Innocent VS. Corrupt - The Forum Game (ROUND 3 IN-PLAY)

Started by Lary, 2012 Jul 26, 18:42:30

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lary

Round 3 is no longer recruiting! Wait until next round!

When you sign-up, keep checking your inboxes. I will send you your role and request verification. If you don't verify within 24 hours, you run the risk of being replaced. Sorry.

Timezones:
http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/

Type in EDT into the second location box.
---

First Time? Read Me!
Spoiler: How To Play • show
DISCLAIMER: This is a modified version of an already existing and already popular forum game; if you recognize it, good on you. I did not steal this game nor am I claiming to have made it; I have simply modified this game so it could work on this forum. I cannot link to it due to it potentially breaking rules, which is why I modified it - so it can be family friendly by this site's standards. If you have any questions regarding the original version, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, I will not refer to it outside of the basic rules.

---

Innocent VS. Corrupt. What is it?
In it's simplest form, Innocent VS. Corrupt is played between two teams. When a game begins, all players are privately told what their role is by the "Moderator", the host of the game (in this case, me).

A Civilian is told that he is Innocent. The Civilian does not know everyone else's role... just his own. He wins when all of the Corrupt have been banished.
A Corrupt Civilian is told his role, and is also informed who his partners in crime are. He wins when everyone else besides him and his partners have been banished.

How do you play?
There are two phases to the game: DAY-PHASE and NIGHT-PHASE.

During Day-Phase, the people in the game will talk (in the topic - private conversations constitutes as cheating) amongst themselves and try to logically decide which of them is Corrupt, while the Corrupt try to blend in. Each person can vote to banish whomever is the most suspicious. They can change or remove their vote at any time. When a single person has received a majority (over half) of the votes, that person is banished.

During Night-Phase, nobody is allowed to talk. The Corrupt secretly decide (through PM's or outside chat systems) who they want to exile (remove) from the game, and then send the choice (through PM) to the Moderator (me). That person will be removed from the game during the night.

This cycle continues until one side wins.

What does a typical game look like?
Spoiler: Sample Game; Long Post • show
Basic Setup:

- 7 Players (5 Innocent, 2 Corrupt)

DAY ONE
The game is starting in the Day-Phase. All players are allowed to speak. With seven players, it will take four votes on one person to banish them.
First days almost always results in an Innocent getting banished because discussion is light and nobody has any opportunity to act suspicious yet.
(Innocent 1 has been banished)
Surely enough, this guy must have said something that was misinterpreted! He tried to explain himself, but four people voted for him anyway, which sent him out of Ponyville forever.
When somebody is banished, the moderator (me) reveals the poor soul's true identity (He was an Innocent Civilian) to everyone, and then Night-Phase begins.

NIGHT ONE
During the Night-Phase, everyone "goes to sleep" and is not allowed to talk to each other. The Corrupt, on the other hand, secretly talk to each other (in PM's or Instant Chat Systems) and decide on who they want to banish during the night and send their decision to the moderator (me).
Once they have made their decision, Day-Phase starts again.

DAY TWO
The moderator announces the Day-Phase and the unlucky pony from last night. When someone is banished during the night, their true identity is revealed.
(Innocent 2 has been exiled in the night)
This guy was just an Innocent Civilian.
With five people in the game, it will take three votes to reach a majority. The players must try again, hopefully doing better.
The Innocent must be very careful. With only three Innocents left and still two Corrupt, if they banish an Innocent by mistake the Corrupt will outnumber the Innocent and win the game.

Paranoia and suspicion run rampant. Everybody keeps talking, trying to logically decide who the Corrupt is. Meanwhile, the Corrupt are adding to the paranoia as best as they can without getting caught.
One person is accused of "Vote Hopping" (changing who they vote for very quickly). Another is accused for "Lurking" (not participating enough in the conversation). Eventually, they come to a decision to banish...

(Corrupt Civilian 1 has been banished)
He is banished and the group learns of his identity. He was a corrupted civilian! The group made the right decision. Congratulations!
Once again, his role is revealed and Night-Phase begins.

NIGHT TWO
During the Night-Phase, everyone "goes to sleep" and is not allowed to talk to each other. Being the only Corrupt member remaining, he alone makes the decision on who to remove from the game. He sends his choice to the moderator, and Day-Phase begins.

DAY THREE
(Innocent 3 has been exiled in the night)
Once the decision is in, the moderator announces the identity of the poor little pony that was lost to the night. It was an Innocent Civilian, of course.

There are three people left. Two votes are needed for a banishment. If one Innocent places a vote on the other Innocent, the Corrupt might quickly place their vote on the same one, resulting in a banishment. This is called "Speedvoting". The only way for the Innocents to win is for both of them to target the Corrupt Civilian.
Two players place their vote...

(Corrupt Citizen 2 has been banished)
Yes, he was the last Corrupt team member. The Innocents win the game!
When a game is over, all roles are revealed.
Even if you were banished when your team wins, you are still considered a winner, so don't be afraid to sacrifice yourself for your team if you find it necessary.

This is just one of many possible outcomes of a game. It may seem confusing at first, but once you start playing it becomes easier to understand and can become quite fun. Especially when specialized roles are introduced...

What kind of roles are there?
Team Innocent:
Civilian: Have the power to vote in the day. Nothing else.
Cop: Can investigate one player per night and learn of their team and role. To investigate, send the moderator a PM on which player you want to investigate.
Doctor: Can protect one player per night; this pony will be immune to the Corrupt's exile for the night. To protect, send the moderator a PM on which player you want to protect. The Doctor cannot protect itself, and is instantly eliminated if protecting a Corrupt member.

Team Corrupt:
Corrupted Civilian: Having the power to vote in the day and vote in the night.
Corrupted Cop: Can investigate one player per night and learn of their team and role. To investigate, send the moderator a PM on which player you want to investigate.
Traitor: He knows his team, but his team doesn't know him. When investigated by a Cop, he is revealed as Innocent. He has absolutely no say when exiling in the night - the moment he reveals who he is, he becomes a Corrupted Civilian.

These are some of the most basic ones. There are a lot more, but we'll just stick to these ones for now. Keep in mind: You won't always see every single role in one game (Like there might be games without a Cop, or a Traitor).

Spoiler: List of all roles introduced so far • show

Civilian
Possible Alignments: Innocent, Corrupt
Power: The Civilian can vote during Day-Phase. The Corrupted Civilians can vote during Night-Phase.

Cop
Power: The Cop can investigate a player once per Night-Phase and learn of that player's Alignment and Role.

Doctor
Possible Alignments: Innocent
Power: The Doctor can protect a player once per Night-Phase. They will be immune to the Corrupt's Night-Vote for that night. In large games, the Doctor is instantly eliminated if protecting a Corrupt member.

Traitor
Possible Alignments: Corrupt
Power: The Traitor knows who the Corrupt are, but they do not know him. He protects Corrupt through Day-Voting. All inspections from Cops will turn up Innocent. Once revealed, he is converted to Corrupt Citizen.

Roleblocker
Power: The Roleblocker can, once per cycle, block the power role of their target. During Day-Phase, they must announce that they block the role of a player. During Night-Phase, they send who they want to block to me through PM. A blocked role cannot use their power during that phase (i.e. Cops cannot investigate, and Doctors cannot protect). They also have a hidden ability...

Anything else?
Commands:
Vote: X This is used during the day when you're voting on who to banish. Replace the X with who you want to vote for.
Unvote: X This is used to unvote for players in case you change your mind. Beware: Once a majority decision is announced, you cannot use this command.

And those personal messages?
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, REVEAL ANY INFORMATION FROM A PM UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE.

Revealing your role and backing it up with evidence is fine, but only by using attained knowledge from IN THE GAME. The role assignments are NOT a part of the game, and therefore are NOT allowed to be used. Disobeying this rule will result in a modbanish from the game. Repeated offenses will result in the player being banned from future games.

This is your only warning.

Pro-tips from an experienced player:
-Be suspicious of everyone unless you know they're on your team. Keep an eye on their posting method; the words they type, how they type it, and how often they post. You must also watch for how they vote as well, as that might raise suspicion.

-It's not always smart to reveal your role in public. You CAN do that, but it's an extremely high risk.
If you're Innocent: The Corrupt side will know exactly where to put you on their priority list (i.e. if you reveal to be a Civilian, you'll be the last target. If you reveal to be a Cop, they'll prioritize you in the next Night-Phase)
If you're Corrupt: The Innocents will gang up on you to banish you during the day. Your Corrupt team members will also gang up on you to keep suspicion low on them. In other words, it's everypony for themselves.
And that's not considering the fact that they could be lying to deviate suspicion.

-You do not pick your roles - I do. Well, technically I use a Random Number Generator (RNG) to pick the roles. Don't be upset that you didn't get to be the Cop; there's always next game. For now, use what role that you have to your advantage.

-Be careful with how you make your decisions. Voting too early or too late might result in suspicion.

---

I've played this game multiple times in the past on another forum, and I was hoping to introduce it to these forums. It's really fun once you get used to it; there is a lot of strategy involved. I got a greenlight from a moderator thanks to my modifications I made, so we can all play this here. And, if all goes well, I might add more to the game as the rounds progress.

---

If you want to play, post here saying you want to and I'll sign you up!

Round 3 Cast
-Ozzy (Confirmed)
-Xeno Aura (Confirmed)
-Sponk (Confirmed)

-Darkangel (Confirmed)
-Sonic Heart (Confirmed)
-Legulus (Confirmed)
-Thunder Jet (Confirmed)

-PPBG (Confirmed)
-Blues-Music (Confirmed)
-Teal Turken (Confirmed)
-Hiroshi Goukyo (Confirmed)
-Trege (Confirmed)

-Zilla (Confirmed)

-Tiger (Confirmed)
-snarfgsnor (Confirmed)
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

snarfgsnor

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Haned tom.

This game looks like it will be alot of fun. So I would like to join.
In life there is no good or evil. There is only opinions and business.

PrincessButton

[Avatar drawn by Dusky Hues; Thank you!]

Dreadnaught 308

Hello, I'm The Doctor

Xeno Aura

No idea what I am doing, but I guess you can count me in...

Lary

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Jul 26, 19:47:00

I might have made it sound more complicated than it really is; this is only because I tried to cover every instance that might happen and avoid questions. Once the game starts, it'll be easy to understand. Trust me.

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 26, 19:48:31

I might have made it sound more complicated than it really is; this is only because I tried to cover every instance that might happen and avoid questions. Once the game starts, it'll be easy to understand. Trust me.

actully it wasnt that hard to understand. all i had to do was to read a bit slowly a think over the rules in order for everything to make sense. but when you get it everything is so easy.
but the only part im a bit unsure on is the talking during the day right phase thing.

avatar made by TheMysteriousArtist,and stardust for the pictures in the signature. go check thoose artists out!!

Lary

Quote from: snarfgsnor on 2012 Jul 26, 19:51:04

actully it wasnt that hard to understand. all i had to do was to read a bit slowly a think over the rules in order for everything to make sense. but when you get it everything is so easy.
but the only part im a bit unsure on is the talking during the day right phase thing.

You can discuss in this topic during the day. During the night, everyone is "sleeping", and all the Corrupt members must decide on who to banish in secret.
It would be best to stay silent during Night Phase.

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Lary on 2012 Jul 26, 19:53:28
Quote from: snarfgsnor on 2012 Jul 26, 19:51:04

You can discuss in this topic during the day. During the night, everyone is "sleeping", and all the Corrupt members must decide on who to banish in secret.
It would be best to stay silent during Night Phase.

yeah i got the night phase, but thanks anyway. and so we are suppose to discuss who potentialy may be a corrupted during the day phase?

Lary

Quote from: snarfgsnor on 2012 Jul 26, 19:54:41
yeah i got the night phase, but thanks anyway. and so we are suppose to discuss who potentialy may be a corrupted during the day phase?

Yes. And vote for who you think it is. Discussion is required because, after all, Day-Phase doesn't end until a majority vote against one player is made.
If you are Corrupt, your job is to act as Innocent; blend into the crowd.

Xeno Aura

Ok from what I understand:

The traitor is innocent at first, and he can reveal a corrupted person and then he becomes corrupt?

Not sure If I got that right, from what you wrote, it looks like the Traitor has the names of all the corrupted players, and once he reveals himself he comes corrupt, so presumably his job is to let the innocents know something, without them knowing hes a traitor, because if they know hes a traitor, they know he'll become corrupt and vote him out?

No idea....

Lary

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Jul 26, 19:59:19
Ok from what I understand:

The traitor is innocent at first, and he can reveal a corrupted person and then he becomes corrupt?

Not sure If I got that right, from what you wrote, it looks like the Traitor has the names of all the corrupted players, and once he reveals himself he comes corrupt, so presumably his job is to let the innocents know something, without them knowing hes a traitor, because if they know hes a traitor, they know he'll become corrupt and vote him out?

No idea....

He's one of the more complex roles. He may or may not be included in the first round because of this.

He knows who the Corrupted are, but the Corrupted don't know him. His goal is, through votes, to keep the Corrupted from being banished. If he reveals he's a Traitor, he becomes a Corrupted Citizen.

Basically, he's a Corrupted Citizen in disguise of an Innocent. He has Cop immunity (when investigated, he is seen as an Innocent Civilian), but not Corrupt Exile immunity like the other Corrupt members do (They could accidentally exile the Traitor, for instance). It's a double-edged sword.

snarfgsnor

soo my question now is: when do we start? ovO

Lary

Not sure. Was hoping we could get more people, but I don't know...

snarfgsnor

well you could post about this in the off-topics. i will probably draw more atention if you do.

PrincessButton

Quote from: snarfgsnor on 2012 Jul 26, 20:27:26
well you could post about this in the off-topics. i will probably draw more atention if you do.
But the mods would probably move it back since it's a forum game.. x:

snarfgsnor

Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2012 Jul 26, 20:33:10
more like announcing there is such a gmae like this in the thread games.

PrincessButton

Quote from: snarfgsnor on 2012 Jul 26, 20:34:57
Quote from: Pinkie Pie on 2012 Jul 26, 20:33:10
more like announcing there is such a gmae like this in the thread games.
"People can see it if they go to thread boards, no need to make a thread about a thread."
^I'm sure something along those lines would be said.  :s

Legulus

I would like join! Reminds me of Mafia :)
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those that don't ;)
Thanks to Jenzy for mah avatar.

Go Up