for political reasons, but Captain Blackhoof stormed the blockade and blasted the prison ship the goat was held in; the cook was rescued and instantly hired by the crew, who were getting sick of scurvy and bad food.  He specializes in using a pair of Butterfly Swords that he hides in his loosely tied silk robes.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Gracie Sky

Oh, I might want to point out that a few of the names are a bit too specific. What I mean is, I don't know what the name means with just my basic knowledge. So far, all pony names in the show (Fluttershy, Photo Finish, Blueblood, Soarin, etc) have very easy to figure out names, even if it was a name specific to their profession. Cadence was the only name in the show that popped up that I wasn't immediately aware of the meaning.

So, if I have to ask myself, "What does this name mean?" or you feel that you'd have to provide an explination as to what the name means because we might not know otherwise, you probably should look for a more straightforward name.

>.< Not to try and limit your possibilities or anything. Just thought I should mention it.

The Wandering Magus

I'm taking a cue from the name of canon foreigner Zecora.  Being from other, non-Equestrian speaking lands, the zebra and the goat have decidedly non-Equestrian names, but are given "nicknames" such as "Baggy Pants" or "Traveling Geddy" by their fellows, which really might as well be their Equestrian Names.

Baggy Pants' real name means "Thief", and Traveling Geddy's name means "Traveler born between seasons".

And Blackhoof is, well, Blackhoof.
(sorry Bakasan, chose this image)
Descriptions and art of my OCs here: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=2636
my art: http://legendsofequestria.com/forum/index.php?topic=298
visiting soldier sister, be back 8/12/2013

Go Up