Tough World for Bronies

Started by HerpyDooves, 2013 May 09, 06:43:42

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Natsu on 2013 May 28, 19:33:10
While all this is greatest of news, it honestly depends on your area.

Bronies are great, yeah, but I simply don't have the required...I guess, assurance to wear a shirt with a multi-colored horse on it. 

You could simply wear a shirt with a pony on it, without captions, and nobody would really bother you.  To them, It's like seeing people with those stupid adventure-time hats.

But putting something like "BROHOOF" on captions would get you shunned by most individuals. Keep in mind, 'it honestly depends on your area.'

I wouldn't ever use the word confidence, because when it comes to bravery; I'm at the top. I'd rather be a normal human being than become a martyr for a year or three lasting fandom.

But hey, Hooves, great job! I'm happy to see you weren't clobbered by malevolent individuals wearing swag, yolo and possibly call of duty T-shirts(Though the cod fans are really all talk no horn).

For some people, bronies are challenging gender stereotypes, almost like some kind of revolution. Women have gotten to fight and break gender stereotypes, but men are still trapped, adhering to stereotypes of what is deemed masculine, for fear of being mocked for being too "girly" or feminine. Some bronies go all out displaying that they're proud of being a brony and unafraid of being thought of as too feminine just for watching an entertaining cartoon.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Midnight Breeze

All this talk of supposed violence against bronies boggles my mind. Where I come from people don't get beat up for being different or having a niche interest. Sure, you might get laughed at or made fun of, but nobody would ever put hands on you for; God forbid, wearing a T-shirt with a pony on it.

I've never been shy about being a brony. Ever. My whole family knows, all my co-workers know. Have any of them given me a single cross word or distanced themselves from me? Because they're my friends. They aren't going to think less of me because I like a certain show.

I wear pony shirts in public all the time. Has anyone ever called me out, laughed in my face, or stared at me? No. Because people mind their own business where I'm from.

That said, I wasn't a brony in high school. I could see it being a different story then. Of course, that would have been a non-issue for me anyway, since the only public high school in my parish had mandatory school uniforms.

Flamestriker

We can't wear T-shirts of ponies to school. Uniform policy.  :l

But I wish I had a pony T-shirt. I don't have one.  :'(
[move][/move]

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 May 28, 23:31:25
All this talk of supposed violence against bronies boggles my mind. Where I come from people don't get beat up for being different or having a niche interest. Sure, you might get laughed at or made fun of, but nobody would ever put hands on you for; God forbid, wearing a T-shirt with a pony on it.

I've never been shy about being a brony. Ever. My whole family knows, all my co-workers know. Have any of them given me a single cross word or distanced themselves from me? Because they're my friends. They aren't going to think less of me because I like a certain show.

I wear pony shirts in public all the time. Has anyone ever called me out, laughed in my face, or stared at me? No. Because people mind their own business where I'm from.

That said, I wasn't a brony in high school. I could see it being a different story then. Of course, that would have been a non-issue for me anyway, since the only public high school in my parish had mandatory school uniforms.

I honestly have no idea how it's handled in my town, let alone the high school I went to. That school was pretty insane.

Lord of Madness

I wear my shirt everywhere :P

ComputerDeathglare

By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Cotton Ball

Herpy my plan is a work in progress I've used it before, but I have to make my plan more complex.
[move][/move]
Don't be a salad, be the best broccoli you could ever be.

Spencer the Pegasus Guard

I need to get me some more brony merch. I got RD sunglasses and a random blindbag pony of Mrs. Cake. I want to buy pretty much all the brony stuff at Hot Topic. All of it. None left.
I have a Tin Foil hat....I am 100 percent okay with this.

Natsu

2013 May 29, 15:14:49 #28 Last Edit: 2013 May 29, 15:17:36 by Natsu
Quote from: Midnight Breeze on 2013 May 28, 23:31:25
No. Because people mind their own business where I'm from.

I wish that was the case around here. The stereotype generalization is strong here, so there is my excuse.

Just happy to see other people can get along well, and be proud of themselves.

ComputerDeathglare

Quote from: Cotton Ball on 2013 May 29, 04:10:08
Herpy my plan is a work in progress I've used it before, but I have to make my plan more complex.

Well, what is it?!
By Sulfur

dA
Tumblr (SFW)

Cotton Ball

Well they always be quiet if i tell them about the bronies (u know the adult men and grown women)
[move][/move]

Spencer the Pegasus Guard

I've watched some episodes in the library at my school. I got called out on it once but I talked him down. I live in the South so you can get a pretty good idea what most bronies down here go through. Surpisingly, I've been very open about it and people don't really care that much.
I have a Tin Foil hat....I am 100 percent okay with this.

Cotton Ball

^^ Exactly what I'm sayin
[move][/move]

Silverweed

First time I wore a MLP t-shirt at university, a friend of mine said: "D*mn brony...well, at least you're not a furry."   :/

(and a little time later I actually became one, too  lol)

deviantART is magic
/!\ FIY: I sleep from 3 PM to 1 AM...curse you, time zones!

derpydiscordsketcher

Omg, I get a lot of crap for being a pegasister, I'd NEVER have the courage to run around with a brony shirt  :c

Jack_Daft

2013 Jul 09, 14:53:53 #35 Last Edit: 2013 Jul 09, 14:55:49 by Jack_Daft
I'm totally being "that guy" right now and I apologize in advance, but why is this topic a thing?  We're talking about admitting an admiration for a children's cartoon show, not coming out of the closet for being gay.  I'm a bit perplexed by the pre-meditated thought and concern for admitting you're in a generally harmless subculture.  You're not getting assaulted physically, you're not getting rocks thrown at you, you're not being disbarred employment, education, nor are you getting ostracized to the point where most people suffer depression and at worst suicide.   /rant

Anyways, not to derail, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a Brony of sorts, but I do love the show and such.  For some time I had a blue plastic mold Rainbow Dash keychain and I have a Rainbow Dash sticker on my clipboard for work.  No one commented rudely about either, and if anything a registered nurse at a hospital ER I was giving report to noticed my RD keychain, thought it was cute, and said she watched the show before.

For the most part, my interactions with others who don't know/understand MLP:FiM are as follows:

:P : My Little Pony?  Isn't that some kid's show?
:] : Yeah, it's quite alright.  It's on Netflix and it's actually a pretty decent cartoon.  Give it a shot.
:P : Eh, okay then.  Whatever.

At the end of the day, as long as you're not hurting yourself or others, there's nothing wrong for liking ponies.

LoE: Bucky Geldin
Level 1 Sugarcane Farmer Earf Pony

a Pegasus Pony

Seems like  almost everyone has had a positive experience. And I'm glad to hear that ^^

First time I wore my brony shirt I got weird looks but people didn't think I was gay or a little girl or anything. In all honesty they were quite fascinated by it and I even got a couple of request to draw groups as ponies XD I was ridiculed by one group but being on the JV Football team evened it out I guess. Still was nice to meet others who aren't so incompetent.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Jack_Daft on 2013 Jul 09, 14:53:53
I'm totally being "that guy" right now and I apologize in advance, but why is this topic a thing?  We're talking about admitting an admiration for a children's cartoon show, not coming out of the closet for being gay.  I'm a bit perplexed by the pre-meditated thought and concern for admitting you're in a generally harmless subculture.  You're not getting assaulted physically, you're not getting rocks thrown at you, you're not being disbarred employment, education, nor are you getting ostracized to the point where most people suffer depression and at worst suicide.   /rant

Anyways, not to derail, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a Brony of sorts, but I do love the show and such.  For some time I had a blue plastic mold Rainbow Dash keychain and I have a Rainbow Dash sticker on my clipboard for work.  No one commented rudely about either, and if anything a registered nurse at a hospital ER I was giving report to noticed my RD keychain, thought it was cute, and said she watched the show before.

For the most part, my interactions with others who don't know/understand MLP:FiM are as follows:

:P : My Little Pony?  Isn't that some kid's show?
:] : Yeah, it's quite alright.  It's on Netflix and it's actually a pretty decent cartoon.  Give it a shot.
:P : Eh, okay then.  Whatever.

At the end of the day, as long as you're not hurting yourself or others, there's nothing wrong for liking ponies.

I've heard of some people being bullied for being bronies. I've also heard of a few actually being physically bullied for it.
There are a lot of people who just don't like bronies and even hate us. I know a woman who knows about bronies, owns a Rainbow Dash keychain, but refused to take her daughter to see Equestria Girls in theaters because she knew there'd be a lot of bronies there.

HerpyDooves

Some people just ADORE the show, but don't like the fandom. My sister even watches the show (for 5 months), and hasn't ever even heard of the word 'Brony'.

I didn't dare tell her about the fandom, though. I like the fandom, but trust me, it's the show that doesn't let the fandom overrun me. Once the show ends, I'm done with the fandom.

Jack_Daft

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jul 09, 22:04:11

I've heard of some people being bullied for being bronies. I've also heard of a few actually being physically bullied for it.
There are a lot of people who just don't like bronies and even hate us. I know a woman who knows about bronies, owns a Rainbow Dash keychain, but refused to take her daughter to see Equestria Girls in theaters because she knew there'd be a lot of bronies there.

I suppose I'm ignorant in the going ons in the Brony fandom but the simple fact that people are getting physically beaten by identifying themselves as a fan of a TV show is absurd to me, but nonetheless bullying is quite awful and I'm sorry for those who have been harassed for being a Brony.  :c

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Jul 09, 22:04:11
I know a woman who knows about bronies, owns a Rainbow Dash keychain, but refused to take her daughter to see Equestria Girls in theaters because she knew there'd be a lot of bronies there.

Well, most normal people are going to think a bunch of nerdy teenage and twenty something guys and girls watching a show about cartoon ponies is off the norm.  There are some awful, disgusting bronies out there which happen to be a (vocal) minority and I'm sorry it is this way.

Since I've meandered here onto LoE, I can't say I've met an awful brony yet.  You've all been pretty great.  :]

LoE: Bucky Geldin
Level 1 Sugarcane Farmer Earf Pony

Go Up