Spyro the Dragon

Started by Rissian, 2012 Nov 07, 13:33:00

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Rissian

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

I could have sworn a Spyro the dragon thread already existed at some point so has anyone else here played the series I mainly like the first 3 games. Spyro was actually the first game I ever played on PSX because whenever you bought a new PSX they gave you a free demo disc with multiple demos on it and the Spyro 1 demo was the first game I played on a PSX. I eventually got the game for Christmas but sucked at taking care of discs and it eventually broke. I did find my Spyro Ripto's rage disc though, which I might play later today if it's still in working condition.  ovO Although looking at the disc it isn't promising going to try and clean it.

Xeno Aura

I want to buy Spyro Gateway to Glimmer again, but it costs £15 for it over here, the most expensive of the original trilogy. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it cheap.

Rissian

I wouldn't mind getting Spyro the Dragon then Spyro Year of the Dragon again, I liked Spyro 2 but not as much as Spyro 1 and 3. I think Spyro 3 had the crazy caveman world with dinosaurs.

Xeno Aura

Think I'll have to look around at video game shops that sell older games, everywhere online charges unreasonable amounts for them. :P

Cheapest I can find Spyro 2 is about $22.

Others cost around $18 each.

Chishio Kunrin

Man, I loved Spyro as a kid. <3 I think it might have been the first video game I ever played.
(Meanwhile, the first anime I ever watched is still in confusion)

Unfortunately, I barely remember it. I think I didn't much like the mini-games where you had to fly through rings. I really liked trying to collect gems. One thing I didn't much like, though, is how much HP you had because of Sparx. However, the HP system was pretty creative. A dragon with a dragonfly familiar.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Rissian

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Nov 07, 20:24:49
Man, I loved Spyro as a kid. <3 I think it might have been the first video game I ever played.
(Meanwhile, the first anime I ever watched is still in confusion)

Unfortunately, I barely remember it. I think I didn't much like the mini-games where you had to fly through rings. I really liked trying to collect gems. One thing I didn't much like, though, is how much HP you had because of Sparx. However, the HP system was pretty creative. A dragon with a dragonfly familiar.

I think I mainly liked collecting my favorite color of gems although because of how you could use them to buy stuff in some of the games I started collecting them all. I can't remember what my favorite gem was though, I know blue is my favorite color but I also like emerald green. The flying minigames were the ones that gave me the most trouble and actually made me mad at the game it's why I don't like them that much.

I also freaking disliked those egg stealing enemy's they drove me insane with them always going "Na na na naaa, haha,ha."  :I

Shadow Mare

What are ya thoughts on Legend of Spyro? Any good?

Xeno Aura

Going to try and get to a local video game shop on Saturday, they still sell old Saturn/SMS/PS1/N64 games, so they might have one of the Spyro games in for cheaper than they sell online.

Rissian

Quote from: Shadow Mare on 2012 Nov 08, 11:48:32

It sort of depends on what your first Spyro game was most older fans of the original series probably won't like it as much as they really changed a lot in it, Spyro's new VA is Elijah wood, Sparx talks like the emperors new groove dude can't remember his VA.
(I have nothing against the actors as I liked Lord of the rings and the Emperor's new groove I just don't think they fit the characters too well.) The legend of Spyro sort of turned the series into a linear button masher with a lord of the rings styled story kind of.

It really depends on if you don't mind much change or not some original fans like it some don't. My issue was the VA's and the linear feeling of the game, where as Spyro 1-3 you could sort of pick which worlds you wanted to play using the gate things, and they gave you optional things to do and such.

Lary

2012 Nov 08, 16:01:26 #9 Last Edit: 2012 Nov 08, 16:05:24 by Lary
I loved the Spyro trilogy. I always thought Crash and Spyro would become a thing like Mario and Sonic had. Unfortunately, Naughty Dog sold the rights, and Insomniac Games gave up on Spyro because 'there wasn't anything more they could do with him'.

I have to say Spyro 2 (Gateway to Glimmer/Ripto's Rage) was my favorite of them (though I wasn't fond of the 'spirit' collecting from enemies rather than gems).

Little fun fact: Ripto got his name from how Spyro's Japanese name was written.

---

Quote from: Shadow Mare on 2012 Nov 08, 11:48:32

If you grew up on the first 3 Spyro the Dragon games, avoid them at all costs. They will taunt you through your nostalgia goggles and tear your childhood limb from limb. Take it from me.

Alone, they're pretty decent.
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

Rissian

Well my Spyro Ripto's rage disc is also unreadable.  :l Curse you childhood and your inability to take care of game discs compared to cartridges! I can at least buy the games online or from vintage stock which I probably will again when I have the money starting with Spyro 1.  ovO

Lary

It took me a couple hours to clear Spyro 3 100% (1st time).
It took me a couple weeks to clear Spyro 2 100% (1st time).
It took me my entire childhood to clear Spyro 1 100% (1st time).

(Curse you, Lofty Towers Supercharge!!)
Could've been something great. But ya' blew it... Ya' blew it.

ShadowHeart

I luv Spyro so much. I've played A New Beginning, The Eternal Night, and Dawn of the Dragon....yes I played Skylanders a bit but it was way too easy and the plot was terrible, and it u could win easily if you had more than one skylander so it made it a little unfair :P I wish Spyro could go back to being not a kids toy. btw, ive never played the older games but I want to

Join the changeling herd, or she'll devour your love!

Shadow Mare

Quote from: ShadowHeart on 2012 Nov 16, 13:22:24
I luv Spyro so much. I've played A New Beginning, The Eternal Night, and Dawn of the Dragon....yes I played Skylanders a bit but it was way too easy and the plot was terrible, and it u could win easily if you had more than one skylander so it made it a little unfair :P I wish Spyro could go back to being not a kids toy. btw, ive never played the older games but I want to

Play Giants, it has Hard and Nightmare modes and for plot being terrible? Its for kids! Where you expecting something deep? I never play the old classic spyro games but I'm pretty sure its plot wasn't anything to write home about.

Rissian

Spyro 1-3's plots are kind of like cartoon plots although 2 and 3 had more serious plots though they were largely comedy based, it's still fun to go through the story though I know I had fun watching some of the cut scenes as a kid. All of the games had a purpose and story at least and they even connected each games story.

Go Up