Miki's Pony OC (Cavatina)

Started by Cavatina, 2013 Dec 20, 02:54:50

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Cavatina

Hello friends!  X3 I figured I'd pop on by and post a little biography sheet for my main pony OC, Cavatina. I have about three more, but I rarely use them.

So, yep! Here we go!

Name: Cavatina
Species: Pegasus
Special Talent: Singing

Body Type: Petite in general. She's a little short for her age, and she's fairly lithe.
Mane Color/Style/Length: Her mane is peachy-pink in color, about halfway down her front legs. It's often thrown to the side and tied loosely at the bottom with a silver ribbon. It curls slightly, but only really at the bottom.
Coat Description: Similar to her mane color, but much lighter.
Eye Shape/Color: Her eyes are magenta, and as is shown in the reference picture, are similar to Fluttershy's.
Accessories: Her silver ribbon. She has a few of them (identical), but if she loses one, she mopes around for days.
Cutie Mark: A winged eighth note, silver in color.

Personality: Though she may seem shy and somber at first, Cavatina's actually very easily excited, and she's pretty enthusiastic. Sometimes she can be a little sarcastic and deadpan, but for the most part, she's a bubbly filly with a love for music. She hopes to one day (after visiting Cloudsdale, of course) go to Canterlot and fit in with the high society, and wear pretty dresses (and most likely become an opera singer). She's also a bit of a hopeless romantic.
Strengths: She's upbeat, optimistic, accepting of almost anyone (and willing to give the benefit of the doubt), and she's pretty resilient with a taste for adventure.
Flaws: Still a bit too childish, and has trouble taking things seriously. She's prone to whining, and she's easily bored, along with being much too curious for her own good. Physically, she can't fly very well, if at all.
Hobbies: Singing, dancing, daydreaming, and playing dress-up.

Hometown: Cloudsdale
Current Residence: Dodge Junction
History: At a young age, Cavatina was taken by her brother from Cloudsdale to Dodge Junction (for reasons that he's never properly explained). It was around this time that her parents disappeared, as far she can tell. It's never bothered her particularly, but living in Dodge Junction hasn't exactly been her cup of tea. She never got to go to flight school, and a bunch of dirt and sand has never exactly been her idea of fun. At this age, she delivers mail.
Family: Her big brother, Arpeggio. He does a lot of odd jobs, along with working shifts at the saloon in town.
Friends: None, really. She has a pen pal in Ponyville, but that's about it.
Pets: None.
Other: Her tumblr URL is soaringsilvernotes, if you want a surefire way of contacting her for RP.

GalvinRoe

Absolutely marvelous! ANOTHER pony that isn't OP and is actually a decent creature that could exist in a normal pony environment!!! That makes 2 in as many days.  Love your bio Cava, no I'm not being sarcastic I'm generally amazed by the number of 'normal' ponies that have joined us recently. Let's just say . . . well I'll let you browse the OC board lol.

Beautiful! I was saying to Valy Wave Just the other day that I was thinking of making an RP for normal ponies. And if you would be interested in such a thing. I think I might have incentive to make one. Two regular ponies! We can count myself as a third and I may be able to dig up another somewhere, I'm sure I could.

But forgive me, I pop on your OC page and say very little about your character XD. Love the personality, hilarious, adorable, and comic all wrapped into a believable package. Not to mention a realistic or semi-realistic (depending on her voice XD) and romantic life-goal that should keep her at least partially motivated to continue through a few hardships XD. Precise and direct; I certainly come away feeling like I know what I need to for this character. Something I honestly cannot comprehend for my characters as I always have to have five layers of plot pried off them  lol. I could learn something about your direct approach here, a lesson I always seem to shirk, sadly.

I'd like to hear a little more about her past (but then I ALWAYS would like to hear a little more about her past situations) and how they have affected her in more detail, but that certainly comes up in RP scenarios.

All in all, I'm happy to see you here and really do hope you'll enjoy your time on these forums.

Cavatina

Eeee, thanks so much!  ^-^ I'm really glad that somebody likes her! I was hoping very much so that she wasn't too over-the-top!

I'm honestly partial to 'normal' ponies, mostly because they're just so versatile and easy to work with. As tempting as it always is to make an alicorn.  X3

I really don't know what to say other than to thank you so much for your kind words!

The one thing that might be a little iffy, however, is that I imagine her to sound like Katherine Jenkins, which is a little odd considering that somepony like her teensy-tiny self would probably have a higher-pitched voice.  -.-

As for her past, I intentionally left it vague so it'd be easier to fit into different roleplays. I typically go by just what she remembers, because my original idea was painfully grimdark and not at all what the rest of her is.  ovO

Gracie Sky

Cavatina is a very adorable and fundamentally simple character. As Galvin stated, it's a relief that she isn't overwhelmingly powerful, or has a complex/unoriginal backstory.

With that said, I will note a nearly excessive amount of pale bright colors, all sharing that peachy pink shade. You may be attempting "shamelessly cute", although that may be what you are going for, which is no problem as long as you are careful.

There's one thing I think you could do to really bring out her character. Right now, I find most of the descriptions of her to be useful, but too broad as a whole. There are two things you should really expound on, as they are more of the defining characteristics of Cavatina. The first is her ribbon(s). I would love to hear more about how she got into ribbons or perhaps something exploring exactly how into ribbons she is. The second is her special talent, singing. How did she aquire her cutie mark? How good at singing is she? How do others view her singing? Unless there is a reason you can't divulge a bit on her special talent, I recommend going into some depth about it.

I do appreciate you deliberately giving her a bit of mystery about her past. That allows her more room for development, which is always a plus.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Cavatina

Thanks so much for the feedback!

You've definitely got a point with the pastel colors. I've thought of changing her palette, but at this point she's so well-known among my friends with that palette that changing it now would be a little jarring. As for the "shamelessly cute" bit, you also have a point. When I first made her, that actually was what I was going for, but as her character has developed personality-wise, it's sort of just gotten stuck as how it is.

You also have some excellent points with the ribbons and cutie marks! Both are things that I haven't really actually put that much thought into, which is kind of a shame. I mean, I've thought of the ribbon story, but the cutie mark story never actually even crossed my mind. Woops.  X3 That's definitely something I'll have to work on, and probably shove back up on here once I've come up with it.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback!

dynamite

2014 Jan 11, 04:37:28 #5 Last Edit: 2014 Jan 11, 04:41:18 by dynamite
Quote from: Gracie Sky on 2013 Dec 22, 06:24:34
Cavatina is a very adorable and fundamentally simple character. As Galvin stated, it's a relief that she isn't overwhelmingly powerful, or has a complex/unoriginal backstory.

With that said, I will note a nearly excessive amount of pale bright colors, all sharing that peachy pink shade. You may be attempting "shamelessly cute", although that may be what you are going for, which is no problem as long as you are careful.

There's one thing I think you could do to really bring out her character. Right now, I find most of the descriptions of her to be useful, but too broad as a whole. There are two things you should really expound on, as they are more of the defining characteristics of Cavatina. The first is her ribbon(s). I would love to hear more about how she got into ribbons or perhaps something exploring exactly how into ribbons she is. The second is her special talent, singing. How did she aquire her cutie mark? How good at singing is she? How do others view her singing? Unless there is a reason you can't divulge a bit on her special talent, I recommend going into some depth about it.

I do appreciate you deliberately giving her a bit of mystery about her past. That allows her more room for development, which is always a plus.

Shamelessly adorable is something that is along the lines of MLP lore.  :]

The ribbon thing is a nice quirk that can spring some interesting adventures.

What program did you use to draw her?

Cavatina

Aw, thanks!

I actually didn't draw her, but my friend did a vector of her in Photoshop, which is the picture you're seeing.

Shadow Mare

Quote from: Cavatina on 2014 Jan 12, 22:50:17

Aw, thanks!

I actually didn't draw her, but my friend did a vector of her in Photoshop, which is the picture you're seeing.

Isn't that a fluttershy altered vetor?

Cavatina

Isn't that a fluttershy altered vetor?
[/quote]

Yep!

GoldenTerrabyte

I'm back

Go Up