How are we going to compete with the competition?

Started by QB57.117cal, 2012 Jul 03, 14:33:14

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

QB57.117cal

MLP online released a demo of their game, and at least thousands of bronies has flocked over to them and downloaded it. The download link is now under heavy load (Error 509). I haven't tried their demo, but we are falling behind if we want to make an online game with a wide enough playerbase if about half of the potential players are already at mlp online. What should we do to counter their release?

Crystal Chaos

2012 Jul 03, 14:37:32 #1 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 03, 14:41:15 by Crystal Chaos
We COULD release demo for LoE that is better then their's...

But are we really compitetion? If so, let's BREAK THEM!

QB57.117cal

Quote from: Crystal Chaos on 2012 Jul 03, 14:37:32

Might be tough because EO was a working game, then the group split up, setting the game back. LoE has had not as much time to develop as MLP Online, so we are going to have to step it up.

Chishio Kunrin

2012 Jul 03, 14:55:49 #3 Last Edit: 2012 Jul 03, 14:58:09 by Chishio Kunrin
Calm down a moment. x3 I just looked up MLP Online, and I'm looking at their screenshots on their Facebook page. It's not much of a competition, considering MLP Online is very different from LoE.

LoE is a completely 3D MMO, whereas MLP Online is...

kind of a 2D sprite MMO.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

lurk852

There will be plenty of people for both. LoE doesn't need to "compete" with anyone.

Besides, LoE probably won't be out for quite awhile.
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Crystal Chaos

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Jul 03, 14:55:49
Calm down a moment. x3 I just looked up MLP Online, and I'm looking at their screenshots on their Facebook page. It's not much of a competition, considering MLP Online is very different from LoE.

LoE is a completely 3D MMO, whereas MLP Online is...

kind of a 2D sprite MMO.

Yeah, um, we have no competition.

Chishio Kunrin

Seems there is a 3D camera view, but it's still really different from LoE.
Spoiler: show

Still pretty pixelated and very sprite-y.

Tekner

Quote from: QB57.117cal on 2012 Jul 03, 14:33:14
MLP online released a demo of their game, and at least thousands of bronies has flocked over to them and downloaded it. The download link is now under heavy load (Error 509). I haven't tried their demo, but we are falling behind if we want to make an online game with a wide enough playerbase if about half of the potential players are already at mlp online. What should we do to counter their release?
First off, don't assume that because we aren't releasing updates, we're not making progress. We've been making significant progress, but are purposely not releasing anything until Pon-E3 and Galacon. Next off, we have 1722 registered members on this forum as of this post, and many many more unregistered that follow us on Twitter, LiveStream, and Facebook.

Lastly, I tested the game itself and while it looks promising, I wasn't too impressed. It has several graphical errors, grammar errors, and it's crashed on me at least two times when I tried exiting a building and it sent me right back in. Not to mention the fact that it's set in psuedo-3D (two dimensions with the illusion of a third. I.E. Jumping) as opposed to our true 3D. I obviously don't know where MLP Online is headed as far as it's future development, but so far its demo quite honestly pales in comparison to where LoE is right now. I will 100% admit that I am biased towards my own project, but anyone can look at our livestreams of both the game and our development footage and probably come to the same conclusion. I'm not worried in the least bit.

Side note: I've made games like this before and from what I can tell, I'd be able to make a system similar to this in a few weeks to a month. Granted I wouldn't have the artwork and other contributions present in the game, programmatically it's not very advanced.
Quote from: QB57.117cal on 2012 Jul 03, 14:52:56
Might be tough because EO was a working game, then the group split up, setting the game back . . . so we are going to have to step it up.
Completely incorrect. As far as I know, only about five to ten members actually quit (most likely less.) Everyone else simply adopted a new name and has continued working the same way since. Not only that, but we're recruiting more people every day.

Chishio Kunrin

Crystal Chaos

Trolololololololo!

I went to their website because I was bored and such... and the game is glitching! So, therefore, we win.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: QB57.117cal on 2012 Jul 03, 14:52:56
Quote from: Crystal Chaos on 2012 Jul 03, 14:37:32

Might be tough because EO was a working game, then the group split up, setting the game back. LoE has had not as much time to develop as MLP Online, so we are going to have to step it up.

By the way, you do realize that the game didn't get set back that much at all, right? It's not like the team left a bunch of their work behind when they left EO. They picked up every single thing that they themselves created and brought it with them to LoE. Therefore, they pretty much picked up the whole game as it was, brought it with them, renamed it, and resumed working on it. And LoE has a pretty biiiig team.

McSleuthburger

Lets  forget about the transfer from EO to LoE and pretend that it ever happened  ;)
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

SweBow

This isn't competition. I wish them goodluck. Now, I shall continue working on a REAL game.  ^-^

HerpyDooves

half of the potential players are already at mlp online.

I'm sure once LoE comes out and being spread across the internet, they're going to be undefeatable, considering that (not being a kiss-up lol) LoE looks amazing so far, and how it's the only Pony MMORPG game that I know of.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2012 Jul 03, 17:32:36
half of the potential players are already at mlp online.

I'm sure once LoE comes out and being spread across the internet, they're going to be undefeatable, considering that (not being a kiss-up lol) LoE looks amazing so far, and how it's the only Pony MMORPG game that I know of.

Yep. Equestria Tales: Elements of Chaos isn't even competition either, despite its overly-detailed graphics, because it's single-player. At least, I'm pretty sure it's single-player.

We should really try to spread the word about LoE, though, and entice people with awesome screenshots. Liiiike..
Spoiler: show

Tekner

I remember Equestria Tales having a multiplayer version planned, but it's still going to be mission-oriented. It's also only being worked on by one person amazingly enough. Gotta hand it to him, programming, modelling, and texturing everything himself has got to be hard. That also means, however, that he's going to be developing it a lot slower.

Personally, I only like the last screenshot, and that's only because of the toon shaders. We will have much better screenshots when we're done with some of this work. I know I'll be taking screenshots of a few things I added that have never been seen in the livestreams before.

lurk852

For a second, I thought the pony in that last picture had a pentagram for a Cutie Mark... reality can be disappointing.  lol
"The passions are, and ought only to be the slave of reason." - David Hume

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Competition? I doubt there'll be any, considering we've seen what this game already looks like. It can only improve from there, so I'm going to have to say that LOE is probably the best MLP-themed Online game out there right now. And will hold that title for a while, for sure.
[move][le templar here]          [/move]

Tekner

Quote from: Ezio Auditore da Firenze on 2012 Jul 04, 02:11:16
. . . so I'm going to have to say that LOE . . . will hold that title for a while, for sure.
Only a while? I think you mean...

Zbizo

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Jul 03, 16:16:45
This isn't competition. I wish them goodluck. Now, I shall continue working on a REAL game.  ^-^

It will turn into competition sooner or later when creators of first game will see feathures of second one and vice versa(?), but LoE creators have real 3d game look and who would leave new hatmaster for 2d mmo?  ovO

Go Up