[MLP Fan-Game] Adventure is Magic: Road to Arath

Started by Xeno Aura, 2012 Oct 21, 15:38:23

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xeno Aura

QuoteIt's... One. Evil. Pink. Mustache.

Wow, I'll see what I can do.

QuoteThink the slimes could be replaced with something else? Like Parasprites? Slimes are in almost every game you know.

Yep I know slimes are in almost every game, primarily because they're easy to program and to make sprites for. :D I probably will replace them with Parasprites.

QuoteWhat about evil ponies too?

I'd rather not fight other ponies. ;)

QuoteChangelings could be interesting... Same with storm clouds...

Perhaps I can find a place for these, we'll have to see...

QuoteSOMBRA CRYSTALS! POISON JOKE! ENEMIES WITH MUSTACHES!

I'd like to add the latter 2, not sure where I could fit in the Crystals, or what they'd do, other than hurt. :P

It is Monday, and so begins the endless bug fixing.

Not looking forward to designing sprites for enemies. :(

Xeno Aura

Another update, again, you can watch the video or just read below if you can't be bothered. :P

Sorry about the video quality, was recording on my phone, for reasons explained in the video.

Spoiler: show

Highlights:

- Parasprite enemy added, not fully programmed yet
- I will no longer be taking Wine into account when making the game, I'm making the game purely for Windows, and we'll just have to work out how/if we can get it working in Wine when the game is released.
- Single player mode does still work in Wine at the moment, but all multiplayer functions don't appear to work, given my limited knowledge of Linux and Wine.
- Experimental network mode added for 2 players currently, connects via Direct IP, shown in the video.
- A few bugs fixed, mainly the ones visible in the first dev log.

akirawind0

This game resemble just a little of terraria

studying is learning
teach is a ability
Crystal Is Style

Xeno Aura

Quote from: akirawind0 on 2012 Nov 25, 15:30:57
This game resemble just a little of terraria

In the original OP, I did mention I had drawn some inspiration from Terraria, but it's been edited out since then, as I've gradually revised it.

I feel I should elaborate a bit more on the WINE situation, as it seems harsh to just say that I'm dropping all support (Which, at the moment, I am, unfortunately).

Basically there are 2 DLL files, 1 for Xbox 360 controller input, and 1 for the networking, I can get neither of these DLL's to function in WINE for Linux, therefore neither the 360 controller nor the networking function.

I do not know much about WINE or Linux, someone with knowledge of them might be able to get it working, I don't know.

I have my 360 controller working in Linux, I haven't tested if it's working in programs under WINE, if it doesn't, it'll be a problem with how I setup my 360 controller, and there is still hope for local multiplayer.

Networking I just don't know, it doesn't form any connection with other PC's, and I'm presuming WINE just doesn't like the DLL.

But as I said, I have no experience with WINE really, it may require programming knowledge to get the DLL's working, it may simply be a case of the right WINE configuration, I really don't know.

I will test the game periodically on WINE, to see if the singleplayer still works, and keep you updated on that aspect of it.

If anyone does have some experience using WINE, and has any tips/tricks for me to try out, to see if I can get it working, I'm all ears.

Julius

Awesome! Network multiplayer is a win! :D

Shame about it being Windows only, but hey, it's not a problem anyways. ^-^
Purr~

Xeno Aura

I also forgot to mention that I already have chat in the network multiplayer, so you can type messages to each other.

Monday, so I shall do some work on this today. Hopefully getting network mode sorted for 3/4 players, currently it only supports 2.

I will also see what went wrong in network mode. I'm not sure I mentioned this, but noone can connect to the host (whether it be LAN, Hamachi or Internet) if the host firewall is on. I have a feeling it never notified me the program was being blocked, and so the firewall was blocking it without my knowledge, we'll have to see...

Julius

Quote from: Pinkielover123 on 2012 Nov 28, 11:08:43
Is it out yet? I really wanna play :D

Not quite. I don't think it will be ready for a while. Still, I'm sure Xeno's doing his best, so be patient. ^-^
Purr~

Xeno Aura

Quote from: Pinkielover123 on 2012 Nov 28, 11:08:43
Is it out yet? I really wanna play :D

Pretty much what Julius said.

Network programming isn't really enjoyable for me as I'm not used to it, so it's hard to keep pressing ahead with it.

As soon as I get over a couple of major hurdles, which I hope to do within the next 10 days, it should become easier for me to progress with the game, and keep the network side of things up to par with it.

Because of this networking, I haven't been able to work on anything else, this has my full attention at the moment. As such, I may not make a dev log this weekend, as all I've done is behind the scenes stuff related to networking, and Friday I will be working on another project, not related to MLP.

*Goes back to staring at several hundred lines of code, and weeping bitterly.*

Xeno Aura

2012 Dec 15, 13:01:28 #49 Last Edit: 2012 Dec 15, 13:07:40 by Xeno Aura
Ok, I'm going to release the game pretty much as it was in the 2nd developers log, minus the networking.

It has countless bugs and glitches, but once I release it, I *should* be able to easily update the game, and everyone will be able to run the updater program to get the latest version.

Hopefully I'll be able to get updates done thick and fast over the holiday season, and fix the most obvious bugs (as there are some obvious ones)

Known issues:

Slimes can't jump up hills very well
Player 3 and 4's inventories are always open on 1 and 2 player modes
Trying to change race will probably cause errors, as will any character customization, I heavily suggest you don't bother trying to customize the character.
WASD controls aren't in yet
Equipment slots don't work
Cannot unequip armour
Credits glitch out, can't see all text, no main menu afterwards
You can't really lose
Getting hit whilst in an elevator can cause you to fall out of the elevator, and get stuck
Hitting ENTER like a madman, whilst next to an elevator, will cause a glitch.
And other things, that I can't remember right now, basically most things don't work properly yet.

If you find a bug, then I'd be grateful if you mention it here, I probably have found most of them, but it never hurts.

Definitely report any bugs that cause the game to fatally crash.

This is pretty much a pre-alpha, not much to do in the game, other than fight in 1 cave.

Download Link:
http://www.mlprpg.darkfire-ent.com/AiM%20RtA.rar

I'd prefer not to hear comments about how unfinished the game is, I am fully aware of that fact. I am however, open to all suggestions as to what might be added/changed.

I will post here to inform people when the first update is out, as I want to see if the updater works for everyone, but after that, I will not post about updates unless they are major.

Julius

Great! I'm so excited yet... I can't play. At least not at the moment (Or frequently). You know, Mac and all. :P
Purr~

Xeno Aura

Well, you're not missing out on much, basically the dev logs contain all you can do, although I fixed a couple of things since then, and broke a couple of things.

I believe Mac has a version of WINE available for it? I think you may be able to get the singleplayer mode working on that, if it's the same as the Linux version.

Julius

Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Dec 15, 13:16:26
Well, you're not missing out on much, basically the dev logs contain all you can do, although I fixed a couple of things since then, and broke a couple of things.

I believe Mac has a version of WINE available for it? I think you may be able to get the singleplayer mode working on that, if it's the same as the Linux version.

Indeed it does. Do you know how to use Wine? I've tried a few times before and I always fail completely. :D
Purr~

Xeno Aura

2012 Dec 15, 13:32:17 #53 Last Edit: 2012 Dec 15, 13:34:14 by Xeno Aura
On Linux it's a simple case of installing it and running the .exe...

I've never used a Mac.

You could dualboot with Mac and Linux I guess? But it's not really worth installing Linux to play one game.

You could try this guide: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Julius

I got to the character select screen!... With no background or sound. And that's it for my adventure towards Arath for now! lol
Purr~

Xeno Aura

Heh, the only sound in the game for now is the music once you enter the game world.

Did it crash before you got in? Or did you not continue further?

Julius

It crashed right after I clicked the button to start the game, so yes, before I got in.

I tried both while customizing and without customizing my pony, several times.
Purr~

Xeno Aura

No error message?

I think it must be a WINE specific crash then, if you were indeed using WINE.

Julius

Yup, it was Wine. I believe there was a little box that said that the app had crashed, and that it was closing.

I wouldn't call that an error message exactly. :P
Purr~

Xeno Aura

2012 Dec 15, 16:55:41 #59 Last Edit: 2012 Dec 16, 12:08:00 by Xeno Aura
I don't know what could be causing it, many things are initiated when you click that button.

Won't be an update out today, even though I would have liked to release one... I have to be up in a few hours, so I need to get some sleep soon.

But there will definitely be an update out tomorrow, I'll try changing some things and seeing if it works under WINE then, I've also fixed a couple of things etc. It'll all be in the CHANGELOG.txt of the updated game.

Goodnight

EDIT: Due to personal reasons, I will no longer be developing this game, or visiting this forum anymore.

I cannot provide source code due to assets being owned by others, who gave permission for me to use them.

Go Up