Equestrian technology

Started by Griffon, 2014 May 21, 18:28:09

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

AaronMk

Obviously Equestrian technology is mid-century, post-war Atomic tech projected across a time-line of roughly a hundred years or preserving the same values and culture in the interests in competing with the filthy zebras.

Spoiler: show

Therefore in the ultimate projection to the inevitable conclusion: Red Eye did nothing wrong.

#DeposeGothsFromRomanClay

Dawnstar

They put a C&D on Button's Adventures because he was using actual characters from the show and was animating them at near show quality. The CMC title screen before the animations probably didn't help either. The reason you don't see the items in technologies that were used in those animations in the show itself is because the show's creators haven't felt it necessary to put such things in the show. I'm sure if they wanted to put in more modern technologies that we are familiar with into the show they would, but that's at their discretion.

Also, the existence of the hydroelectric dam I mentioned that has been shown in a couple episodes gives strong evidence that they do use a reasonable amount of electricity for something in Equestria. I also accept that they likely use magic to power a lot of things as well, an obvious example in the show would be Tank's propeller. If anything they use a mixture of the two energy types to power various things as I'm sure not everything can be run by electricity while at the same time powering things with magic probably requires very specialized unicorns to do so given how it's been described that unicorn magic is usually very specific to what the individual is good at.

Bro1997

The result of the lack of technology in Equestria. Boredom. Princess Celestia is the reason for banning television and internet in Equestria. It's a police state now! Everyone knows that television exists in Equestria, but Celestia bans things that will impact relationships with other ponies. This is why many bronies don't want to live in Equestria, because of no internet!

Midnight Breeze

Quote from: Bro1997 on 2014 Aug 23, 22:44:54
The result of the lack of technology in Equestria. Boredom. Princess Celestia is the reason for banning television and internet in Equestria. It's a police state now! Everyone knows that television exists in Equestria, but Celestia bans things that will impact relationships with other ponies. This is why many bronies don't want to live in Equestria, because of no internet!

If I didn't know better, I'd think you pulled that entire paragraph straight out of your booty.

AaronMk

2014 Aug 24, 01:14:48 #24 Last Edit: 2014 Aug 24, 01:40:50 by AaronMk

> No Internet in Equestria
> Brony not wanting to go to Equestria because no internet
> Not because he won't be able to cuddle his waifu
> Not because he won't be able to tuck his waifu in bed.
> Not because he would spaghetti.
> Not because the portal to Equestria totally isn't in Maine.
> Not because he knows he won't be capable of spawning a hundred satyr abominations.
> Not because he wouldn't be able to introduce the world of flight and the concept of AI to Twilight Sparkle to create plane ponies.
> Not because he wouldn't be capable of
doing loving things to waifu/husbandu.

Roll again.

Dawnstar

Honestly, I think that would just end up creeping out the pony involved coming from some random stranger from another world.

Even with all our technology I can still find myself with crippling amounts of boredom from time to time.

And, to tell the truth, I would easily trade my technology (even the internet) to be able to visit any world as friendly and peaceful as theirs (random big bads aside).

AaronMk

Quote from: Dawnstar on 2014 Aug 24, 09:48:14
Honestly, I think that would just end up creeping out the pony involved coming from some random stranger from another world.

That's why you start in hangout mode. Or perhaps pone will be first to help you in this new world.

So the realities can be pretty diverse... Don't you think?

And then abominations happen.

Dawnstar

Would still be awkward on some level I'm sure, but this is a bit off topic.

Back on topic: I realized earlier today that Equestria's technological progression has taken about half as much time to reach a similar level as our own. This is based off of assumptions of course especially since Equestria's technology is a bit more scattered in its development than our own.

My reasoning begins based on what I saw of their outfits and architecture in the dramatized flashbacks of Hearth's Warming Eve where I assume that they were at the equivalent to the end of our classical and beginning of our medieval ages for development. Another part of the reasoning is that the three once-powerful tribes were then on the brink of collapse, much akin to the fall of the Roman Empire. Granted I doubt this was the actual intent by the writers, just the conclusion I have come to.

Between then and Luna's banishment they of course made some progress since the architecture had improved from thatch huts and small castle keeps to a huge castle and much sturdier wood and stone houses all with very strong medieval and (I think) gothic style to them and the decorations therein similar to what we had in our own mid to late medieval age.

Since we know little of what progressed over the thousand years that followed I can only speculate, but given that our own medieval age alone lasted roughly 1100 years and it took roughly another 400 years just to reach the level of technology we see in areas like Appleoosa I think I can say Equestria has done far better than us at advancing it's technology. This isn't even counting areas like Manehattan which are borderline modern.

Of course this is all speculation on my part, especially since all I have to go off of are allusions from the show and the progression of outfits and architecture.

Go Up