Stay out of my replies

Started by Lusterless Nova, 2013 Jan 08, 18:06:44

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lusterless Nova

Hi there.

When i post somewhere i get it into my replies. usually this is a good thing. But there are some things where i posted where i don't want to have a entry in my replies.

usually i would just remove my posts but in thread games like colts vs fillies this is near impossible.

Is there a function what can make this happen, and if not could it be added?

PrincessButton

This would be SOOOO helpful.  O:
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Julius

I agree. It would be nice to have the ability to remove posts from your Replies notification board. ^-^
Purr~

Liska

I don't understand what the problem is here. Mind explaining more clearly?

Julius

Whenever you make a post in a thread, you are linked to it in your replies. Whenever someone posts there, it shows on your replies.

Sometimes you want to stop following a thread, in my case silly thread games that I lost interest in, but there's no option to do that. Once you make the post, you'll always receive a notification on your replies.

An option to remove certain threads from the replies section would be nice. ^-^
Purr~

Liska

Oh hey check that out you're right.
No clue how to fix that. It's some SMF feature.
I'll look into it later.

Julius

2013 Jan 12, 19:45:30 #6 Last Edit: 2013 Jan 13, 07:14:29 by Julius
Glad to help as always! ^-^

Now, go check the "Pop" thread you made, I got some ponies waiting for you there. lol
Purr~

Lusterless Nova

Thank you for the info.
Let us know if you find anything. Until then i will stalk this topic. ovO

Liska

After searching around on the SMF forums, it has come to the conclusion that it's simply not possible in SMF forums.

QuoteThe problem is performance.

There are two basic ways you can do it, one is the way vbgamer/Karl's mod does it, and one is the way I do it. The way vbgamer/Karl's mod does it is clean, but due to the way it all ends up in SQL, woefully painful with large numbers of topics being ignored, and equally painful on large boards.

How bad would the performance be?
QuoteColossal, actually, and scales up at *best* directly in proportion to the size of the forum, worst case exponentially to the size of the forum. Let me explain the problem.

SQL works on relationships, joining tables together. As such, you build indexes, a list of what items are in a given table. And when you join, you look up against that table.

Which means, when you start from the topics table and link to the messages table, you've got a map as to where things are.

Now, this is where the butthurt begins. You build a list of the items you have, not a list of items you don't have.

So you build a list of topics and have to compare each one to the ignore list, looking for it not to exist. And since you don't have a list of what doesn't exist, every single topic has to be matched to the ignore list, one by one. IIRC the original version of Karl's mod limited you to 10 (yes, 10 TOTAL) topics to be ignored, simply because that limits how far the ignore list gets, which limits how much time is spent looking for non-matches.

If it wouldn't eat your disk insanely, it'd probably be quicker to build a list of every topic and every user and match against that.

The only way that it might work is if you removed all your posts in that thread, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Julius

Hmm... Well, as I said, I only want to stop following thread games so I'm ok with that. Not sure how Lusterless will feel about it but I'm fine with it.

Thanks Anya. ^-^
Purr~

Lusterless Nova

Removing my posts in Colts vs Fillies is near impossible. It's my personal main reason for asking for this.

jimm

I've had this problem too, so I wrote a userscript for it. After installing it, just go to recent unread replies and there will be ignore buttons to ignore certain threads, and a button to clear the list of ignored topics.

Only works on Firefox for now because Chrome's userscript support is completely broken.

Before installing this, you'll need Scriptish: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/scriptish/

Then, just open this and install http://luna.thehorseplace.us/bin/ignore_replies_on_SMF.user.js

Julius

I'm waiting for somepony to make a post to test it out.

I see what you did there by the way, sneaky Jimm. lol
Purr~

Julius

The good news? It works. ^-^

The bad news? I can't take it seriously. :l

Purr~

PrincessButton

Quote from: Julius on 2013 Jan 13, 17:04:20
The good news? It works. ^-^

The bad news? I can't take it seriously. :l

Bahahahaha I love it!
[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Jenzy

I never knew it did that... EVER!

I always had to hunt for replies like what happened in RPs in the actual boards itself :l

Thread Games ARE getting silly huh? I mostly just talk in the Last Comment.

Go Up