Combat in LoE

Started by Icy Shield, 2016 Aug 02, 00:53:11

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Icy Shield

I see combat become a lot more complex, lot's of updates towards this specific part of the game and all skills that available right now are all made to someway to support the combat aspects of the game. This giving me feeling that this game will be pretty heavy combat oriented, which I'm not sure if it's good. I expected social supported content (including not combat skills and perks) would be higher priority and the main theme of this mmo. I hope in future updates will change to that direction.
Or maybe I'm overracting a bit and developers are simply busy focusing on this part of the game right now before moving to other things? Idk

Let it snow!

~RainCloud

Quote from: Icy Shield on 2016 Aug 02, 00:53:11
I see combat become a lot more complex, lot's of updates towards this specific part of the game and all skills that available right now are all made to someway to support the combat aspects of the game. This giving me feeling that this game will be pretty heavy combat oriented, which I'm not sure if it's good. I expected social supported content (including not combat skills and perks) would be higher priority and the main theme of this mmo. I hope in future updates will change to that direction.
Or maybe I'm overracting a bit and developers are simply busy focusing on this part of the game right now before moving to other things? Idk

Using Combat in this game imo isn't really necessary. Alot of the quests that I played during the OSE didn't even need to do so. However, attacking monsters and other enemies was a great way of getting free XP and bits. Some of the very small quests required killing some enemies like getting rubies for this one pony's sick rabbit and needed 5 rubies to make a remedy of some sort in Ponydale. (Ponyville)

Alot of the XP you would earn was through the quests. I completed one of the longest quests in the game during the open event. Mindless Violins. 512 Bits, 9001 XP. I went from a level 4 to a level 11 just like that lol. I only ended up at level 19 by the end of the event while most people were at level 50.

I can see Combat going a long way in doing harder quests that require you to use more strategy in order to complete those quests that require combat attacks.

IGN: RainCloud,  Purple Pegasus with Blue mane and Tail (Darker shades of Blue) and Red Eyes
Outfit: Lunar Armor, Lantern and Glasses
Level 50 Pegasus. Find me in game! PM for any game related questions! :)
Can PM In Game or Forum and I'll get back to you ASAP!

O. Vannen

2016 Aug 02, 01:47:34 #2 Last Edit: 2016 Aug 02, 01:54:50 by O. Vannen
Perhaps we plan to give you reasons to use the new (in development) combat system . . .  :/
O. Vannen | Writer/Editor and Moderator, Legends of Equestria
Send me a PM for contact info and stuf!

Natfoth

There is going to be a lot of additions towards Non-Combat related systems, such as the artisan crafting system and the cooking system as well as other unannounced systems.
Programmer Natfoth
The Experienced
Programming Lead[br]
Design by Princess Oliver, Avatar by CrabApple, OC by Natfoth

Sweet Brew

I do agree the heavy focus on combat is worrying, namely just for the fact that the type of crowd it'll attract.
We'll get a bunch of people who like those fanfics and such, which if the game had very little combat and mainly focused on socialization it would chase away all those derped up bronies who no one wants to play with.

The issue isn't that the team is making the game bad, because they're clearly not, the issue is that they need to think more carefully about who they'll be attracting to play this game and who will be chased away by those crowds.

Icy Shield

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Aug 02, 09:52:00
I do agree the heavy focus on combat is worrying, namely just for the fact that the type of crowd it'll attract.
We'll get a bunch of people who like those fanfics and such, which if the game had very little combat and mainly focused on socialization it would chase away all those derped up bronies who no one wants to play with.

The issue isn't that the team is making the game bad, because they're clearly not, the issue is that they need to think more carefully about who they'll be attracting to play this game and who will be chased away by those crowds.

exactly. I do like combat as next person to me, but figthing and compentive combat can bring hatred, jelousy and lot's arguing. And I don't think suit for child friendly Mlp mmo as Legends of Equestria. I must admit I myself have been one of these jerks (mostly because of my big desires of revenge). But I sincerly want to avoid this atleast in this game   :c

Let it snow!

NotoriousSMALL

Quote from: O. Vannen on 2016 Aug 02, 01:47:34
Perhaps we plan to give you reasons to use the new (in development) combat system . . .  :/
O. Vannen confirms epic quest line with lots of dragon killing?  lol lol lol

O. Vannen

QuoteO. Vannen confirms epic quest line with lots of dragon killing?  lol lol lol

I can neither confirm nor deny such speculations.

twiddles thumbs, whistling
O. Vannen | Writer/Editor and Moderator, Legends of Equestria
Send me a PM for contact info and stuf!

Mizuki

The way I see it, Combat is a stronger beast to tackle in terms of game design. There's a lot of calibrations to be made in order for it to feel satisfying, not to mention you gotta worry about how strong each monster should be for which levels and all these other different stats (and how those stats change based on equipment and buffs and debuffs..!)

I can see why the devs are messing with it as much as they are, not to mention combat is kind of fun X3 but I think once it becomes a bit more balanced and polished, the team can focus on non-violent things

At least that's my take on the whole thing :]

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

McClaw

Quote from: Natfoth on 2016 Aug 02, 09:40:17
There is going to be a lot of additions towards Non-Combat related systems, such as the artisan crafting system and the cooking system as well as other unannounced systems.

Which I'll welcome, as I've got plans for an OP focused on cooking. Being able to use a cast iron frying pan as an "improvised weapon" would be a bonus.
Watch for "Census Taker" (pegasus), "Chuck Wagon" (earth pony), and "Bug Hunter" (unicorn).

Rikifive

No combat in game = No need to be stronger
No need to be stronger = No need to level up
No need to level up = No need to do quests, nor anything (unless the game would be heavily story driven and the progress would be actually seen and game actually beatable
No need to do quests = No actual gameplay (though exploring Equestria and talking with ponies is nice itself, but the game will basically turn into a chat)

To be honest I like where the game is going ~ An actual MMO would be great.   <3

BlueFlowerDragon

My level up usually from the quest
My favorite race is the unicorn, but profession like priest , I want to be Mage,because can deal nice damage
I like life skills than fighting skills
16 kinds of talent from wiki, is that true?

Cogsworth Wingthrop

I didn't mind the combat in the game as it is not, or at least from what I saw, a major part of it.

I only played the one weekend, but I think the combat system needs a little polish. I don't know about others, but I had trouble targeting hostile NPCs.
Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more. Nikola Tesla

White Pony

The leveling up system for combat was to easy.  I found myself at Level 50 in just under two days-- but, that was the combat level.  The other abilities were still low and required additional methods of the pony's capabilities to bring the other levels up. 

I think it would a far better idea to make leveling up much, much slower.  Not by making the monsters a higher level, but by requiring an incremental increase in points required to advance to the next level.  The current system for the combat ability is to easy. 

dynamite

What do you mean about social content? You mean like more team play like dungeons where we work together to clear it? Maybe some minigames to play together I suppose.

Icy Shield

2016 Dec 05, 20:40:14 #15 Last Edit: 2016 Dec 05, 21:03:59 by Icy Shield
Quote from: dynamite on 2016 Dec 04, 12:21:25
What do you mean about social content? You mean like more team play like dungeons where we work together to clear it? Maybe some minigames to play together I suppose.

Social aspects that doesn't consist combat. Disscussions, puzzles, team work minigames, interactions with NPC's and  not combat related skills that can be trained and lvl uped like baking or farming for example. There is plenty possibilities for that.

Post Merge

Quote from: Rikifive on 2016 Aug 10, 10:46:44
No combat in game = No need to be stronger
No need to be stronger = No need to level up
No need to level up = No need to do quests, nor anything (unless the game would be heavily story driven and the progress would be actually seen and game actually beatable
No need to do quests = No actual gameplay (though exploring Equestria and talking with ponies is nice itself, but the game will basically turn into a chat)

To be honest I like where the game is going ~ An actual MMO would be great.   <3

If you have played other mmo's before LoE then you should probably know of not combat related skills that bassed on gathering  raw materials, transfering raw materials to constructive materials and finally crafting required materials to final products that can be used for other purposes like for example creating items supporting other skills, making supplies or items that can be worn and used for different purposes even for cosmetic, clothes/items for passive effects or just armour.
There is even a name for this type of gameplay - skiller. Skiller who mostly spend his character progression with training all not combat related skills. And those skills can be very usefull for supplying other players or yourself and profitable as well. Not to mention it can be very interesting and fun to do those skills.

Let it snow!

NotoriousSMALL

Quote from: Sweet Brew on 2016 Aug 02, 09:52:00
This is a gross generalization. Just because you like combat in games doesn't make you some blood thirsty lunatic... lol lol lol lol lol

Go Up