Seasaon 1 Discussion

Started by Griffon, 2014 Jun 30, 18:32:46

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Griffon

Let's go back in time and start 10.10.2010.

First FiM Episode ever got released.

Over A Barrel caused a commision, Derpy's first days, the Gala build up and on.

So, here we go.
Princess Celestia: Ah, Philomena, my pet. You're awake.

LostSanity

I actually didn't watch Season 1 until after the season had ended.

Because I wasn't a brony yet. I kept hearing too much about it and saw stuff about it on several forums I visited.

I started considering checking it out. Due to what it was... I felt like I was losing my sanity (which explains my username).

Eventually I caved and viewed S1E1 on YouTube. I got through the first season relatively quickly after that.

The rest is history I guess you could say. lol.

:D
[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Bro1997

I knew about the Brony fandom as early as 2011, but was never truly interested until 2012. Even then, I was worried that liking ponies would be a bad thing so I didn't truly start watching this show until January of 2014. I feel bad that I waited so long to enjoy something like this. I just hope this show goes on to at least 2018. I've read that according to Russian forums or something that the Equestria Girls movies would continue until 2017. IDK, I've now become a MLP fan in general now enjoying G3 movies and such. I'm just hoping G5 will be as good as G4 and not another G2 because that was a total failure for the now 31 year old franchise.

Mizuki

I remember I got into FiM when Lauren Faust posted a link to the first episode on her deviantart! :3

Season 1. Good times, good times..

Not to be confused with Zukiuke

Bro1997

2014 Aug 04, 23:53:12 #4 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 04, 23:56:28 by Bro1997
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 04, 23:43:19
I remember I got into FiM when Lauren Faust posted a link to the first episode on her DeviantArt! :3

She has a DeviantArt too!? What animator and artist these days don't?
I wondering if this is after Faust founded out about the posts on 4Chan and decided to put a link on her DeviantArt to attract more fans! :D
BTW, what was posted on 4Chan back during the series premiere in 2010 that got people's attention into liking this show!?

Post Merge

Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 Jul 01, 17:58:06
I actually didn't watch Season 1 until after the season had ended.

Because I wasn't a brony yet. I kept hearing too much about it and saw stuff about it on several forums I visited.

I started considering checking it out. Due to what it was... I felt like I was losing my sanity (which explains my username).

Eventually I caved and viewed S1E1 on YouTube. I got through the first season relatively quickly after that.

The rest is history I guess you could say. lol.

:D

So you became a brony in 2012, correct?

Post Merge

Quote from: Griffon on 2014 Jun 30, 18:32:46

Let's go back in time and start 10.10.2010.

First FiM Episode ever got released.

Over A Barrel caused a commision, Derpy's first days, the Gala build up and on.

So, here we go.

The 1st season is always the best with every tv show. I enjoyed the first season the best!

Mizuki

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 04, 23:53:12
I remember I got into FiM when Lauren Faust posted a link to the first episode on her DeviantArt! :3

I wondering if this is after Faust founded out about the posts on 4Chan and decided to put a link on her DeviantArt to attract more fans! :D
BTW, what was posted on 4Chan back during the series premiere in 2010 that got people's attention into liking this show!?

Yep, here it is: http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

Also she had her deviant art account for 9 years now. I was watching her about 2 years before FiM had aired. It makes me wish I had saved her original concept art for the mane 6 in a larger size before she deleted them ono It was through her deviantART that I found out that she got put in charge of revamping the franchise to begin with :)

As for what got 4chan interested in FiM, it was a lot of things. Most people on the /co/ (cartoon) board already knew who Lauren Faust was. Not to mention, before the show had even aired, there were little "Meet the Ponies!" clips floating around on the official MLP site. From this, a controversial Ms Magazine article was created, (It has since been deleted) claiming that the show was....well, to put it lightly, "going to be a lot of horrible things". Faust wrote a brilliant rebuttal of course, so that got 4chan even more curious. As did another controversial article, claiming that everything would soon become commercialized and that the "creator-driven era" was coming to an end.

It was also helpful that people uploaded full length episodes in HD on youtube which made the show much more accessable (before it came to DVD or Netflix) and everything just spiraled out of control from there! lol

Bro1997

2014 Aug 05, 00:50:42 #6 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 05, 01:00:45 by Bro1997
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 05, 00:20:59
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 04, 23:53:12

Yep, here it is: http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

Also she had her deviant art account for 9 years now. I was watching her about 2 years before FiM had aired. It makes me wish I had saved her original concept art for the mane 6 in a larger size before she deleted them ono It was through her deviantART that I found out that she got put in charge of revamping the franchise to begin with :)

As for what got 4chan interested in FiM, it was a lot of things. Most people on the /co/ (cartoon) board already knew who Lauren Faust was. Not to mention, before the show had even aired, there were little "Meet the Ponies!" clips floating around on the official MLP site. From this, a controversial Ms Magazine article was created, (It has since been deleted) claiming that the show was....well, to put it lightly, "going to be a lot of horrible things". Faust wrote a brilliant rebuttal of course, so that got 4chan even more curious. As did another controversial article, claiming that everything would soon become commercialized and that the "creator-driven era" was coming to an end.

It was also helpful that people uploaded full length episodes in HD on youtube which made the show much more accessable (before it came to DVD or Netflix) and everything just spiraled out of control from there! lol

Now it makes a lot more sense to me. Lauren Faust was trying to change the image of cartoons intended for little girls to have real lessons on friendship and not be all girly too-shoes. She was trying to create a creative cartoon that would boost the sales for MLP while preventing any criticism over the looks of the ponies and the lack of real conflict. It's ironic that she knew that people would label MLP FIM as cheap and girlish, yet look what it's became. It's the longest running television show based on the franchise! And I'm certain she never would've expected an adult fandom to rise. She did a lot to save MLP and we should be lucky to have her. The fact that people starting uploading full episodes of the show after it started also would've helped with the adult fandom's beginnings. It's also interesting that an article was released not too long after Discovery Kids ended that was called "the creator-driven era" was coming to an end. Well, that didn't seem to be the case with some shows apparently. Especially this one! It's the only cartoon I'll watch on TV now that still on the air. I thought it started because some men were watching the show with their little daughters and founded out how good it was. I'm wondering if the "Meet the Ponies" clips are still around somewhere? Why were they on the MLP site before the show aired? Was it just prior to the Hub's launch and the end of G3.5 to show the new generation and show? BTW, did Hasbro plan G4 as early as 2007? Just wanted to know because Faust's drawing go back to some pitch bible in 2008 when G3.5 was just introduced. Who made G3 also? I'd want to know that one.

Mizuki

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 05, 00:50:42
Now it makes a lot more sense to me. Lauren Faust was trying to change the image of cartoons intended for little girls to have real lessons on friendship and not be all girly too-shoes. She was trying to create a creative cartoon that would boost the sales for MLP while preventing any criticism over the looks of the ponies and the lack of real conflict. It's ironic that she knew that people would label MLP FIM as cheap and girlish, yet look what it's became. It's the longest running television show based on the franchise! And I'm certain she never would've expected an adult fandom to rise. She did a lot to save MLP and we should be lucky to have her. The fact that people starting uploading full episodes of the show after it started also would've helped with the adult fandom's beginnings. It's also interesting that an article was released not too long after Discovery Kids ended that was called "the creator-driven era" was coming to an end. Well, that didn't seem to be the case with some shows apparently. Especially this one! It's the only cartoon I'll watch on TV now that still on the air. I thought it started because some men were watching the show with their little daughters and founded out how good it was. I'm wondering if the "Meet the Ponies" clips are still around somewhere? Why were they on the MLP site before the show aired? Was it just prior to the Hub's launch and the end of G3.5 to show the new generation and show? BTW, did Hasbro plan G4 as early as 2007? Just wanted to know because Faust's drawing go back to some pitch bible in 2008 when G3.5 was just introduced. Who made G3 also? I'd want to know that one.

Yes I totally adore her! :3 Now I'm gonna try to address all your questions in chronological order:

1) You can find the official "Meet the Ponies!" vids on the official MLP youtube channel. Scroll down 'til you see any video titled "Meet (insert pony here)".
2) You guessed right! G3.5 was ending and Hasbro was getting ready for its new generation. They even had flash games that gave you an idea of what the show would look like before they even posted the videos.
3) That's a good question. I know in 2009, L.F. was pretty much MIA from the interwebz because she was working on MLP. The earliest we ever heard of this (at least from her specifically) was on January 1st, 2010.
4) I'm not sure who made G3 ono I had just assumed it was a bunch of Hasbro executives making whatever they assumed that Little Girls were into.

Bro1997

2014 Aug 05, 10:29:50 #8 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 05, 10:33:01 by Bro1997
Quote from: Mizuki on 2014 Aug 05, 02:29:34
Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 05, 00:50:42

Yes I totally adore her! :3 Now I'm gonna try to address all your questions in chronological order:

1) You can find the official "Meet the Ponies!" vids on the official MLP youtube channel. Scroll down 'til you see any video titled "Meet (insert pony here)".
2) You guessed right! G3.5 was ending and Hasbro was getting ready for its new generation. They even had flash games that gave you an idea of what the show would look like before they even posted the videos.
3) That's a good question. I know in 2009, L.F. was pretty much MIA from the interwebz because she was working on MLP. The earliest we ever heard of this (at least from her specifically) was on January 1st, 2010.
4) I'm not sure who made G3 ono I had just assumed it was a bunch of Hasbro executives making whatever they assumed that Little Girls were into.

1) Thanks for the information on the Meet the Ponies clips. I think they may have been on some of the early G4 MLP DVDs as well.
2) Wow. Flash games for the new generation. That most have got at least the young females excited for the new generation. Hasbro is really intelligent when it comes to marketing. Discovery Kids (The Hub as of October 2010) wasn't doing well during it's last years I know. The last show aired was Kenny the Shark. That I think was the same day MLP FIM first premiered! The first show shown on The Hub was Twisted Whiskers though.
3) Well, some of her work on DeviantArt are some of the original pitches for G4 MLP. I know at least the original drawing for Big Macintosh (Big Apple before legal issues came about) was created by Faust in 2008! Hasbro probably needed a new generation as early as 2007 though! BTW, did you know the Big Macintosh was intended to have owned the farm (Hence the original name Big Apple Orchards), but instead decided to make it a family business. Makes you wonder if Applejack and Apple Bloom were even part of his family then.
4) I'm certain that one of the executives was directly responsible for the G3 design though. I don't know though who actually animated the G3 specials. Just the fact it was released by Hasbro Entertainment (Predecessor to Hasbro Studios) and Paramount Pictures (Before Shout! came around)

LostSanity

I have no idea when I became a brony. All I remember is that it was after Season 1 had already ended.

It wasn't exactly something I wrote down...

X3

[shadow=gray,left]I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS[/shadow]

The Roman Reigns of the forum

Bro1997

Quote from: LostSanity on 2014 Aug 05, 17:51:13
I have no idea when I became a brony. All I remember is that it was after Season 1 had already ended.

It wasn't exactly something I wrote down...

X3

Probably around later 2011 or early 2012, perhaps? I've became a brony just because of how big it has become and I decided to try the show out and now I'm not just a brony, but a general MLP fan as well!!!! 0:)

Dashieisbestpony

I got into MLP: FiM Around march of 2012, when my little sister showed me the series on netflix, I flipped out and watched it and got hooked, and here I am today lol
Oof it's been too long

Bro1997

Quote from: Dashieisbestpony on 2014 Aug 05, 18:29:52
I got into MLP: FiM Around march of 2012, when my little sister showed me the series on netflix, I flipped out and watched it and got hooked, and here I am today lol

Very interesting that someone part of the target demographic got you into the show. Did you watch the show with her? Did she originally force you to watch the show or did you want to watch the show because you've heard of the bronies and wanted to try it out. I've heard of them as early as 2011 and tried to watch the first episode in 2012. Sadly didn't hold my interest enough as I was worried about the idea of liking ponies then. So, I finally decided in December of 2013 that in January I would start watching the series and that's basically how I got into it.

Go Up