Started by Lucien, 2012 Aug 04, 10:45:01

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lucien

2012 Aug 04, 10:45:01 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 11, 11:39:08 by Lucien
What I am

Name: Bright Sword

Race: Unicorn

Personality: Tries to be as humorous as possible, no matter how serious the situation. He has a slight cynical streak.

Equipment: A foil, sheathed on the left flank.

Weakness: Often becomes overconfident and often underestimates.

Current Residence: Everfree Forest

Cutie Mark: Two interlocking foils.

Abilities: Wields a sword with magic. Can basically do anything with the sword.

Theme Song:
Spoiler: show

Born in Canterlot, Bright Hat was raised by two snooty parents who's only interest was making him look the best. Bright Hat, however, was a unicorn, and could not stand not being able to try his magic. Not that he didn't enjoy the formal clothing he was given. But he was dying to see what kind of magical talent he had. So he left Canterlot the moment he was allowed to, and made residence in the Everfree forest.

At this time, Bright Hat was around 8 years old, and had yet to find his Cutie Mark. He had gone after a few psychic unicorns to see what his talent would be, but they saw nothing. He went back to his home in Everfree Forest, where another unicorn seemed to be waiting for him.

"Who are you?"
"Why does it matter? You're not leaving." At this time the other pony pulled out a foil. Bright Hat ran into his house and found an old silver foil he bought out of the Canterlot Armory just in case something like that happened. Obviously this other pony had chased him inside, where they met, swords crossed. They fought for a good ten minutes before the other pony started tiring out. At this opportunity Bright Hat knocked the sword out of the unicorn's magic, and held the unicorn in his own magic, and took him outside his house. The other unicorn laughed and said "You have talent. And I don't think you're a blank flank anymore."

The moment he looked down at his flank, astounded to see two interlocking swords, the unicorn teleported away.

After he found out, he immediately left his house again to legally change his name from Bright Hat to Bright Sword.

NOTES: He keeps to himself most of the time, and is also very talented at magic. He always keeps the foil in a sheath on his left flank.

1 more note: This is my first OC.
Starting anew. I am a musician. My past here means nothing.

Gracie Sky

Now that I look at it, that tuxedo, cape, and top hat can make a colt look quite elegant. Befitting of a Canterlot pony, I suppose.

And a pony who specializes in swordplay... Very interesting... although I was never really sure about swords in Equestria. Now if it were Fencing, that would be a little closer to something I could see in Canterlot in particular, seeing how high society enjoy those sort of activities... but then again, this pony didn't particularly want anything to do with high society...
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Lucien

He just happened to take the sword with him to Everfree forest, in case he might need it.

He needed it, and found he had a talent for it.

Morning Glory

There is definitely at least fencing in Equestria. We see Applebloom fencing in the Cutie Pox episode. It is part of a gag, but it shows there is fencing, even in little old Ponyville.

We also see Pipsqueak wearing a fake sword as part of his pirate costume for Nightmare Night in Luna Eclipsed. So it seems pony pirates have swords. Although I doubt the artists really were trying to convey that swords exist in Equestria- they were just dressing him like a human pirate.

Still, there is evidence.

Although how anypony but a unicorn would be able to wield it effectively is a mystery to me...looks like Applebloom has it magnetically attached to her hoof.

Anyways, I like this OC. For a start, he looks to have a nice, neutral color palette. Though I have no problems with the candy-colored variety of pony, it's nice to see something different. His story is exciting and compelling, although I'd like to know who that unicorn was and what they were doing at his house...And the name change was a little...abrupt, but it works I guess. I kind of though Bright Hat was cute. Well done on your first OC.

Lucien

2012 Aug 05, 10:35:08 #4 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 05, 22:27:05 by Lucien
My mind was like, "They couldn't have named him Bright Sword if they didn't even know he had a talent for that kind of thing."

And how to wield the sword? Magic. That's why I had to make the mystery pony a unicorn.

And I don't know why I did the whole mystery pony thing, but there really aren't very many BAD ponies in Equestria that I could name, so..

EDIT: Also note that the name Lucien actually means Bright, where I got the name. I chose that because I haven't seen enough OC's here that use actual names (Andrew, Stephen, Paul, etc etc).

Gracie Sky

I like how you considered his name before and after his cutie mark. This is normally a detail most authors overlook when naming their OC specifically after the OC's cutie mark, as though they were predicting this pony was destined to be good at this. I've always supported the idea that certain ponies change their names at certain points in their lives to something that more appropriately reflects who they are. Of course, however, with some creativity, an author can create an adaptive name that symbolizes who they are or may become.

-With a name like "Wood Chop", a pony would be condemned to be a lumberjack, despite the nature of cutie marks being based on the pony's undiscovered natural talent.

-Perhaps this pony changed his name to "Wood Chop" after learning he had a knack for cutting trees. Of course, that unfortunately undermines the name given to him by his parents.

-Using a more versatile name, such as "Fletcher" or "Maple" (for mares), the same pony seems to have a strong affinity or lineage with trees, but nothing specific. While it does limit what the pony can be, it opens up a great many more options. Besides, a pony growing up in the forest probably won't become a master Ice Skater.
Character Critique Thread

Have your OC fairly and honestly evaluated!

Go Up