Regarding forum lag

Started by Lucien, 2013 Nov 26, 13:48:24

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lucien

Can you get rid of some of the inactive threads containing a thousand youtube videos? Can you make it so that youtube embedding no longer works and you just post links now? Because I am very convinced that the sheer amount of youtube videos within these threads causes most of the lag, whereas in a forum like Dream Theater Forums, there is no lag/no youtube embedding support. If I enter any song where the main idea is to post songs, it is EXTREMELY laggy. I think this should be fixed.

Thanks.
Starting anew. I am a musician. My past here means nothing.

Julius

Just because you have issues with a feature it doesn't mean others do too. You seem a bit entitled and rude. Try to ask for a way to solve your issue instead of asking for a whole feature to be removed. >:/
Purr~

Lucien

I didn't really mean to come off as rude, but I'm comparing two forums using the exact same template. One has embed support, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't have support for it I can actually get around on very quickly, whereas this forum that I haven't been on in a while seems to have plenty of lag. Whether or not youtube embedding specifically has anything to do with the lag I get here, but not there is debatable, but that's the only logical explanation I can provide.

As for removing youtube embedding entirely, I don't really see how it would be a problem worthy of complaining. You just click a link instead, which opens a new tab.

McSleuthburger

could you give us some examples (like which threads) are giving you problems or is it just the whole forum
because we switched web hosts a while ago and that caused tons of lag but after it was done there havent been any complaints
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Lucien

The whole forum in general is pretty laggy, and threads like this are a much laggier until all the videos load.

Tekner

2013 Nov 26, 17:29:45 #5 Last Edit: 2013 Nov 26, 17:34:25 by Tekner
Quote from: Lucien on 2013 Nov 26, 14:24:40
As for removing youtube embedding entirely, I don't really see how it would be a problem worthy of complaining. You just click a link instead, which opens a new tab.
Which is almost always more laggy due to the memory and processing overhead of your browser keeping track of that tab in addition to the comment, related videos, and other things loaded and rendered on an actual youtube page versus an embedded video. Lucien, if threads have youtube links in them, especially in the example you provided of threads for songs, then the purpose of that thread is to showcase songs. In those case, it is very appropriate for there to be multiple embedded youtube videos. If people are spamming youtube videos in unrelated threads, then that's an issue in its own right. Embedding youtube shows a thumbnail, name, and easy access to the song all in the same page. Just because you happen to lag more, does not mean an entire system needs to be redone. I hear your complaint, but I'm convimced that your points are not well supported and apply to only a very small portion of the people browsing these forums, of which only you have complained. Not that that is a bad thing, but if we are speaking of facts/statistics, that is one.

Quote from: Lucien on 2013 Nov 26, 17:22:39
The whole forum in general is pretty laggy, and threads like this are a much laggier until all the videos load.
Then the issue is your computer, not the forum. The forums have absolutely no lag for myself and everyone else I am in contact with. I'm sorry to say this, but we are not going to remove features on our site just so you have a less laggy experience. If it's that bothersome, please upgrade your computer hardware.

EDIT: Which browser are you using? Certain browsers opt to render things in different orders/priorities which could cause more lag with things like embedded youtube videos. My browser (Chrome) loads the entire page first and then loads the videos after, which causes no lag to me.

Lucien

I use Firefox, where all tabs are considered one process in the task manager.

Chrome keeps multiple process for each tab. So I suppose for this forum, Chrome is the better option. For a forum without youtube embedding, Firefox is the better option. I suppose that is one reason why I have no trouble on the forum I'm active on: I'm not looking at a bunch of youtube videos at the same time.

Yes, my computer is awful. But there is a significant difference in performance between here and there.

McSleuthburger

I mean it is kinda hard to compare two different forums from each other when you are comparing them on just your end
I would imagine they could respond differently
there are going to be more differences between websites than just youtube videos

We have not noticed any problems with a majority of the users so right now there is no real need to change anything
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Go Up