First

Started by Cerebrate, 2012 Aug 13, 21:02:28

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Firefly

Quote from: Zbizo on 2012 Aug 19, 19:38:24
With speed like this we would be able to play LoE in 2030 year. I hope g5 won't be as bad as gens before g3

what do you mean  :/ It's not exactly very possible for them to take up to 18+ years to complete the game. Maybe 2 years for each stage (and taking that they have already begun working to the Alpha stage, they might complete the pre-alpha stage in another year's time), which would add up to a total of around 7-8 years...

That's a 10 year difference >_>
[move=6][/move]Thanks Skardan (signature) and Fudgemuffin (avatar) :D
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

Tiger

Quote from: Zbizo on 2012 Aug 19, 19:38:24
With speed like this we would be able to play LoE in 2030 year. I hope g5 won't be as bad as gens before g3

Is that an insult?

A link to my tumblr above!
Tiger's OC page. Should re-do it...

Tekner

2012 Aug 20, 03:24:39 #42 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 21, 13:37:43 by SweBow
Quote from: Firefly on 2012 Aug 19, 20:23:32
Maybe 2 years for each stage (and taking that they have already begun working to the Alpha stage, they might complete the pre-alpha stage in another year's time), which would add up to a total of around 7-8 years...

That's a 10 year difference >_>
Even that is a huge exaggeration. While it is true we can't say when it will be done, I'm pretty sure we can say how long it won't take. 7-8 years to get into beta (when we'll release it) is just way too long. I'm sure the entire team would agree that it won't take more than 2 or maybe even one more year to get into beta. At this point it just comes down to how many people we have working on the game at any given point. We have about 80 people on our roster, but only around a quarter of that (usually always the same people) are working on it at a time. And even then it's in our free time because this is a volunteer project.

Believe me I understand how frustrating it is to wait.
"No you don't! You have access to the game and work on it every day!"
That may be so, but there are two things I'd like to bring to light:

• I used to be just an average Joe Schmoe like you guys and I know firsthand what it was like to wait and not know how they're doing until they release some kind of information. We all were in that position at some point.

• Pretty much the only reason we even work on this project is because we want to deliver a great game to you guys and make your faces light up like a thousand suns. There is one video in particular I found on youtube of a group of guys playing LoE at galacon and they were having so much fun. It really made my day, or even week or month, just to watch them have so much fun playing a game I help foster.

Slicy

I wish that LoE will always be free to play, without thing like premium account, items etc. And that any donation will be taken as a tip for team. If it's volunteer project, I think that this will always be that :)

Xeno Aura

As MLP is owned by Hasbro, I'm fairly sure it would breach copyright if they did start to charge money for it, even micro-transactions.

And SweBow has explicitely stated several times that it will always be free. :)

Tekner

2012 Aug 20, 23:44:55 #45 Last Edit: 2012 Aug 20, 23:48:24 by Tekner
Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Aug 20, 04:24:10
As MLP is owned by Hasbro, I'm fairly sure it would breach copyright if they did start to charge money for it, even micro-transactions.

Us charging for the game would be deemed fair use, actually. That is not to say we will take advantage of that and charge. I'd just like to make that clear. The biggest reason LoE would not breach copyrights is because of this:
Spoiler: Mazer v. Stein, 347 U.S. 201, 217 (1954) • show
The Supreme Court stated "Unlike a patent, a copyright gives no exclusive right to the art disclosed; protection is given only to the expression of the idea--not the idea itself."
Furthermore, there are four qualifications for fair use, and as far as I and some legal council I know can tell, LoE would not breach any of them substantially. There are one of three things LoE would have to do to breach fair use:

• Explicitly add copyrighted characters/locations/entities and utilize them in a way that defames either Hasbro or any of its property.

• Copy the entirety, or majority, of any copyrighted content and claim it as our own or give no obvious credit to Hasbro for it. Even with credit, however, this must be done sparingly and with extreme caution.

• Take content from MLP:FiM, regardless of how much, that is core to its commercial success, fame/identity, or storyline. E.g. Adding quests that revolve around using the elements of harmony to defeat a boss, or adding dialogue taken or obviously derived from the show.

We are using our own quest/story line, our own NPCs, our own buildings/maps (many derived from the show, albeit), our own abilities and concepts, you name it. It is a fan game through-and-through, but we are not stealing anything from Hasbro and do not deny in any way that MLP:FiM is a derivative of our work.
Quote from: Xeno Aura on 2012 Aug 20, 04:24:10
And SweBow has explicitely stated several times that it will always be free. :)
He has, and I will in no way defy what he has said. A reality must be made, one that he is aware of, however, that we probably won't be able to keep the servers running forever out of pocket and we will have to take donations at some point. When this may happen is completely guess-work, but I'm sure SweBow would agree that donations are likely something we'll have to look into unless we miraculously gain some kind of sponsorship. This is, of course, not something we ever talk about because it's extremely irrelevant considering how far along the game is. We have a lot more to get done before that's going to be a legitimate topic of conversation. So please hold any questions you may have about donating (we've received quite a few, trust me.)

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Tekner on 2012 Aug 20, 23:44:55
There are one of three things LoE would have to do to breach fair use:

• Explicitly add copyrighted characters/locations/entities and utilize them in a way that defames either Hasbro or any of its property.

• Copy the entirety, or majority, of any copyrighted content and claim it as our own or give no obvious credit to Hasbro for it. Even with credit, however, this must be done sparingly and with extreme caution.

• Take content from MLP:FiM, regardless of how much, that is core to its commercial success, fame/identity, or storyline. E.g. Adding quests that revolve around using the elements of harmony to defeat a boss, or adding dialogue taken or obviously derived from the show.

Ugh. Sorry if this sounds super unrelated, but that reminds me of a certain rock star's son who thought he could copy and plagiarize whatever he wanted to make and sell his own manga. :x What really made it obvious that he stole dialogue was that the character he gave the dialogue to looked exactly like and was obviously traced from the character he stole the dialogue from.

"(Ticktock, time is running out) What are you doing now?
I don't know where you are, don't even know your name.
They think I'm crazy, my heartbeat goes up..."

Book Smarts

They start asking for money, Hasbro will start asking for lawyers  lol

Firefly

Quote from: Book Smarts on 2012 Aug 21, 21:15:57
They start asking for money, Hasbro will start asking for lawyers  lol

nice one XD
[move=6][/move]Thanks Skardan (signature) and Fudgemuffin (avatar) :D
If I owe you any work you can always visit my gallery: http://icepool27.deviantart.com/gallery/

Spirit!

Game update... I will not sleep tonight  *-*

not really active on here

Morgan Sententia

Am willing to wait, i have very good patience. Like Franklin said...

"He that can have patience can have what he will."
? Benjamin Franklin  :]

PinkiePuddi

Quote from: Spirittai1 on 2012 Aug 23, 18:01:45

When did they say there was going to be an update??

I have a feeling some information has slipped passed me.

Bluebell

I am too excited for this game xD When alpha is released the poor, frail, new server will probably crash under the weight of so many fans, though.
It happens. I remember following FeralHeart (an artistic MMO; populated my immature people, but a good roleplay isn't too hard to come by) and the game was released in February 2011. The server crashed. The game became playable March 2011 xD  The server is stable now, of course.

SweBow

Quote from: Bluebell on 2012 Aug 23, 21:33:31
I am too excited for this game xD When alpha is released the poor, frail, new server will probably crash under the weight of so many fans, though.
It happens. I remember following FeralHeart (an artistic MMO; populated my immature people, but a good roleplay isn't too hard to come by) and the game was released in February 2011. The server crashed. The game became playable March 2011 xD  The server is stable now, of course.

the Alpha will never be released to the public

LaptopCommandStation

Quote from: SweBow on 2012 Aug 23, 22:14:52

the Alpha will never be released to the public

TBH, most Alphas aren't, and I think that's a good thing

Chishio Kunrin

They said it'll be released in Beta, not Alpha. ^-^

Spirit!

Quote from: PinkiePuddi on 2012 Aug 23, 21:24:08
Quote from: Spirittai1 on 2012 Aug 23, 18:01:45

When did they say there was going to be an update??

I have a feeling some information has slipped passed me.

What do you mean? they got something crossed off their list. I considered that as an update  ^-^

not really active on here

Bluebell

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 23, 22:59:55

That's what I meant -_-
Anyways, that's what might happen. Seriously.

Chishio Kunrin

Quote from: Bluebell on 2012 Aug 24, 09:28:30

That's what I meant -_-

What's with -_- face? o.O There's a difference between Alpha and Beta, and there have been fans who actually think it'll be released in Alpha. So I was just making sure you knew.

I'm sure they're gonna prepare the servers for the players as much as they can. And I guess the strain on the servers is one of the things we'll be testing in Beta. :P All of us playing Beta will help them find problems and prepare for Full Release.

Bluebell

Quote from: Chishio Kunrin on 2012 Aug 25, 21:09:07
Quote from: Bluebell on 2012 Aug 24, 09:28:30

That's what I meant -_-

What's with -_- face? o.O There's a difference between Alpha and Beta, and there have been fans who actually think it'll be released in Alpha. So I was just making sure you knew.

I'm sure they're gonna prepare the servers for the players as much as they can. And I guess the strain on the servers is one of the things we'll be testing in Beta. :P All of us playing Beta will help them find problems and prepare for Full Release.

Because I simply mistyped. I've Alpha and Beta tested before.
And yeah, they'll probably take it slow in Beta. Perhaps they'll filter new accounts so the server isn't strained? :\

Go Up