Offline/LAN capabilities?

Started by the baddest of them all, 2013 Mar 30, 16:36:04

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the baddest of them all

I have been wondering, does Legends of Equestria plan on allowing offline/LAN capabilities? For example, if there is a ton of lag on a server one day or me and a friend are somewhere with no Internet connection, would we still be able to play the game through LAN or just by ourselves? Or would we have to be able to connect to a server? And if so, could we put servers on our own computers by downloading them from the site like in minecraft? Thanks!

Weatherboy1

They've not announced or indicated that you can do this, but this does seem like an alright idea, I mean I think you wouldn't be able to transfer the progress you made on LAN to Server, but regardless it seems like a good idea

HerpyDooves

Now that I think about it, this does sound like a cool idea. Maybe this could be considered by the team, but we'll have to wait and see.

McSleuthburger

im going to say that it is very doubtful that it would ever happen, but somebody else who might have a better idea should respond eentaully
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

HerpyDooves

Quote from: McSleuthburger on 2013 Mar 30, 17:08:19
im going to say that it is very doubtful that it would ever happen, but somebody else who might have a better idea should respond eentaully

I mean, all they would have to add would be single player, and the LAN function. I'm sure if they really put thought into it, they would do it. The server part, not sure.

Tekner

2013 Mar 30, 18:00:10 #5 Last Edit: 2013 Mar 31, 05:03:41 by Tekner
We have no intentions of eventually distributing our server executable.

Pardon me if I misinterpreted
Quote from: the baddest of them all on 2013 Mar 30, 16:36:04
would we still be able to play the game through LAN or just by ourselves?
The answer is that you would not be able to simply because in order to play any MMORPG, you must have a database of characters/quests/etc in order for the game genre itself to even work. That said, if we don't distribute the server/database-template, there is no way to play the game without connecting to our servers.

Quote from: HerpyDooves on 2013 Mar 30, 17:53:02
I mean, all they would have to add would be single player, and the LAN function. I'm sure if they really put thought into it, they would do it. The server part, not sure.
You make it sound as if it's that easy o_O
Is it possible? Yes. Is it plausible with this kind of game? No.
Minecraft is an MMO and we are an MMORPG. They share the lots-of-players-online-at-once part, but everything else is completely dissimilar. I've had many minecraft servers and develop my own mods and plugins, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that the way its server works is nothing like LoE. As mentioned previously, the database structure is completely different for one. The other thing is that minecraft employs an internal server in order for LAN, and now even single player, to function. So this still treads on the previous question of if we'll distribute our server.

Also, the reason (I assume, from a developer's perspective) that Minecraft uses an internal server for even single player is that developing a version that uses a server and one that doesn't is extremely difficult and time-consuming. The easier way, as Mojang clearly demonstrates, is to make a lightweight server built into single player and use the same client code for multiplayer and singleplayer.

HerpyDooves

I started thinking what you said, Tekner. I guess I got Minecraft and a MMORPG mixed up after awhile. I do understand the differences between Minecraft and the regular MMORPG, and I guess I got too carried away the longer I stayed on this thread. lol

So, offline is impossible?

Chishio Kunrin

There is the fact that, when you log into the game, you'll be logging in using your forum account.
And like Tekner said, a pretty good chunk of the game will be stored in the server, not your client - NPCs, quests, etc.

So, no, there will most likely not be an offline mode.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

HerpyDooves

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2013 Mar 30, 19:58:38
There is the fact that, when you log into the game, you'll be logging in using your forum account.
And like Tekner said, a pretty good chunk of the game will be stored in the server, not your client - NPCs, quests, etc.

So, no, there will most likely not be an offline mode.

*Sad face* That's alright. I understand

AntlerShy

An MMORPG is not just an RPG with some online functionality added to it, but the entire game is built around the MMO part. Apart from the technical details of this not being plausible, some of which have been mentioned, it just doesn't make sense, as online is part of the genre. It's like asking for a turn based mode for a RTS. The mechanics won't work out that way.

the baddest of them all

OK, thanks! I wasn't sure how it works and was just curious if it was a possibility. Thanks for taking the time to answer me!

McSleuthburger

question answered

KER-LOCK
Ye-olde ex mod
You've just been McSleuthburgered!

Go Up