How to prepare for a Let's Play?

Started by Chishio Kunrin, 2012 Nov 05, 15:48:45

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Wandering Star

A little protip, usually you can find in a game the option of recording your matches (TF2, CoD, Dawn of War, Warcraft 3,...), the way they usually record those matches goes around where the things go during the match and, then, they reproduce the same. If you haven't understood anything, let's me sum up: Maybe your fps sucks in the middle of a TF2 match while using Fraps but, if you use Fraps when you are watching a recorded match, your fps won't be hurted too much. That can help you to record your voice again and again in case you get to nervous or blocked in the middle of the vocal commentaries.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Nov 05, 18:19:00 #21 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 05, 18:52:00 by Chishio Kunrin
Alright, I'm gonna try to find a moment when I can talk to my mom more about this and get her to help me find some of this info. I've already talked with her about my plans to try to start doing LPs, and she's fine with it, especially since I understand the fact that I'll need my own job in the meantime and need to devote portions of my paychecks to bills and food.

[Edit]:
My mom says my desktop computer is about 5 years old and that it's obsolete. So she said going with buying/building a computer would be better than trying to upgrade an obsolete computer.

She doesn't really know much about how to build a good computer, and the guy we know who knows how to build good computers... is on the other side of the state, living his dream of being a chef. o_O Soooo... if we end up needing his help, we'll have to wait until he's in town and see if he can come over and help. Heh.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Julius

2012 Nov 05, 18:53:21 #22 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 05, 18:58:33 by Julius
Well, I can't really help you out here, I've no videogame recording experience but... I want to keep an eye on this thread.

For what it's worth, I'll watch your videos. ^-^

Oh wait... I think the YouTube limit is 15 minutes. As you get more and more subscribers that limit keeps growing, and eventually disappears (I'm not sure what are the exact requirements for the limit to grow, I'm just assuming it's the subscribers).

Edit: You know, maybe waiting for the Chef won't be necessary. Someponies here know what they're talking about when it comes to computers. Maybe they could recommend stuff to buy based on what you have and your budget. I would, but my computer knowledge is just above average, so you're better off listening to the others. :]
Purr~

Xeno Aura

QuoteShe doesn't really know much about how to build a good computer

You mean as in what parts are needed to build a PC for gaming?

Rissian

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Nov 05, 18:53:21
Well, I can't really help you out here, I've no videogame recording experience but... I want to keep an eye on this thread.

For what it's worth, I'll watch your videos. ^-^

Oh wait... I think the YouTube limit is 15 minutes. As you get more and more subscribers that limit keeps growing, and eventually disappears (I'm not sure what are the exact requirements for the limit to grow, I'm just assuming it's the subscribers).

Edit: You know, maybe waiting for the Chef won't be necessary. Someponies here know what they're talking about when it comes to computers. Maybe they could recommend stuff to buy based on what you have and your budget. I would, but my computer knowledge is just above average, so you're better off listening to the others. :]

I would as well, and I'm sure a few other LoE members would also watch them, Let's plays are pretty fun usually if everything goes well.  :]

Billow Pillow

I must agree with Julius, we have quite a bit of intelligent and helpful people here on the forums alone, that i am almost certain who would be willing to help you in an instant.   Other than that though, i would also be willing to watch your videos when completed or perhaps even help out during.  Though i'll be honest here, i don't regularly make a habit of watching many let's plays.
Senpai Notice me

LOE Craft: Here
My OC: Here
Dragon Cave Click Meow.

Chishio Kunrin

Thanks, guys. ^-^ You're right. I was thinking about it, and I figured I could make due with help from the knowledgeable people here.

I figured at least someone here might give my LPs a try, so thanks very much for telling me so!

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Nov 05, 18:53:21

Ah. I'll look into that.

I'm thinking about also possibly trying to contact at least one Youtube LPer and asking for some advice.

Julius

Hmm... Chugga strikes me as a guy who would be willing to help out. :)
Purr~

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Nov 05, 20:17:03

Alrighty. Though, I haven't really seen any of his stuff, so it'd feel a little awkward asking him.

Tiger

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 05, 20:33:56
Quote from: Julius on 2012 Nov 05, 20:17:03

Alrighty. Though, I haven't really seen any of his stuff, so it'd feel a little awkward asking him.

*gasp*  O:
You haven't seen any of his stuff!?
He's freaking awesome ovO

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Book Smarts

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 05, 18:19:00
Alright, I'm gonna try to find a moment when I can talk to my mom more about this and get her to help me find some of this info. I've already talked with her about my plans to try to start doing LPs, and she's fine with it, especially since I understand the fact that I'll need my own job in the meantime and need to devote portions of my paychecks to bills and food.

[Edit]:
My mom says my desktop computer is about 5 years old and that it's obsolete. So she said going with buying/building a computer would be better than trying to upgrade an obsolete computer.

She doesn't really know much about how to build a good computer, and the guy we know who knows how to build good computers... is on the other side of the state, living his dream of being a chef. o_O Soooo... if we end up needing his help, we'll have to wait until he's in town and see if he can come over and help. Heh.

Keep your eyes out during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, those are a good time to buy a new computer

Rissian

2012 Nov 05, 20:57:36 #31 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 05, 21:01:57 by Trege
Well I searched google on Youtube video limits, it's slightly annoying what they require for you to get higher limits.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71673
I think they want you to add a mobile phone to your account just to increase the time limit, at least that's what it says in their FAQ and your account must be in good standing.  :l

(It's slightly annoying that everything wants your mobile phone nowadays.)

Xeno Aura

2012 Nov 05, 21:05:32 #32 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 05, 21:07:11 by Xeno Aura
Once you verify your phone I think it removes limits.

I believe the limits for verified accounts is a max of 12 hours and no bigger than 20GB.

Although I feel sorry for anyone uploading a 20GB video.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Nov 05, 20:45:31
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 05, 18:19:00

[Edit]:

Keep your eyes out during Black Friday and Cyber Monday, those are a good time to buy a new computer

Planning on building one rather than buying one. I told my mom it's cheaper to build one because stores overprice their computers, and she agreed. She said a... um... cyber something...? Something cyber...? Some kinda high-quality gaming computer. She said she's never seen one of those under $2,500.

Quote from: Trege on 2012 Nov 05, 20:57:36
Well I searched google on Youtube video limits, it's slightly annoying what they require for you to get higher limits.

I think they want you to add a mobile phone to your account just to increase the time limit, at least that's what it says in their FAQ and your account must be in good standing.  :l

Son of a gun. Yeah, everyone seems to think that every person in America owns a cell phone, when that's not the case. If we have to give up our cell phones to cut down on expenses, I'll be doomed. :l

With video games, it'll be... a little.. dodgy trying not to get in trouble for copyright.

Worldwide Content ID blocks? I dunno what that is.

So, I'll just have to try to stay in a good standing with them. Though, shorter videos means more videos, which can mean more money. :] However, the money is only a bonus, and it's only so important to me right now because of my current financial situation.

Julius

I just removed my limit. That was so easy. X3

If you have a cellphone with you right now jut put that number there and they send you a code via SMS. After you input that code to verify, you don't need that phone anymore.

And that's it for your limits! :D
Purr~

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Julius on 2012 Nov 05, 21:15:36
I just removed my limit. That was so easy. X3

If you have a cellphone with you right now jut put that number there and they send you a code via SMS. After you input that code to verify, you don't need that phone anymore.

And that's it for your limits! :D

I don't have to go online on my cell phone to do it, right? Just text them back, or take the code from the text message and enter it on Youtube on my computer?

Rissian

2012 Nov 05, 21:18:28 #36 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 05, 21:20:21 by Trege
Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 05, 21:10:51
Quote from: Trege on 2012 Nov 05, 20:57:36

Son of a gun. Yeah, everyone seems to think that every person in America owns a cell phone, when that's not the case. If we have to give up our cell phones to cut down on expenses, I'll be doomed. :l

With video games, it'll be... a little.. dodgy trying not to get in trouble for copyright.

Worldwide Content ID blocks? I dunno what that is.

So, I'll just have to try to stay in a good standing with them. Though, shorter videos means more videos, which can mean more money. :] However, the money is only a bonus, and it's only so important to me right now because of my current financial situation.

And you still have to be careful I remember my cousin saying Toby and a few other let's players have permission to make money off of their Let's play videos because of advertising. You can get into trouble if you don't know how it works. and if my cousin was online I could ask him the details of Youtube partnerships.

Xeno Aura

Alienware overprice their PC's, they charge £1,500 for a PC worth about £500, you pay money for the name, not the power.

Yeah, not sure how Youtubers go about handling copyright, I know a few focus on older games, where the developers probably don't care. I don't know if they ask for permission before making videos about newer games. Despite Youtube stating it's against the rules to make money from video game footage if you don't have permission.

Indie games like MC are probably much easier to do LP's of. The developers will be more lenient, and probably won't care, whereas big companies can act.... strangely. :P

And the mobile (cell) phone thing is worldwide as well, be even more annoying for those in countries where mobile phones are harder to get.

And no they send you an SMS, you enter the code in the SMS into youtube.

Julius

Eeyup.

You input your cellphone number on your computer (I did it from my iPhone, but it's the same. I was on the desktop site), they send you a text with a code and you put that code in the computer.

Limits removed. :)
Purr~

lurk852

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 05, 21:10:51
Planning on building one rather than buying one. I told my mom it's cheaper to build one because stores overprice their computers, and she agreed. She said a... um... cyber something...? Something cyber...? Some kinda high-quality gaming computer. She said she's never seen one of those under $2,500.

Hope you're not thinking of CyberPowerPC or one of its puppets. Only company I know of that sells custom-built PCs at good prices, but has abysmal business ethics and tends to scam people.

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Nov 05, 21:18:41
Alienware overprice their PC's, they charge £1,500 for a PC worth about £500, you pay money for the name, not the power.

I dunno, the smaller one (X51) they're selling now doesn't seem that overpriced, compared to how much the parts cost. Most of their stuff, though, yeah.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Go Up