Season 5 Discussion

Started by Weatherboy1, 2014 Jan 31, 19:17:56

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dawnstar

2015 Apr 26, 00:51:31 #80 Last Edit: 2015 Apr 26, 00:56:03 by Dawnstar
Lots of favorites in today's episode for me. New favorite episode with new favorite song for my already favorite pony showing the more vulnerable, emotional side of her personality that she hides behind that arrogant, abrasive, tough-girl attitude of hers.

And before anyone says anything, Dash was my favorite pony the instant she was introduced. Which was months before I even knew the fandom existed. I freaking adore characters like her.

Anyway, incoming massive wall of spoilers that I've tried to section off a little.
Spoiler: Episode Start • show

I guess I should have figured that Cloudsdale could move seeing as it's floating and all, but I still have to say that is really cool. Guess moving the city across Equestria makes setting up winter a whole lot easier for the ponies.

Spoiler: Denial & Anger • show

And then we have the realization that Tank needs to hibernate hitting Dash like a ton of bricks which she of course doesn't take very well.

The idea of Tank leaving her, even if for only a few months, hurts her bad. Honestly, I'd say Tank might actually be closer to her than her friends are. We've already seen her show a special affection for him when she thinks nopony's looking, and she probably talks to him about all sorts of stuff that she wouldn't normally tell anypony else.

Tank's basically a security blanket for her, and that security blanket's being taken away from her. Which causes her to snap at and outright explode in front of her friends. It's not out of character, it's just her being really, really irrational.

Loved the banter between the other pegasi. Also, grinch face.

Spoiler: That Singing Voice • show

Now ever since I heard Dash was going to get her own solo song I've been hyped up to hear it and I wasn't disappointed. I am so adding it to my phone, and as weird as this is to say it, Smile! has been knocked into second place on my favorite songs list. I absolutely love Rainbow's singing voice.

Plus those faces. Oh, so many cute faces during that song. I was having heart attack after heart attack.  :3

*ahem* Moving on.

Spoiler: Bargaining • show

Midway through the episode we have Dash failing to hold off winter. As skilled as she is, she's no match for the combined efforts of both Ponyville's and Cloudsdale's weather teams. So she decides to take things to the source: Cloudsdale's Weather Factory.

Now I know a lot of people probably wonder why there were no ponies still in the factory. No workers, no supervisors, no security. Yes it was for plot convenience, but it also made me wonder "How safe would Equestria have to be when one of its major lifelines can actually be left alone like that?"

I mean seriously, with the way they left the place alone I almost have to wonder if they haven't had to worry about something happening to the factory in so long they don't even think about it anymore. Making what Dash does next a completely unheard of occurrence.

Rainbow proceeds to sabotage winter for Ponyville, and by extension the rest of Equestria, until she sets off a chain of events that results in the destruction of the entire set of winter machinery and resulting in an entire winter's worth of snow burying Ponyville.

Stuck with the realization that she can't do anything to keep Tank from hibernating Dash hits an emotional rock bottom.

Fluttershy's rather blunt tough-love comment is the final crack in the dam for all of Rainbow's pent-up emotions, frustrations and anxieties and the waterworks spill forth quite literally.

Spoiler: Depression • show

Now, I have to admit this part was painful to watch. Aside from seeing my favorite pony completely break down into tears I also know that the undertones in the episode's story are as close to dealing with loss as I'm sure the writers were willing to go. I had to handle a far worse loss at a much younger age than her when ended up with me completely locking-down emotionally.

It...wasn't pleasant...

To anyone who criticizes Rainbow for overreacting over her pet going away for a few months I just want to say I think she's lucky that's as worse as it is for her. I know we'll never see it in the show, but this episode would hopefully help her better cope in the future. I don't know how she'd handle a family member, a friend or any potential future special somepony being gone for good.

But I honestly don't think she'd have come back from that as easily as she did from this.

Spoiler: Acceptance • show

Anyway, Rainbow finally comes to terms with the fact that she won't be able to see Tank for a few months, and she finds him a nice spot under a tree for him to hibernate. Staying behind reading a book both to help him sleep and also probably to help her feel better.

In the end we got to see Dash let out a lot of those pent-up emotions she tries her best to hide from everypony and hopefully grow even more as an individual.

End big mass o' spoilers.

Also, I swear I am not intentionally taking over the first posts on the pages.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2015 Apr 26, 00:51:31
Spoiler: Episode Start • show

I guess I should have figured that Cloudsdale could move seeing as it's floating and all, but I still have to say that is really cool. Guess moving the city across Equestria makes setting up winter a whole lot easier for the ponies.

Spoiler: Little response • show
*Insert Patrick "push it somewhere else meme"* "We should take Cloudsdale... and push it somewhere else!"
X3 I was also pleasantly surprised that Cloudsdale can move. I never really thought about it. I kinda thought it was always in that one spot it's depicted in on the map. I guess that's just their usual location for it so ponies traveling there can find it.

Spoiler: And now for me • show
Twilight: Prepare yourselves, everypony. Winter is coming!
me: DID YOU REALLY JUST
They made that reference?! I expected that from the fans, but not the show itself! I like how it's written in a way so that, many years from now, if a generation that knows nothing about Game of Thrones watches it, it won't seem weird or out of place. It's just a statement that doubles as a reference. Still, though, that reference surprised me, and I yelled at my TV. lol

I mean, not only is the episode title (Tanks For the Memories) a reference (and a pun), but they also made a GoT reference? I don't watch GoT, but spend enough time on the Internet, and you'll know that "Winter is coming" thing, especially since it became a meme.

Anyway, this was a really cute episode. I wonder if it'll still be winter for the next few episodes for continuity's sake, until we get that Hearthswarming episode we're apparently getting. Yayyy, another holiday episode! :3

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Night Pony

The name of the episode reminds me of:

I want to thank all of the artist that have drawn my OCs.
Night Shine and Moon Violet

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Night Pony on 2015 Apr 26, 13:09:48
The name of the episode reminds me of:

Exactly! I think it might be an intentional reference. They do have a habit of making episode titles that are references with puns, or puns on common phrases.

Bloom and Gloom was wordplay on Gloom and Doom.

Magical Mystery Cure was wordplay on Magical Mystery Tour.

Sunshine Smash

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2015 Apr 26, 14:31:38
Exactly! I think it might be an intentional reference. They do have a habit of making episode titles that are references with puns, or puns on common phrases.

Bloom and Gloom was wordplay on Gloom and Doom.

Magical Mystery Cure was wordplay on Magical Mystery Tour.

And Sonic Rainboom was.... Well what do you need me for with that? You all know what it is.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Night Pony

Quote from: Sunshine Smash on 2015 Apr 26, 16:09:42
And Sonic Rainboom was.... Well what do you need me for with that? You all know what it is.

LostSanity

Here are my Episode 5 thoughts:

Spoiler: show
This one... was... quite interesting.

I didn't expect to see this side of Rainbow Dash. I really didn't. It's made me like her more as a character. I didn't think she could cry like that. I kind of felt sorry for her. I felt sorry for Rainbow Dash. Yeah... I never thought I'd say that either.

Also, I quite liked the song. Probably the first MLP:FiM song I've enjoyed in quite awhile now.

All in all... yet another AMAZING episode.

:D
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Stardust Dragon

My favorite part of the episode was the "Who's on First" bit between the pegasi; I've always loved that gag when its used well, but it was also well timed in my life as well.  Just a few days ago I was talking to a non-fan friend about Pinkie Pie, and she began snickering at the name.  I admitted that yes, it was a goofy name to hear being said in serious context, so I rather liked seeing the showrunners poking fun at how bizarre some of our pastel friends' names are.

But as someone who has had to say goodbye to a pet, and will probably have to do so some time in the near future (all my current dogs are getting old, and medications are springing up everywhere), I really started to understand what RD was going through.  I've loved MLP for not treating its audience like idiots and trying to offer at least a little insight into deeper problems that you aren't expecting out of a 'kids show'.  I think that's why I latched onto Steven Universe in the span of 24 hours, while I'm on the subject.

And as much as it was rough to watch, I appreciated Fluttershy understanding that Rainbow needed a chance to just release her pent up emotions, and that she was willing to offer that when she seemed stuck.  It just made Fluttershy a more interesting character for me; even though I've liked her from the beginning, her being an extreme doormat bugs me because it's a flaw I admit to sharing.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Stardust Dragon on 2015 Apr 26, 19:26:28
My favorite part of the episode was the "Who's on First" bit between the pegasi; I've always loved that gag when its used well, but it was also well timed in my life as well.  Just a few days ago I was talking to a non-fan friend about Pinkie Pie, and she began snickering at the name.  I admitted that yes, it was a goofy name to hear being said in serious context, so I rather liked seeing the showrunners poking fun at how bizarre some of our pastel friends' names are.

But as someone who has had to say goodbye to a pet, and will probably have to do so some time in the near future (all my current dogs are getting old, and medications are springing up everywhere), I really started to understand what RD was going through.  I've loved MLP for not treating its audience like idiots and trying to offer at least a little insight into deeper problems that you aren't expecting out of a 'kids show'.  I think that's why I latched onto Steven Universe in the span of 24 hours, while I'm on the subject.

And as much as it was rough to watch, I appreciated Fluttershy understanding that Rainbow needed a chance to just release her pent up emotions, and that she was willing to offer that when she seemed stuck.  It just made Fluttershy a more interesting character for me; even though I've liked her from the beginning, her being an extreme doormat bugs me because it's a flaw I admit to sharing.

Fluttershy's part also showed some character development. She really did learn and grow from that lesson she received from the Breezies.

And now that you mention it, you're right about Steven Universe. It treats its audience like we all have some level of intelligence and maturity. They're not afraid to get serious and emotional. They're not afraid to have the gems actually speak like beings who've been alive and observing humans for thousands of years, especially with some of the stuff that Pearl says.

Stuff like that is what makes Steven Universe and MLP such good shows.

And yeah, the "Who's on First"-esque skit was pretty amusing. I enjoyed hearing them toy around with ponies' names.

Sunshine Smash

I'm going on a bit of a tirade of something that bugged me about the new episode. It's not about the episode itself, I loved it.

I'm sick of all these people saying, "Ohhh this sucks because Rainbow didn't get consequences for destroying the factory. Let's face it, you don't care about that, if you did care then you would have said sometime about Fluttershy's actions in Swarm of the Century and The Best Night Ever. Did she cause lots of damages in those episodes? Yes. Was she ever penalized for doing something like that? No. I could go on and give examples of Twilight in Lesson Zero and Rarity in Inspiration Manifestation, but I'm not going to make this any larger.

What I'm trying to say is, stop giving Rainbow flak for something like this when you all happily ignored the other characters destroying things.

Deep inside..... We're kindred spirits...... You..... And I......

Dawnstar

2015 Apr 30, 00:01:38 #90 Last Edit: 2015 Apr 30, 00:09:04 by Dawnstar
Spoiler: Rainbow Repercussions • show
Honestly, I don't think she got in trouble because nopony actually saw her do anything. The factory was completely deserted when she was in there and by the time the workers showed up she was already caught in the system. Back in Ponyville the first anypony saw of her she was crawling out of the snow with the rest of them so they probably assumed she was caught in the blast as well. If somepony did happen to see her in the snowball it's possible they figured she got caught in it as it was flying from Cloudsdale.

For all anypony would know there was either a malfunction in the machinery, or somepony forgot to do a proper check on the system before going on break and it overloaded.

I'm not saying what she did shouldn't have repercussions, but I think karma took care of that when her actions caused winter to come even sooner cutting her time with tank even shorter.

Spoiler: Edit • show
I did realize she told her friends she was on the snowball. Whether she told them she was responsible for the factory is another matter, but if she did tell just them they'd probably keep it to themselves.

The only other option is that the damage to the weather factory wasn't as severe as it looked.

Mizuki

My thoughts on Appleloosa's Most Wanted:

All in all I really liked it!!
It was nice to see an AJ & CMC episode without worrying about the mane 6 forcefully tagging along for the ride. I also really liked the message/lesson of the episode too; that sometimes the most pessimistic view isn't always the correct or "realistic" way to look at things. I wish more people would take this lesson to heart.

My only nit-pick with the episode was that the whole "Rodeo clown" was so obvious to the point that even the CMC were able to figure it out as soon as they heard Trouble Shoes's back story. I know most people get annoyed when things like that are drawn out, but because they figured out the "surprise" so quickly, there wasn't as big an "ah-ha!" moment for when Trouble Shoes figured out what he was really meant to do.

It's also kind of a shame that AJ sort of took a backseat to the CMC & TS, I mean she was the one filling in for Braeburn afterall :/ but I guess the episode wasn't really about her. Ugh we finally get an episode of her in Appleloosa doing Rodeo things and it's not even about her?? Whyyyy

But seriously, I really did enjoy it! I know I sound annoyed but I'm less annoyed than what I'm sounding like here!

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

LostSanity

Now to bring you my Episode 6 thoughts:

I kind of liked this episode too. It didn't exactly go how I thought it would when I first read the episode synopsis. But that tends to happen for me a lot I guess. I was actually glad to see that the criminal was not really a criminal and actually kind-hearted.

It was kind of interesting to see the CMC help another pony, who was an adult, help them understand something about their cutie mark that wasn't what they originally thought. It was kind of cool to see the CMC help somepony that wasn't a filly or getting into trouble (for the most part anyway).

I don't know what it was about this one, but I just really liked it.

Yet another GREAT episode.

:D
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Jinxie Umbra

Spoiler: Episode 6 • show
That was a good episode, despite its unfortunate timing with current events. Poor Troubleshoes getting arrested by those lousy cops despite his innocence. ono

Was funny seeing Braeburn again. Not really father material, is he? Disappointed that we didn't get to see Little Strongheart again. Oh well.

Sweetie Belle was rockin' that telekinesis, though! She's learning well. I think she'll make a fine witch one day. ovO

Kamil13PL

I found the episode to be great, was awesome to see Braeburn again and the whole town in general, seeing Swetie Belle use her magic etc. but one thing I am still confused by is Troubleshoes a pony giant of some kind? Big Mac is big but Troubleshoes was massive, I thought he must be a horse but noone seemed to care about his size in the episode unless I missed something.. I was watching the episode with a younger sister, but yeah the episode was great loved it but Troubleshoes what is he a giant pony or a horse in the land of magical ponies?

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Kamil13PL on 2015 May 07, 15:56:03
I found the episode to be great, was awesome to see Braeburn again and the whole town in general, seeing Swetie Belle use her magic etc. but one thing I am still confused by is Troubleshoes a pony giant of some kind? Big Mac is big but Troubleshoes was massive, I thought he must be a horse but noone seemed to care about his size in the episode unless I missed something.. I was watching the episode with a younger sister, but yeah the episode was great loved it but Troubleshoes what is he a giant pony or a horse in the land of magical ponies?

(No spoiler on my post since we're days past the spoiler requirement. ovO (You put spoilers Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, btw.))
I kinda figured Troubleshoes was an actual horse. A clydesdale, to be more specific.
Spoiler: Photo of some clydesdales • show

Clydesdales are huge. It's because they're a breed of draft horse. Draft horses are working horses that were bred to be huge and powerful, so they could handle work that normal horses can't. Despite their size, they can run really fast.

If you've ever seen a really big carriage being pulled by huge horses with long fluffy fur around their hooves, those are likely clydesdales or some other breed of draft horse. Clydesdales come in more colors than brown and white, but that seems to be the color that you most often see them in.

According to the episode's synopsis, his full name is Troubleshoes Clyde, pointing even more to the idea that he may be a clydesdale.
If he is a horse, it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a horse in MLP. There were also the horses that came from Saddle Arabia.

Kamil13PL

Thank you I read the rules and it said spoiler tags till Monday but I just put it in to be safe, I must have missed that episode with the Saddle Arabia horses, but yeah thanks again  :D now I can sleep easily knowing Equestria is not in danger from giant ponies but huge powerful horses.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Kamil13PL on 2015 May 08, 06:35:59
Thank you I read the rules and it said spoiler tags till Monday but I just put it in to be safe, I must have missed that episode with the Saddle Arabia horses, but yeah thanks again  :D now I can sleep easily knowing Equestria is not in danger from giant ponies but huge powerful horses.

The Saddle Arabia horses appeared in the end of the Magic Duel episode. ^-^

Night Pony

Is it me or S5 so far revolves around CMs?

Jinxie Umbra

Quote from: Night Pony on 2015 May 09, 16:20:48
Is it me or S5 so far revolves around CMs?

Yeah, that's the theme for this season/wave of toys. 0:)

Go Up